Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I actually like the story, but Im also a big story person and dont mind how long it took. Hopefully these new potions help the people that have issues with it (and its included with expansions, right? because it would be silly to have to buy it on top of buying a new expansion. Kinda like how WoW does it).
    I believe in China they have a ARR MSQ Jump Potion and a Level 60 jump potion. In Stormblood they'll release a HW MSQ Jump Potion. They sounded like they were still discussing if there would be any reason someone would want an ARR Jump potion but now HW in Stormblood.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    When most of what you're doing is Teleporting to Ul'dah, talking to Alphinaud, then teleporting to Gridania, talking to Yda, teleporting back to Ul'dah to talk to Alphinaud again, then teleporting to Camp Drybone to click on a few shinies, then telporting to Ul'dah to talk to Alphinaud again, then teleporting to Limsa to talk to Y'shtola and then to the talk to Urianger in the Waking Sands before going to talk to Minfilia in Revenents Toll.... It makes the game world feel less connected rather than more. I exagerate with the hypothetical quest of course, but the fact that the whole of Eorzea is reduced to a few places and a handful of people, who are only seconds away at any one time, makes the game feel much smaller than it did when I was on the way to level 50.
    Ahhh, right... the "go meet them at X, but they already took care of it so just go back after a chat" segment. Yeah, those are horrible. Also massively trimmed out in Heavensward. Those were pretty bad spots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    It's on PS2 - just emulate it
    Blasphemer!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Action style, to me, was always the next step in combat because-if a developer does it correctly-it forces you to engage the game without waiting for the game to finish its action. It's like a dance in real time. No other combat style comes close in any game I've ever played. =\
    I just find it to be button mashy and might as well make Devil May Cry the gold standard of RPGs since any semblence of a party having any value to their presence goes out the window in most any action RPG I've played.

Like I've said before, though, I found Dragon Age: Origins a phenomenal happy medium and if future FF (or RPGs in general) used XV-esque action melee with a balance of Dragon Age: Origins party combat and strategy/tactics, I can be a happy camper.

But if Dragon Age II and FFXV are examples of the future of RPG combat, I'm the saddest of pandas.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Ahhh, right... the "go meet them at X, but they already took care of it so just go back after a chat" segment. Yeah, those are horrible. Also massively trimmed out in Heavensward. Those were pretty bad spots.
    Bad spots? You have a talent for understatement! I've now spent about half of my entire play time in FF 14 just doing the filler content before Heavensward. It's not even interesting content, other than the Trials it's just filler, pure and simple.

It's very literally, (that is Literally, Literally not the kind of "literaly" that really means figuratively), one hundred more quests you need to do. That's just rediculous. If I was to hazzard a guess, it would be doing this quest where most people just up and stop playing the game, especially if like me it happens to coincide with coming up to the end of the first 30 days play time you get for buying the game. It needs to go. If Squeenix are insistant on keeping the story line intact, then they should consider abridging the quest line to just the key points and cut it down to maybe 15-20 or so quests. In it's current form, it feels like Fetch Questing hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The way you describe the questing is, when boiled right down to it, accurate. The fact that you care nothing for the story shows in that boiled down picture though.
    I've made no secret of the fact that I wholeheartedly dislike the story FF 14 has. I consider it badly thought out, badly written and badly presented to the player. FF 14 isn't alone there though, I've yet to come across an MMO that handled story elements well. As far as I'm concerned, the story should only be there to give some context to the players actions in game, not as the main attraction of the game. When the story is trying to impose itself as being more important than the gameplay, then I tend to take issue with it. I never finished Mass Effect or The Witcher for much the same reasons.

But this line of discussion is getting us nowhere, so allow me to refocus it. How and why do people think story improves the game? Are there any benefits to having unlocks tied to story line progression? Given how passionately people defend both, there must be a reason why.

Bad spots? You have a talent for understatement! I've now spent about half of my entire play time in FF 14 just doing the filler content before Heavensward. It's not even interesting content, other than the Trials it's just filler, pure and simple.

It's very literally, (that is Literally, Literally not the kind of "literaly" that really means figuratively), one hundred more quests you need to do. That's just rediculous. If I was to hazzard a guess, it would be doing this quest where most people just up and stop playing the game, especially if like me it happens to coincide with coming up to the end of the first 30 days play time you get for buying the game. It needs to go. If Squeenix are insistant on keeping the story line intact, then they should consider abridging the quest line to just the key points and cut it down to maybe 15-20 or so quests. In it's current form, it feels like Fetch Questing hell.

I've made no secret of the fact that I wholeheartedly dislike the story FF 14 has. I consider it badly thought out, badly written and badly presented to the player. FF 14 isn't alone there though, I've yet to come across an MMO that handled story elements well. As far as I'm concerned, the story should only be there to give some context to the players actions in game, not as the main attraction of the game. When the story is trying to impose itself as being more important than the gameplay, then I tend to take issue with it. I never finished Mass Effect or The Witcher for much the same reasons.

But this line of discussion is getting us nowhere, so allow me to refocus it. How and why do people think story improves the game? Are there any benefits to having unlocks tied to story line progression? Given how passionately people defend both, there must be a reason why.
    I've already stated why it improves the game for me. I personally enjoy the story, as cliche and rote as it is, I become invested in it, follow it, and my character becomes a part of it lending weight to the actions I take. You see it as clicking a "shiny" and I see it as investigating XYZ thing to move the story forward. YOu're asking for something that doesn't ultimately matter to you.

I like story and enjoy it as a valuable part of the game.

You don't care about it and see it as an obstacle to getting to the game.

Neither view is wrong, but Final Fantasy is historically a game primarily about telling a story. I don't see that changing.

Deleted
    This might take some time but I try with some WoW comparsions:
    First of, there is a huge generation gap in "what would happen if my RPG would be able to continue in a MMO-World?". I remember very old games like Might and Magic 3-5, Eye of beholder and so on - back then the difficulty was almost 100% theory. Never player reaction, "skill" as you would say nowadays. It was more how to decipher puzzles, riddles which take "skill" like nowadays Kirin'thor daily quests in WoW - not fight responses, spontaneous action.

To me the first thing that got me change this kind of "elitism" was Starcraft and Warcraft 3 - while campaigns had the old difficulty (you could always reload and plan it better), battle.net PVP actually had their very own kind of "skill". Terms like "micro" and "macro" "apm" got into my gaming life - which would be indeed just like sports. You can train yourself to be better, or rather this is the major factor. Experience how to deal with stuff as you did in other games won't help much if you are a mouse user who denies key bindings. Then WoW came and to me this was a giant 100 into 50:50 into 1:99 in terms how you play the game and focus on the multiplayer content. In vanilla and maybe TBC you did well if you could tell others where to obtain item xy, how to do quest zk, or kill xx. You could also easily give hints about tactics - tactics with few mechanics, long preparation/reaction time that as soon as you got told you almost cannot fail anymore.
    This kind of knowledge got less and less valuable or rephrase it - it got common. With BWL/AQ40/Naxx people who had the RTS mindset of micro/macro completely dominated and with the following expansions it got just more extreme. TBC especially was blizzard doing anything to get WoW into eSports. And while we can talk about PVP not really getting through, PVE absolutely got on this path and determined the very game philosophy from then on. Balancing, tuning, less RNG that impacts on player "micro" "macro" was the design that remains even today - and this is the design the Vanilla-WoW people despise.

Coming to FF14 I was kinda annoyed by it tbh. I choose DK in WoD which had retarded restrictions to be competitive (unholy, sindragosa, best prepull timer 50sec+) and I picked survival hunter in Legion which was so fresh yet not fine designed that class fantasy alone could not even make up anything for the lack of competition (1:99). And I was annoyed by the lore of WoW - so many retcons (if you read my very early posts on this forum you know I hate WotlK because to me Arthas should have never be able to dominate Nerzhul), so many bad quests (MoP dominating this tbh) which you all had to do for your "campaign", retarded hub quests and very bad leveling system to get to the actual relevant "micro" "macro" - endgame. Every expansion ends itself - making it completely void. The story has almost no impact of whatever follows.... But these are things I realize when I leveled a new alt. What I did? Recruit a friend, multiboxing and doing all classes via dungeon-grind to max level on whatever new server my main was to endgame raid. Multiplayer content was the only thing in WoW Wotlk and continued that interested me. And it was to get as much classes and experience into endgame raiding as possible.

So I know what you seek. I know what you want. But - I don't want it any longer. :P I returned to single player RPGs taking breaks in WoW and had a blast. And the breaks got longer the more games I played and less friends played WoW. With Legion and the current token prices I completely stopped caring.

FF14 to me is like the RPG that evolves into a MMO, the game that continues and that has some not so serious players to tackle encounters.
    I was someone who cared for being 90 percentile on raids in WoW. Now I wouldn't even bother to look up how materia system works - I idle around with my gear showing all +0 materia cause I suck / do not care enough. In FF14 I am what I was in vanilla before old school tactics / know how became common. If you use my combat log tracker I see what I saw in early WoW days. It's enough to just be smart. I know there is like 10%+ potential if I would take it seriously but I don't want to. Because others allow to not do it - compared to the WoW raiding community - where it is common.

FF14 has the best story narrative in any MMORPG I played. The leveling system makes optional quests indeed optional. The story is the path and this creates great quality. I farm itemlevel not to compete but to see new story content.

I became old and I need the story to make me MMO. And I like this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Bleh gotta reinstall this since my system decided to either get malware or fuck up and I had to basically reinstall Windows. Gonna be fun doing the HUD layout again. -,-
    While I'm not privvy to your HUD configuration/layout, I much prefer dealing with that over having to the dozen or so mods I had to have in order to play WoW properly...not to mention getting all the unit frame plates done just right...urgh. Takes me just as long to do all that as it does to download and install the game. Easily a 4-5 hour endeavor. No mas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    While I'm not privvy to your HUD configuration/layout, I much prefer dealing with that over having to the dozen or so mods I had to have in order to play WoW properly...not to mention getting all the unit frame plates done just right...urgh. Takes me just as long to do all that as it does to download and install the game. Easily a 4-5 hour endeavor. No mas.
    I'm a bit OCD so everything has to be set up perfectly for me basically. If something is an inch too far off then I hate it.

Some friends and I got together to tackle POTD. We just did the 51-100 portions in one go so we're going to meet up again next week and see how far we get with the 100+ floors. Any tips are appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if you're 99/99, 101-150 is pretty easy.

151+ don't be dumb, lol. Pull one by one but kill fast. Careful on Anzu clones, don't group up they slam for high damage. Sasquatch clones, aoe passively one square radius. So careful not to have too many of em in adjacent tiles. Chimaeras, do chimaera things, don't die to ice / lightning, they one shot everyone but tanks. And even if you survive, being frozen or the lightning dot generally kills you anyways. Floor 180, use LB at 15% as he continually meteors.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-01-11 at 02:16 AM.

Day 3 of trying to get to ishgard

Just beat shiva

Will these story quests ever fucking end
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

Just beat shiva

you're almost done, shiva is from 2.4, last arr patch was 2.55

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Well, if you're 99/99, 101-150 is pretty easy.

151+ don't be dumb, lol. Pull one by one but kill fast. Careful on Anzu clones, don't group up they slam for high damage. Sasquatch clones, aoe passively one square radius. So careful not to have too many of em in adjacent tiles. Chimaeras, do chimaera things, don't die to ice / lightning, they one shot everyone but tanks. And even if you survive, being frozen or the lightning dot generally kills you anyways. Floor 180, use LB at 15% as he continually meteors.
    Thanks! I'll bear those tips in mind. We're aiming to at least hit 150 - though we'll obviously be super pleased if we hit 200.

Just beat shiva

Is it your first time tackling them? If so, embrace them - they'll give a lot of context to the Ishgard related stories and you don't have much further to go until you reach the expansion quests.

Oh no I like them but I'm getting sick of trying to get to 3.0

Deleted
    Oh no I like them but I'm getting sick of trying to get to 3.0
    The great thing is 3.0 is just a Patch. The story that you currently see will just continue exactly where you end it. Not like WoW - the story doesn't end or necessarily has this major peak at the end. So whatever you expect from the expansion - what you do now will directly lead to it fluidly And Shiva is especially tied to the things to come - the very concept of her summoning is.
    Last edited by mmocd6d7b58413; 2017-01-11 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I'm a bit OCD so everything has to be set up perfectly for me basically. If something is an inch too far off then I hate it.
    I also have a "need" to have everything "just the way I like it, so this list of data files helped me backup my favorite setup:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...er_data_files/

woo finally cleared a12s after struggling through the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaltione View Post
    I also have a "need" to have everything "just the way I like it, so this list of data files helped me backup my favorite setup:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...er_data_files/
    At least on the PC, the launcher now has backup/restore options for your configuration/layout.

Moenbryda NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

/crys in corner

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    woo finally cleared a12s after struggling through the holidays.
    Congratulations! Did you get the mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    At least on the PC, the launcher now has backup/restore options for your configuration/layout.
    You've been able to since very early on in games life if I remember right.

http://i.imgur.com/zGTEWgN.png

Like Khime said its right under Config in the launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Congratulations! Did you get the mount?
    nope. rolled a 12