Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[TV] American Horror Story

Anyone else watching this ? I thought the trailers kicked ass, but didnt expect the show to be anything special.

Boy was I wrong. Lost power the other night, and I started to scare myself in the basement.

The music is great. A light touch, but at the right times.

I was the exact same way; the tv ad did not really "say" anything to me and thus, I did not watch it at first. I had a close friend tell me that it was a crazy show and so I started to watch it. Boy what a show...

I'm a fan of horror movies and shows, but this series really does something to your mind: it terrorizes your imagination and stretches your emotions to an uncomfortable degree. I don't know if you have seen all four episodes so far, but the last one almost moved me to tears. There's nothing like a show that scares you and yet, tugs on your emotional strings at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by Warcite View Post
    I don't know if you have seen all four episodes so far, but the last one almost moved me to tears. There's nothing like a show that scares you and yet, tugs on your emotional strings at the same time...
    only seen the three on hulu so far. once earlier this week and two and three last night.

hopefully this is one of those shows that sneaks up on people as word of mouth spreads, cuz im really surprised i hadnt heard people raving about it after the first 2 episodes.

its rare i get to see a show as 'disturbing' as this that isnt an hbo/showtime thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like my man and I are the only people who don't like this show. The family to me is totally unlikeable and there doesn't seem to be alot of horror just alot of sex and sex relatedness. It seems like it's chock full of unintentionally funny moments.

I'm only sticking with it because it's another show I can get without having to watch commercials and I just sincerely want to know who's a ghost and who's not.

It seems decent so far, the whole Moira storyline seems like the most interesting one. I do hope though that they aren't planning on having everything revolve around the house since that would get old pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Signe View Post
    Seems like my man and I are the only people who don't like this show. The family to me is totally unlikeable and there doesn't seem to be alot of horror just alot of sex and sex relatedness. It seems like it's chock full of unintentionally funny moments.

I'm only sticking with it because it's another show I can get without having to watch commercials and I just sincerely want to know who's a ghost and who's not.
    Honestly, this is why I enjoy this show. The family is not perfect, I absolutely HATE shows that do not show the grim side of a family, this one just tends to revolve around that grim aspect of it. Which I can understand why people wouldn't like that, but just watching the show I knew most people would not get the fact that it's not necessarily a 'horror" but a Psychological thriller; things such as music, symbolism & timing play a huge role in this. Most people will not get it, which is good. I genuinely believe that TV shows such as "American Horror Story", "Sons of Anarchy" & "Breaking Bad" are the new art in film. Movies have became liquid shit, these shows actually have good writing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovacor View Post
    Honestly, this is why I enjoy this show. The family is not perfect, I absolutely HATE shows that do not show the grim side of a family, this one just tends to revolve around that grim aspect of it. Which I can understand why people wouldn't like that, but just watching the show I knew most people would not get the fact that it's not necessarily a 'horror" but a Psychological thriller; things such as music, symbolism & timing play a huge role in this. Most people will not get it, which is good. I genuinely believe that TV shows such as "American Horror Story", "Sons of Anarchy" & "Breaking Bad" are the new art in film. Movies have became liquid shit, these shows actually have good writing
    That's really well put...

You might get 1 or 2 good movies a year now, But TV shows seem to be getting better, I used to really look forward to the next big blockbuster etc etc but now it know its just a ploy to sell popcorn and fizzy drinks, But Now i look forward to series Like Breaking Bad, Game of thrones & the walking Dead..

But this show seems ok so far, little crazy and the actors seem a little rough around the edges which i like...

I watched the first episode and I'm intrigued enough to continue watching it. You can certainly tell it's from the creator of Nip/Tuck.

I want to be a pretty girl!

The show is meh, but I do tune in to see the young version of the maid. She is hawt.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    not a horror fan in the least, but my wife got me to watch it, and now i love it!

Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead, and American Horror story are the must watch for me.

A very unusual show. My mother got me to watch it and since I like weird stuff, it pulled me in pretty quickly. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more. Definitely a good watch, but I can see how it isn't for everybody. I wouldn't call it horror at all and I think that some people have been misled into thinking that.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I wouldn't call it horror at all and I think that some people have been misled into thinking that.
    Well, it *is* horror, but more of a Stephen King suspense/terror kind of Horror... and not so much a Texas Chainsaw Massacre "OMG LOOK AT ALL THE BLOOD AND ZONBIES!!!!" horror.

Though, I gotta say... I start twitching every time someone goes near the cellar door.

15+ Year Old Account
    this show freaks me out...i refuse lol

"Mom... mom?... mommy ?"

Perfect choice of lines, and perfectly delivered. Been waiting for that scene for a while now, and wondered how they were going to play it out.

all i can say is this is one fucked up show and i just watch it for no reason that i am consciously aware of :/

Quote Originally Posted by Ovacor View Post
    Honestly, this is why I enjoy this show. The family is not perfect
    Has nothing to do with "not being perfect", you can be flawed yet still come across as likeable. Your SoA example is a good one-are Jax, or Chibs, or Juice, or Bobby, or Unser for example flawed? Of course. Yet I still don't find them obnoxious and totally unlikeable, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Has nothing to do with "not being perfect", you can be flawed yet still come across as likeable.
    For the purposes of the show, they appear to have deliberately stepped beyond the 'flawed hero', and moved into the realm where the viewer has to ask themself 'is this person (family) beyond redemption ?'.

So long as they tread carefully around cliche's I'm fine with the dad being a dick, if its clear he's intended to be exactly that.

Watched about 2 mins,then closed.

I love this show so far. Ryan Murphy and his partner make amazing television. Glee, Nip//tuck, and now American Horror Story.
    A haunted house in LA, most shows only talk about a house being haunted, but this show jumps in and shows exactly what it is.

Also, Dylan McDermott is a hell of an actor, I loved watching The Practice, and still need to watch Dark Blue. His voice is really commanding and has a quality about it that most actors don't have. Amazing drama actor.