Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How useful is Engineering?

I'm thinking of leveling Engineering, mainly for the goggles since RNG always screws me over for head tokens. Jeeves, Mechano-Hogs and portable mailbox is nice... How good are the other tinkers (both PvE and PvP) besides the synapse strings? Also, are there any older recipes that are worth learning for profit? Thanks.

Deleted
    Outside of the obvious benefits, there isnt alot of great tinkers today imo,. However i have still kept engineering just for the quality of life standpoint.

I miss working nitrus boosts tho ((( BLIZZ WHY U NO LET ME RUN FAST?!

Deleted
    it truly is a sexy profession.

I'm currently leveling a priest with engineering, i loved it since lvl 5

Deleted
    Engineering is still loads of fun even if it's not as useful as in-before the nitro boost nerf. The mind control tinker can still be really fun, especially if it goes wrong and you get a 10 second channeled stun instead. > It also gives me a good laugh every time I become the target's pet instead of him becoming mine, they always become as confused each time. ^^

The invisibility and nitro boost ain't that good anymore though, nitro boost is still loads of fun if you enjoy randomly being blasted to the stars... ^^ Invisibility has a rather high risk of breaking early so that one is just pure crap...

The parachute is always as awesome. Other than that there ain't that much aside from some fun stuff from earlier expansions.

They did however bring this up at one of the Blizzcon QnA, that Engineering was pretty much pure crap atm since the googles aren't being updated. Their response was that Engineering was first in a really bad state so they improved it, then it became too good so they decided not to make it any better, which made it bad again, in response they "promised" they would add new cool stuff to Engineering but it won't be brokenly op in a sense that would make all hard-core pvp'ers etc need to roll it. So expect new cool stuff that is purely awesome but restricted out of arena and RGB etc in the future.

Deleted
    I checked around 20 of the 25 people who got the world first Rag HC kill last time there was a discussion on engineering. If I remember correctly, 6 or 7 of those 20 (I couldn't find the armories for the remaining 5) had engineering as a profession. Now I'm not a theorycrafter and I don't know the exact DPS breakdown, but if 20-25% of people in a world first heroic kill are taking engineering, I think that's a good suggestion that it's a pretty good raiding profession.

As for profit, many of the pet recipes sell well right now - the problem is a lot of those recipes are world drops so may be hard to get hold of. There are a few easy ones to learn/farm that can make you gold though. The world destroyer is trainable and I sell that for 1000g a go when the mats cost me around 300g. Don't sell a massive amount, maybe 1 every 2 days... but good profit on my server. The rarer pets have higher profit margins on my server, but even with checking the AH every day, haven't seen the recipes yet.

Deleted
    The glove enchant is really nice, 480 agility every min is naize! The belt enchant (using absorb) is decent, 18k absorb is ok I guess. But other than that, there isnt anything more :C it was good at the start, since the goggles were pretty much bis but they just ignore adding new stuff to engineering.

engineering + jewellcrafting is the best combo for any dps because it gives 1 more of primary stat against any other combo

im still rockin it on my main because its fun :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Basically if you want to be the best raider (as DPS): Engineering
    If you want to have a ton of fun on your main but acknowledge that there probably won't be a whole lot of new amazing stuff because it would make Engineering way too powerful: Engineering

If you want to make useful things for alts: Anything else
    If you want to make money (engineering pet demand is low to the point that I don't count it): Anything else

Engineering is an impossible profession for Blizzard to balance because professions all give ONE raid buff. Anything else professions do is primarily to make money and help gear yourself and alts. Engineering doesn't give just one raid buff. It gives you one raid buff and then gives you tons of little tiny buffs that are extremely situational (nitros, shield belt, cloak, etc).

The problem is that raid buff + extremely situational tiny buffs > one raid buff. Therefore, true min/max raid DPSers have to take Engineering for those one in ten fights where they need the tiny buffs.

There's a big group that wants the above equation to be:
    OP Goggles that you can obtain way before tier helm + raid buff + extremely situational tiny buffs > one raid buff

Timmy: "Hey why can't we upgrade our goggles forever?"
    Blizzard: "We don't want a profession to permanently make so that you never have to worry about helmet upgrades again. Especially when the slot in question is the helm slot, which is currently the most notable feature of tier sets and the hardest tier piece to obtain. It is an outdated design philosophy since we compensated Engineers by making enchants stack with tinkers."
    Timmy: "You did it in TBC!"
    Blizzard: "That was a Sunwell trash drop on an absurdly low drop rate that required high level raid mats to make. It was also back before enchants stacked with tinkers making it so that the -only- thing Engineering brought to the table was the Goggles."
    Timmy: "WOW MAKING ENGINEERGIN BAD AGAIN. UR GUYS R TERRIBLE AT BALANCIE. GIMME GOGGLE UPGRADE RITE NAO!!!11leleventyone"
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-10-31 at 12:15 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Engineering is a lot of fun. It also makes for more interesting things to do; for example, the DK (Mione) that soloed the LK used the cardboard assassin belt tinker in order to do so.

In terms of pure profitability, there are better profs. In terms of dps gain, others provide the same benefit. Utility-wise, however, it can't be beat. And none of the other professions have anything close to the fun factor.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

I think engineering is great if you care only about bop benefits, it's at least on par with other professions. But imho it is THE worst money maker in the game even if you don't count gathering professions. I have been an engineer since vanilla and while having every profession maxed engineering is my least used in terms of turning a profit.

It's really really fun unless ... malfunction . CURSE YOU ROCKET FUEL LEAK .

Rocket boots are the most powerful enchant in the game, so engineering is pretty damn useful.
    It's called Bloodlust not Heroism.
    I used to be a good player once. Now I'm a casual

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sjk View Post
    Thanks for your input guys; I just maxed my Engineering a couple nights ago. The nitro boosts have yet to fail on me. :P

Another question I have is, which specialization is better - Gnome or Goblin? Or does it matter?

Depends which teleporters you want to get. I'm going with goblin, since it gives me an area 52 and a winterspring port. Gnome teleports would be toshley's station (blade's edge) and gadgetzan.

Deleted
    Everything kills you and makes you feel like a sucky engineer, but I still like it.

Deleted
    Well the gloves enchant is very gooood and sometimes rocket boost can save our life but sometimes can kill us :P

Not very. Blizzard constantly nerfs Engineering because it is too powerful at the start of the expansion. They are 100% correct by saying it could easily become a class of its own, and creates balance issues. It is, however, a nice prof to have. Apparently Blizz is not happy with its current state and wants to make it more beneficial for MoP. We'll see....
    "Knock the world right off it's feet, and straight onto it's head."

http://http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Elargee/simple

Deleted
    only useful for hunters to be honest .,,,,MAKES THEM OP. dam parachute!

People love to hate on it but you get rocket boots, jeeves, a mount, parachute, portals to northrend, outland and gadget/everlook AND the best DPS benefits for PvE. What's not to love?