Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Building A Tablet Computer

Hello, MMO Champion Community:

Long time lurker, first post here. I was perplexed earlier this month when searching for tablets to notice that all of the manufacturers have decided that there need to be no larger tablets than 10.1". As an Engineering student, it would be very useful for me to be able to do my sketches / classwork on a large tablet. Right now I am using an ACER EEE PC T101MT, which is a 10.1" touchscreen netbook. This functions fairly well for me, and I would like to create something similar. I would like, however, to create (basically) a laptop with a touchscreen instead of a keyboard. Imagine a normal tablet, but not thin, or sexy, or anything - just a laptop that doesn't open and has a touchscreen on the top side. I can plug in a keyboard to a USB drive if I really need it.

All that is my dream. I have a couple problems, obviously:
    1) Where do I buy laptop components? I am looking to spend ~2k on this project, and I am looking for new top-of-the-line laptop components. Do vendors sell these? I could not find any on NewEgg or CompUSA.
    2) Where can I buy 15" or 17" touchscreens? I know they exist because the all-in-one PCs that companies buy for their cash registers have them, and I have seen some bulk-ordering sites for the touchscreens. I have not been able to find any retail site that sells touchscreeens, though.
    3) Where can I order a custom case? As an Engineering student so I'll have no problem making the designs. Our machinery may be able to create something, but I was wondering if there was a 3D printing outfit or some custom case making outfit out there that would be able to make something like this. I'm looking for them and not the local school workshop for quality's sake.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Reg

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Caught in spam filter and moved to the Computer Build Help subsection.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope you realize how ridiculously overpriced this project is going to be

Buying a drawing pad for your desktop / laptop would be a better, and more accurate, investment unless you really know what you're doing with electronics and computers
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    I would advise against such a project myself.
    I believe the screen alone (assuming it will be around 14", touchscreen and with a decent dpi) will take up around half of your set budget assuming you want a quality screen. These components are usually far from cheap to get from the OEM (who usually takes orders around 100 units or more).

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Buying a drawing pad for your laptop would be a better, and more accurate, investment
    I appreciate the input, but I have not been able to find any drawing pads larger than, say, 5" by 10". I agree that this would most likely be the best solution to my problem, granted that I can get everything set up logistically (only so much room on a desk). Could you point me in the right direction here?

EDIT:
    I have found this: "Adesso CyberPad A4 Size Digital NotePad and Drawing Tablet Combo Unit" on CompUSA but it seems clunky and, frankly, out-of-date. AA Batteries? While it may yet serve the purpose very well, I am still eager to hear if you have personal experience / suggestions for better products.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I believe the screen alone will take up around half of your set budget assuming you want a quality screen.
    I am quite ready to pay for a quality screen. What vendors sell these to the public, though? Do you know of any? I have seen, like you said, some 100+ bulk orders but I could not find any for retail sale.

Thanks,
    Reg
    Last edited by Regrenos; 2011-10-29 at 12:23 AM.

Granted it is not 15" (but 12"), but still http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Slate-EP1...9858932&sr=8-1 gets pretty close in my opinion, and is using only half of your budget....

or as a 11,6" but with current I5-Gen there's this Samsung:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XE700T...859158&sr=1-22
    Last edited by Khalelia; 2011-10-29 at 03:34 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalelia View Post
    Granted it is not 15" (but 12"), but still *snip* gets pretty close in my opinion, and is using only half of your budget....

or as a 11,6" but with current I5-Gen there's this Samsung:

*snip*
    Hello Khalelia.

I have seen both the EEE Slate and the Samsung Slate, and, while they are similar to what I'm looking for, they do not really encompass what I need. Simply put, the screen is still possibly on the small end of things. Right now I'm working with a 10.1" screen and it is very cumbersome to not be able to fit my work on one "sheet" so to speak - to have to scroll side to side to see everything I'm writing. The fact that the netbook I'm using right now is a little cumbersome makes me write in larger script than I would on paper and exacerbates this problem. While the EEE Slate is no doubt a good product, I do not want to take the chance that the screen size might be insufficient. I like the size of 15" or 17" screens for what I need to do on them. The other drawback to tablets built as such is that I don't have any experience whatsoever upgrading / changing components for them, so if I'd like an upgrade it most likely will be impossible / very difficult.

I value your input, though. Thanks for pointing out the Slate products.

Reg

EDIT: Typo

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's some random blog/DIY project on making a large tablet. Since you're wanting to a similar project this may give you an idea of how to start it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7W_AuspKls

http://carbontablet.blogspot.com/
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

I can't think of who made (or used to make) those laptops where the screen could swivel around and be a touchpad facing up with the laptop closed.

Consider something like that on a 17.4 or 15.6 inch laptop? you might have to buy it used

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sephiracle - thank you! That is an amazing blog!

If there isn't a large drawing pad available, I may just follow that blog and create something similar.

Tulion - I've seen some myself, old ones. They usually have stylus-only input, from what I've seen. I was looking to find some, but I decided it would most likely be better worth my time to make/find something more cutting-edge, especially as some of the programs I use for my classes are very resource - heavy. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I found the Wacom Intuos4 tablets on Amazon, and they seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. Unless one of you guys has a personal preference (I'd value that experience over my gut reaction), I think I'll get that.

Reg
    Last edited by Regrenos; 2011-10-29 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Found one!

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    i've been using a wacom intuos4 M for almost 6 years but now i want to upgrade to a XP-Pen Innovator 16 display tablet.
    XP-Pen also produce normal graphic tablets without displays.

Try the XP-Pen Deco 01 V2 ( xp-pen.com/product/461.html ) tablet. It's 10 by 6.25 working area , comes with 8 customizable hotkeys, nice and slim design, and plus it's something you can afford! It has mostly positive reviews.

The Wacom Cintiq is what you want. I use Wacom as well and the Cintiq has a 22" display etc. Totes worth. With a 2k budget, I'm surprised you haven't seen these yet. They are industry standard pretty much. Good luck in your search!

https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Cintiq-...84&sr=8-4&th=1
    Last edited by Hollycakes; 2020-07-10 at 09:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tiankong View Post
    i've been using a wacom intuos4 M for almost 6 years but now i want to upgrade to a XP-Pen Innovator 16 display tablet.
    XP-Pen also produce normal graphic tablets without displays.

Try the XP-Pen Deco 01 V2 ( xp-pen.com/product/461.html ) tablet. It's 10 by 6.25 working area , comes with 8 customizable hotkeys, nice and slim design, and plus it's something you can afford! It has mostly positive reviews.
    Holy fuck, 9 years old. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Holy fuck, 9 years old. Great job.
    No doubt. I saw “CompUSA” and was like...u wot m8? Oh, 9 year old thread.

How do people even find these to post on them?

Something here is bothering me, are you intending to take said device into lectures etc...

You are wanting to do sketches, on what software are you made to use?

What exactly is this used for?

Because if you need to sketches to jot ideas, if you need something that has a touch screen interface that you can use as a drawing pad, then the very very device for this thats actually affordable is a Ipad, air or pro with the pencil type device and you could take this into class it self.

A cintiq or the drawing tablets here people have mentioned require the device to be connected to a computer to work, they don't work on their own.

Are you intending to take such a device out and about?

Last edited by Thoriangun; 2020-07-10 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    Something here is bothering me, are you intending to take said device into lectures etc...

You are wanting to do sketches, on what software are you made to use?

What exactly is this used for?

Because if you need to sketches to jot ideas, if you need something that has a touch screen interface that you can use as a drawing pad, then the very very device for this thats actually affordable is a Ipad, air or pro with the pencil type device and you could take this into class it self.

A cintiq or the drawing tablets here people have mentioned require the device to be connected to a computer to work, they don't work on their own.

Are you intending to take such a device out and about?

Dude... It's a NINE YEAR OLD Necro.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Dude... It's a NINE YEAR OLD Necro.
    Ah my bad then, never look at the dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    Ah my bad then, never look at the dates.
    lol i usually miss them too, but Temp and I were mentioning it above your post.

mention of CompUSA gave it away. Theyve been bankrupt and gone for a long time now.

10+ Year Old Account
    CompUSA and this thread will have something in common soon. Both are closed.

=D
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab