Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Yeah I read up on Bismarck seems simple enough
    I will reread em before I try it.

But yeah videos just are too much info at once
    Depends on which ones you are watching.
    Mizteq has some pretty nice and short video guides (unless the encounter does not allow a short explanation) that get straight to the point and are easy to remember.
    MrHappy in my opinion has a little better guides solely because he goes fully in depth. But for someone who gets tired with long videos he sometimes goes too much in depth without really having a reason and it feels as if hes trying to teach people how to play and narrate the tactics at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Depends on which ones you are watching.
    Mizteq has some pretty nice and short video guides (unless the encounter does not allow a short explanation) that get straight to the point and are easy to remember.
    MrHappy in my opinion has a little better guides solely because he goes fully in depth. But for someone who gets tired with long videos he sometimes goes too much in depth without really having a reason and it feels as if hes trying to teach people how to play and narrate the tactics at the same time.
    Mr happy definitely bugs me in multiple ways. But his way if doing videos is definitely one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will not understand video or text guides fully until I go in.

Everything I try it I start jumping 2-3 mechanics ahead and feel lost. I can't digest it all at once in video format especially since it covers all roles.
    1) that's perfectly normal. Esp on complex multiphase encounters. Also why I always advised my raidleads to forgo the "I'll explain everything for 10 minutes" speech.

2) You need to learn to separate relevant data from non relevant data. Typically every MMO Encounter has 2-3 mechanics for your role to handle. Filter. I agree that this is annoying to do in a video based guide and much easier to accomplish in a text based one. The major reason why I hate YT video guides beyond getting a look at stuff (IE: how does being targeted in A3 look?) in order to know what to watch out for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    1) that's perfectly normal. Esp on complex multiphase encounters. Also why I always advised my raidleads to forgo the "I'll explain everything for 10 minutes" speech.

2) You need to learn to separate relevant data from non relevant data. Typically every MMO Encounter has 2-3 mechanics for your role to handle. Filter. I agree that this is annoying to do in a video based guide and much easier to accomplish in a text based one. The major reason why I hate YT video guides beyond getting a look at stuff (IE: how does being targeted in A3 look?) in order to know what to watch out for.
    Yep when I read guides I often go AHHA after I see it in game.. I then know what to do.

Text guides act as a preview to me doing it explains it all. I just wish youtube guides weren't so damn common

10+ Year Old Account
    I just wish youtube guides weren't so damn common
    You and me both. I hate the half hour long yapping of some dude... such slow information processing ugh.

My preferred prep is: Text guide incl boss abilities + a normal kill video just to see the encounter.

Youtube guides are helpful, IF they are done clearly and well. Too many guides give the whole dam fight, bombarding you with useless information to your role in the fight. Far too many aren't guides at all and just a way to make people listen to their shitty music just to see a kill.

The best guides I have seen in my decade of MMOing are guides that are released in sections. This is the tanks fight, this is the healers, this is the melee, this is the ranged. And they are accompanied by a written guide that walks through step by step. The script is taken directly from the written guide so you aren't stuck listening to useless information while trying to see everything going on.

This is still not an excuse to be unprepared and blind though. You should never expect people to teach you to walk when your goal is to become a runner because no advice you are given will have any context for you as your ass is simply being carried.

Talk about Global Cooldowns.. That got me to quit..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoenin View Post
    Talk about Global Cooldowns.. That got me to quit..
    what class and what lvl? GCDs are less of an issue at later lvls

everyone who complains about the gcd only leveled to like 15 then quit most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    everyone who complains about the gcd only leveled to like 15 then quit most of the time.
    There are so many off-GCD skills you have to weave in you're still playing keyboard DDR. As you say, anyone who complains about it never gave the game a chance to begin with. That's like quitting WoW @ lvl 20 because you thought the combat was boring or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    There are so many off-GCD skills you have to weave in you're still playing keyboard DDR. As you say, anyone who complains about it never gave the game a chance to begin with. That's like quitting WoW @ lvl 20 because you thought the combat was boring or whatever.
    But you can spam heroic strike 24/7...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    yea my drg has an entire bar of off-gcd buttons. that's more than most wow rotations at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    You get used to the GCDs in later levels.
    I barely notice it by now. Too busy paying attention to other stuff.

Deleted
    Ι cannot take anyone who says they quit because of the GCD seriously because I know they quit pre 30.
    Casters have no issue with the gcd considering their casts last as long as the gcd anyway and melee/ranged/tanks get so many in between off gcds that by the time you re max lvl there is no time that you are not pushing buttons in your rotation.
    The game does a pretty poor job with the skills it gives you at the start because it makes gameplay feel very slow but once you get to max lvl you understand why the game is built around a 2.5 second gcd.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You and me both. I hate the half hour long yapping of some dude... such slow information processing ugh.

My preferred prep is: Text guide incl boss abilities + a normal kill video just to see the encounter.
    I'd hate them if they were that long too, and anyone taking 30 minutes to do a boss guide is probably doing something wrong.

That being said, it's rare that I see long guides for fights in this game, with the longest I can remember being Mizteq's Turn 9 guide just from the sheer amount of things that have to be done in that fight, and that clocked in at 18 minutes.

For text guides, I'd love to see the kind of effort put into stuff like this http://midnightinsomnia.com/ravana/ more often. Clear and concise writing with video, gifs, or diagrams where necessary, and the ability to narrow it down based on role.

Ι cannot take anyone who says they quit because of the GCD seriously because I know they quit pre 30.
    Casters have no issue with the gcd considering their casts last as long as the gcd anyway and melee/ranged/tanks get so many in between off gcds that by the time you re max lvl there is no time that you are not pushing buttons in your rotation.
    The game does a pretty poor job with the skills it gives you at the start because it makes gameplay feel very slow but once you get to max lvl you understand why the game is built around a 2.5 second gcd.
    The GCD is even worse later on due to all the oGCD skills you have to mash and even them have a CD. Mashing two oGCDs between a GCD to play jobs like SMN is awful.

"Press this button to deal a bit more of damage" is just meaningless busywork. If they at least made use of those Stuns and Silences so you had to time them... but lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    I'd hate them if they were that long too, and anyone taking 30 minutes to do a boss guide is probably doing something wrong.

That being said, it's rare that I see long guides for fights in this game, with the longest I can remember being Mizteq's Turn 9 guide just from the sheer amount of things that have to be done in that fight, and that clocked in at 18 minutes.

For text guides, I'd love to see the kind of effort put into stuff like this http://midnightinsomnia.com/ravana/ more often. Clear and concise writing with video, gifs, or diagrams where necessary, and the ability to narrow it down based on role.
    See now THAT is a good guide sadly guides like that are increasingly rare

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuubakusatsu View Post
    The GCD is even worse later on due to all the oGCD skills you have to mash and even them have a CD. Mashing two oGCDs between a GCD to play jobs like SMN is awful.

"Press this button to deal a bit more of damage" is just meaningless busywork. If they at least made use of those Stuns and Silences so you had to time them... but lol.
    Οh but they do. If you bothered to step into higher lvl content.

Οh but they do. If you bothered to step into higher lvl content.
    Give me an example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuubakusatsu View Post
    Why?

Ignoring the fact that you actually can make use of the stuns and silence in pretty much every fight that involves adds and sometimes on bosses too, why is it meaningless busywork?
    It's part of your rotation... I prefer every FFXIV rotation over what I have and especially *had* to do with my hunter in WoW to maximize my damage.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-02-07 at 11:15 AM.