Thread: The UFC Thread

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Silva Overeem fight was fucking awesome

So surprised that Overeem got knocked out, but yeah why he was not even attempting to guard punches was kinda stupid.

Gotta have respect for your opponent at all times at a class where pretty much everyone has KO power.

Wonder how much longer the Blackzilian camp is going to be around? At some point I'm going to try to compile a collective record for everyone since they joined the Blackzilians. I suspect it's not all that great.

Here we go ladies and gents! I just hope it doesn't end in the first.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 12:53 AM ----------

49-46? I hate judges in this sport so much. I had it 2 rounds each with the 3rd a toss up.

Was not expecting Overeem to get KO'ed. That's what happens when you get cocky.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    49-46? I hate judges in this sport so much. I had it 2 rounds each with the 3rd a toss up.
    Same here.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 12:23 PM ----------

Wonder how much longer the Blackzilian camp is going to be around? At some point I'm going to try to compile a collective record for everyone since they joined the Blackzilians. I suspect it's not all that great.
    Rashad Evans -- lost his last 2 fights
    Alistair Overeem -- lost his last fight
    Matt Mitrione -- lost his last fight
    Melvin Guillard -- lost his last 2 fights
    Thiago Silva -- 2 NC and 1 loss in last 3 fights
    Michael Johnson -- lost his last fight
    Marcus Aurelio -- lost his last fight
    Miguel Torres -- lost his last 2 fights
    Claude Patrick -- lost his last fight

So basically Vitor, AJ, Alvarez, Siyar, and Santiago are the only notable fighters at that org who are coming off wins. They have some talented fighters but what I think they need is a good coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaped View Post
    So surprised that Overeem got knocked out, but yeah why he was not even attempting to guard punches was kinda stupid.
    You're surprised someone that can't take a punch and had his hands down the whole fight got knocked out? I was waiting for him to get knocked out, I just though JDS was going to be the one to do it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 06:59 PM ----------

Gotta have respect for your opponent at all times at a class where pretty much everyone has KO power.

Here we go ladies and gents! I just hope it doesn't end in the first.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 12:53 AM ----------

Personally, I had it
    10-9 Aldo
    10-9 Aldo
    10-9 Edgar
    10-8 Edgar
    10-9 Edgar

He was fucking ROBBED. I went in not wanting either to lose, but that was just robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    You're surprised someone that can't take a punch and had his hands down the whole fight got knocked out? I was waiting for him to get knocked out, I just though JDS was going to be the one to do it.
    Now that both are coming off losses we might get to finally see them fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Not pOO flinger View Post
    Now that both are coming off losses we might get to finally see them fight.

That's what I've been thinking lately. Maybe this is the chance for those two to fight. It'd be awesome to see him get knocked out by ANOTHER brazilian!
    EXPOSE THAT CHIN!

That's what I've been thinking lately. Maybe this is the chance for those two to fight. It'd be awesome to see him get knocked out by ANOTHER brazilian!
    EXPOSE THAT CHIN!
    My other thought is that the UFC might not want to make that fight. JDS is a destroyer and Reem is quite marketable to the casual fans because of his looks/size. If that fight were to happen next someone would have to lose. Two losses in a row for either fighter can seriously hurt their marketability and chances are it would be Reem that loses. Just some food for thought.

I would like that fight to happen next and it makes sense (for non casual fans) for it to happen next. I would also heavily favor JDS in that fight.

My other thought is that the UFC might not want to make that fight. JDS is a destroyer and Reem is quite marketable to the casual fans because of his looks/size. If that fight were to happen next someone would have to lose. Two losses in a row for either fighter can seriously hurt their marketability and chances are it would be Reem that loses. Just some food for thought.

I would like that fight to happen next and it makes sense (for non casual fans) for it to happen next. I would also heavily favor JDS in that fight.
    I understand that completely. People like Overeem simply for his massive roided out physique. At this point, he would be better suited for body building competitions or fighting the lower level heavyweights that don't have cinderblocks hidden under their 4 ounce gloves.
    The real sad thing is, even with this loss, I give him #3 Heavyweight in the world. I would not mind seeing him vs Frank Mir or Daniel Cormier. Daniel Cormier just to make a clear #3 Heavyweight.

My top 5 heavyweights:
    1. Cain
    2. JDS
    3. Overeem
    4. Cormier
    5. Werdum

I want to see a healthy/motivated JDS against Cain for a third match.

Overeem is a better boxer than JDS is when he actually tries but, Overeem has a glass chin.

don't have cinderblocks hidden under their 4 ounce gloves.

I want to see a healthy/motivated JDS against Cain for a third match.
    That's pretty much all heavyweights, though. But yeah, Overeem has shown a capacity to wilt under pressure.

Concerning the second part I really hope you're not saying JDS wasn't motivated/healthy in the 2nd fight....

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 11:00 AM ----------

Alright, so at least Pettis is in title contention at LW and coming off a couple solid wins, so it's not too far fetched to give him a shot at FW I guess.

Not going to lie though, Aldo v. Pettis at 145 for the strap gives me a chubby: http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-aldo-on-aug-3

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Overeem is a better boxer than JDS is when he actually tries but, Overeem has a glass chin.
    JDS is also faster than Overeem.

Alright, so at least Pettis is in title contention at LW and coming off a couple solid wins, so it's not too far fetched to give him a shot at FW I guess.

Not going to lie though, Aldo v. Pettis at 145 for the strap gives me a chubby: http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-aldo-on-aug-3
    Holy crap, Dana actually gave him the title shot? Can't wait for that fight!
    Click the picture

That's pretty much all heavyweights, though. But yeah, Overeem has shown a capacity to wilt under pressure.

Concerning the second part I really hope you're not saying JDS wasn't motivated/healthy in the 2nd fight....

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 11:00 AM ----------

JDS really wasn't healthy or motivated in that second fight. Fighters are people and when your wife leaves you, you go through a lot. You lose a lot of what/who you are.

I wouldn't want Pettis/Aldo at 145. Aldo has shown his cardio at 145 is trash. 2.5 rounds maximum is what he has in him, if he can't knock you out early, you can outlast him. That's what Edgar did, he took those 2 rounds of brutal shots and then outstruck and outmatched Aldo. He has too much muscle to keep doing this to himself.
    I want Pettis vs Bendo/Melendez winner (probably Bendo) and then Aldo vs the winner of that fight for 155 strap. But first, I want Aldo v Cerrone at 155 just so I can see Cerrone get knocked out AGAIN. It makes me laugh every time.

Pettis doesn't get his shot until August, so I'm thinking if anything happens to Melendez between now and then Pettis will be able to fill in. That's my thinking, at least.

I can't say I'm that excited for Bendo v. Melendez. Melendez hasn't looked like a world beater in his past couple Strikeforce defenses.

Pettis doesn't get his shot until August, so I'm thinking if anything happens to Melendez between now and then Pettis will be able to fill in. That's my thinking, at least.

I can't say I'm that excited for Bendo v. Melendez. Melendez hasn't looked like a world beater in his past couple Strikeforce defenses.
    I love watching Bendo fight. I want to see him vs Pettis again, but Pettis doesn't think he is as much of a challenge as Aldo.
    Bendo is just REALLY good. Him v Diaz was an amazing fight, a one-sided domination that provided a blue print against boxers. One that we all knew, but he executed the game plan incredibly and on top of that, he did it all with a TOOTH PICK IN HIS MOUTH.

Watched tonight's episode of TUF and I must say I am really loving this new documentary type feel. I am also impressed with Sonnen and Jones' level of professionalism on this show. Granted I've only seen two episodes, they sure seem to be handling their fighters and themselves very well.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 02:53 PM ----------

Barnett declines UFC contract offer

Well, that sucks!
    Last edited by Not pOO flinger; 2013-02-06 at 07:20 AM.
    Click the picture

Watched tonight's episode of TUF and I must say I am really loving this new documentary type feel. I am also impressed with Sonnen and Jones' level of professionalism on this show. Granted I've only seen two episodes, they sure seem to be handling their fighters and themselves very well.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 02:53 PM ----------

Barnett declines UFC contract offer

Well, that sucks!

There never was any question for me about their professionalism. I knew immediately that Sonnen would be the better coach, and so far he has been. Better match ups and better picks. They have no real beef, Sonnen got in because he said yes to a fight, Jones needed to recover his arm before he could fight again and it just MADE SENSE. When TUF has champions coaching, it's usually the best ratings. Putting two guys in there like they did Nelson v Carwin and then having Dana talk down on Nelson the whole time killed ratings. It wasn't even for number 1 contender spot. It was a waste of a season and coaches.
    Jones is simply... dumb. There was no reason for that first match up, the shortest guy in the house vs one of the tallest? He's not Chad Mendes, he can't just throw one punch and knock someone out.

Jones seems to be as bad at picking match ups as rampage was during the HW season.

Even though I hate Jones with a burning passion, I am very impressed with him showing up at the TUF house with his dog and actually sitting down with his fighters to get to know them better. I also love the talk that Sonnen had with Uriah before his fight.

I can't really think of a negative thing to say about this season so far.
    Click the picture

Only negative thing I can say so far is there isn't any Frank Mir or Hendo shots of training with the people.
    Jones is a total idiot when it comes to coaching, he is too young. Doesn't know how to read other people and see their needs and can't remember his notes from the first round of fights. He could easily coach with those notes, but he was too worried about cornering people and talking to people to actually take notes like Sonnen was.
    Sonnen is a brilliant professional. I'm not trying to be a nuthugger, but the guy really is intelligent and knows how to coach. He's had far more experience coaching and seeing fighter talent and where they would excel at. He's had his own fight organizations, so that experience helps.

Only negative thing I can say so far is there isn't any Frank Mir or Hendo shots of training with the people.
    Jones is a total idiot when it comes to coaching, he is too young. Doesn't know how to read other people and see their needs and can't remember his notes from the first round of fights. He could easily coach with those notes, but he was too worried about cornering people and talking to people to actually take notes like Sonnen was.
    I noticed that too.

Indeed it would be nice to see clips of Mir and Hendo training with people. That's one thing I've noticed that they haven't shown on TUF for quite a while, if ever.

I'm not trying to be a nuthugger, but the guy really is intelligent and knows how to coach. He's had far more experience coaching and seeing fighter talent and where they would excel at. He's had his own fight organizations, so that experience helps.
    I agree, he is very intelligent and also seems like a genuinely good person.
    I didn't even know he's had his own fight organizations.

Sonnen's team is going to learn a lot from him.
    Click the picture