Thread: Consular Tank?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    So the Consular is tri-spec capable? How is that possible? I did not realize it could dps, tank and heal. Or is it just tank and heal now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Consular Sage can dps and heal
    Consular Shadow can dps and tank
    Just depends on your AC choice

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Thanx for clearing that up....not sure why someone would sort of 'gimp' themselves by going pure dps for instance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminus View Post
    I think they are going to be off tanks. I don't think I'm breaking NDA by saying this (sorry if it is) but I've seen many gaming websites with devs talking about how most classes can off-tank and off-heal and Assassins can take some hits with certain abilities; however, in instances, I've only seen Juggernauts and Guardians, and I've yet to see a Trooper or Bounty Hunter, taking the tanking roles. I don't have a high level character yet so I'm not so sure.
    Take the dev. Eternity Vault trailer for one. They have an Assassin as offtank. They should be able to execute the MT duty as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TiaMaster View Post
    Thanx for clearing that up....not sure why someone would sort of 'gimp' themselves by going pure dps for instance.
    I don't understand what you mean by people gimping themselves by going pure dps. I've always tried to follow the saying that "a jack of all trades is the master of nothing". You also seem to forget that you will have companions that will be able to tank/heal/dps depending on which comp you have with you. Seems to me you would 'gimp' yourself by trying to go down the hybrid road. /shrug

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galm View Post
    Take the dev. Eternity Vault trailer for one. They have an Assassin as offtank. They should be able to execute the MT duty as well.
    Actually, it's a second tank, even referred to that in the video. The Sin is NOT referred to offtank, and ever referencing it as such will help solidify a stigma about the AC that simply isn't true.

Both the Jug and Sin tank the same mobs in the beginning (of the eternity vault video), and during the end both are fully capable of taking the incoming dmg while everyone else hides. Different tools to do the exact same job.

Shadow's tank by using the force as a shield. In the Hope video where the shadow tank blocks the light saber with her hand. Also they have a force aura IE Def stance from wow. That allows them to tank
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Consular Sage can dps and heal
    Consular Shadow can dps and tank
    Just depends on your AC choice

I am just sort of confused on how exactly you tank?

Edit: found it under Kinetic combat in Shadow max point ability is the threat generating ability. Just looking at it that is a very odd kind of tanking.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post

Edit: found it under Kinetic combat in Shadow max point ability is the threat generating ability. Just looking at it that is a very odd kind of tanking.
    So is range tanking I would presume. I'm sure it something to get use to, but I doubt it'll take very long to get use to it, imo. To be fair, every tank I've ever leveled I've leveled as the thanking "spec". Just to become way more accustomed and comfortable with new abilities as they come. DPS, to me, is far easier to figure out...no responsibility.

10+ Year Old Account

Depending on which stance you're in, your abilities will do different things. That's all I can say.

As I posted you have a defense of stance that works just like a Blood Dk all your abilites have threat built into them when in that stance
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSN View Post
    I'd still hope they'd release a video of a Consular/Assassin clearly Maintanking, to get rid of the bad assumptions some people have about them already...
    Agreed. They may end up being the DK tanks of SWTOR as far as reputation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoan View Post
    Agreed. They may end up being the DK tanks of SWTOR as far as reputation.
    I like to compare them more to the Rift Stalker in Rift (Assassin soul). At least from the looks so far. BioWare recently answered a concern about this being not viable or just an off-tank spec and said that it is very important to them to make them all viable and desirable. But of course we will not know until actual release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exes View Post
    I like to compare them more to the Rift Stalker in Rift (Assassin soul). At least from the looks so far. BioWare recently answered a concern about this being not viable or just an off-tank spec and said that it is very important to them to make them all viable and desirable. But of course we will not know until actual release.
    Very true. As a tanking fanatic I"m really looking forward to the point where we get an idea of what each class brings to the table as far as tools. One of the reasons I loved my DK tank so much in WoW was the level of utility powers I could get or spec into. Would love to know what each brings to table in swtor.

Quote Originally Posted by Artaxias View Post
    I've read about shadow consular's being tank, but noticed on the main site that they wear "light armor". Has anyone played the beta and know how this works? Is it actually quite good like maybe a druid or something?
    It's a fair assumption to say that there will be some kind of armor modifier to bring light armor tanks in line with heavy armor tanks (similar to bear tanks in wow). Not sure why this warranted a post.

You can get all this info from the swtor website,forums,interviews and officially released videos, but the Con/Sin tanks use the Force to soak up damage and buff themselves while the others rely on either shield tech or heavy armor. All the ACs with a tank spec can function with no problems as a main tank. When creating and designing TOR, the devs really wanted to get a way from the old MMO standard of MT,OT etc and people need to start getting away from that mentality if they plan on playing TOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
    You can get all this info from the swtor website,forums,interviews and officially released videos, but the Con/Sin tanks use the Force to soak up damage and buff themselves while the others rely on either shield tech or heavy armor. All the ACs with a tank spec can function with no problems as a main tank. When creating and designing TOR, the devs really wanted to get a way from the old MMO standard of MT,OT etc and people need to start getting away from that mentality if they plan on playing TOR.
    The problem is no matter what Bioware says unless they have some ungodly magical raid design/boss they can not get around the fact certain tanks will be better at certain fights then others.

If the mitigation is the same SOMEHOW the slightest change due to a pvp nerf can completely screw over everything.

The problem is no matter what Bioware says unless they have some ungodly magical raid design/boss they can not get around the fact certain tanks will be better at certain fights then others.

If the mitigation is the same SOMEHOW the slightest change due to a pvp nerf can completely screw over everything.
    True but that still doesn't force one spec or AC to be pigeonholed as the better MT/OT. It just means if you roll a tank expect to be acting as a MT one fight and OT on others. Adds a little variety and spice to a role that can quickly become boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't read the replies but basically the Inquisitor and Consular are known as "Force tanks" - what they lack in heavy armor they make up with increased force (i.e they deflect, parry more) with the buffs they gain. Basically comes down to choosing Mitigation vs avoidance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toralin View Post
    I haven't read the replies but basically the Inquisitor and Consular are known as "Force tanks" - what they lack in heavy armor they make up with increased force (i.e they deflect, parry more) with the buffs they gain. Basically comes down to choosing Mitigation vs avoidance.
    no it doesn't.

I'll say it again, may even put it in my sig CON/ASS ARE NOT AVOIDANCE TANKS.

they are known as 'Force Tanks' because they use a Saberbuff spell (which is from the force) the increase their armor up to the level of the heavy armor tanks, as I stated on the previous page.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30