Thread: The UFC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    My amateur eye can't help to notice that the absence of a cage would severely cripple Khabib's odds. His sambo seems to work as long as there's a sturdy obstacle agaisnt to work his opponent.
    Far from it; Khabib merely knows how to use the cage to his advantage, like most cage fighters do, by the way. Khabib is an elite level grappler, he didn't win ADCC by coincidence. The result wouldn't have been any different without a cage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PokeKitty View Post
    Dustin had like 2 opportunities to go all-in at Khabib. First is the right hand that hit Khabib, if he managed to do more hard combinations he could take Khabib down, but Dustin punches missed a lot and then Khabib did a counter punch. The second one was the choke, I think Khabib found the counters to that choke by use the hand to get the arm away. I heared about Khabib was trying to make Dustin waste all his energy to use that choke, if you watch the post fight conference Khabib explained about that.

I think Michael Johnson and the real estate agent guy did more to Khabib lol, I mean the real estate agent actually lasted 5 rounds.

Meh I had to go to a different bar to watch this fight, the other bar close to my home doesn't host UFC anymore, today this bar was like 7 wings for $15 ...
    It's very hard to guillotine someone if you can't control the hips; Khabib's escape was by the book, he climbed over the knee and relieved pressure. Now, Poirier could've gone to an Anaconda- or D'Arce choke after that, but that requires you to be mentally on point. Poirier was burnt, he was done. That guillotine was his last resort and he obviously wanted that to work. When Khabib escaped he gave Poirier the final moral blow that completely crushed an already beaten man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by martygraham View Post
    Khabib is just too good. The only guy that has a chance at the moment is probably Tony Ferguson. He's an unpredictable striker with crazy heart so if anyone stands a chance...it should be him.
    He sure has heart. I'm just not sure the rest is on par.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    soon as he gets you, that's pretty much the game.
    Unless you're an experienced ground fighter yourself. Jiu Jitsu/Sambo is going to beat Khabib and nothing else, which is why Tibau gave Khabib such a damn hard time.

Hope I'll get the chance to roll with Khabib one day.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-09-17 at 07:38 AM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well...that was anticlimactic and even though Stephens is normally pretty straight up/tough...that was sketch. 1) I could barely tell he got a finger graze across his eye. From the super slo-mo, I could buy that it happened but it looked like it should be manageable after 5 minutes. 2) The eye in the replay is not the eye he told Herb and the Doctor he couldn't open. So...wtf?
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Skipped most of UFC243 to watch GGG fight, big regret.

On the right show now just in time to see Whittaker/Adesanya, been waiting for this for months.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whittaker just...didn't even show up. Very disappointing fight in your home region.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Whittaker had a gameplan to get in and land a few bombs hoping to unsettle Adesanya but Stylebender just was absolutely phenomenal. The dodge from Whittaker's high kick just before the knockout was simply unreal.

Best fighter in the world lb for lb right now. Gonna take something incredible to unseat him.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Far from it; Khabib merely knows how to use the cage to his advantage, like most cage fighters do, by the way. Khabib is an elite level grappler, he didn't win ADCC by coincidence. The result wouldn't have been any different without a cage.

- - - Updated - - -

It's very hard to guillotine someone if you can't control the hips; Khabib's escape was by the book, he climbed over the knee and relieved pressure. Now, Poirier could've gone to an Anaconda- or D'Arce choke after that, but that requires you to be mentally on point. Poirier was burnt, he was done. That guillotine was his last resort and he obviously wanted that to work. When Khabib escaped he gave Poirier the final moral blow that completely crushed an already beaten man.

- - - Updated - - -

He sure has heart. I'm just not sure the rest is on par.
    True. Who else in the division you think has a chance against khabib? Just don't see anyone other than Ferguson at the moment.

In other news...who you got on the DIAZ vs MASVIDAL fight? It's going to be a brawl!
    Currently reading about fantasy dragon dildos because mythical creatures + adult content is the shiznit.

Quote Originally Posted by martygraham View Post
    True. Who else in the division you think has a chance against khabib? Just don't see anyone other than Ferguson at the moment.

In other news...who you got on the DIAZ vs MASVIDAL fight? It's going to be a brawl!
    Oh Khabib? No one. For Khabib you need a strong-minded jiu jitsu guy that isn't afraid of being taken to the ground. Ferguson is legit, don't get me wrong. I just don't see him beating Khabib, maybe due to his clownish behaviour.

Oof, Nate vs Jorge is going to be a fun one. My gut says Nate, but you never know. As a grappler, I hope the fight goes to the ground early
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't see the point of this Reyes fight, should be facing Smith in a title eliminator, winner fights Santos to determine Jones's next opponent, because he needs one soon before he juices up again.

Maia vs Askren

Jiu Jitsu, baby

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    My amateur eye can't help to notice that the absence of a cage would severely cripple Khabib's odds. His sambo seems to work as long as there's a sturdy obstacle agaisnt to work his opponent.
    The cage doesn't happen to just be there and help him, he is the one deciding to use it and adapting his fighting style to what is at his disposal. He was winning in sambo without a cage and his first MMA fights were all in a ring with no wall to help him do anything. Just because he uses the cage now doesn't mean he can't fight without using the cage. It's like saying you see me type on a keyboard it must mean that I have no idea how to hand write, one does not prove the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Maia vs Askren

Jiu Jitsu, baby
    yeah this fight was a great example of the absence of finishing ability wrestling has. Wrestling is just a way to direct the fight, it feeds the other martial arts to keep the fight standing or going down but while being at either end (standing or on the mat) wrestling does nothing, you need striking and BJJ to complement wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    wrestling does nothing, you need striking and BJJ to complement wrestling.
    Well, I wouldn't say wrestling does nothing. On the contrary, wrestling is amazing for control and crushing pressure. But Maia knows what he's doing and as you've already pointed out: jiu jitsu and wrestling should be combined, which in most schools is already done.

AJ Agazarm's post on instagram made me chuckle; he said something like the octagon isn't a secondary bed, or something ^^

3+ Year Old Account
    Well, I wouldn't say wrestling does nothing. On the contrary, wrestling is amazing for control and crushing pressure. But Maia knows what he's doing and as you've already pointed out: jiu jitsu and wrestling should be combined, which in most schools is already done.

AJ Agazarm's post on instagram made me chuckle; he said something like the octagon isn't a secondary bed, or something ^^
    I meant it does nothing for finishing a fight, it controls where the next step goes and that next step will finish the fight, submission or ground and pound or keeping it on the feet.

I'd like to see someone with such a savage double leg it slams the opponent so hard it knocks them out.

I'd like to see someone with such a savage double leg it slams the opponent so hard it knocks them out.
    It happens all the time in grappling tournaments. Besides, traditional wrestling has submissions too, jiu jitsu's just does it better. Nicky Rodriguez beat a few established black belts at ADCC (the most prestigious grappling tournament in the world) as a bjj blue belt. He did that mostly with his extensive wrestling knowledge.

3+ Year Old Account
    It happens all the time in grappling tournaments. Besides, traditional wrestling has submissions too, jiu jitsu's just does it better. Nicky Rodriguez beat a few established black belts at ADCC (the most prestigious grappling tournament in the world) as a bjj blue belt. He did that mostly with his extensive wrestling knowledge.
    I mean the guy does a double leg, they land, and the other guy gets KO'd from the impact. That really happened before? I never even heard of anything close to that. If it did I really wanna see that cuz that's crazy lol.

I mean the guy does a double leg, they land, and the other guy gets KO'd from the impact. That really happened before? I never even heard of anything close to that. If it did I really wanna see that cuz that's crazy lol.
    Slams happen, which is why they're illegal in IBJJF (stupid, if you ask me. Then again, IBJJF is stupid in general). KO's after a double leg, not so much. But there are instances of it happening if you look for them. I've seen people knock themselves out because they didn't posture properly ^^

3+ Year Old Account
    Slams happen, which is why they're illegal in IBJJF (stupid, if you ask me. Then again, IBJJF is stupid in general). KO's after a double leg, not so much. But there are instances of it happening if you look for them. I've seen people knock themselves out because they didn't posture properly ^^

Rofl that's hilarious.

It's kind of dirty, but when I was still competing professionally, whenever I'd shoot, I'd try to drive straight through them, and just shove my head straight up underneath my opponent's chin. I definitely dazed some girls from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess Nurmagomedov vs Ferguson is official now, both signed.

Let's hope it actually happens - they need to keep all the tiramisu and television wires out of the visible distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    It's kind of dirty, but when I was still competing professionally, whenever I'd shoot, I'd try to drive straight through them, and just shove my head straight up underneath my opponent's chin. I definitely dazed some girls from it.
    That's exactly how you shoot; drive through them and keep your head high so you won't be guillotined.

That's exactly how you shoot; drive through them and keep your head high so you won't be guillotined.
    I mean I literally headbutt people.
    Last edited by Polyxo; 2019-12-12 at 09:46 AM.