SSD Problems Windows 7...

So, I have had this problem recurring recently. When my power goes out in my house or some sudden crash happens while my PC is on, I seem to not be able to access my OS drive, or at least its extremely slow and programs on it wont run. its a SSD, I can get the exact model but yeah, never had this problem with anything else. I am trying to do a startup repair right now but I tried it once and it didn't work. Really not sure why this is happening... Wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem. It takes ages to start up and once it DOES start up, I can't launch any application from the C:\ drive (SSD) i.e. google chrome will not start...

I have fixed it in the past I just can not remember what steps I took to fix it...

Hmm it doesn't seem to be finding my Windows 7 installation or at least the fact that my SSD even exists... my bios finds the SSD but the windows repair tool doesn't find it...

I may have done a repair installation to fix it last time, I am going to try this and see if it fixes it :/
    Last edited by masterprtzl; 2011-10-29 at 10:57 AM.

Deleted
    had same problem once, now its okay for some reason =/

well I guess its good to know I'm not alone! Anyways, the damned repair install takes ages. Hopefully this does fix it, though I would love to know WHY this is happening...

god it was moving so slow that I thought it hung, I was looking on line for fixes to hangs, but it seems to be moving now >.>

I have to assume this has something to do with the SSD as I have never encountered this problem before and I have 4 other PCs locally all with windows 7, none of which have SSDs, and none of them ever had this problem...

---------- Post added 2011-10-29 at 12:18 PM ----------

sigh, i dont think that fixed it, looks like its taking too long to start up :/ any suggestions?

well hopefully thats only because its updating registry settings from the setup :/ god I hope this fixes....
    Last edited by masterprtzl; 2011-10-29 at 12:18 PM.

Deleted
    Knowing the model is rather essential. This isn't a SSD centric problem, but rather a specific model problem (or just as likely a defect issue). We cannot troubleshoot without it.

What is worth to point out however is that power losses will cause whatever data is in the process of writing to be lost, which can also cause data corruption. If you have issues with power stability - disable the write cache on the device.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-10-29 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Knowing the model is rather essential. This isn't a SSD centric problem, but rather a specific model problem (or just as likely a defect issue). We cannot troubleshoot without it.

What is worth to point out however is that power losses will cause whatever data is in the process of writing to be lost, which can also cause data corruption. If you have issues with power stability - disable the write cache on the device.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233154

Corsair Performance 3 Series CSSD-P3128GB2-BRKT 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

What kind of negative effects would that have? I live in an old house in Florida (lots of lightning) so not the most stable power conditions.

There's a chance a power surge damaged ur SDD. Maybe, and just maybe, it's taking extra time to load because its trying to recover settings/files from before your computer was abruptly shut down. If thats the case, it should speed back up once it's done, but I sorta doubt that's the problem as it would likely notify you to these activities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl View Post
    What kind of negative effects would that have?
    Varies wildly. In most cases, the loss SHOULD be inconsequential - but it can cause major issues (broken files and thus unstartable OS) if its in the middle of writing to system files. If the cache is 64mb in size for example, that can be up to 64mb of lost data in the event of an unexpected power loss.

In lieu of the somewhat unstable grid, a UPS could be advisable - or at the very least a SSD that can power itself for short durations (thus allowing it to complete the write cycle before it looses power). The only consumer SSD with this capability is the Intel 320. Any decent UPS can be connected to a computer, allowing it to observe the power state itself (and take appropriate actions - like a Laptop)
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-10-29 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks for the info. Yea, probly gonna go to sleep and see if this finishes its repair install (basically re-upgrading to the same version), will check back on this thread tomorrow to see if anyone had come up with anything.

And I doubt the SSD itself is damaged as this only happens when power problems occur, once I solve it, its flawless for months.

Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl View Post
    And I doubt the SSD itself is damaged as this only happens when power problems occur, once I solve it, its flawless for months.
    All mechanical disk drives (even long before the IBM PC existed) contained circuits that monitor voltage. If any power off (always a long slow voltage drop) occurs, then a disk drive would not write data to the disk - would not corrupt the disk.

If your SSD does not have something equivalent and properly designed, then a power off during a write could corrupt data. Then require a long data reconstruction program.

Power off never causes hardware damage. All drives do not even learn about power off until after voltage starts dropping. It is the job of circuits in every drive to make power off irrelevant. Your symptoms imply that particular SSD is not properly designed.