Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    I disagree - I can't imagine people are really so heartless as to easily kill someone just because it benefits you.

I do understand the reasoning on why people might find the Jedi boring and cold, living without emotion just following the code, but I dont understand either the appeal of choosing someone that takes pleasure from causing others pain.
    Plus anyone saying that the Jedi are without emotion has clearly missed something. The Jedi simply fight against the dark emotions - which have proven to cause only suffering, especially when combined with the powers of the Force - while embracing the good ones, compassion being one of the most important ones.

I prefer the Sith side of the story, not just in TOR but in overall Star Wars lore. Just a more mysterious, scheming side than the Republic/Jedi Politics and let's go save everybody.

EDIT: Also, I don't plan on going sociopath murderous Sith. I plan on going what a true Sith would. Kill who gets in your way, leave the ones that might be useful to your plans later, then dispose of them when they lose their usefulness.
    Last edited by Merrena; 2011-10-30 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You, the one that posted here attacking me for no reason, and I am the one with an aggression issue? I have not been aggressive, I've been clear, civil and explained myself. There is no aggression here.

I like to believe that people are generally good natured and they do bad things due to the circumstances they are put in. Of course, there are bad people, however I believe that most people would prefer not to go around killing and maiming people just because it benefits you - while we do still have many wars, I don't believe that the average soldier is just out there because they enjoy killing. The Sith, however, do enjoy killing, they kill their masters and succeed them, they are extremely cruel, they're the sort of people that could commit genecide and be happy about it - I don't think there are many people out there that would be like that.

So ultimately, I wonder why people I imagine must have at least a couple of things in common with me (play video games, like star wars) would find the idea of playing a character that wouldn't hesitate to do the most evil of things fun?

I'm not talking about killing for survival, or anything else to maintain your survival, I'm talking about doing these things just because you can, because you care so little for Human life that you would casually kill for a few credits. I can't imagine the general population would kill their co-workers to get a promotion, for instance.

Just look at the movies, the poor guy fails to do his job properly, he's apologising..and oh.. wait.. force choke, bye. Seems a little extreme. Pretty sure officers don't kill people in the military if they make a mistake.

Ultimately I think the Sith are just self-centered and selfish, they care only for themselves and will do anything they can for personal gain, even if that means the death of entire people. Fuck, they blew up Alderaan just to fuck Leia off.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking in regards to punishment in the empire. Officers being choked to death, blowing up an entire planet of life. They're like the Nazis. "Join the dark side." So yeah, I'll always think them to be evil.

I will definitely try the game out, but as of now, I'm torn on which side to be. Both appeal to me. I wanna be a Jedi, I wanna be a bounty hunter and imperial agent, so who knows which route I'll start off with. Green is my fav color, maybe green light saber = the deal breaker for my indecisiveness? lol. Does seem like a lot of empire people out there, just hope servers won't be so one-sided like some in WoW

Deleted
    There's a thousand different theories and whatnot to all of this. One that I know doesn't neccessarily apply to everyone, but keeps nagging at the back of my head whenever these sorts of discussions pop up, is that the "Good side" (Alliance isn't strictly good and Horde isn't strictly evil in Warcraft, but we'll work with what we have for now) is something that the kids or the nerds pick, whereas the "evil" side is for people that desperately wants to avoid being associated with the forementioned.

As I said though, this doesn't apply to everyone and especially not in WoW where Orcs are pretty much more "Good" than the Humans are (it's right infront of your eyes people).

I think, in SWTOR, where Good and Evil will be more clearly nuanced (than in WoW), the Evil side (that is to say, the Sith and whatnot) will have far more players just because of this idea. "loljedinerds, i kill you with lightning, lol".

On the other hand, the world is a whole lot more grey now than it was forty years ago. The appeal of being the hero has diminished signifigantly in favor of playing the villain.

Deleted
    saint i would just walk away from this one the op is being argumentative he did word it in a bad way it did sound like he stating fact not to mention just going on about not understanding why when all the posts so far explain it pretty well...

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    Because in videogames you can do things like that without having to worry about CONSEQUENCES
    Is that all that is stopping you from doing it in real life? The consequences?

I'm not talking about killing for survival, or anything else to maintain your survival, I'm talking about doing these things just because you can, because you care so little for Human life that you would casually kill for a few credits. I can't imagine the general population would kill their co-workers to get a promotion, for instance.

Just look at the movies, the poor guy fails to do his job properly, he's apologising..and oh.. wait.. force choke, bye. Seems a little extreme. Pretty sure officers don't kill people in the military if they make a mistake.

Ultimately I think the Sith are just self-centered and selfish, they care only for themselves and will do anything they can for personal gain, even if that means the death of entire people. Fuck, they blew up Alderaan just to fuck Leia off.
    You're right. I wouldn't gank someone IRL for a promotion. I would, however, have sex with a hooker and then kill her for the money in a video game. Then, I'd burn down a school in a video game, while standing at the chained door doing a /dance at all the burning kids. Depending, of course, on the type of character I imagined in my head. If they were an evil, psychotic bastard.. those sorts of horrible things sound lovely.

In a fictional culture where failure isn't tolerated, being force choked for screwing up or mouthing off seems perfectly acceptable.

THAT'S what makes the Sith cool. They can do all this awesomely fun stuff that's taboo IRL, and no one actually gets hurt from it. The same reason people play bad guys in other games. Most people of the world will pick the good guy or neutral guy option IRL for choices. Only psychopaths really cause rampant death and horror. In gaming, you just get to pretend to be that guy for awhile.

...and if Force Lightning were an option IRL for your conversation choices.. well, I can't even get into how cool that would be, if you deal with assholes on a regular basis...
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

It feels so good to be bad.
    People like being able to be the bad guy, as not many games let you do that. I'll be rolling Sith because I want to be an Inquisitor. Lightning and healing in corruption is infinitely more badass than throwing random shit with the force that Jedi Consulars do. Also, POWER UNLIMITED POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWER!

It is one of the things yes. Others are good sense and mental health.

I guess too often people assume there's going to be a why, when in reality there is none. Some people just like to play that way, doesn't make then any better or worse, and that's all there's ever going to be.

MainTankasin - Consular/Inquisitor Tanking

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Im honestly more of a good guy player, even though Im a horde player, but then again, factions in wow arent good and evil like the ones in star wars are for example.
    It can be argued that neither side is good or evil. I see it as the same thing in WoW, opposing factions fighting for different goals. Granted the Empire is fighting for domination, which can be construed as "evil", but it's all a matter of perspective.

I personally will be playing a Sith because, like stated in previous posts, there is little known about them. And plus, I'm a fan of the Dark Side. I don't like having to abide by the constraints of the Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by logar565 View Post
    saint i would just walk away from this one the op is being argumentative he did word it in a bad way it did sound like he stating fact not to mention just going on about not understanding why when all the posts so far explain it pretty well...
    I was not being argumentative, I was defending myself and my post after he neddlessly attacked me. There is a difference. As you are from Scotland, with English being your native language, you should clearly understand that what I said was an opinion, not a claimed fact, Saint obviously isn't English, and that's fine, but it's still no reason or free shot to attack me just because he misunderstood me.

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 04:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    You're right. I wouldn't gank someone IRL for a promotion. I would, however, have sex with a hooker and then kill her for the money in a video game. Then, I'd burn down a school in a video game, while standing at the chained door doing a /dance at all the burning kids. Depending, of course, on the type of character I imagined in my head. If they were an evil, psychotic bastard.. those sorts of horrible things sound lovely.

In a fictional culture where failure isn't tolerated, being force choked for screwing up or mouthing off seems perfectly acceptable.

THAT'S what makes the Sith cool. They can do all this awesomely fun stuff that's taboo IRL, and no one actually gets hurt from it. The same reason people play bad guys in other games. Most people of the world will pick the good guy or neutral guy option IRL for choices. Only psychopaths really cause rampant death and horror. In gaming, you just get to pretend to be that guy for awhile.

...and if Force Lightning were an option IRL for your conversation choices.. well, I can't even get into how cool that would be, if you deal with assholes on a regular basis...
    I have to admit, I did laugh at the green part :P

So I guess the reason for picking the Sith is the same sort of reason you run people over in GTA (or whatever your thing is), I can understand that, it's just fun and silly, I guess I've been looking at this game a little too seriously, forgetting that it is just a game - I guess it's just having played WoW "hardcore" for so long, with TOR replacing it, it's something I take seriously, and I guess I couldn't see past that :P

Though I'll be honest - I'm also one of the sorts of people that would drive casually and cruise around the streets in GTA, trying to avoid doing crimes as much as possible - apart from the occasional shits'n'giggles rocket launcher fun and stuff. In RPGs I always tend to pick the "good" options too since I end up feeling guilty if I don't, or well, it depends - if I'm talking to a guy and he's an ass, I'm not going to care about being an ass back, and I don't usually do the options that involve giving away free credits to people, but you catch my drift - I don't generally just choose to kill people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I'm going Empire because I like playing a darker character in RPG games, I'm always Renegade etc in ME, I'm always a sarcastic asshole in DA. I also want to be a Melee Force using class. Imo the Jedi are a rather bland lot when compared to what the Sith are allowed to experience. Besides almost EVERYTHING in the Star Wars universe we've seen from the Jedi's point of view, apart from the Darth Bane books which are close to my favorite SW EU books, I want to see how the Sith works. Besides I personally find (read personal opinion, not fact) ALL of the Empire's classes to be more badass than the Republic's classes. Except for the Smuggler which is almost as badass as the IA.
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

I'm just wondering, perhaps it's just a feeling, but there seems to be a favouring of the Sith for people's choices of characters. Other than the Bounty Hunter, which is without a doubt cooler than the Trooper counterpart, I don't see the appeal of them. So I'm curious, why do you want to be Sith instead of a part of the Republic?
    Well, up till now, we have never once seen the Imperial society, their citizens and worlds in movies/games. We've only seen planets taken over or conquered by the Sith, which is not the same. I am curious to see what they feel like as a society, what BioWare made their culture, motivations etc. to be.

That's my main attraction to them (and it's a pretty big point for me), though really, outside it, I don't see why you would favour the Republic. I'm not saying the Sith are more appealing outside the aspect, but I don't see how they are less appealing either. Jedi vs Sith is pretty much a matter of good vs evil and there's appeal in playing as both. You could argue the Force Lightning is cool, but some like myself might even prefer the higher emphasis on the canon-wise base Force abilities of Telekinesis that the Jedi get, so again, a matter of choice. Smuggler vs Imperial agent might favour the Smuggler a bit, but as you said, Bounty Hunter vs Trooper generally favours the BH (although Trooper having Jennifer Hale as the female voice actress will put a dent in that).

So yeah, really, since you're asking this question, why would you want to be a part of the Republic rather than the Sith? I can think of personal reasons myself, don't get me wrong, but what is it that you feel is superior within the Republic?

For me personally I went alliance long time ago at release and hated the huge imbalance. Told me myself never again will I be one of the "good guys". Ironic enough though horde now outbalances alliances on majority of active servers.

I prefer the stalwart trooper who's ready to unleash his badass cannon on any motherfucker that tries to chip his armor.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    People have own options. I haven't decided yet myself.

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 06:36 PM ----------

Pretty much, I wouldn't go just for mindless killing spree or anything, but i would do lots of things if there weren't consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Im honestly more of a good guy player, even though Im a horde player,

The Horde are the good guys. The Alliance are the racist pricks.
    Just sayin'

On Topic: You'll probably find all the teenagers going Sith because they think it's cooler, and the adults going Republic because they don't want to put up with the WoW kids

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    The Horde are the good guys. The Alliance are the racist pricks.
    Just sayin'

On Topic: You'll probably find all the teenagers going Sith because they think it's cooler, and the adults going Republic because they don't want to put up with the WoW kids
    My entire guild is pretty much over the age of 25, I think we have like 2 20 year olds and they're the youngest. We pretty much all wanted to go Sith. So please don't try and insinuate that everyone who's going Empire is a young "wow kid", it's frankly a little insulting.
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

Sith: Freedom, Power, No accountability. That would be the appeal I suppose. From a lore point of view I guess.

Personally Im gonna be Sith Light Side, and Jedi Dark Side. Just cause I can and I like snowflakes