Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
    You know, this might be slower, but I think I'd want to level both an arcanist and lancer at the same time. It would be hard to keep them around the same level, but I want to choice of doing the story quests on both classes.
    You're going to end up leveling faster than someone like me! Although it's really difficult to level up more than two classes at once, or so it seems. I tried leveling both lancer and conjurer together (Taking a day for each; keeping them similarly leveled) and I ran out of quests. I had to start doing FATES(?), grind out the hunting log(?) and than some pure old fashioned mob grind to level up. I'm not sure if the instant level ups are staying in release, but it'd make things a lot easier for the classes you didn't get a chance to level up.

Speaking of servers, what server are you all planning on playing on come P4 and launch.

I think I'll go Leviathan since I always loved him and he's always been my favorite summon.
    99% going to be ending up on Gilgamesh. I think I said it in an earlier post but the community there up to now has been amazing, and with a decent size planning on starting live characters there I think I'll stick around. I have the option of going to a legacy server, but I'd rather start new with arcanist and with a community that has proved to be decent so far.

Other than that, there's the 1% or probably less chance that some of my old friends pick up the game in which case I'll follow them to a legacy server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I've always wondered why English is so uncommon among Japanese people (at least, the ones i've met).

I expected it to be their "second language" in the same way that it is for Scandinavians and a great deal of people in Europe and beyond; is there another language that is their "second", or are they quite like most native English speakers in that they only really have one?
    Schools do teach English, but it's still a second language. How well they learn it is another thing. It's no different than asking anyone in the US or EU (staying in their respective country) to learn Chinese or Japanese and expect them to be super good at it after only a few years of class, it's not possible. Not to also mention that potentially not ever using it in their life time or barely ever using it is doesn't help with retention rate.

I know Mandarin, English and sort of (bad) Japanese. Mandarin technically being my 1st language (screw reading it). English being my 2nd language based off where I live (US). Japanese being off class and some random trips to Japan. Japanese being barely ever used and reading a bit on websites, you don't get as much exposure to it. Only learning it without using it doesn't help with retaining the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    You're going to end up leveling faster than someone like me! Although it's really difficult to level up more than two classes at once, or so it seems. I tried leveling both lancer and conjurer together (Taking a day for each; keeping them similarly leveled) and I ran out of quests. I had to start doing FATES(?), grind out the hunting log(?) and than some pure old fashioned mob grind to level up. I'm not sure if the instant level ups are staying in release, but it'd make things a lot easier for the classes you didn't get a chance to level up.
    I did okay leveling so far, but that's because I just gather leves and do that. Might be easier to do side quests in other zones. I wouldn't mind the level boost to be in for launch, with some restrictions. Keep it accessible at where it is, after your first grand company quest, and maybe instead of boosting to 15 maybe just 10. Also maybe put a limit on it, like one class a week or two or month.

Deleted
    Regarding the language barrier, it's mostly because of the stark differences between the languages, especially on the phonological side. You may not really notice it, but your brain gets trained to interpret the 'noises' making up language in a certain way depending on your environment. An example would be the /r/ and /l/ phonemes. in japanese, these don't really exist, but they have a phoneme that's a bit between those two. The effect is they hear their own sound every time both of 'our' sounds are spoken. It needs a lot of exercise to overcome this sort of barriers.

About the exposure, there is actually quite a lot, because the modern japanese has a lot of loanwords. But the funny thing is, you often don't recognize them^^ that#s partly because the japanese writing doesn't really lends itself for our phonology system. The only example I can come up with (4 am here) is t-shirt becoming tishatsu.

I mean, hell, we germans have problems with english rounded vowels or the infamous th (thing) and these two languages are quite similar in relation.

So, enough Off Topic, I just did 256 random battles in FF VI to decurse the paladin shield and I vow I will NEVER do that again.

Still offtopic, but actually you can guess japanese loan words meaning > 50% of the time correctly. Shatsu is a bad example, words like pasupo-to or su-pa-ma-ketto are quite easier to guess esp. in their kata form.

About server, is there any person here playing in SEA time? I dont want to roll for a NA server, since that means no end game with a huge time zone difference, but stay on a full-japanese server is just as bad - my Japanese is nowhere good enough. I heard there are SEA (mostly Sing?) guilds on certain servers, but dont know where exactly and I know of no FF forum to ask for it either.
    Last edited by kronpas; 2013-07-03 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Still offtopic, but actually you can guess japanese loan words meaning > 50% of the time correctly. Shatsu is a bad example, words like pasupo-to or su-pa-ma-ketto are quite easier to guess esp. in their kata form.

About server, is there any person here play SEA time? I dont want to roll for a NA server, since that means no end game with a huge time zone difference, but stay on a full-japanese server is just as bad - my Japanese is nowhere good enough. I heard there are SEA (mostly Sing?) guilds on certain servers, but dont know where exactly and I know of no FF forum to ask for it either.
    http://oceania.guildwork.com/
    i recommend tonberry if your ping to JP server is better than US
    "if you dont like it, dont play the game! I love the way this game is 100% and nothing should be changed, because beta's aren't meant to improve a game. I will defend this games honor with my life and will refuse that anything bad be said about things that could be improved!"

- The FFXIV Community. (and some of "legacy" player)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post

About server, is there any person here playing in SEA time? I dont want to roll for a NA server, since that means no end game with a huge time zone difference, but stay on a full-japanese server is just as bad - my Japanese is nowhere good enough. I heard there are SEA (mostly Sing?) guilds on certain servers, but dont know where exactly and I know of no FF forum to ask for it either.
    I'm rolling with bunch of my local guild players from Malaysia(English speaking chaps), but there's a mix of SG,Aussies player too.
    We're gonna be in JP Legacy - Masamune server for open beta/launch.

Quote Originally Posted by doraymon View Post
    http://oceania.guildwork.com/
    i recommend tonberry if your ping to JP server is better than US
    Quote Originally Posted by athlonmax View Post
    I'm rolling with bunch of my local guild players from Malaysia(English speaking chaps), but there's a mix of SG,Aussies player too.
    We're gonna be in JP Legacy - Masamune server for open beta/launch.
    Thank a bunch. Our group's consensus is on Tonberry also, but our experience in Beta on it wasnt very pleasant with all that kanji kata flying around (if they ever zone chat at all), without many English speaking people to communicate with it was pretty hard to form a dungeon group.

What's the deal with that instant level-upping thing, anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    What's the deal with that instant level-upping thing, anyway?
    Basically a test feature, so you get one class up to 20 and you can have others boosted to see how abilities would work mixed with other classes and make switching easier on one toon if you feel another class is a bit more fun. Makes things a little faster (especially seeing as these tests have been for only a couple days at a time).

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    Basically a test feature, so you get one class up to 20 and you can have others boosted to see how abilities would work mixed with other classes and make switching easier on one toon if you feel another class is a bit more fun. Makes things a little faster (especially seeing as these tests have been for only a couple days at a time).
    Interesting. I stopped at 10 last weekend saw some players jumping levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Interesting. I stopped at 10 last weekend saw some players jumping levels.
    You gotta finish the current beta main quest story first before you can auto level your sub class to 15.

I hope they have those level booster minstrels around next test, since I just got to lvl 19 and doing the quest before Ifrit.

I had a question on the sub. Is there any way to pay for it other than using a credit or debit card? I just don't like using my cards online, so I avoid it except for certain things. Something like WoW's game time cards or anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    I plan on staying on Masamune, played it in 1.0. Although since it's going to be a Japanese labeled server (Even if Legacy) there might not be a lot of English speaking individuals.
    I MAY try joining you depending...Last beta i got too hooked on my toons to try leveling there..Though i did make a toon. And thanks again for the PC code..My laptop can run it in standard just fine.

Though does anyone know how a GTX 660ti and an original I7-920 at 2.6ghz would do?

For reference my laptop has a 2.4 ghz i7(and a VERY packed HDD) as well as a 660M...Just curious if that graphics card upgrade for my desktop would give me better service...Oh it's this specific one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA---G...7#tab=overview

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Though does anyone know how a GTX 660ti and an original I7-920 at 2.6ghz would do?
    I have an i5 3570k and a 660ti and I run the game on max with constant 60 fps. The 660ti is a very very good GPU for the price.

Your 660M card in your laptop is roughly equal to a GTX 550ti in a desktop.

Here's to hoping SLI is able to push a constant 60 FPS on release. Throughout the beta (And future ones, I'm going to guess) I'll be only using one GTX 560 (1gb). I could only reach about 30 - 40 FPS in heavily saturated areas (Some players, no combat). Makes me sad, as I also have an i5 2500k @ 3.8 GHz. Perhaps there is something wrong and I am supposed to have a constant 60 FPS at max settings, but who knows. I don't think FFXIV: ARR is too taxing of a game, and doubt I'll need to upgrade anytime soon to play games, including this one.

I hope they have those level booster minstrels around next test, since I just got to lvl 19 and doing the quest before Ifrit.

I had a question on the sub. Is there any way to pay for it other than using a credit or debit card? I just don't like using my cards online, so I avoid it except for certain things. Something like WoW's game time cards or anything?
    Think you can also buy game time with crysta? or how its called.

but yea I feel your pain its 2013 for crying out loud only credit cards is way out of date. paypal, gamegards should be added imo unless its already added then ignore me :P

Quote Originally Posted by Malackai View Post
    Think you can also buy game time with crysta? or how its called.

but yea I feel your pain its 2013 for crying out loud only credit cards is way out of date. paypal, gamegards should be added imo unless its already added then ignore me :P
    If Square Enix doesn't allow Crysta for FFXIV: ARR I would be shocked. 1.0 accepted Crysta, FFXI accepts Crysta, I have no idea why 2.0 wouldn't.

If Square Enix doesn't allow Crysta for FFXIV: ARR I would be shocked. 1.0 accepted Crysta, FFXI accepts Crysta, I have no idea why 2.0 wouldn't.
    Streamlining payment processes possibly. I know when a few friends bought 1.0 they spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get the Crysta or w/e working, couldn't figure it out, and just dropped the game there. Didn't even get to play it. They were so fed up with trying to get their subscription functioning that they didn't even bother.