Thread: The UFC Thread

Weird that checking a leg kick is so terrible, but concussing people for 7 years like Anderson did made him the greatest of all time.

Apparently legs > brains in terms of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Weird that checking a leg kick is so terrible, but concussing people for 7 years like Anderson did made him the greatest of all time.

Apparently legs > brains in terms of damage.
    No one has ever said checking a leg kick is terrible...what?

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    No one has ever said checking a leg kick is terrible...what?
    "Read: "I'm Chris Weidman, and the reason Silva's leg broke is because I intentionally broke it with a technique I have mastered. Yay me."

some guy from last page. i just alluding to the fact its not a terrible thing, but orthodox like concussive strikes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    "Read: "I'm Chris Weidman, and the reason Silva's leg broke is because I intentionally broke it with a technique I have mastered. Yay me."

some guy from last page. i just alluding to the fact its not a terrible thing, but orthodox like concussive strikes.
    While I got the impression that that poster didn't like Weidman, I think his argument was more about "Weidman trying to take credit for the broken leg" instead of "Weidman intentionally broke Silva's leg."

Basically, he was saying Weidman got lucky and was trying to pretend it was intentional. He didn't really say anything about checking leg kicks being terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    While I got the impression that that poster didn't like Weidman, I think his argument was more about "Weidman trying to take credit for the broken leg" instead of "Weidman intentionally broke Silva's leg."

Basically, he was saying Weidman got lucky and was trying to pretend it was intentional. He didn't really say anything about checking leg kicks being terrible.
    Pretty much this - regardless of whether his intent was to break bone with the check means nothing though. The purpose of that technique is to stop your opponents kick and injure them in the process. The checked with his knee and we saw how that ended.

Interesting UFC P4P ranking updates though - Top 15 now instead of 10 and Benson Henderson is still somehow ranked above Rousey. Weidman is up to #5 and edged out Renan Barao. Other odd thing is that Vitor is still ranked in 2 weight classes and Hendricks managed to make top 10 (pretty impressive for someone who has never been a champion).

Don't get the problem...

He beat Silva up in round 1.

He checked off his kicks 3 times was it? That's his style of doing it like in sparring, he hates people kicking him hard so he does that trick, great self defense + shows his opponent to kick less because it's risky to do it. Great technique to make your opponent stop with the leg kicks.

GG Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    Don't get the problem...

He beat Silva up in round 1.

He checked off his kicks 3 times was it? That's his style of doing it like in sparring, he hates people kicking him hard so he does that trick, great self defense + shows his opponent to kick less because it's risky to do it. Great technique to make your opponent stop with the leg kicks.

GG Weidman.
    It's not his usual style or technique to check kicks with his knee, he worked on this specific technique for this fight as Silva hit him with a couple leg kicks in the last fight.
    Ain't no chuch when you're living in the wild

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/12/3...oken-leg-video

Pretty shocked to check my BleacherReport app today and see this on the top of my MMA feed.

Dominic Cruz officially vacates his title and Renan Barao is the new mens bantamweight champion (will face Faber @ UFC 169) after a groin injury.
    Last edited by Novx; 2014-01-07 at 12:19 AM.

About time!, ridiculous UFC can let someone hold onto a belt for 2 years without stepping into the octagon.
    Ain't no chuch when you're living in the wild

10+ Year Old Account

Not surprised after the NSAC ban on TRT. Vitor's career resurgence reminds me of MLB players whose abilities start to slump off around 30, only to suddenly get better in their mid-30s. That dog doesn't hunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would have liked to see TRT Belfort vs Weidman.

TRT will also be banned in Brazil
    Last edited by pOO flinger; 2014-02-28 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pOO flinger View Post
    Would have liked to see TRT Belfort vs Weidman.

TRT will also be banned in Brazil
    More interesting is that it WON'T be banned in New Jersey. Although the state is EXTREMELY strict on who it gives TUE's to (in 4900ish fighters it has only given a TUE to 1 fighter that applied out of the "dozen" that were reported. As someone who was a fan of Vitor back in the old days it it just sorta sad to watch now. He texts and calls Dana White 24/7 for title shots, gets one finally, TRT gets banned, backs out because he "Doesn't have the time to file for license". Bullshit, 100% bullshit, he knew he would fail a test so he pulled out. You don't just forget to file for a fight license when it is a title fight you have been rallying for for almost a year. (I know he listed a few reasons why he wouldn't have time...but there's no way).

10+ Year Old Account
    More interesting is that it WON'T be banned in New Jersey. Although the state is EXTREMELY strict on who it gives TUE's to (in 4900ish fighters it has only given a TUE to 1 fighter that applied out of the "dozen" that were reported. As someone who was a fan of Vitor back in the old days it it just sorta sad to watch now. He texts and calls Dana White 24/7 for title shots, gets one finally, TRT gets banned, backs out because he "Doesn't have the time to file for license". Bullshit, 100% bullshit, he knew he would fail a test so he pulled out. You don't just forget to file for a fight license when it is a title fight you have been rallying for for almost a year. (I know he listed a few reasons why he wouldn't have time...but there's no way).
    It's pretty lame that this situation is even happening. Vitor should have known better.
    Going to be interesting to see what happens with Vitor after this. Do you think he will get a shot at the winner of Machida vs Weidman or will he have to take another fight?

I don't agree with NSAC's decision to fully ban TRT, that's just taking the easy way out. I'm more in favor of New Jersey's extremely strict stance on TRT.

It's pretty lame that this situation is even happening. Vitor should have known better.
    Going to be interesting to see what happens with Vitor after this. Do you think he will get a shot at the winner of Machida vs Weidman or will he have to take another fight?

I don't agree with NSAC's decision to fully ban TRT, that's just taking the easy way out. I'm more in favor of New Jersey's extremely strict stance on TRT.
    Theres a difference: NSAC always gives out TUEs - NJ doesn't. NSAC made the right move IMO but if they did a model like NJ I would have been fine with it.

In regards to Vitor - If he didn't have a TUE he shouldn't have been on TRT before the fight. His fault and I really hope they don't just give him the winner. I'm not exactly a huge fan of Machida (hes a counter-striker and is super boring to watch in my opinion) but at least he never (to my knowledge) has tested positive for steroids. I have sympathy for people like Chael and Hendo that played straight their whole careers and are just getting older, Vitor is not Chael or Hendo.
    Last edited by Novx; 2014-03-02 at 06:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres a difference: NSAC always gives out TUEs - NJ doesn't. NSAC made the right move IMO but if they did a model like NJ I would have been fine with it.
    NSAC's decision to fully ban TRT is much better than them handing out TUE's like candy but I think NJ has the better model.

In regards to Vitor - If he didn't have a TUE he shouldn't have been on TRT before the fight. His fault and I really hope they don't just give him the winner.
    I'm thinking the UFC makes him take another fight to get a shot at the title. If so, depending on who it is, that might actually eliminate another contender.

I'm not exactly a huge fan of Machida (hes a counter-striker and is super boring to watch in my opinion) but at least he never (to my knowledge) has tested positive for steroids.
    I find his style to be kinda irritating but I have nothing against him personally. I do hope Machida and Weidman are able to put on a good fight.

I have sympathy for people like Chael and Hendo that played straight their whole careers and are just getting older, Vitor is not Chael or Hendo.
    I have less sympathy for Chael than I do Hendo. Chael was busted for a 14:1 T/E ratio in his first fight with Anderson. Hendo is an old man who has taken some good hits over the years and I could actually see him needing TRT.

NSAC's decision to fully ban TRT is much better than them handing out TUE's like candy but I think NJ has the better model.

I'm thinking the UFC makes him take another fight to get a shot at the title. If so, depending on who it is, that might actually eliminate another contender.

I find his style to be kinda irritating but I have nothing against him personally. I do hope Machida and Weidman are able to put on a good fight.

I have less sympathy for Chael than I do Hendo. Chael was busted for a 14:1 T/E ratio in his first fight with Anderson. Hendo is an old man who has taken some good hits over the years and I could actually see him needing TRT.
    That's right, Chael was busted for Silva 1. His is at least more legitimate than Vitors though in my opinion.

Deleted
    It seems Cheator dropped out of the fight so he wouldn´t have to disclose the results of his last random drig test. Everything points to Cheator testing positive.

- - - Updated - - -

That's right, Chael was busted for Silva 1. His is at least more legitimate than Vitors though in my opinion.
    It´s pretty much 99.99% certain they need the TRT now because of earlier steroid abuse.

Deleted
    GODDAMN

The icelandic viking fought a perfect fight, what a smackdown