Poll: Your faction

Page 27 of 73 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Release date is far to soon.. i am really discouraged purely by that now. The game is far form done, and a huge chunk of content still has to be tested.
    We will get a rushed product how i look at it now. Since i don't see how in 4 weeks we will be able to see the following features implemented and tested:

• A huge chunk of the meta game has not been implemented yet
    • Amerish has not been implemented yet
    • New weapons that are still locked and because of that have not been tested yet.
    • Cert trees (some are still locked)
    • Commander cert abilities
    • Continent Lock system

And besides that there is still Balance changes left to be done.
    In my opinion the game shouldn't launch in this year anymore. Its heading down the same road as SWTOR did, force a release before christmas.. with an unfinished product.
    There are still far to many things left to be done and tested. And in my opinion it shouldn't be released until 3 or so months from now. That would give everybody enough time to do all the things that need to be done.

For example last nights patch introduced a latency problem. With people blinking all over the screen (from vehicles to infantry) it / was like spray and pray playing.

Planetside 2 Beta Key

Alright guys, got one spare key:

MCND-4EHG-TXEZ-R7AF-TPTC

First guy gets it obviously, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by schippie View Post
    Release date is far to soon.. i am really discouraged purely by that now. The game is far form done, and a huge chunk of content still has to be tested.
    I agree with all of this. The beta is fun enough, they should just forego a real release for as long as they need. They can do what Valve is doing with DotA2 - "release" the game as a beta, let people buy access to it (already happening) and transfer over accounts to live so people have a reason to play now. But don't call it a full relesae when the game is still so beta.

I'm really not sure this game is going to be ready in 4 weeks, either.

Deleted
    My only really big concern is with friendly fire and F2P. I've been playing the beta for some time now and it's not a major concern, but when the flood gates open I can see the trolls going to down on this. Even with things like "fire lock", getting a bucket load of people in a Galaxy and then purposely crashing it is not going to be a fun experience. At least having to purchase the game and/or subscribe sort of migates a few idiots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    Even with things like "fire lock", getting a bucket load of people in a Galaxy and then purposely crashing it is not going to be a fun experience.
    Well it was always a fun experience in PS . Don't really have a problem with friendly fire myself, system worked well enough in PS and while there are differences for #2 I think it'll be fine with some tuning.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

People can also reverse grief you, if you're driving a tank they can just jump on top of it and if you move it counts as running them over.

Deleted
    The release date is too early, they'll never finish it properly in time.

Friendly fire has to go, or the punishment for it has to be fixed. Accidents happen so easily, especially when people just throw themselves on your tank.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    If this game could just run properly then it would be great

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    The release date is too early, they'll never finish it properly in time.

Friendly fire has to go, or the punishment for it has to be fixed. Accidents happen so easily, especially when people just throw themselves on your tank.
    Is there any punishment for dying? Repair bills, losing items... anything like that?
    Sad to see so many getting disappointed since the game seems broken. I guess if they need another year of development they can get it out there and get some to pay the man and being f2p it just takes a bit of advertising and people will join the game later on when it's more fluent and balanced.

Been playing the shit out of beta. Some thoughts.

I picked the most aesthethically pleasing faction to me, NC. After beta servers vent down but two US one stayed up, I made a vanu char on them. I was then "holy crap!" Compared to NC, vanu weapons have practically no recoil. A light NC smg is worse than a vanu HMG in that regard. Magrider is not only extremely effective, but insanely easy to effectively operate compared to turreted vehicles. NC is bolt action that requires you to unscope between every shot, and has so much bullet drop it's practically a crossbow. Vanu sniper is a semi-automatic and nigh hitscan. Their basic anti-armor MAX weapon has virtually unlimited range and no bullet drop, making it a nightmare for static defences.
    The difference was so sudden and apparent that it wasn't even funny. I spent good half an hour testing Vanu weapons in increasing disbelief, and then vent on to farm an amount of xp and certs it took me easily four times the time to do as NC. Screw them, I just converted to Vanu. This can't be balanced, can it?

The only toggle option that is missing is crouch, which just so happens to be the thing you'll use most and for longest periods of time. To top it off, sprint toggle acts extremely awkwardly, making it redundant.

Aircraft are hell to fly, and controls can't even be inverted to a scheme most people would be used to from pretty much any other game with flying, ever.

The friendly fire. Holy hell! Alright, it exists, fine. But it has obnoxious punishment system that'll fire at a dozen improper targets for every actual offender it hits. Good luck avoiding firendly fire in cramped indoors when a mass of people clinges to same walls and pieces of covers, trying to engage the nemy completely oblivious to each others lines of fire. When you try to flush people out from corners you know they hide in with grenades and then some retard runs into the crossfire with weapons on full auto, and lives barely long enough to get killed by my grenade.
    Sure, I have mistook friendly targets as enemies and fired at them occasionally, but still over 95% of friendly fire is people throwing themselves in your explosives or line of fire in the most braindead way possible, or practically ramming themselves upon your vehicle, screaming "take me!". Or the odd driver who just doesn't get a shit. How many times did I run around killing stuff in a MAX for ages, being satisfied to being off CD after I finally expired, only to have some random moron run over me with flash (my armor must have more mass than his petty crawler) on a road that could hold 10 of us side-by-side, and instantly killing me! This shit needs to go, and it needs to go bad. Out-of-control liabilities aren't punished fast enough, while legit cases where friendly fire is practically impossible to avoid via firers actions lest he stop fighting entirely will feel the wrath of Khan. Why the hell is the accursed friendly fire even there!?

Then lets add all the repeatable CTD's or game-breakign bugs that require you to terminate the client, and possibly step into the login queue again. Currently, when you drive a tank and feel you are losing and cannot escape, it's a legit tactic to ram your opponent. Any explosive weapons used on enemy armor from point blank have a high or guaranteed chance to to CTD the firers client for some people. Myself included. And that's guaranteed. And goddamn annoying. I just got this magrider and was taking out two lightnings that had practically no chance against me. Oh, he's coming close? Hah! Take this! ...CTD. I got back in, but my magrider has been destroyed... and I have a 15min cd on obtaining one. Gg.

All in all, release in 4 weeks? Sceptical, and ominously anticipatory. That will not end well.

Try TR. I actually find the VS have the worst infantry in the game. Between extra speed for TR and damage for NC a VS soldier will lose to the other two faction's spray and pray any day of the week. What the VS are good for is their vehicles, the mag/scythe are both the best picks in my opinion.

TR imo is pretty overpowered at the point, don't have many thoughts on VS, been playing NC mainly due to friends. ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that its way too soon for launch. Needs another six months in my opinion.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I was interested in this game as the concept of persistent, massive battles is appealing. All it felt like though in play was a bunch of BF maps taped together.

The graphics in this game feel like something from the early 2000s. Everything's capped out and the framerate is fine, but the low res skybox in particular is just... jarring. Is it just me or my computer?

And the friendly fire is annoying. I don't know how many times I've died not because a team mate shot me, but because he ran in the way, got killed, and ate up half my clip too. Plus I managed to rack up a dozen deaths in the main spawn area before I finally managed to just run out.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Is there any punishment for dying? Repair bills, losing items... anything like that?
    Sad to see so many getting disappointed since the game seems broken. I guess if they need another year of development they can get it out there and get some to pay the man and being f2p it just takes a bit of advertising and people will join the game later on when it's more fluent and balanced.
    Oh it's not broken or anything, it could just do with some tuning. It's a fun game.
    Me and a friend spent 2 hours on a location that was completely surrounded by both enemy sides. Ofcourse there were a lot of other people there was well! It was a really fun defense, and we managed to hold out until our area got reconnected with the main area and reinforcements streamed in to relieve us.

Was it The Crown? People are always fighting over that one. I spent a few hours yesterday defending it as TR, NC coming up from Zurvan and VS from Allatum. Neither faction ever made it up the hill, was a good time for cert farming...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    I was interested in this game as the concept of persistent, massive battles is appealing. All it felt like though in play was a bunch of BF maps taped together.

The graphics in this game feel like something from the early 2000s. Everything's capped out and the framerate is fine, but the low res skybox in particular is just... jarring. Is it just me or my computer?

And the friendly fire is annoying. I don't know how many times I've died not because a team mate shot me, but because he ran in the way, got killed, and ate up half my clip too. Plus I managed to rack up a dozen deaths in the main spawn area before I finally managed to just run out.

Okay thats just sad..

Early 2000

Planetside 2

Its really bad that you are comparing those graphics, if your computer cant handle it you cannot call the game out on it.

One thing i hope you are not going to try and say is compare it BF3.. you cant its an MMO which changes so much about a core game concept. It has to deal with so much more then a simple FPS game. So many more players, more vehicle orientated combat, more affects and sounds all around you.

You just cant compare it to your every day copy cat run of the mill FPS game.

On topic:

Like i said before the game is not ready, its still suffering FPS spikes and drops at the most weird moment. Going from 130fps to 10-30 fps after you have shot with a gun for example. All those issues still have to be fixed. Also the way how the game loads in information is done poorly, making when you fly for example the chance of stuttering when a huge battle is loading in.
    Last thing for testing purposes it currently only uses 2 cores.. so quad core users are left with a badly running game. While its CPU bound.
    Last edited by schippie; 2012-10-22 at 09:58 PM.

Deleted
    You sure about the cpu...
    Fairly sure I've seen my i5 at ~75% while playing it before...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    You sure about the cpu...
    Fairly sure I've seen my i5 at ~75% while playing it before...
    Check cores used. For me currently it only wants to use 2 cores. Its not much of a problem most of the time. But in large scale battles i don't get any fps higher as 40.

I think PS2 has amazing graphics for an MMO. The lighting in particular is fantastic.