Thread: The UFC Thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Why do you keep assuming I didn't watch the video? I watched ten different ones, including yours. I discussed and analyzed the whole fight extensively with my training partners on the mats. No one is arguing the fact that the stoppage might have been avoided. What I'm saying is that it was perfectly understandable. Besides, *people tend to see what they want to see. Where are you seeing these "minor movements" and "thumbs up"? I know it* works both ways, but believe me, I am trying to see things from your perspective.

I see an arm going limp and someone that's unable to react.

They whole argument about Herb potentially calling the win after the slam is valid, but utterly irrelevant to the current narrative.

Yeah, I am totally delusional when I see him pulling his hand back and giving short thumbs up when Herb grabs his hand.

I personally don't understand the 'limp' arm argument, considering the kneeling position he was in, wouldn't his whole body crumble if he was out?

The rematch should happen, no question about it. In my eyes it isn't a decisive win when it is clouded by controversy. Even Big John said Herb made a mistake and could video review his own decision as the event took place in Nevada - the only place where it is possible.

If Askren is so good, he definitely should be able to defeat that tough motherfucker again to validate himself. Because if anything, the bad stoppage takes away more from him than it takes from Lawler.

@RH92 Not gonna lie, when I saw it live I didn't notice the thumbs up and I also did think his arm went limp, but watching it slow-mo in the replay, I don't think Lawler passed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillside View Post
    Even before seeing all this drama about Herb's decision and post-fight interviews and stuff it was more than obvious for me ( a viewer, not a professional fighter ) that lawler's arm went limp, and i said to myself "that's it he's out", the only suspicious thing that happened was that he stood up right away, I have never been choked out, i only armwrestle, so i don't know how the unconsciousness works or how long it lasts, but for that split second HE WAS OUT

And i'm a fan of both btw, so my opinion isn't biased, i just wanted to see a good fight and i didn't
    And I can tell you from experience that chances are that he was indeed out for a very brief moment and that he wasn't correctly defending himself against a quite brutal choke.

As I said (and many experperts, including Joe Rogan), Herb's decision had an unfortunate outcome, but it was the correct one nevertheless.

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Yeah, I am totally delusional when I see him pulling his hand back and giving short thumbs up when Herb grabs his hand.

I personally don't understand the 'limp' arm argument, considering the kneeling position he was in, wouldn't his whole body crumble if he was out?
    I don't see a conclusive "thumbs up" there. I see a thumb, or part of it, nothing more.

No, you don't always 'crumble' when you go out, especially if you've already established frames and/or wedges. People have gone out in standing guillotines and rnc's. The first thing you notice is the 'grumbling' sound their breathing makes and the arms going limp.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    And I can tell you from experience that chances are that he was indeed out for a very brief moment and that he wasn't correctly defending himself against a quite brutal choke.

As I said (and many experperts, including Joe Rogan), Herb's decision had an unfortunate outcome, but it was the correct one nevertheless
    Yea i just watched Rogan's latest mma show with Schaub, he was definitely out, he just might not remember that he was out

Here's another video explaining what happened:

I don't know why it keeps starting at 12.45, it should start at 13.05. Anyway, scroll a bit and as I said, he went out.

Now please don't take this as me wanting to be right. Really, it's not the case. But I have a solid 10 year mat experience and I tend to recognize these things.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-03-05 at 06:59 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Any fights this weekend or next?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yep. Espn+ starting at 4 eastern.
    Huh you're right. It's in London. I guess I can try to watch.

Yo I just read May 4th is an Alvarez boxing match. I'm not the hugest boxing fan but these big ticket matches are ones we have to watch, so you guys need to post in this thread to keep me in the loop.

There really needs to be a "good boxing matches" calendar list I can check.

UFC 236 tonight.

Turns out TJ Dillishaw (who I don't like and was rooting against (I think, check my previous posts I guess)) was taking illegal drugs in the previous two fights.

How does the UFC not catch this in time??????????????

10+ Year Old Account
    Two great (interim) title fights, what a night - loved every minute of both fights.

There is just nothing better than two fighters bleeding all over and giving respect to each other during and after the fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Confession: I've completely overlooked this card since they announced Adesanya vs Gastelum at 236.
    And what a fucking fight that was.

Any good boxing matches this weekend or next?

- - - Updated - - -

Overeem has the worst fucking defense I've ever seen. It's goddamn horrible for a heavyweight. He's just letting Oleinik hit him.

10+ Year Old Account
    The highlight of the weekend being Khan getting punched in the dick is a sad reflection on the fights on offer.

Overeem was a terrible fight, he just played punch bag for 90 seconds then took the guy out.

Hoping Oliveira/Perry next week doesn't disappoint.

I was tired yesterday after watching the Kentucky Derby and didn't watch Canelo vs. Jacobs. Seems like it went to a decision. Anyone watch it?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can't believe we aren't talking about Rose getting straight slammed the fuck out. I did not see that coming, at all. The women's division seems vastly more wild and competitive as we're seeing catch up from evolving fighting happening at an exponential pace. To go from Ronda to this was like 20 years of men's mma.
    BAD WOLF

I had a long week and yesterday I also had to wake up early so I was too tired to stay up or even find a stream last night. FeelsBadMan

There's a UFC Fight Night on right now that I guess I'll find a stream for.

There's also a heavyweight boxing match tonight (according to my calendar) that I'll also try to make it a priority to watch. I took a nap today so I should be able to stay up relatively late.

(I did PM Vegas82).

Wilder fucking KO'ed this guy in the first round. Goddamn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wilder back to knocking out bums, the Fury fight was too much for him.