Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I get where you are going with this. To answer your question I only play one at any given time. I will never level any of the Healers, none of the ranged DPS (BRD/MCH/BLM/SMN) and the aesthetics of MNK doesn't fit me. I don't even like DRG to be honest with you, but it was my only option that kinda fit back in 2.1. I leveled originally as a PLD (I have no issue tanking, I don't mind it), but it was the most boring and unfun experience I think I've ever dealt with. Once my friend/brother quit the game (roughly after clearing the 3 EX's and I think turn 2 (non-cheese)) I retired the PLD.

I was somewhat interested in NIN if only so I could let my Naruto weeb flag fly, but I don't typically jump on board with new classes when they get released to avoid the overflow. I never got around to leveling it because leveling alts in this game was downright terrible. I don't want to spam dungeons over and over (I know they have POTD now, they didn't then) and I wasn't about to do any more fates than the bare minimum because they're fucking boring.
    So... Naruto.... should I skip the whole dang thing and start with Shippuden or worth slogging through the original as well? I've understood you can figure out pretty quick when you're in a filler arc and can skip ahead. A panel at a convention that was drawing out the parallels between Naruto and Arthurian mythology was fascinating and I've been interested in weebing out on this one, but just....so....many....episodes.

I main NIN, but I can opt out of the weeb flag and go with western geekery with my lurv of ninja and swords starting with TMNT & Leonardo.

SAM has me pumped because I like the Iai style and I like swords. My brother was down to actually resub to play with my through the expac, just leveling no end game most likely, but when I mentioned he'd need to clear the years worth of content after 2.1, then the years worth of content from 3.0-3.5 he changed his mind. My IRL Healer friend did the exact same thing (and he's even a FFT fan and makes whole parties of WHM's for some weird reason). My other friend and his brother are open to giving the game a shot, but I don't suspect either will stick with it as they're not FF fans inherently and couldn't tell a decent story if it bit them in the face.

lol sorry for the rant.
    I have an alt that got to the end of 2.0 and stopped. I just wanted to get her a room in the FC house and design it and deck it out. I brought her back out to see about getting through Heavensward. I've click-skipped some quests, but once Yugiri came in, I went back to reading everything and watching all the cut scenes (and watching some for the voice acting to remember/compare). I played about 2 hours on a Sunday. This past weekend I played about 4 hours on Saturday and 3 hours on Sunday and I'm up to Snowcloak - quest 65/100.

My friend has been playing an alt through Heavensward and it's taken him maybe a week of off and on poking around to get to Bismark - quest 72/94 for 3.0 and there are only 40 quests in the post expansion content.

Sure, it's still a bit, but I don't feel like it's 100s of hours like some claim.
    Not sure if that's enough to help your friends push through.

Agreed that the point of 24 man is exactly that. I have no issues with that. I was merely stating that I typically like the aesthetics of the 24m armor/raids, but would have loved those fights in an 8 man format with some savage level challenge to supplement the existing challenge model.
    Based purely on the story, I feel like Alexander and Void Ark could have been swapped for 24 man vs 8 man. Diabolos and his schemes seemed more actively threatening than Alexander.

Agreed that the spread is solid. First Boss in labyrinth? The Green dragon? Wiping on that guy was so painful, because all you needed to do was not be an idiot about the skeletons. I don't remember Behemoth being an issue. Stand behind meteor profit. I don't remember anything in Syrcus being difficult at all, not even WoD.
    Yeah, the green dragon. It was just laughable that he was so easy when it first came out and wipes increased as people got stronger and wanted to just push everything.

Behemoth caused plenty of wipes early on. Dropping meteors in the wrong place, not downing adds, letting Iron Giant destroy towers. Again, it doesn't take long once mechanis are understood, but at the very start they messed people up.

Syrcus Tower was Amon, though Scylla caused trouble for some groups really early on when people were still figuring out how things interconnected on mechanics.

The giant eye caused the most problems in WoD, but I wouldn't say it was too hard and didn't take as long as others to get the majority of people on the track.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-02-28 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    So... Naruto.... should I skip the whole dang thing and start with Shippuden or worth slogging through the original as well? I've understood you can figure out pretty quick when you're in a filler arc and can skip ahead. A panel at a convention that was drawing out the parallels between Naruto and Arthurian mythology was fascinating and I've been interested in weebing out on this one, but just....so....many....episodes.
    I can't comment on the past 2 years of the show (got sick, stopped watching, haven't picked it back up yet - and the war they were involved in at that time... SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FILLERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR) I'd say start from the beginning. It would be easy enough to pick up at the start of Shippuden, but much of the original Naruto is worth watching. I would definitely say to look up a guide though, to know which episodes/arcs to skip. A few of the filler arcs are worth watching and help flesh out the story while others can be completely ignored.

I know the show gets a lot of hate, but some of it is actually really good, and kinda like FFXIV there is humor as well as a handful of gut punches along the way, some of which you can see coming but they still hurt, while others are right out of the blue. Asuma, Jiraiya, Naruto meeting Kushina to name a few...
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Is it bad to not pull multiple packs as a tank?

I don't really like speed-running/pulling multiple packs, but lately dps has been pulling additional packs for me. At least WoW segregates the "go-go-go" crowd into Mythic+, which are explicit speed runs. But in FFXIV this behavior seems prevalent in all the roulettes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    If your group (and you) are capable of handling multiple packs, you should pull more.
    Esp for us healers, the game gets much more entertaining that way.

If you are unsure whether you can maintain aggro: don't.

If people bitch, just tell them that you are still new.

Just pull what you feel comfortable with. If you don't think you can handle more than one pack, don't pull more than one. If you're confident you can pull all the trash from the enterance to the boss and AoE it down, then do it.

If your DPS think you're going too slow and start ninja pulling, just let them die. They get the message soon enough .

800 bloody poetics to finish my relic and not one que has popped in like 4 hours, being dps for this is suffering!

10+ Year Old Account
    *chuckles*
    Oh yes, it is.

It's payback for how big a PITA it is to get in an A1S light farm group as a tank or healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Awesome! Does it come with an aggro drop?

Lalafell is better. Butts up in the air!

10+ Year Old Account
    FC member said that last stage of AST weapon has pink glow, and now I have to do everything from step #1 to reach it.

Also miracle happened, boss actually dropped that 3.5 dungeon healer robe, I've whole set collected now! Too bad I already made another healer outfit. Laughed as we entered last boss room that now it'll drop since I was running as MCH - luckily group wasn't interested in it and passed straight away.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    FC member said that last stage of AST weapon has pink glow, and now I have to do everything from step #1 to reach it.

I main NIN, but I can opt out of the weeb flag and go with western geekery with my lurv of ninja and swords starting with TMNT & Leonardo.
    To be fair, I didn't start watching until like episode 200 of Shippuden. There's a lot of stuff that I missed or couldn't appreciate, but my brother generally helped fill the gaps. Even missing a lot of that I was still able to enjoy the series.

I have an alt that got to the end of 2.0 and stopped. I just wanted to get her a room in the FC house and design it and deck it out. I brought her back out to see about getting through Heavensward. I've click-skipped some quests, but once Yugiri came in, I went back to reading everything and watching all the cut scenes (and watching some for the voice acting to remember/compare). I played about 2 hours on a Sunday. This past weekend I played about 4 hours on Saturday and 3 hours on Sunday and I'm up to Snowcloak - quest 65/100.

My friend has been playing an alt through Heavensward and it's taken him maybe a week of off and on poking around to get to Bismark - quest 72/94 for 3.0 and there are only 40 quests in the post expansion content.

Sure, it's still a bit, but I don't feel like it's 100s of hours like some claim.
    Not sure if that's enough to help your friends push through.
    I will be referring them to you should they complain, be prepared to defend yourself!

Based purely on the story, I feel like Alexander and Void Ark could have been swapped for 24 man vs 8 man. Diabolos and his schemes seemed more actively threatening than Alexander.
    I was REALLY let down with Alexander. They dropped the ball on explaining just how dangerous he was. Compare it to Bahamut. We saw how dangerous he was. We're TOLD how dangerous Alexander is. One of these techniques is more impactful than the other.

I don't really like speed-running/pulling multiple packs, but lately dps has been pulling additional packs for me. At least WoW segregates the "go-go-go" crowd into Mythic+, which are explicit speed runs. But in FFXIV this behavior seems prevalent in all the roulettes.
    You should pull more if you can. It doesn't have to be crazy. In my experience 2 packs is usually enough to sate most DPS. It's just 1 by 1 is incredibly slow and boring for all parties involved and you have to take into account some people have run these things a hundred times, they just want their currency and get out.

The other issue is that dungeons are so freaking trivial that there's no reason NOT to pull more to get it over more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I will be referring them to you should they complain, be prepared to defend yourself!
    Samurai duel as sunset? O_O

I was REALLY let down with Alexander. They dropped the ball on explaining just how dangerous he was. Compare it to Bahamut. We saw how dangerous he was. We're TOLD how dangerous Alexander is. One of these techniques is more impactful than the other.
    Yeah, I wish they had something when Alexander was first activated that showed how powerful it is. I remember in FF IX I was stunned by the cut scene where Alexander thoroughly obliterates Bahamut (even though Alexander then gets devestated as well). Something like a section of the hinterlands or an extension of Idyllshire being present that Alexander wipes out when first activated, noting it was a fraction of its power, would have made it feel more "if this thing gets moving, we're screwed."

Being all about draining the aether from the planet and going through time made it too ephemeral to have the same weight as the dragon responsible for End of an Era.

Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post

Lalafell is better. Butts up in the air!
    Face down, butt up...that's the way potatos...mash...

I'll see myself out for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Face down, butt up...that's the way potatos...mash...

I'll see myself out for now.
    Don't you mean "that's the way potatos....DIE." O_O;

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I'm sure they'll die when Kazela mash them.

Oh, o...oh...OH... oh my. >_>

Well I suppose mashing them is one way to kill them...

- - - Updated - - -

Eek. I don't play with my food.

No eat lalafells! Bad! Bad Kazela!

10+ Year Old Account
    So, to lighten up the mood a bit, who did you go with this years event?