Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    SO all these people who never will play TOR and say they hate the genre are hilarious. You are shown many different videos to show you the different classes at play and the animations and such they do. It is far more fluid than any mmo on the market right now in terms of real combat. The game is not hack and slash. It has never claimed to be and they have not planned it to be, so if your wanting that then this is not the game for you.

This is the scenario it reminds me of.

customer- "god I hate this store it never has anything I like."

emp- "Well what were you looking for?"

customer-" I like this sweater but it has to be in a brown, this gray is just UGLY"

emp-" Oh here it is, it was in the back of the display"

customer-"........ nope it's an ugly sweater"

Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    SO all these people who never will play TOR and say they hate the genre are hilarious. You are shown many different videos to show you the different classes at play and the animations and such they do. It is far more fluid than any mmo on the market right now in terms of real combat. The game is not hack and slash. It has never claimed to be and they have not planned it to be, so if your wanting that then this is not the game for you.

This is the scenario it reminds me of.

customer- "god I hate this store it never has anything I like."

emp- "Well what were you looking for?"

customer-" I like this sweater but it has to be in a brown, this gray is just UGLY"

emp-" Oh here it is, it was in the back of the display"

customer-"........ nope it's an ugly sweater"
    There is a nail somewhere. I don't know where, but it is very pissed at you because you hit it on the head. So hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    You are shown many different videos to show you the different classes at play and the animations and such they do.

I think many people just watch the video given in the first post here (which is not the greatest example to give) and judge the whole game based on it:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    that clip is totally terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Dembai View Post
    If that clip is an indication

But yes, I agree, all you need to do is a little research, watch some convention gameplay at least, watch more than one trailer... gamers have gotten so lazy lately that if everything that caters to their expectations isn't shown in the one single random video that they chanced upon, they condemn the whole game as utter shit.

This somehow seems to be even more true in regards to games that are potential WoW competitors. Many individuals are hellbent on a search for flaws in every such game.

Do people want WoW to be the only successful MMO until the end of time or what?

Every even semi-intelligent person knows that if you are intent from the very beginning to find something wrong with a game (or basically any product) you will always find it.

What happened to being excited about games, like I did since I was 8 years old and up to now?
    Now people seem to become super serious when appraising a new title and judge it as if they're buying a house for their family, criticizing every small thing that looks like it might be a problem.

Lighten up, you're just ruining half the games for yourselves even before you try them.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-11-05 at 01:09 PM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    I have one thing to ask for.

Why the hell are some Jedi and Sith classes basically "Mages" with their lightsabre having no real function as they sit and cast force fireballs.

Thats an extremely retarded thing and something Jedi and Sith were NEVER about even in KoToR
    You block with them, but other than that they are stat sticks. It's also for game mechanic reasons--you really think that not one person would complain if a Lightning Sorc could have good melee capabilities AND ranged dps functions?
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Why the hell are some Jedi and Sith classes basically "Mages" with their lightsabre having no real function as they sit and cast force fireballs.

Thats an extremely retarded thing and something Jedi and Sith were NEVER about even in KoToR
    Common misconception.

The Jedi Sage and the Sith Sorcerer are superior in force based combat, it does not mean that their lightsabers are useless. Of course it's going to be logical to get a range on your enemy as a Sage or Sorcerer, but if somebody does get in range you'll have a range of CC's and lightsaber attacks to make up for that closed in distance until you can knock them back and continue with min/max damage.

I really don't see what you're complaining about. 2/16 Advanced classes are superior in force ranged combat than lightsaber melee combat, so choose Sith Inquisitor Assassin or Jedi Consular Shadow instead and move on with life.
    Last edited by Dreavus; 2011-11-05 at 01:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bioware have always had the good ability of macro-storytelling. They can create settings, scenes and things like that with great detail and amazing work, the mass effect universe is a good example of it as well as all the settings in TOR universe.

Where they have always fallen down, is their character development, where the actual writing for the character is either bland and generic (karth/kaiden, who are pretty much the same person but one is magic). The Only characters I have ever seen Bioware create well are those that are left blank, or those whos voice acting gave them alot of personality ( wrex and Garrus ). One of the main selling points they are trying to put out is the "characters" interaction on the same level as Mass effect. it feels like they are focusing on a weakness without going with the strengths of what an MMO can bring, like large planet side battles and fleet boarding actions.

You can criticize Bioware all you like but this is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off the mark. Go back and play DA:O and tell me that character development is missing or a weakness. Man...... they were all good characters and you cared about them. At least I did at any rate.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    I think many people just watch the video given in the first post here (which is not the greatest example to give) and judge the whole game based on it:

But yes, I agree, all you need to do is a little research, watch some convention gameplay at least, watch more than one trailer... gamers have gotten so lazy lately that if everything that caters to their expectations isn't shown in the one single random video that they chanced upon, they condemn the whole game as utter shit.

This somehow seems to be even more true in regards to games that are potential WoW competitors. Many individuals are hellbent on a search for flaws in every such game.

Do people want WoW to be the only successful MMO until the end of time or what?

Every even semi-intelligent person knows that if you are intent from the very beginning to find something wrong with a game (or basically any product) you will always find it.

What happened to being excited about games, like I did since I was 8 years old and up to now?
    Now people seem to become super serious when appraising a new title and judge it as if they're buying a house for their family, criticizing every small thing that looks like it might be a problem.

Lighten up, you're just ruining half the games for yourselves even before you try them.
    You hit the nail on the head. People have gotten lazy and complacent in regards to actually learning something about things they could be interested in. I guess people forgot that WoW was bashed as well before launch, and look at the amount of fanboys it has today.

I'm not at all concerned with these "I don't like..." threads. If people aren't going to play this game because of an alpha video, then it's their loss. If they're happy with the joke that WoW has become (due to laziness and complacency by Blizzard) then so be it. I'm moving on to something new and exciting, and I do feel like I'm 8 again when I think about this game.

Cheers mate, see you in ToR.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post
    You block with them, but other than that they are stat sticks. It's also for game mechanic reasons--you really think that not one person would complain if a Lightning Sorc could have good melee capabilities AND ranged dps functions?
    I don't see why not. Refer to the melee capabilities of the Agent and the Bounty Hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiend

You will pay for your lack of vision!

Last edited by Teriz; 2011-11-05 at 04:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

My KOTOR 2 Jedi Master would like to have a word with you. After I learned Force Wave, I didn't use my lightsaber a single time for the rest of the game outside of a stat stick that occasionally blocked blaster bolts.

Palpatine believed that the Sith had transcended the use of Lightsabers and should only rely on the Force as their weapon. Hense why he doesn't carry one in Episode Six.

And if you guys really think that the combat in this game looks stiff compared to WoW, that is because you are used to only the two animations that you get in WoW. This game has an animation almost per attack.
    Last edited by Eldar45; 2011-11-05 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreavus View Post
    I don't see why not. Refer to the melee capabilities of the Agent and the Bounty Hunter.
    You're missing the point. Game mechanics present limitations to classes that are based off of their movie counterparts.

Just because you see Palpatine throwing lightning at Mace Windu one moment and having an intense duel Yoda with a lightsaber the next, doesn't mean that Lightning Sorcs should be able to do the same. Lightning Sorcs and the consular doubles are the -only- specs that focus solely on ranged combat. Giving them the melee capabilities of a JK/SW on top of ranged spells would invalidate rolling other melee classes.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    Palpatine believed that the Sith had transcended the use of Lightsabers and should only rely on the Force as their weapon. Hense why he doesn't carry one in Episode Six.
    Yoda believed it too. Shame that Lucas botched it all up in the prequels. Both Yoda and Emperor in the OT viewed lightsabers as nothing more than toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    Yeah, and what happened to him? He got thrown in a pit by someone severely injured, asthmatic and missing a hand. If he had a lightsaber, he woulda owned those meddling Skywalkers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Yeah, and what happened to him? He got thrown in a pit by someone severely injured, asthmatic and missing a hand. If he had a lightsaber, he woulda owned those meddling Skywalkers!
    He got ambushed and still killed one of them, and left the other one extremely sick for several days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Ha! He was all about comfort and style. His saber did not match his shoes. Sith are proud to a fault.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    @Flagellum
    I didn't say the whole game is crap whatsoever. But if they cannot get the combat to feel just *right*, and if it is of in any way, either by animation, the feel of it, or even the way abilities are cast, it will have a detrimental effect. Combat in MMOs is a huge part of the game, doesn't matter how great the storyline is, if the core mechanics of a game aren't right, it won't do as well as it should. That's what i mean.
    That last bit wasn't meant to imply you did but I can see how you would think I was lol. The first half of that was directed towards you, the latter half was more about the thread topic at hand. It was meant to show that autofacing wasn't a deal breaker to me when I see many people pointing out minor things (here and various other forums, ect.) and then saying the whole game was crap. It just seems like some people are looking for excuses to dislike the game simply because it isn't WoW. Or come with high expectations and are subsequently let down because it isn't everything they could ever hope for. But at least it seems like you're willing to suspend judgment unlike so many other folks who look at alpha and that trailer alone to assess how game play and the game in general will be. If I had thought WoW played like the Wrathgate cinematic, then the horde and the alliance would be close allies. The Forsaken would be everyone's enemy and the combat would be very "stiff" and wouldn't look right at all.

Edit: Though I suppose the Forsaken really are everyone's enemy haha, since they hate the living. For game balancing reasons however, they are not everyone's enemy. I meant the whole Putress story behind it.
    Last edited by Flagellum; 2011-11-05 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagellum View Post
    It just seems like some people are looking for excuses to dislike the game simply because it isn't WoW.
    This is very true and it's getting mighty annoying.

I'm not any anti-WoW person by any stretch of the imagination, I've played the game for 4,5 years before I quit. I have a soft spot for it still, else I wouldn't be posting on mmo-c (hell, at least 60% of my posts were made in the Paladin forums).

But this trend is starting to get on my nerves. Some people should learn to use their brain and be happy there is possibility of competition for WoW. Competition = incentive for increased quality. Identifying yourself with a game to a point where you rabidly lash out at any perceived fictional enemy is unhealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagellum View Post
    Or come with high expectations and are subsequently let down because it isn't everything they could ever hope for.
    This I also notice from time to time, probably to a lesser extent. I think it mostly has to do with how spoiled some gamers have become, especially those that didn't start playing back in the 90s when fireballs took up 3-8 pixels on your screen, and you learned to look past that and still enjoy the game for the story, challenge and atmosphere.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-11-05 at 08:16 PM.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Deleted
    Yes combat looks very bad, and so far what have been disclosed missed any reaction to damage or illusion of action.
    I don't say it has to be Rage to be good, but this is bad even compared to WoW for what it looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    Yes combat looks very bad, and so far what have been disclosed missed any reaction to damage or illusion of action.
    I don't say it has to be Rage to be good, but this is bad even compared to WoW for what it looks.
    After 14 pages of active discussion, I have nothing to really say to this, except "you're wrong".

But since I doubt that will change your mind and I have no energy left to argue over this for the tenth time over (and I don't suppose you're going to read 14 pages of this thread, except the original post)... I guess let's just agree to disagree.