Thread: Make Flying Fun

Lightbulb Make Flying Fun

Here's my grain of sand on making WoW more fun. Flying currently suffers from generic mechanics, its fun riding on a dragon the first time you do it but after that it simply becomes a means to an end: getting there. Since the era of the mini-games has begun, I propose blizz adds BASIC flight mechanics to mounts. For example, flying up too steeply causes you to stall and fall, flying down actually increases your speed the steeper you fly down to a point where you can lose control and die. Landing at full speed with a 90 degree inclination, guess what? It kills you. So on and so forth, I believe this mechanics would be simple to implement, controlled with nothing but your mouse and good ol' WASD. I understand this is not a flying game but... Make flying diverse and fun. Make that rocket feel different from a drake. All mounts can have the same top speed, but different accelerations, climbing angles, top descending speeds etc.

What say you?

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think it would be interesting, there'd be too much qq about wasted development time and whatnot

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

I think flying would be more fun if you could barrel roll to the sides, and if there were turbulence effects. Also, the clouds in Uldum were something I'd never considered. I've flown in planes a lot, I've gone around the Earth one direction until I was back where I started, and when I saw the clouds I could fly through in Uldum something that was missing for years suddenly fit into place. The entire world should have cloud cover like this, it makes you really feel like you're in the sky.

Personally, I love joysticks and have one, and would love for them to be compatible with WOW if you happen to have one. Flight could be more than just a glorified swim mechanic with a reskin.

---------- Post added 2011-10-29 at 12:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    While I think it would be interesting, there'd be too much qq about wasted development time and whatnot
    There is QQ about all things. Citing the QQ is no reason at all not to pursue something, ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    This.. It does sound like a good idea though.

10+ Year Old Account
    BLIZZARD! Y U NO SPEND MONEY ON RAIDS AND WASTE ON MOUNT MECHANICS

etc etc

I think its a decent idea though.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think flying downwards should speed you up but we don't need a full fledged system with barrel rolls and turbulence.

Some work on the flight path animations would be nice too. It really pulls me out of the game when a Gryphon or Wyvern is flapping it's wings in slow motion and remains in flight...

While I also feel flying could be much more exciting, I also think it ruined the sense of Azeroth's world and turned the game into a relay race of waiting while you go in straight lines from one point to the next. I wish there was a way to balance it out. More dangerous sky mobs perhaps to keep you being careful and paying attention. I don't like cruise controlling all over the place, and often I choose not to. But having the option shatters the boundaries that keep this atmosphere of a world feeling believable in some sense.

Still, I think flying could be much more exciting.

Its just a way of getting around. Personally I think flying in Kali and EK kinda ruined things. Adding in all the silliness of different mount effects is just time wasted.