Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Has the curse been broken?!

Or is it merely to spring something worse upon you later?
    I mean, that very first boss was pretty curse worthy, but who knows! Now I'm going to give you a literal play by play recap every time I play, regardless of excitement. You brought this on yourself.

On the plus side, I play 4 hours a week, so... content should be light.

Translation/localization funsies.

Personal faves:

Aleport = Beer Haven
    Idyllshire = Happy Heap
    The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak = Thousand Holes of Toto-Rak (lewd o.o)
    The Weeping City of Mhach = The City of Tears (not a stretch, but oh so fitting)
    Deep Hive Ceiling Fan = Psychedelic Ravana Ceiling Fan

Edit: These particular ones are English to German.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2017-10-26 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Translation/localization funsies.

Personal faves:

Aleport = Beer Haven
    Idyllshire = Happy Heap
    The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak = Thousand Holes of Toto-Rak (lewd o.o)
    The Weeping City of Mhach = The City of Tears (not a stretch, but oh so fitting)
    Deep Hive Ceiling Fan = Psychedelic Ravana Ceiling Fan

Edit: These particular ones are English to German.
    Read that as Beer Heaven. Wineport should be Wine Haven. >.>

Sigh.

I cannot decide to which game I wanna sub to. Constantly bouncing between FF and WoW, I am finding these issues:

About WoW:
    -Fuck the legendary system. I don't want a character of mine feel they are not performing as well as they could, simply because they got destroyed in legendary rolls. I am not mad enough to go get all the legendaries, and I am an altoholic.
    -Don't really have any friend playing it anymore. Even one that had never stopped his sub ever, while raiding for years, declared that WoW is so trash currently, that it does not even deserve paying in-game gold for it.
    -Fuck the AP grinding. Although now, it's a very minor problem, since you can unlock your artifact on a new alt instantly and easily, I was driven away from the game not even a month into Legion with all that bullshit grind, and I know that since I want to play to raid, I will have to do it, and it's a simple, clear "no" from me at this point.
    -While the WoW classes are fun, I find them very... simple nowadays, and that's a good thing, don't get me wrong, but... I guess it's more of them being known to me than simple, and of course practice always makes the player better. It's just... the gameplay ain't too grand for me anymore, you know?
    -I don't wanna be hardcore anymore, and apparently, that's all WoW is to me. At least it has become to be over the ~6-8 years I've played it.

For FF:
    -I do not know the game. I've got a level 70 dps job, but I do not know the game and I honestly am scared, nevermind that my understanding of the classes is deep and thorough, and my level of play is up there, simply because of all the insight and practice I've had, and my performance based approach while playing.
    -With that said, I am not up for people getting emotional over a game, and that's a major no nowadays. And since I don't really wanna go hardcore...
    -I don't think it's worth to pay a subscription to be casual. I think I think so, at least.
    -I do not have a Free Company to join. I stopped my sub to the game, simply because I was looking for a FC for... more than a week, and couldn't find anything, although I believe that was because I was stunned by the UI on the Lodestone.
    -I do not have even acquaintances on FF. I play on Louisonix as it was a new server when I started playing. Did not get the EXP boost too xD.
    -I feel that the healing system and the healer's playstyle is way too numbed down, while loving the animations and sounds of it.
    -Lastly, I hate the delay on the UI, but I'm cool with it if I play the game, I guess.

I want to play, because I moved to a new country yesterday, and I'm very alone here, with little to do for the time being.

What I feel would be ideal was to play FF, by joining a FC that is cool, progressive in raiding, knowledgeable and patient with my lack of knowledge until I get to grips with the ins and outs of the game and feel comfortable joining them up for high-end progression. Oh, and also let me level up all the healers, because... I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Sigh.

I cannot decide to which game I wanna sub to. Constantly bouncing between FF and WoW, I am finding these issues:

About WoW:
    -Fuck the legendary system. I don't want a character of mine feel they are not performing as well as they could, simply because they got destroyed in legendary rolls. I am not mad enough to go get all the legendaries, and I am an altoholic.
    -Don't really have any friend playing it anymore. Even one that had never stopped his sub ever, while raiding for years, declared that WoW is so trash currently, that it does not even deserve paying in-game gold for it.
    -Fuck the AP grinding. Although now, it's a very minor problem, since you can unlock your artifact on a new alt instantly and easily, I was driven away from the game not even a month into Legion with all that bullshit grind, and I know that since I want to play to raid, I will have to do it, and it's a simple, clear "no" from me at this point.
    -While the WoW classes are fun, I find them very... simple nowadays, and that's a good thing, don't get me wrong, but... I guess it's more of them being known to me than simple, and of course practice always makes the player better. It's just... the gameplay ain't too grand for me anymore, you know?
    -I don't wanna be hardcore anymore, and apparently, that's all WoW is to me. At least it has become to be over the ~6-8 years I've played it.

For FF:
    -I do not know the game. I've got a level 70 dps job, but I do not know the game and I honestly am scared, nevermind that my understanding of the classes is deep and thorough, and my level of play is up there, simply because of all the insight and practice I've had, and my performance based approach while playing.
    -With that said, I am not up for people getting emotional over a game, and that's a major no nowadays. And since I don't really wanna go hardcore...
    -I don't think it's worth to pay a subscription to be casual. I think I think so, at least.
    -I do not have a Free Company to join. I stopped my sub to the game, simply because I was looking for a FC for... more than a week, and couldn't find anything, although I believe that was because I was stunned by the UI on the Lodestone.
    -I do not have even acquaintances on FF. I play on Louisonix as it was a new server when I started playing. Did not get the EXP boost too xD.
    -I feel that the healing system and the healer's playstyle is way too numbed down, while loving the animations and sounds of it.
    -Lastly, I hate the delay on the UI, but I'm cool with it if I play the game, I guess.

I want to play, because I moved to a new country yesterday, and I'm very alone here, with little to do for the time being.

What I feel would be ideal was to play FF, by joining a FC that is cool, progressive in raiding, knowledgeable and patient with my lack of knowledge until I get to grips with the ins and outs of the game and feel comfortable joining them up for high-end progression. Oh, and also let me level up all the healers, because... I have to.
    Good news:

1) If you're a good MMO gamer you can play this game casually and clear hard content via pugs or a static. I play (not raid, literally play) like 4 hours a week and get my clears. I'm still working on O4S the most recent raid final boss, but it's coming along.

2) You may not "like" healer gameplay, but trust me when I say that currently healers have the hardest jobs in high end content. Not even just healing, but maximizing your DPS, while healing, and learning good oGCD usage in every fight. IMO in pugs over 80%+ of failures are a result of a bad healer. Just my anecdotal .02.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I mean, that very first boss was pretty curse worthy, but who knows! Now I'm going to give you a literal play by play recap every time I play, regardless of excitement. You brought this on yourself.

On the plus side, I play 4 hours a week, so... content should be light.
    My FC ran last night.... that first boss needs to be nerfed hard. I don't know what the ability is called, but she apparently targeted me and triggered a Fatal Error in Direct X!!!

Other than that, everything was a smooth run. I agree with you, though, Trample is kind of a pain to avoid. At least consistently on ever cast. I envy ranged who can settle into one of the figure 8 holes. I always seem to be in the wrong place as I move for side/rear benefits.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-10-27 at 01:07 PM.

My FC ran last night.... that first boss needs to be nerfed hard. I don't know what the ability is called, but she apparently targeted me and triggered a Fatal Error in Direct X!!!

Other than that, everything was a smooth run. I agree with you, though, Trample is kind of a pain to avoid. At least consistently on ever cast. I envy ranged who can settle into one of the figure 8 holes. I always seem to be in the wrong place as I move for side/rear benefits.
    Ouch that sucks. Fortunately never had any crashes.

I did have their lovely "DDoS" attack packet loss last night though, along with everyone else. I wonder if it's really DDoS or if that's really a company's way of saying lol our shit fucked up, but absolve us of blame!

Play a tank and you never need to worry about positionals again!

We had a puggo tank last night for our shinryu farm shenanigans and despite having identical gear (we're both 340, fully DH melded) he was doing 600 dps less than me, and I was pulling (which with PLD/PLD means one of us gets fucked). I didn't care enough to research why he was doing so much less, but the quick thing was that he's really bad at uptime because he had 100+ less hits than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I wonder if it's really DDoS or if that's really a company's way of saying lol our shit fucked up, but absolve us of blame!
    I think they have some spit-and-baling-twine servers and any combination of Internet traffic jams, enduser hiccups and bored children with a botnet fucks them up. When the problem is severe enough they point the finger at DDoS, knowing anyone who says it's SE's fault will get gangbanged by the fanboys and ignored by those more indifferent to the problem. The only way to know for sure is to work there, and ultimately it's out of our hands anyways. But at my age I've become suspicious of what most people claim is the truth regardless, so...

Noticed the lag spikes too for all of about 5-10 minutes after I logged on, but that was around 10 PM EST, and from what I've gathered, that was happening for a while prior to my log on. Only thing I can say is that it wasn't specific to just Primal, which comes as no surprise seeing that Aether is located in the same physical datacenter. I don't think they really need to disclose anything as specific as DDoS, even if it is indeed the case, because when a specific cause is noted over and over, folks begin to wonder if they're crying wolf...

- - - Updated - - -

Ranged does have it better than melee, I'd think, but still have to pay attention to it. For melee, I would think the flanks would be the best place, since I know you can still be in melee range to attack. I've managed to be inside the loops formed by the figure 8, and from what I can recall, being able to melee from those points might not be feasible...but I'm generally casting an Aero spell of some kind or Stone IV from there, so what would I know?

I've gotten pretty good at avoiding the trample, but I'm also watching for the cast bar and know to move according based on how the boss is facing. The loops are always in front and behind in the direction he is facing when he begins the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Ranged does have it better than melee, I'd think, but still have to pay attention to it. For melee, I would think the flanks would be the best place, since I know you can still be in melee range to attack. I've managed to be inside the loops formed by the figure 8, and from what I can recall, being able to melee from those points might not be feasible...but I'm generally casting an Aero spell of some kind or Stone IV from there, so what would I know?

I've gotten pretty good at avoiding the trample, but I'm also watching for the cast bar and know to move according based on how the boss is facing. The loops are always in front and behind in the direction he is facing when he begins the cast.
    Definitely want to be on the flank, that makes it a lot easier. But my timing always seems to be when I move behind for an attack and then "oh noes, trample!" XD

Definitely want to be on the flank, that makes it a lot easier. But my timing always seems to be when I move behind for an attack and then "oh noes, trample!" XD
    Lol, yeah. I could see that going over real well for me if I'm ever in there on MNK. My luck I get hit by that and stunned just long enough to lose GL3...

The one "odd" thing I've noticed with Trample is it doesn't work like most AoEs in this game, where if you're in the indicator for it when it disappears, you get hit by it, no question asked. It seems to only hit you if the boss's hitbox actually reaches you. Of course, that's something a ranged player would notice. I've been in the blue field and had enough time to move (even after the field disappeared) so that when the boss passed by, I didn't get hit by the attack.

Yeah Trample doesn't work like old AoEs were when the cast timer finishes you get hit. Like you said as long as you don't get "physically" hit it doesn't do anything. I really hope its a sign of things to come in future in terms of mechanics. The easiest way to avoid it as a melee is to just stand in the inner circle.

I'm trying to decide which of the crafting jobs I should invest in. Any tips? Early on I'm only going to be concerned with investing in it for the sake of doing the Ixal/Moogle Beast Tribe quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I'm trying to decide which of the crafting jobs I should invest in. Any tips? Early on I'm only going to be concerned with investing in it for the sake of doing the Ixal/Moogle Beast Tribe quests.
    The Ixal quests can be kind of a nutbuster cos they gimp your crafting abilities to enforce challenge, if you're not an omnicrafter expect a lot of trouble, at least sub-50. I dunno what they're like post-50 cos by then I was done and doing Moogles. Maybe if you burn to cap on one job you can go back and breeze through the Ixali chain, but I can't say for sure. Anyways, if you only did one job, I'm guessing CUL would be the easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    The Ixal quests can be kind of a nutbuster cos they gimp your crafting abilities to enforce challenge, if you're not an omnicrafter expect a lot of trouble, at least sub-50. I dunno what they're like post-50 cos by then I was done and doing Moogles. Maybe if you burn to cap on one job you can go back and breeze through the Ixali chain, but I can't say for sure. Anyways, if you only did one job, I'm guessing CUL would be the easiest.
    Blergh. Guess I'll do some research then!

On another note, I just got chewed out in mentor roulette...in that guildhest with the goblins and barricades. I was a RDM and used scatter to kill the goblins behind the barricades before the barricades fell. It sped things up but it really irritated one of the other players for some strange reason.

Yeah, there are cross-class skills that are highly useful, though some might be obsoleted by post-60 skills now, so YMMV on what to level how far first. Again, you might try asking if anyone has done Ixali post-50 to see if you can just cheese it via overgearing, if all you want is the rep completion and not so much the XP for leveling.

Get all crafters to 15 before taking them the rest of the way up, so many great cross class skills at that point. If you're going to take one up first it should either be Carpenter or Culinarian as those have the best cross class skills for general crafting. Other than that, Use the Ixali and Moogle dailies to level as you get free mats so you don't have to spend money on the crafting.

10+ Year Old Account
    On another note, I just got chewed out in mentor roulette...in that guildhest with the goblins and barricades. I was a RDM and used scatter to kill the goblins behind the barricades before the barricades fell. It sped things up but it really irritated one of the other players for some strange reason.
    LoL. Guess you did more DPS than him and bruised his ego.

Maybe they just couldn't handle your extreme RDM dapper Graeham? :O

10+ Year Old Account
    its weird to even be mad at something like that in a guildhest....I only do the roulette at super low lvls because it gives like no exp