Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"It wasnt in the movies so its out"

K getting a bad vibe on the official forums. There seems to be some huge rule that if X wasnt in the movies its off the table. Isnt there loads of lore (extended universe) that isnt in the movies and will still be included in the game? Sticking to movie lore alone seems like it could be harmful to the game to be honest.

My latest annoyance is with this thread http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=577432 "There werent any dancers in SW so they should all go"

ps. Im so getting this poster http://sweet.pp.fi/empireneedsu.jpg
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

I think it would be silly, and likely impossible to only stick to the movies.

The Old Republic was a thousand years before the movies. They have little in common, especially who dances in their cantinas.

Plus people can speculate all they want, even on official forums, but unless it's commented on by a dev it can usually be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixator View Post
    K getting a bad vibe on the official forums. There seems to be some huge rule that if X wasnt in the movies its off the table. Isnt there loads of lore (extended universe) that isnt in the movies and will still be included in the game? Sticking to movie lore alone seems like it could be harmful to the game to be honest.

My latest annoyance is with this thread http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=577432 "There werent any dancers in SW so they should all go"

ps. Im so getting this poster http://sweet.pp.fi/empireneedsu.jpg
    No dancers in the movies? People forget Oola and Lyn Me that easily?
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    The Old Republic was a thousand years before the movies. They have little in common, especially who dances in their cantinas.

Plus people can speculate all they want, even on official forums, but unless it's commented on by a dev it can usually be ignored.
    Indeed...A thousand years or so is a long time. Bioware can pretty much do what they want with the worlds (As long as its not too drastic, Hoth getting blown up ETC ETC)

But complaining about Dancers? Thats a little....extreme

I don't think BW is following that philosophy at all - they've already stated KotOR is canon for TOR (and I think some KotOR 2 lore is in as well?). Plus they are putting in races that I don't ever recall seeing in the movies - Chiss, Sith Purebloods, etc.

They are working 3k years before A New Hope - I'm pretty sure they can do just about anything they want as long as it doesn't contradict what *will* happen in the movies. IE, we know who will ultimately win the final confrontation in this game - if they changed that, it would completely contradict the history as stated in the movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it would be safe to say talking about movie lore - when not at all applicable in swotr - is equivalent to throwing the nazi card on the table.
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

You are better off avoiding the official forums like the plague. The massive amounts of misinformed drivel that is spewed on a daily basis is infuriating.

I stopped going there ages ago, its been much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixator View Post
    So it would be safe to say talking about movie lore - when not at all applicable in swotr - is equivalent to throwing the nazi card on the table.
    I think you'd have to restrict it to those who only consider the original 3 to be true cannon for that to be a good comparison. You can't just be movie-centric, gotta have your own personal canon of canon.

Deleted
    Are you serious? There is a single reply in that thread that states that and it is most likely a troll post. Most of the posters in that particular thread would like male dancers for whatever reason. To be exact it is exactly the other way around most of the time, when someone says he wants something to be in the game because it was in the movies, then that person usually gets told that this isn't the time of the movies but 3000 years before them.

First of all its very dumb to say something like that, I'm sure 90% of all class skills were not in the movies like that.
    and there WERE dancers in the films, well yes, no male ones, but if there were females why the hell should there not be male dancers?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post
    No dancers in the movies? People forget Oola and Lyn Me that easily?
    *male* dancers I think is the point of the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe – the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe.

One of the reasons Bioware set the original games and this MMO in the Old Republic timeline was that it's 3000 years before the movies and thus they have plenty of leeway with lore. I'm sure the team at Lucas Arts has general guidelines saying what they can and cannot do overall, but they seem to have plenty of freedom in this time period.

Most of what you are reading is pure opinion or supposition based on fan reaction or bias. I wouldn't put too much stock in it. I have a pretty good memory and as far as I can recall the devs have only said holiday type celebrations won't be in because they weren't in the movies and have no place in the Star Wars Univerese as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    You are better off avoiding the official forums like the plague. The massive amounts of misinformed drivel that is spewed on a daily basis is infuriating.

I stopped going there ages ago, its been much better.
    This can be applied to almost all of the Bioware forums over the past..years? I think. MMO champion seems almost timid in comparison to some of the things I've read over there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure this is a common argument among posters....who are generally complete morons. BioWare is taking into account the massive amount of lore outside of the movies though.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Which is exactly why i dont read the official forums, people dont know a crap about anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe – the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe.
    and that comment by Lucas made no sense.
    Remove everything of that "parallel universe" and you end up with a story that make no sense.

P.s. The movies are not a thousand years after but 3 and a half!

I run across this aswell in the forums, just point them to http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page if it's not in here then most likely it's not lore.
    This will be your lore BIBLE.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was watching a video of some guy giving reasons to TOR's impending doom, and one of the reasons was that jedi consulars use double edged lightsabers, which apparently was a sith only thing. Epic star wars nerds crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I was watching a video of some guy giving reasons to TOR's impending doom, and one of the reasons was that jedi consulars use double edged lightsabers, which apparently was a sith only thing. Epic star wars nerds crack me up.
    lol Pay them no mind, people will try anything to down this game, show him this
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Double-bladed_lightsaber