Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    People have their own opinions, I like Sith more just because they're the villains tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    People like the dark, broody, badass, evil characters more than the noble characters, generally speaking.
    Both of these. In all games that have a "morality" option I go dark/evil/bad. Why? Not sure but I assume because it is a game and not real life
    "Peace is a lie"

15+ Year Old Account
    i like power plays and overthrowing boss/leaders with under hand tactics
    im trap in this bullshit this routine of life. they build us all up just to tear us all down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit
    "its like my tongue on LSD"

Quote Originally Posted by Rickarus View Post
    The issue is, there really hasn't been a big enough sample of Sith to state with certainty, what their ideals as a whole are. Throughout the movies there are 4 Sith, Palpatine, Maul, Dukuu, Anakin/Vader. That's it. You don't really get any idea of what type of person Darth Maul really is outside of being Palpatine's apprentice. Dukuu is more or less just fed up with the Jedi, and is more evil in the sense that he is opposing the "good guys" in the movie. Anakin does everything out of love, and once he becomes Vader, he is more or less being controlled by Palpatine. Palpatine is the only person in the movies who is qualified to teach someone to become a Sith Lord, and he has his own agenda, and HE is the reason those specific Sith do so many evil things.

What also has to be taken into consideration is that the Sith in the movies are the last of their kind, they have been completely exterminated by the Jedi, and more or less forced into a corner. That does not make what they did any less wrong, but it makes it less of "pointless evil."

The Sith during TOR are not in that situation. At that point, they're "morally grey". Choosing to play as a Sith will not force you to be an evil character, just like choosing to be a Jedi won't force you to be a goody two-shoes. Remember, this is BioWare, they're all about making moral choices, and choosing to be a friendly, upstanding Sith is very likely to be an option.
    You do make some very good points, especially surrounding the movie and such, however, during the time of TOR, we're living in the aftermath of a massive assault on the Republic, not really sure that constitutes "morally grey". Also, yes, we do know that you can chose options in TOR, but do we know really how this plays out exactly?

Do you get these sorts of options.
    1. Kill the guy.
    2. Blackmail him.
    3. Report him, where he will probably face torture and then death.

Or things like this:
    1. Kill the guy.
    2. Let him go, don't tell anyone anything.
    3. Give him a few credits to help him escape.

I think the former is more likely, a situation where you have the choice of lesser evils, but no truly "good" options. Likewise, I think the opposite will likely be true of the Jedi classes, the choice of less "good" options, but no truly evil ones.

What I'm saying is, they keep saying you can be a good guy in the Empire or a Bad Jedi etc, but do you think there will really be room for this in actuality?

1-They are Evil...>
    2-Sith CAN have girlfriends
    3-Jedi are scum
    4-Sith Pureblood
    5-Chiss
    6-Inquisitor sorcerer = UNLIMITED POWAH!

"Evil will always triumphs because good is dumb."

Also, Sith Lightning > Throw pebbles at your enemy.

I've had my fill of the movies and some EU books glorifying the Jedi and the Republic. I've always wanted to be a sith ever since I was young, heh
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of personal opinions being presented to categorize a majority.

Just because you think people like being the bad guys, want to be cool, etc, doesn't mean that's the reason. The exact arguments can be used to counter those sayings.

There are many reasons already stated why someone may want to be Sith. For me personally, I like their rich lore better than the Republic's. And I've always liked bounty hunters.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

I want to be a Sith mostly because of that guy over there (avatar).
    Navarasa Forsaken Priest lvl 85 @ Spinebreaker [EU] - inactive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwun View Post
    Ultimate double facepalm with keyboard
    While that post is nonconstructive and spam and I really should infract you for it, I'd like to know why that quote is worth a facepalm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to guess because Star Wars was actually " a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away".

If I get where op is going, I think this is a sort of badly posed question, because people don't choose to play sith to kill for pleasure. And this is perfectly understandable, if you want to be free and do what you want and experience the lore etc then that's good, even great. The sith in the game aren't all about ruthless murder. I believe some might play their charachters in such a way, but most definitely won't. The sith in the game aren't made like the sith in the movies. And the sith in the movies aren't necessarily either what is referred to here. I'm not going to argue lore or anything here, that's just besides the point. There's no real reason to use any sort of an ip for the question, that's just a place where you're given a chance to fulfill your wants.
    -->
    Do you like playing a sociopath who does not care anything for anyone else and could cause any amount of suffering to others without remorse? If so, why?
    That's a question I'd like to have an answer to. Do some people really think it's fun to do this in videogames, even if they don't think so in real life, and what's so fun about it?

I'm really wondering, since I'm a lawstudent in training to be a prosecutor and I've seen some really fucked up stuff been done by criminals, in crime scene photos and some people who've been victimized, and that suffering is real. Then I read people going on about how cool it would be to get to 'kill younglings' in this game and I just start asking myself, what's up with people? What makes doing this cool, even in a game, why would you ever want to? I'm not looking to ban it or anything I just have a hard time understanding it and I'd appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me a bit.

MainTankasin - Consular/Inquisitor Tanking

10+ Year Old Account
    You pose a very dangerous question. Short answer, it's fantasy. In truth, it's no different than playing the good guys. Both chop people up and kill them. Many people are good IRL. It's sometimes fun to be, or pretend to be, bad.

Cuz generally villians are more fun to play in games...see GTA
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Quote Originally Posted by Ozires View Post
    If I get where op is going, I think this is a sort of badly posed question, because people don't choose to play sith to kill for pleasure. And this is perfectly understandable, if you want to be free and do what you want and experience the lore etc then that's good, even great. The sith in the game aren't all about ruthless murder. I believe some might play their charachters in such a way, but most definitely won't. The sith in the game aren't made like the sith in the movies. And the sith in the movies aren't necessarily either what is referred to here. I'm not going to argue lore or anything here, that's just besides the point. There's no real reason to use any sort of an ip for the question, that's just a place where you're given a chance to fulfill your wants.
    -->
    Do you like playing a sociopath who does not care anything for anyone else and could cause any amount of suffering to others without remorse? If so, why?
    That's a question I'd like to have an answer to. Do some people really think it's fun to do this in videogames, even if they don't think so in real life, and what's so fun about it?
    Because in videogames you can do things like that without having to worry about CONSEQUENCES
    Last edited by Sargerus; 2011-10-30 at 03:19 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    The Sith, however, do enjoy killing, they kill their masters and succeed them, they are extremely cruel, they're the sort of people that could commit genecide and be happy about it - I don't think there are many people out there that would be like that.

So ultimately, I wonder why people I imagine must have at least a couple of things in common with me (play video games, like star wars) would find the idea of playing a character that wouldn't hesitate to do the most evil of things fun?

I'm not talking about killing for survival, or anything else to maintain your survival, I'm talking about doing these things just because you can, because you care so little for Human life that you would casually kill for a few credits. I can't imagine the general population would kill their co-workers to get a promotion, for instance.

Just look at the movies, the poor guy fails to do his job properly, he's apologising..and oh.. wait.. force choke, bye. Seems a little extreme. Pretty sure officers don't kill people in the military if they make a mistake.

Ultimately I think the Sith are just self-centered and selfish, they care only for themselves and will do anything they can for personal gain, even if that means the death of entire people. Fuck, they blew up Alderaan just to fuck Leia off.
    A Sith's motivations are not "for fun", but rather for power. Weakness isn't tolerated, and it's better to see your enemy dead, than in prison only to escape/be released and hunt you down in the future.

I don't think it's so much the enjoyment Sith get from torturing/killing. I think it's that they are desensitized, and life isn't held on a pedestal. Power IS. It's why killing comes so easily to them. IF someone's mother needs to die to gain power, she' dead. IF you have to torture someone to get the information you need, they will be screaming. Then enjoyment they get is from victory, suffering is secondary and inconsequential.

Different human civilizations have similar traits to the Sith (Nothing to the same extreme), but in their societies it's considered acceptable and a way of life.

This is why I want to play the Empire. The Sith code is awesome in comparison to the Jedi code. It does, at least to me, feel more free. And some characters (in general) deserve killing. Jar Jar Bink for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the sith because they give more freedom for RP, while sticking within the bounds of his faction. you can play so many different kinds of sith, while still remaining 'Sith' whereas with Jedi I always feel you need to toe the line alot more, conform to the idea of 'Jedi'
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Sith can flirt without any conflict with morale. Jedi have celibate. And on the other hand there isn't much know about the sith.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    Force Lightning - it's pink. Not so bad ass :P
    Try Purple, and since it's one of the Sith's main colors, it's very appropriate and badass.

I am not sure what will be my "main", even because its said to say whitout knowing better how the classes are. Was thinking sith inquistor (sorcerer) or a trooper in republic.

Kinda off topic but could anyone tell me wich would be the closest to a warlock at wow? For 7 years I played one in wow so would be nice to start with something similar until knowing all classes. And does anyone know the diference between a jedi consular and the sith inquistor?
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

When it comes to games like this, I always do go with the "bad guy" like WoW is (I go with horde), except no one can really count alliance or horde as bad guys, they just do what they need to do to survive. But OT, for me the sith have that more dark and mysterious figure in which i just seem to like more. Especially with the hoods over all their heads, the piercing red eyes, and the attitude that says, "you come to disrespect me, you will be killed before you can take your last breath." Ive always just enjoyed how that is...plus red and black are my favorite colors :3