Thread: The UFC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    [video=youtube;KKlDNsPBTxg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKlDNsPBTxg[video]

I'm done
    *cringeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

He feels a bit irrelevant right now to be honest. How long's it been since he fought? Like 6 months?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny that we're saying that in some remote web forum, considering he's one of the top paid athletes and is recognizable across the world. He's also fucking brilliant to keep doing ads like this cashing in on his personality while not having to fight. I bet BK paid him millions for this sponsorship, likely more than he would earn from fighting the next couple of years.

But, mark my words, he will fight in 2018 because win or lose he has to keep his show going. Would not surprise me if he can bounce to another MMA promotion and get paid big money to clear out their divisions with less risk to himself and very catered fights. People like to hate, but he really did earn his place. He fought anyone at any time coming up through UFC and delivered on just about every prediction. He was a phenom and a workhorse. In 8 years he fought 24 fights. That's an average of 3 fights a year (with no fights in the last two) and has only lost 3 times in that entire span, only 1 of which was in his UFC tenure.

You just don't see many guys doing that and then also being smart enough to demand money, look for outside opportunities, etc. Even if you think he's the biggest douche on the planet, you can't deny he put in the time and then is a good business man. Now is he responsible in his personal life? Probably not man. Wouldn't surprise me to find him hit with tax crimes in the next 10 years and wind up in prison. Hopefully his family will keep him straight, we will see.
    BAD WOLF

Oh no, it's obviously good for him to do promotions to make as much money as possible. As far as I'm concerned (and Dana says this too), he's probably the biggest showman and good at hyping himself up so that he does make big money. And yeah, he did fight well enough to get to this position.

The commercial is still cringey.

Although yeah I think soon he will start hyping up his comeback and he will fight again in 2018. Of course he will. Probably. I mean, he made enough money to retire, but he'll probably be able to make MEGA money for barely any work for the next few years with low risk to himself, so he'll probably do it for the sake of $$.

Hmmmmmm no fights tonight. There's a fight next weekend. Then 2 weeks of no fights. Then UFC 223. Things slowed down. I was liking having a fight every Saturday...

I guess I'll watch basketball tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    It's funny that we're saying that in some remote web forum, considering he's one of the top paid athletes and is recognizable across the world. He's also fucking brilliant to keep doing ads like this cashing in on his personality while not having to fight. I bet BK paid him millions for this sponsorship, likely more than he would earn from fighting the next couple of years.

But, mark my words, he will fight in 2018 because win or lose he has to keep his show going. Would not surprise me if he can bounce to another MMA promotion and get paid big money to clear out their divisions with less risk to himself and very catered fights. People like to hate, but he really did earn his place. He fought anyone at any time coming up through UFC and delivered on just about every prediction. He was a phenom and a workhorse. In 8 years he fought 24 fights. That's an average of 3 fights a year (with no fights in the last two) and has only lost 3 times in that entire span, only 1 of which was in his UFC tenure.

You just don't see many guys doing that and then also being smart enough to demand money, look for outside opportunities, etc. Even if you think he's the biggest douche on the planet, you can't deny he put in the time and then is a good business man. Now is he responsible in his personal life? Probably not man. Wouldn't surprise me to find him hit with tax crimes in the next 10 years and wind up in prison. Hopefully his family will keep him straight, we will see.
    Except when you get famous/millions of fans for being unique/authentic then just cash out of the game that made you in the first place.

I said he was retired and his actions speak volume. Hes a fighter, he should be fighting while hes young. They dont have a long career

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    Hes a fighter, he should be fighting while hes young. They dont have a long career
    How many other fighters are making multimillion dollar contracts to make commercials, film their own documentary, and fight in a sport that poses no danger to you in the long run like your primary one? They don't have a long career, so even better reason to fight less and make more money. Pretty simple logic tbh. He avoids lots of future medical bills while making bank.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    How many other fighters are making multimillion dollar contracts to make commercials, film their own documentary, and fight in a sport that poses no danger to you in the long run like your primary one? They don't have a long career, so even better reason to fight less and make more money. Pretty simple logic tbh. He avoids lots of future medical bills while making bank.
    I'm not arguing its better for conor. Hes entitled to do whatever he likes.

He wont be remembered as a great fighter though. Just a marketing tool. Which shouldn't be the tale told when retelling his legacy. Or lack there of.

Nate Diaz, a KO on aldo and watching him run out of gas vs a 50 year old boxer is his legacy so far. And BK ads. Woot? Hes a unique person who could go much further.

How much money do you need at the end of the day. The career should be the focus with athletes. When they retire They always talk about what trophies they won. Not how much they got paid for a BK ad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    I'm not arguing its better for conor. Hes entitled to do whatever he likes.

He wont be remembered as a great fighter though.
    Ah, k. Totally right there.
    BAD WOLF

Today's fight is 5 PM cause it's in England. Day fight, nice. I'll definitely tune in. If I remember. Someone bump the thread when it's time. It doesn't say to watch on Fox or something or ??? might have to find a stream. I wouldn't mind, to be honest...I love day streams. I don't mind sitting at my computer when I have energy (during the day).

10+ Year Old Account
    What the fuck man?!

Tony is out injured and Khabib is fighting Max instead for a lightweight title. I mean, I love that fight as well but I have been looking forward to that Khabib vs Tony fight for so long and it has been cancelled like four times already.

On a different note, Dana said Conor is not replacing Tony because he doesn't want Conor to step in on short notice as they want a proper time to promote his fight. Is this a weird way to fight and milk his star power at the same time? I mean, Conor has been saying he is ready to step in during the whole UFC 223 build up.

On the other hand if Max somehow wins the Lightweight title, him and Conor has to bang it up with possibly two belts on the line. Now, that would be fucking HUGE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dana doesn't want to offer the fight to Conor because he needs time to generate the money he will owe him. Conor will certainly fight anyone any time still, but only for mega millions. If Dana can't give that, he knows he can't get him. Good on Max for stepping up, but he's gonna get trashed. As much as I would like to see him take out Khabib...not gonna happen.
    BAD WOLF

https://deadspin.com/conor-mcgregor-...cad-1825020737

So this is a thing...

I've always thought McGregor was a bit of a hype job hack, but this just proves that he isn't a hype job, just an unstable hack.

Dana White said he isn't going to do business with McGregor anymore, we'll see....

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mcgregor and the rest of the Straight Bums' Gym acting like autistic apes like usual.

Damn guys I'd have fucking gone if I knew it was gonna be juicy.

I hope McGregor loses all of his sponsors and gets absolutely fucking sued and arrested. He may think he's untouchable and it's his charisma/persona, but that's just some fucking street rioter bullshit that he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Damn guys I'd have fucking gone if I knew it was gonna be juicy.

I hope McGregor loses all of his sponsors and gets absolutely fucking sued and arrested. He may think he's untouchable and it's his charisma/persona, but that's just some fucking street rioter bullshit that he was doing.
    There is already a warrant out for his arrest. Considering he hurt a fighter that may not be able to compete now.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    https://deadspin.com/conor-mcgregor-...cad-1825020737

So this is a thing...

I've always thought McGregor was a bit of a hype job hack, but this just proves that he isn't a hype job, just an unstable hack.

Dana White said he isn't going to do business with McGregor anymore, we'll see....
    Please, Dana White would sell out his own kids for a bigger cheque. Hes back peddled with Jon Jones multiple times, hes just a hacky business man with morals that sway in the breeze for the highest bidder.

Conor is pretty lame now, over 500 days since his last fight and he acts like hes a king, its a bore.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Please, Dana White would sell out his own kids for a bigger cheque. Hes back peddled with Jon Jones multiple times, hes just a hacky business man with morals that sway in the breeze for the highest bidder.
    Oh I forgot to read the rest of McFuu's post.

Yeah I agree with RobertoCarlos, Dana isn't someone that means what he says. He'll change his mind quickly.

Dana: "I can't give Jon Jones a main event. It's gonna take too much money to advertise it and it's gonna cost me. Can't do it."
    Press: "But everyone wants to see Jones vs. Cormier II."
    Jones: "pls Dana ill b gud *turns around to drink some of his "protein" shake*"
    Dana: "ALRIGHT UFC 214 MAIN EVENT: $JONES VS. CORMIER$ Start buying the PPV faggots! "

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    There is already a warrant out for his arrest. Considering he hurt a fighter that may not be able to compete now.
    I read that the NYPD refuted the claims that there's an arrest warrant for Conor. Damn chumps, where are my tax dollars going? I don't feel safe with this mofo on the streets.

Who can I call about this??? I'm actually a bit upset that a psycho can show up somewhere he's not invited too, throw chairs at buses, and get away without any issue. This isn't fake wrestling where throwing chairs is part of the show.

Deleted
    There's only one way to settle this. HELL... IN A CELL!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any personal respect for this action, but I think Nate Diaz' tweet about the whole thing sums it up best. (in case people don't realize Kabibby started it)
    He shouldn't have been trying to punk his boy when he was alone, like a bully. Then he expects not to get rolled on fukn rookie..
    And then stay on the bus
    haha u guys got punked ....
    So I mean...I guess Conor is legit Irish and probably has gang mentality bred in him. In that light, he was just standing up to a bully trying to put one over on his 'brother'. But in real life, he just insanely attacked a bus full of innocent people with no regard to their safety. As many fucked up people as have been in the UFC, they've never had to really think what if someone gets murdered at a presser. Now Conor has made that infinitely more possible, so I can't really stand behind this at all.
    BAD WOLF

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    athletes (let alone athletes that get punched in the face for a living) aren't exactly the brightest human beings on earth lol