Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    They're exclusive, something new. They're beautiful.

If you do not plan to play it, why is it so important why others like it or not? I ain't dismissing any of the races however, even though I'm not extremely keen on the Asura..they're cute, but I want to play a strong female character.
    This reminds me of one of the video's when the Sylvari were introduced... They kept saying, 'you haven't seen everything fantasy has to offer', but then they just kept showing 'plant people'... Because really, that's new...

I have never before heard of Dryads... Or the like... And sure, you can claim that Dryads and Sylvari are different, but they're still fruits (apples vs oranges)...

As for the OP... They were the newest race added... A lot of people have short memories, and the most recent flashy addition wins nine times out of nine and a little bit ; )

-Alamar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    I have never before heard of Dryads... Or the like... And sure, you can claim that Dryads and Sylvari are different, but they're still fruits (apples vs oranges)...
    Oranges are actually berries, not fruit.

Anyway, dryads generally aren't a playable race in any game save for a few P&P games.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    Sylvari - ...a very young race.
    This is another good point about the Sylvari. Although they are similar to elves in some regards, elves are usually portrayed as the older, wiser, superior and haughty race who saw the birth of the world and now fear that the younger races will bring about it's death. The Sylvari, while pulling from a vast pool of knowledge, don't share this type of history and I think that also makes them, lore-wise, an important breakaway from the typical "elf" tropes.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Oranges are actually berries, not fruit.
    Berries are actually fruit, hence oranges are fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    This is another good point about the Sylvari. Although they are similar to elves in some regards, elves are usually portrayed as the older, wiser, superior and haughty race who saw the birth of the world and now fear that the younger races will bring about it's death. The Sylvari, while pulling from a vast pool of knowledge, don't share this type of history and I think that also makes them, lore-wise, an important breakaway from the typical "elf" tropes.
    While this is true to a point many Sylvari know a great deal about the world, but have yet to learn proper social behavior, and have a hard time understanding complex social norms. This is very close to one of the standard elven archetypes. Because the elves are in many cases are such a long lived and secluded race they often have a higher knowledge base but take much longer to mature and understand social behavior.

So what you end up with is two races that are extremely intelligent but somewhat naive.

Even with their similarities to elves I'm loving that we can play a new race, RPing a lack of social understanding can be fun and something I haven't experienced before.

Bottom line is that sylvari are a unique and original race. Not a reworked race like the blood elf or night elf. Sylvari are not elves. Even though I appreciate the games with them in them, thing is that sylvari are not like them. Were elves born from a tree? I dont think so. Are they plants? Nope. I think the comparing to elves needs to stop. Juss sayin.

Sylvari Engineer

Because a salad with a flame thrower is just so very right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Sylvari Engineer

People need to stop stealing my ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Sylvari Engineer

Haha, I wonder how many more have the same idea and will actually play one (I'll be one of them)!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamea View Post
    Haha, I wonder how many more have the same idea and will actually play one (I'll be one of them)!
    This is making me not want to play one now. I'm too hipster for this shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll play a Sylvari Engineer! That's the only combination I am sure about... everything else I can't decide yet. So many choices!
    But I really don't care anymore if I will play a "popular" combination or not, I did care about it back then but I stopped and decided just to do what I want.

PS: You will miss something out. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamea View Post
    I'll play a Sylvari Engineer! That's the only combination I am sure about... everything else I can't decide yet. So many choices!
    But I really don't care anymore if I will play a "popular" combination or not, I did care about it back then but I stopped and decided just to do what I want.

PS: You will miss something out. :P
    My main was a Belfadin. I know all about being the majority lol. I'll give it a few weeks first though. Don't want to seem like I'm part of the rush.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope you guys mean original and new playable race.

Because they are pretty much dryads. Not the WoW half-girl half-horse ones, but the original dryads, the tree-girls.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Because they are pretty much dryads. Not the WoW half-girl half-horse ones, but the original dryads, the tree-girls.
    Except that they aren't.

Dyrads were humanoids with plant features.

Sylvari are humanoid plants.

Deleted
    I am interested in the whole nightmare court affair. I just love how twisted and cruel they are. A group of sadists torturing their own brothers and sisters. I'm a bit disappointed I can't choose to side with them...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Except that they aren't.

Dyrads were humanoids with plant features.
    Actually, looking at the mythos of what Dryads are, not the modern game concepts, a Dryad was the part of a tree that she lived in.
    Basicly. If the tree was cut down, the dryad would die, and wise versa.
    So they pretty much are treeladies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Actually, looking at the mythos of what Dryads are, not the modern game concepts, a Dryad was the part of a tree that she lived in.
    Basicly. If the tree was cut down, the dryad would die, and wise versa.
    So they pretty much are treeladies.
    This too...

Deleted
    i just dont like any of the other races, human? too normal, norn? too similar too human, asura? look ugly imo, charr? too big :P
    and i like the idea of a race made out of plants, its never been done before.

Deleted
    I like how they look and they are something new. I rather not play as humans in a fantasy game so Norn and Humans are out for me. And out of Char and Asura, Sylvari wins. Though I'll roll one of the other two as well.

Oh my gosh, comparing them with elves wasn't enough, now we are comparing the sylvari to dryads? Gosh dang people. Just accept that they are original.