Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

No raiding in Guild Wars 2

There will be a five-player maximum for groups in guild wars, so even though the game is trending more towards WoW in several respects, it is still keeping to a small-party scale for dungeons and high-level encounters.

Is this is a problem for those of you considering GW2? Does the game need to allow for 10+ players to make end-game content interesting or is 5 enough?

Personally, I'm fine with it, but I can imagine others thinking that it diminishes the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that they're putting quite a lot of effort into open-world open-group events, I don't think this should be an issue at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everybody should be allowed to reach the end content of a game if he/she is a good player. Limiting the end content only for those who have friends to play with them is a bad design.
    So no, it's not a problem, it is actually a solution. =)

lets see how it goes. i will still play it when its released if theres none raid group.

As I prefer smaller social circles over larger ones most of the time, fewer players is a good thing.

I can see it hurting the potential for encounter design though, unless certain classes or abilities become "required."
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverbot View Post
    There will be a five-player maximum for groups in guild wars, so even though the game is trending more towards WoW in several respects, it is still keeping to a small-party scale for dungeons and high-level encounters.

Is this is a problem for those of you considering GW2? Does the game need to allow for 10+ players to make end-game content interesting or is 5 enough?

Personally, I'm fine with it, but I can imagine others thinking that it diminishes the game.
    I remember when I first learned about what WoW's raids were and what they entailed, after many years of gaming (including several high-profile MMOs), I was shocked to hear that other people whom you had never even met actually recorded and cared what you had accomplished. So even after a few years of raiding myself, it seems to me that WoW-style raiding is more or less exclusive to WoW. You will not have a chance to become world-famous, Paragon/Ensidia-style, by playing Guild Wars 2 PvE.

The people I expect to be bothered by this are the people who expect every MMO with magic and swords and shit to be a WoW clone with the same design goals. Its not. The Guild Wars franchise is designed to fit into a different market niche than WoW's PvE. ArenaNet is not trying to steal WoW's audience (lol, Rift), and no one who raids in WoW should entirely quit for GW2.
    Parietis :: Retribution Paladin
    Størmglory :: Enhancement Shaman
    Caecius :: Arms Warrior

I hope they provide a better alternative, I personally would Like to have challenging worlds events that would take wipes and Hard work to acomplish instead of raids.
    Even if they dont I think what they're offering is enough for me.

Deleted
    i got bored of raiding, a no raiding mmo seems just fine with me!!

I prefer playing with a couple of real life friends then with a big group of random people.

Neither my friends nor myself were part of a guild when we played wow so after we were done with heroics we hit a dead end. We didn't feel like finding a guild and be forced to play on certain times but we were so bored with the easiness of heroics and stopped playing wow a month after cataclysm was released.

Guild Wars 2 hopefully offers a nice fix for this problem, hard (hopefully VERY hard) 5 mans.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, wow started with 40 men raids ... We all know how it turned out. Now even 25 men raids are optional, 10 men has the same loot.
    I, personally, HATE groups over 10 men, it takes WAY too much time to organize and maintain.
    5 men is absolutely perfect, I'm sure everyone, who doesn't have any RL friends, playing GW2 or wow, can easily find 5 online friends they enjoy playing with. 25 or as it used to be 40, is pushing it to a completely different level.
    Besides, it shouldn't really be about the number of players in the group ... If we could raid in wow with 5 players and have the same encounters, mechanics and difficulty, loot and fun, who would ever need to look for 10 people?

Deleted
    I think 5 man is to easy, even if the encounter is hard. The more people you group up with, the bigger is the fail rate, which I personally like, I like the thrill of the challenge, and when you finally accomplish the goal, with a truckload of people, you'll certainly celebrate more then when 5 people, who might know eachother, or def will get to know eachother will, since 5 mans doing the right stuff is kind of a standard, butwhen 40 people didn't fail, there's a reason to cheer.

5 players is also a good limit for friends only, which makes the MMO slightly social, since you wont need to interact with others if you just got 4 friends to play with.

Imagine how awesome it would be if wow was 5 man only and you could go in with your guildies you know are good and fight a hard battle through the dungeon and get top end gear without having to shit all over your schedule and social life. Then imagine how much better 5 mans would be if blizzard could devote all their time to developing five mans as top end instances.

If they do it right this will work out well for guild wars 2

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwannie View Post
    I think 5 man is to easy, even if the encounter is hard. The more people you group up with, the bigger is the fail rate, which I personally like, I like the thrill of the challenge, and when you finally accomplish the goal, with a truckload of people, you'll certainly celebrate more then when 5 people, who might know eachother, or def will get to know eachother will, since 5 mans doing the right stuff is kind of a standard, butwhen 40 people didn't fail, there's a reason to cheer.

5 players is also a good limit for friends only, which makes the MMO slightly social, since you wont need to interact with others if you just got 4 friends to play with.
    Yea, i'm kinda on the same page with you, but kinda I'm indeed very satisfied and happy when we win AV with 40 pugs or down boss with 25 people, then I'm with finishing heroic 5 man for example, but ONLY for the first few times. When I started heroics in Cata, I was REALLY happy to finish them with my friends as well, maybe, just as happy as I would be finishing a raid with 10 or 25 men. But the next time you do it, you already know the fight, you know how to beat bosses and mechanics, but STILL you have 24 more people who can fuck it up for you and the rest of the group and you gonna wipe again and again, waisting hour after hour on the fist boss, just because a few people in 10 or 25 man JUST WOULDN'T GET IT.
    I like challenging events, but when outcome depends on me and maybe a few other people a enjoy playing with, not when I have to wipe and reset the boss, 'cause certain someone stood in the fire half of the fight. It's not challenging, it's just fucking stupid.

I view this as a plus for a reason to transfer over to GW2. I liked the first one, but the PvE was so offensively bad I lost interest quickly when I tired of PvP. And considering I mostly play WoW with three of my friends in a guild full of mostly idiots that prevent progress in the heroic raids, I'm cool with this idea. That way I could just find one more good player to team up with us and we should be set to faceroll content, as the four of us are uniformly the best players in our current guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwannie View Post

I'm of the opposite end of the spectrum. Sure, it's satisfying when the group works together for a common goal, but it's for more rage inducing when 20 people pull their weight, but 4-5 idiots fuck it up for everyone for hours on end. After 5 hours of wiping on heroic Magmaw last night I wanted to put my fist through a wall, because it was the same 2-3 retards that would step out of melee and get a spout on the melee group, or would somehow FALL OFF THE LEDGE, or screw up the kiting. There are only so many good players per server, and if you haven't had the luck to get into a top tier guild on the server, you're invariably stuck with hand holding a few morons. I'd rather rely on the same group of four others who I know and trust to down horrifically hard content than rely on 20 people I vaguely know to NOT SCREW UP on content that isn't that hard.
    Last edited by Embla; 2011-04-06 at 08:54 PM.

No raids is one of the major reasons why I'm drawn to GW2.
    Can't spell 'NICE BALANCE' without Ice Lance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus2089 View Post
    Imagine how awesome it would be if wow was 5 man only and you could go in with your guildies you know are good and fight a hard battle through the dungeon and get top end gear without having to shit all over your schedule and social life. Then imagine how much better 5 mans would be if blizzard could devote all their time to developing five mans as top end instances.

If they do it right this will work out well for guild wars 2
    No offense to you, but that is just retarded. I go into a 25 man with my guildies that I know are good and get gear. So basically with what you all are saying is that you are perfectly fine with doing nothing but 5 mans? So say instead of raids in wow they just release a new 5 man dungeon every few months? That would be so freaking boring.

Yes world pve/pvp is a blast but if that is all you have as an option it will get boring pretty fast too. You need a fine balance between world raids/instanced raids/world pvp/instanced pvp. Blizz has gone away from the world pvp/pve and a lot of people have complained about it.

So sure GW2 is real pretty to look at, but without raids people will become bored of the game fairly soon after hitting lvl cap

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea a lot. I really never liked raiding and would love to just play with my friends and be able to beat it. I'm into things being hard, but not redic hard. I mean I'd honestly have something that's fairly easy that we can do every week than something I'd usually fail at every week

Deleted
    Its going to be PVP all the way down!

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro55 View Post
    looks totally random to me, like he is running around clueless. tactics? is that boss actually hard to beat? i have no clue. :-)