Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    What types of food are you eating bro? Whole grains, fatty meats, lean meat, fruits, vegetables? The calories mean nothing compared to the TYPES of food that you're eating.

Take the wow character challenge. Eat only when you are about to do a raid. Only drink when you are about to do a raid and only with a herbal supplement instead of the usual stuff. Stick to the sushi when you have to. Most of all, only eat the food that actually buffs you up. Do that for a few months and you should be decent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont focus on weight loss; focus on health.

You are doing all this stuff so you can feel better. Dont focus on looks; it wont last. Focus on changing your lifestyle and feeling better. The weight loss will come, but health is more important than weight loss itself.
    Well said, think people are to obsessed with weight. And should instead just focus on getting healthier, you can be huuuge, but still fit as a fiddle.

Losing weight is "simple", you really just need to use more calories than you eat. But that's a veeeeery simple way of looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corjha View Post
    Stay away from animal products.Unless you're on a muscle building diet you should avoid animal fats and proteins.
    1. If you're trying to loose fat, you're trying to replace it with something more useful like muscle (for the most part)
    2. That is an ignorant statement. Why stay away from animal products? Humans have lived off of basic animal products for thousands of years and been healthy; what do you propose he eat instead of meat/cheese? (Foods that will keep you full for a sufficient amount of time)

Quote Originally Posted by Geni View Post
    Muscles is heavier than fat. If you go to the gym three days a week lifting weights, you won't loose weight but you will get thinner.
    Pretty much this. In the beginning your muscles will grow, but your fat will stay the same. So it will look like you are gaining weight. But its not actually true - muscles will burn your fat after all.

3 weeks is nothing at all. I have no idea why you expected results so early.

If you want to burn your fat really fast, you should spend a LOT more than 3 hours a week in gym. I think 10-14 hours will suite you best. A little bit extreme, but fast weight loss guaranteed.
    Be more aggressive in gym. You should go out of it half dead. And you should barely be able to stand up from bed in the morning.

Use some proteins, fat burners, and in 12 month you will be able to participate in your first bodybuilding contest

Everyone tells you to just eat less than you burn but it goes so much deeper than that. You really only want about a 500 calorie deficit in the day. If you eat too much, you get fat but if you eat too little, your body will also freak out and hold on to whatever food and fat it can. You basically have to trick your body into thinking everything is fine.

The way to think about it is the scheme in the movie Office Space. You only want to take a small amount each time so no one notices. If you take too much, your body will catch on.

Send me a PM and I'll help you get set on the right track.

Deleted
    When your body starts to lose weight your body will go into survival mode. Your metabolism will slow down, and your body well send signals to your body telling you to eat more. Just stay to your diet and exercise regiment. Stay away from animal products. Unless you're on a muscle building diet you should avoid animal fats and proteins. Stay with beans and nuts for proteins. Drink 6-7 glasses of water a day. Exercise early in the day because it will boost metabolism. Eat 5-6 times a day in small amounts. Any type of running or jogging will help you lose weight the fastest, avoid weights and exercise equipment if you're not trying to build muscle.
    This is why you really shouldn't come here for advice.
    Almost nothing in that paragraph is true and some of it is down right mind-boggling.
    Avoid protein and animal fats?
    Avoid lifting weights?
    What.

Deleted
    Thanks for the help guys.

Think main thing I need to do is change regime a bit, do less exercise but more often (so do 45 minutes 7 days a week rather than 90 minutes 3 days a week).

Also, i get the "get fit dont aim to loose weight" argument, however the reason i'm doing this is to get down to optimum weight for sailing (which is 75-85kg) so I DO need to loose weight, not just get fit.

You've yet to answer the question: What TYPES of foods are you eating? What are you eating a lot of and what are you eating small amounts of?

In the OP, you mentioned you're "eating healthy" what constitutes that?

To to a website and calculate how much energy you use on an average day in a week.
    Now eat less energy than that.

-500 calories per day = -0,7k kg per week
    -1000 calories per day = -1,5kg per week

As long as you stay below the average energy intake, then it doesn't matter which type of food you eat. You could eat all fat if you wanted, you'd still lose weight.
    No Screenshot. No Signature. From WMV or Ingame. Make it big.

Watch me create signatures on Youtube here - Watch my signature gallery here

Hey... Just going to let you know... Reading the posts above people are telling you "Go for a run" "Go for a Jog" .... Just going to let you know, as a Kinesiology Student..this will not help you...If you wish to do it in a interval training manner it will.. but in a strict jogging/running manner it will just encourage your body for the most part to store more energy.. ei. Fat :O

If you Want more information on this just let me know.... your best suggestions are really... Changing your lifestyle. Ei. Food habits, snacking, laziness ect.... Don't waste your time dieting.. it just messes up your metabolism/system and you end up messing yourself up after you come off.

As well as Possibly setting yourself up a training routine properly... 90% of what people believe to be true when it comes to weight off ect. is false... I would see someone who actually knows what they are talking about... ei.. a Kinesiologist..or sorts and work from there.... Best of luck to you on your goals

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaios View Post
    You've yet to answer the question: What TYPES of foods are you eating? What are you eating a lot of and what are you eating small amounts of?

In the OP, you mentioned you're "eating healthy" what constitutes that?
    Wholegrain cerials for breakfast with juice usually (extra Vit C, im prone to colds etc)
    usually eating fruit during morning/lunch.
    Usually lean meat and vegtables for dinner (not meat every night obviously)

trying to drink more water during the day, and cut back on coffee etc

If you want to blitz it, do like this. Do 4 days aerobic at 90 minutes. 3 days anaerobic at 45 minutes. On your aerobic days keep your heart rate at the ideal fat burning zone, so it will be a pretty easy going moderate pace, slow enough to where you can hold a conversation while you do it, but hard enough to get your heart moving. On your Anaerobic days, hit the weights hard since it is a shorter exercise day. With a basic plan like that you will rev your metabolism through the roof and shred the weight off. Naturally like previously stated, keep a tight record of your caloric intake. Don't overeat, if you set yourself 1800 calories a day, eat exactly 1800 calories every day.

If you aren't recording on a paper or on a computer your daily caloric intake and exercise, you had better start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I actually just stumbled upon this pretty cool blog, this fitness trainer is doing Fit2Fat2Fit, over the last 6 months he basically had a very high calorie low exercise (changed from being in great shape) lifestyle and gained ~70 pounds to learn what it felt like to be fat (Fit2Fat part), and this week he starting the weight loss (Fat2Fit part) and is blogging about everything he does, what he is going to eat, exercises he does, ect, so that people following him can join along. So, you might wanna check that out for some help.

Website is http://www.fit2fat2fit.com/

Best of luck!!!!

Okay, Reape, the problem is the whole grains and the juice. Get rid of them. Completely. Eat your fruit, and don't drink it. How many people do you know sit down and eat 4 oranges in a sitting (roughly equivalent to 1 glass of OJ)?

If you're overweight, insulin spiking is already an issue; it's how you got to be that way. Two slices of whole grain bread will spike your blood sugar more than 1 Tbsp of Sucrose; think about it. As one of the posters said, avoid foods with high GI's (glycemic index.) You know what foods have relatively low GI..?
    Vegetables, (most) fruits, and best of all, proteins/meats.

The GI of an egg: 0 of a steak: 0 of butter: 0

meaning they will not impact blood sugar levels and encourage insulin production that will encourage fat storage.

When you eat these high carbohydrate foods, your body is forced to produce the hormone insulin which will send your body into a roller coaster of increasing appetite along with fat storage. To fix this, stop eating the majority of carbohydrates, in particular, "heart-healthy-whole grains" along with potatoes, flour, starch, you name it. Birds are the only mammals that eat grains and thrive on them, not humans.

I'm going to point you to this blog post called, "The Framework of Common Sense." The blogger makes a lot of valid points:

http://primalmeded.com/2011/06/10/th...-common-sense/

http://primalmeded.com/start-here/

read what she has to say; she makes a lot of valid points. All in all, I'm telling you that your best bet is a diet similar to Atkins. Just trust me. It works. (As a side note, if you want to dispel any fears about developing heart disease or whatnot from that diet, watch the movie, Fathead.. it's free on Hulu, and you can probably find it on youtube.)

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kazmar View Post
    Hey... Just going to let you know... Reading the posts above people are telling you "Go for a run" "Go for a Jog" .... Just going to let you know, as a Kinesiology Student..this will not help you...If you wish to do it in a interval training manner it will.. but in a strict jogging/running manner it will just encourage your body for the most part to store more energy.. ei. Fat :O
    Sorry this is totally false. The only thing even remotely true that you posted is that interval training can boost your metabolism much more than traditional exercise. The problem is and the reason I don't usually recommend interval training, especially to your average person trying to lose weight. Is that A: it can be dangerous, and B: it's not as easy to stick to. The biggest issue people have with losing weight, is sticking to the program, and HIIT is not easy for beginners to stick to.

Jogging, walking, running etc will absolutely burn calories and result in fat loss. It has been proven time and time and time and time and time again.

When your body starts to lose weight your body will go into survival mode. Your metabolism will slow down, and your body well send signals to your body telling you to eat more. Just stay to your diet and exercise regiment. Stay away from animal products. Unless you're on a muscle building diet you should avoid animal fats and proteins. Stay with beans and nuts for proteins. Drink 6-7 glasses of water a day. Exercise early in the day because it will boost metabolism. Eat 5-6 times a day in small amounts. Any type of running or jogging will help you lose weight the fastest, avoid weights and exercise equipment if you're not trying to build muscle.
    You will only go into survival mode if you are past that starving sensation and cease to feel hungry. You never want to be in that mode because it will break down muscle tissue and cause you to feel much weaker in gym sessions. Do not avoid protein. You want a high protein low carb diet for weight loss. Lift ALOT of weights. Focus on the big muscle groups at least 2 days a week and the smaller ones 2 or 3 other days of the week. Muscles are engines. They need energy to work and the more developed they become the more calories they consume. This is why you need high protein low carb, to help build muscle with the increased weight training but avoiding an overload of carbs to create a calorie deficit so you can still lose weight (adipose tissue weight as opposed to muscle tissue). Long slow distance running also encourages fat loss, but too much for too long can counteract the weight training; find a medium ground that you are comfortable with. Fitness is a lifestyle change first and foremost so sit down and commit to yourself in your mind that you will make that change, and make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
    You will only go into survival mode if you are past that starving sensation and cease to feel hungry. You never want to be in that mode because it will break down muscle tissue and cause you to feel much weaker in gym sessions. Do not avoid protein. You want a high protein low carb diet for weight loss. Lift ALOT of weights. Focus on the big muscle groups at least 2 days a week and the smaller ones 2 or 3 other days of the week. Muscles are engines. They need energy to work and the more developed they become the more calories they consume. This is why you need high protein low carb, to help build muscle with the increased weight training but avoiding an overload of carbs to create a calorie deficit so you can still lose weight (adipose tissue weight as opposed to muscle tissue). Long slow distance running also encourages fat loss, but too much for too long can counteract the weight training; find a medium ground that you are comfortable with. Fitness is a lifestyle change first and foremost so sit down and commit to yourself in your mind that you will make that change, and make it happen!
    I would add that you should really focus on compound exercises if you are new to weight lifting. It will give you a much better yield than isolation exercises.

All in all, Reape, my point in the last post is that your problem is not necessarily exercise. It helps weight loss, but not nearly as much as a shift in the quantities of macronutrients you're eating. Eat more carbohydrates and you'll continue to gain weight or stay at a stand-still; Eat more protein and limit or eliminate the carbohydrates for the most part, and you will watch the weight pour off of you.

Everyone in this forum is extremely concerned about calorie intake. The equation doesn't make sense. (calories in vs. calories out). For example, when I was overweight, if I were to cut the fruit from my diet completely (worth maybe 300 calories per day) and enter a ketogenic state, I'd lose 3-5 pounds per week. Let's do the math. 300 calories X 7 days per week = 2100 calories. 1 Lb of fat = 3500 calories
    That isn't even worth 1 pound of reduced calories, yet I would be cutting down on the equivalent of 7000-14000 calories per week. See how it doesn't add up?

During that point when I'd eliminate the fruit from my diet, I'd be eating: eggs, bacon, cheese, beef, pork, chicken (with the skin), non-starchy vegetables, and that is it. Occasionally I'd eat an ounce of nuts.

Going along with that, Zaios:

Your body burns stuff in your body in order of Carbohydrates (Sugars) > Fats (Fatty Acids) > Proteins (Amino Acids).

This means that if you eat very few carbs (i.e. only your vegetables and the occasional fruit), your body turns, then, to the fat you've eaten that day or your body fat.

Basically you only need enough carbohydrates in your typical day to either restore glycogen levels back to normal after exercise or something.

Also, don't forget that Vegetables (your carb forever) make you feel full. This is a very good thing if you're trying to drop pounds.