Mindsear + SWD = Dead Fel Hunter?

I'm at school atm, so can't check it right now, but am dying to know.

I heard that if you Mind Sear a Warlock hardcasting summon pet and quickly SWD the pet as it spawns that it dies instantly. Can anyone tell me if this is true, for shadow and/or disc?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phazormal View Post
    I'm at school atm, so can't check it right now, but am dying to know.

I heard that if you Mind Sear a Warlock hardcasting summon pet and quickly SWD the pet as it spawns that it dies instantly. Can anyone tell me if this is true, for shadow and/or disc?
    Probably since it starts with 10% hp i believe and goes back to 100% after 1 second or something

There is a bug with summoning all pets currently, hunters have this issue aswell.

Pets don't gain their full stat benefits until 3seconds or so after being summoned
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

They stated they plan to fix this 5.0 so abuse it while you can.

Q: Any plans to fix pet stats being too low for a few seconds after spawning?
    A: We are fixing pets so stats won't lag several seconds after logging in or dismounting in 5.0.

Just to note, the Mind Sear is completely unnecessary to get this done. AOE does not damage pets. Just SW: D it the second it spawns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Power Torrent, Volcano and Theralion proc'ed, dots just refreshed. Everyone dies. Just a tank and a boss with around 200k hp. Everyone in vt yells "omg we failed omg omg" and you "don't worry amigos, my dots are steamrolling!". Boss dies while you'd say "Enjoy your loots" with a lot of purple awesomness spilling thru your voice. Just happend yesterday.

Seriously, i thought i'd reroll warlock for 4.2, but that was the sign that i'm purple inside and i can't reroll. never.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuziza View Post
    Just to note, the Mind Sear is completely unnecessary to get this done. AOE does not damage pets. Just SW: D it the second it spawns.
    Actually, the pets spawn with 100% health, but only with 15k health or so, one SW @ 100% won't kill it directly, so getting a tick with Mind Sear could top the edge
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Actually, the pets spawn with 100% health, but only with 15k health or so, one SW @ 100% won't kill it directly, so getting a tick with Mind Sear could top the edge
    Not true, they start with 10% hp.
    I know, i am a hunter, and it sucks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuziza View Post
    AoE does damage pets. Doesn't their passive only reduce it by 90%? I think the Mind Sear ticks put the pet in combat and prevent the health going to 100%. Then making a /target macro for every Warlock pet name with Shadow Word: Death.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Then making a /target macro for every Warlock pet name with Shadow Word: Death.
    Good luck on that

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    AoE does damage pets. Doesn't their passive only reduce it by 90%?
    Pets take 100% of AoE damage. They take 90% less from NPC damage. It was changed a while back when a lot of classes used AoE abilities in their main rotation (divine storm, whirlwind).

It's not *that* hard. Granted the macro space is limited but for /tar macros you can always use the /click command at the end to press the follow up macro with even more names in it and end with SW: D. It's going to take a few buttons on your actionbar to do, but it's not impossible.

ie:
    /tar <name 1 imp>
    /tar <name 2 imp>
    /tar <name 9 imp>
    /click MultiBarRightButton1

MultiBarRightButton1:
    /tar <name 1 Voidwalker>
    /tar <name 2 Voidwalker>
    /tar <name 9 Voidwalker>
    /cast Shadow Word: Death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prothean View Post
    Pets take 100% of AoE damage. They take 90% less from NPC damage. It was changed a while back when a lot of classes used AoE abilities in their main rotation (divine storm, whirlwind).
    No, it is indeed just AoE damage: Avoidance.

As for the health that a pet has when spawning: when you summon a pet, it only has it's own base statistics. After a moment, the game then applies your character's stats (the ones that transfer, anyways) to your pet. This is why you see the pet's HP drop to a rather low percentage (10% or so) then jump to full again when one is summoned.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Reduces the damage your pet takes from creature area of effect attacks by an additional 90%.
    Looks like NPC aoe damage only to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambreene View Post
    Looks like NPC aoe damage only to me.
    Wow, can't believe I missed that. I'll have to confirm the live version when I get home to be sure, though.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!