Thread: The UFC Thread

Page 3 of 197 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't the war i was hoping it would be but i still enjoyed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    DSJ was more focused and on his game tonight, Cain's lack of active time for a good while after he beat Lesnar due to the shoulder injury showed. Amazing fighter though he'll come back.

Looking forward to Lesnar/Overeem. Lesnar's long awaited return after the various illnesses and injuries that kept him sidelined against the guy making the jump from SF. To be honest either will give DSJ a great fight, but I think Lesnar's lack of action will be the telling card as it was with DSJ and Cain tonight. Overeem's had two bouts since Lesnar's last fight.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    That entire card delivered as far as I'm concerned.
    Pity about the clash of heads early on but enjoyed all of it.

Henderson and Guida was awesome, and the main event was spot on my expectations (and hopes tbh)

15+ Year Old Account
    I totally forgot to watch this today. Needless to say, I was pissed lol. That shot by Dos Santos, yikes. He smashed Cain with that right.

Nice work Glassjaw Velasquez. Chieck Kongo figured that out back in 2009, the only difference is that Dos Santos is actually a good fighter and could finish.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Nice work Glassjaw Velasquez. Chieck Kongo figured that out back in 2009, the only difference is that Dos Santos is actually a good fighter and could finish.
    He got tagged behind the ear. It's got nothing at all to do with him having a glassjaw as you are implying.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    He got tagged behind the ear. It's got nothing at all to do with him having a glassjaw as you are implying.
    The term "glass jaw" has very little to do with just being hit in the jaw. It applies to anyone who cannot take a punch or is knocked out easily....like Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The term "glass jaw" has very little to do with just being hit in the jaw. It applies to anyone who cannot take a punch or is knocked out easily....like Cain.
    That wasn't my point. No one is going to take a solid punch on, or behind the ear and not get dropped especially if you're getting hit by JDS. It completely messes with your equilibrium.

If you're arguing that he can't take a punch because he's gotten dropped by Kongo and JDS then that's a -very- weak argument. If he goes on to get KO'd in subsequent fights after this then I might agree with you, but using those two as a gauge for whether or not someone can take a hit is absurd. They're two of the hardest hitters in the HW division.

That wasn't my point. No one is going to take a solid punch on, or behind the ear and not get dropped especially if you're getting hit by JDS. It completely messes with your equilibrium.

If you're arguing that he can't take a punch because he's gotten dropped by Kongo and JDS then that's a -very- weak argument. If he goes on to get KO'd in subsequent fights after this then I might agree with you, but using those two as a gauge for whether or not someone can take a hit is absurd. They're two of the hardest hitters in the HW division.
    Then we're just going to have to see. Doesn't stop me from forming an opinion nor am I forcing you to agree. But thus far he's only been threatened in fights against heavy hitters. The only exception being Ben Rothwell; though despite his record is hardly a top contender.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2011-11-15 at 02:41 AM.

Hendo v. Shogun this Saturday. Should be a good card overall.

Hendo v. Shogun this Saturday. Should be a good card overall.
    Really should be. Who's your money on?
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    How do people feel about a drug cheat ( sonnen ) being given a title shot so soon?

Personally I feel like drug cheats in combat sports are much worse than drug cheats in athletics because you're directly inflicting harm on the opponent, not just competing against them.
    there is no such thing as cheating at that level of anything. you are willing to do anything to be better or you're the one who will never be great because he refuses to go all out.

he's a high quality fighter. i like watching him fight. drugs or not, i don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    Really should be. Who's your money on?
    Hendo and Shogun are both two of my favorite fighters, but Shogun can be hot or cold, so I'm thinking Dan wears him out against the cage towards a UD or a KO in the 3rd. But I wouldn't be upset if Shogun won either, but I don't think he KOs Hendo, instead he'll use his speed and pick him apart on the outside. The big question for me is whether Shogun's cardio is up to par in the later rounds (correct me if I'm wrong but I do think this one is a 5 rounder?).

I fear Wandy is getting KO'd by a kick to the head from Le, but I'll never root against him.

Faber via UD.

I want to say Kampmann via UD, but judges seem to hate him. Still pulling for him though. I think he got robbed vs. Diego. Diego looked like a victim in a slasher flick:

Going with Bonnar via Split Decision.

For the main card.. let's see...
    Stephan Bonnar vs Kyle Kingsbury - I think I'm rooting for Kingsbury, I like Bonnar but I think Kingsbury is cuter (yes I'm a girl I'm allowed to vote by which one's cuter! *grin*)
    Martin Kampmann vs Rick Story - Story in this one.. He was on a win streak till he lost to Brenneman in a decision. Kampmann's lost his last 2 to Diego Sanchez and Shields.

Faber vs Bowles - Faber! I adore Urijah Faber, he's such a cutie patootie *grin* I think he's an awesome fighter as well.

Silva vs Le - WAR Wanderlei! I have to root for him, he's such a tenacious fighter, although I suspect he might be going the way of Liddell, just not able to take the punches as well anymore. Still have to cheer for him though.

Rua vs Henderson - Hendo! I want to see another knockout a la Bisping *snicker*

10+ Year Old Account
    Two of my favorite pride fighters on the same card? Wandy and Hendo FTW!
    I think Hendo wins via H bomb or UD, nothing against shogun though, shogun is an awesome fighter!
    I am thinking Cung Lee might win this because Wandy's chin just isn't what it used to be. I will still be rooting for Wandy since he is one of my favorite fighters of all time. WAR Wanderlei!!!

Faber is another fighter i like and i think he can beat Bowles.

Def going to be wearing my Pride FC shirt for this!

Whoa, Bonnar fighting smart.

Terrible crowd tonight.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2011-11-20 at 02:35 AM.

Just watched the prelims. Looks like it's gonna be a short night for the spectators :P Sadly, I will not be watching the main card til tomorrow. My picks:
    Urijah Faber over Bowles. I think Urijah simply has him outlcassed in almost every dept. Urijah by unanimous.
    Wanderlei Silva over Cung Le. OK... I hate TKD *tae kwon do* It's the McDonald's of martial arts and it'd be interesting to see it used successfully but I'm a Wanderlei fan. I do not see this fight going the distance.
    Story over Kampmann. I'd hate to see Kampmann lose cause he'd probly get axed from the roster but I think Story will take this.
    Bonnar over Kingsbury. There will be blood. No matter how well Bonnar does he is covered in his own blood every fight. Bonnar via Rocky-esque KO
    Rua over Hendo. I haven't heard any info on Shogun being injured so he is going to be invincible *sans Jon Jones of course*
    Last edited by Iluvbigjugs; 2011-11-20 at 09:14 PM. Reason: grammar

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think i could have ever asked for a better UFC card! there wasn't a single bad fight, all the fights were very entertaining, and on top of all that my two favorite fighters of all time won their fights and both put on great performances. The fight between Hendo and Shogun was one hell of a war and could possibly become one of my favorite fights.

Shogun v. Hendo = Fight of the Year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shogun v. Hendo = Fight of the Year.
    Without a doubt!
    By far the best $45 i have ever spent.