Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    For every single boss I sit in sword oath full time.
    Which DPS tends to have the best burst for nipping at the aggro heels in your opinion?

Back in 2.0 our BLM enjoyed triple flaring our friend as it was their first time playing a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Which DPS tends to have the best burst for nipping at the aggro heels in your opinion?

Back in 2.0 our BLM enjoyed triple flaring our friend as it was their first time playing a tank.
    Not Wreck, but in my experience, it's usually SAMs that ride threat the hardest, followed by BLM and MNK. The ones to watch out for when pulling, though, would be RDM; their damage is very spiky right at the start of a pull. SAM, BLM, and MNK are the ones I always see start to catch up to me whenever I'm tanking, but they are a diversion/lucid away from being fine, or if I have my friend co-tanking with me, I have him toss a shirk my way.

Ok, first up, I want to point out that I started just before Heavensward came out so I was late to leveling crafting. I eventually got my crafting up to 60 around 3.5. This meant that I didn't catch what crafting recipes were released when during Heavensward. All I knew was that Ironworks was released either 3.3 or 3.4.

So my first question is if Stormblood follows similar release of recipes to Heavensward, when do you think 2-star and 3-star crafting/gathering gear recipes will be released?

Secondly, what do you think will be the melding stratagy will be when the 2-star gear is released? Wait for 3-star battle gear to be released and meld for that or meld willy-nilly before then? Or guess what the 3-star stat requirements be (ie: based on the 2-star and 3-star stat requirements for level 60 gear, I estimated that 3-star could require 1600 Craftmanship and 1477 Control.)
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2017-09-19 at 06:26 PM.

Burst as in the opener? RDM/BRD/WHM by far. Post opener (i.e. over course of fight), typically SAM/WHM/MNK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    Ok, first up, I want to point out that I started just before Heavensward came out so I was late to leveling crafting. I eventually got my crafting up to 60 around 3.5. This meant that I didn't catch what crafting recipes were released when during Heavensward. All I knew was that Ironworks was released either 3.3 or 3.4.

So my first question is if Stormblood follows similar release of recipes to Heavensward, when do you think 2-star and 3-star crafting/gathering gear recipes will be released?

Secondly, what do you think will be the melding stratagy will be when the 2-star gear is released? Wait for 3-star battle gear to be released and meld for that or meld willy-nilly before then? Or guess what the 3-star stat requirements be (ie: based on the 2-star and 3-star stat requirements for level 60 gear, I estimated that 3-star could require 1600 Craftmanship and 1477 Control.)
    I'm from a similar situation; I was right at 50 on all crafts/gatherers when 3.3 hit, which introduced the Ironworks stuff.

There will likely be some sort of new crafting/gathering gear for 4.2, or maybe 4.2x (a subpatch a couple weeks after the raids have been out), but it'll be akin to what the Carbonweave stuff was in HW. 4.3 or 4.3x will likely see the SB equivalent of Ironworks show up, and pentamelding it out the wazoo will be needed for 4* stuff, but that stuff likely won't be out until this time next year.

As for what melding strategies to employ, it's anyone's guess, currently.

Friendly reminder that this is simply speculation on my part, based on the timetable that HW went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Not Wreck, but in my experience, it's usually SAMs that ride threat the hardest, followed by BLM and MNK. The ones to watch out for when pulling, though, would be RDM; their damage is very spiky right at the start of a pull. SAM, BLM, and MNK are the ones I always see start to catch up to me whenever I'm tanking, but they are a diversion/lucid away from being fine, or if I have my friend co-tanking with me, I have him toss a shirk my way.
    It's why if I ever play DPS RDM I make sure it's my friend that's the tank because fuck if I don't die right at the start otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It's why if I ever play DPS RDM I make sure it's my friend that's the tank because fuck if I don't die right at the start otherwise.
    Yep, it's either that, or I'm also with a friend who's been leveling WHM as I've leveled RDM, and I just mention on Discord something to the effect of "oops I'm tanking".

Pretty hilarious finding a need for slotting both diversion and lucid dreaming.

Playing FFIX HD on PS4 right now and it really makes me wish there were Black Waltz enemies in XIV, always loved their design as the even edgier BLM's
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

Herald of the Titans MrPaladinGuy's Avatar
    How does post Heavensward BLM play now ?
    8600K @ 4.8 | 1080 Strix | 16GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 SSD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS | Oculus Rift CV1

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    The QoL changes are good, not having to recast Enochian as long as you maintain stacks of Astral Fire/Umbral Ice is good. Having Umbral Hearts from Umbral Ice cut down on MP use means you can cast more kabooms, esp. once you get the trait that lets Flare be cast and not drain all your MP if you have any Umbral Hearts left. Combo that with Triplecast and the ability to convert HP to MP and you can AoE hard if you want to (Flare 1 consumes Umbral, Flare 2 consumes MP, convert HP to MP, Flare 3 consumes MP again). The 70 ability Foul is pretty sweet too.

Personally I wish it was a bit more streamlined to play like it does in PvP, but overall it works if you like that style of play.

Quite good, although I still get pissed when Astral/Umbral drop off for a fraction of a second and Enochian is gone with it.
    CD on Eno is down to 30s, so it isn't a big deal.

Speaking of PvP, I really like that most combos there only take up one button. I hope they implement that in PvE as well - it'll help cut down on button bloat and give them more space to add more abilities over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Speaking of PvP, I really like that most combos there only take up one button. I hope they implement that in PvE as well - it'll help cut down on button bloat and give them more space to add more abilities over time.
    Prolly coming in 5.0, is my guess.

It's what HW BLM should've been.

Maintaining Enochian is expotentially easier with how it was redone; coupled with the cd being cut down from 60 to 30 seconds and the fact you can "cheese" it by simply using Transpose, I only lose the buff if something weird happens (namely if I have a spell "hit" just as a mob goes invuln or jumps away).

It's still very much a turret, though, but it has received help in that regard with Between the Lines and Triplecast, not to mention the recent patch where Fire 4's base cast time was bumped down from 3 to 2.8 seconds; on the surface, that may sound trivial, but it makes performing a 6x Fire 4 cycle (when using Blizzard 4 for Umbral Hearts) much easier. Speaking of which...the improved Umbral Heart trait at 68 makes AoE way more fun since you get to drop more Flares. Oh, and then there's Foul, which is an absolute blast (literally and figuratively).

Despite the mobility and utility advantage that RDM has brought, I've been super happy sticking with BLM as my main dps job.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    When I've tanked for my EX runs and I get 2 RDMs or 1 RDM/ 1 BLM, that's always when the two mages are most likely to open up with everything they got on different mobs. X3

- - - Updated - - -

I actually find the PvP (corrected: )1, 1, > 2, 2 > 3, 3 on Samurai the absolute most boring thing I've ever played. I'd rather see more of the Ninjutsu mudra where x buttons in different orders result in different combos.

You take 5 buttons and you can actually have like 25 combos from just those buttons based on order if you wanted to be utterly insane.
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    1, 3, 4, 5, 2
    2, 3, 4, 5, 1
    4, 5, 2, 3, 1

On and on an on.

Heck, even just 3 abilities that trigger different combo conclusions based on order gives a lot of options.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-09-20 at 03:50 PM.

Given how my ability bars on level 70 jobs have nearly as many buttons as they did at 60, that's likely the way they'll go about freeing up buttons further. I do wonder how they'll handle positional abilities for melee with that, though.

- - - Updated - - -

When I've tanked for my EX runs and I get 2 RDMs or 1 RDM/ 1 BLM, that's always when the two mages are most likely to open up with everything they got on different mobs. X3

- - - Updated - - -

I actually find the PvP 1, 1, 1 > 2, 2, 2 > 3, 3, 3 on Samurai the absolute most boring thing I've ever played. I'd rather see more of the Ninjutsu mudra where x buttons in different orders result in different combos.

You take 5 buttons and you can actually have like 25 combos from just those buttons based on order if you wanted to be utterly insane.
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    1, 3, 4, 5, 2
    2, 3, 4, 5, 1
    4, 5, 2, 3, 1

On and on an on.

Heck, even just 3 abilities that trigger different combo conclusions based on order gives a lot of options.
    5 button mudra combos? You madman!

It'd only lead to people bitching about how hitting all those different buttons to form one combo clips their gcd too much, among a host of other complaints.

I have not played SAM in pvp, though, so I was not aware it was that...bland. I've mostly been playing healers as of late in pvp, though, but I did spend my initial pvp experiences as BRD, which I'd say is a better example of how the pvp combos could work:

1 alternates Heavy/Straight Shot (as to why it simply isn't Heavy Shot, I don't recall)
    2 is your 2 DoTs;
    3 is Empyreal Arrow, (pretty sure I murdered that spelling)
    4 is Bloodletter by default. However, activating Wanderer's Minuet switches this button to Pitch Perfect, which builds a stack each time you hit a target that has your DoTs on it. Once WM ends, the button reverts to Bloodletter...but wait, there's more! The WM button swaps to Army Paeon; this song changes BL into Barrage, which works largely the same as it does in PVE, only it's on a far shorter cd here and it's a big part of your burst.

That's pretty much pvp BRD in a nutshell, which I think keeps the essence of it's pve counterpart, but it's a lot more pared down. Would I want pve BRD narrowed down this much? No, not really, although BRD (in pve) is one of the bigger button bloat offenders at this point. But holy crap, once you get in a rhythm with it (pun intended), current BRD in pve is so much fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    5 button mudra combos? You madman!
    Hehe, I'm not suggesting mudras go to 5, just the mudra concept of different orders lead to different combo finishers applied to standard job rotations.

And combo I described isn't the ONLY thing in PvP for Samurai, but that's how you get your 3 stacks to hit your strong combo (Midare Setsugekka), so you use it a lot.

I also made a mistake. It's 1,1 > 2, 2 > 3,3 I had an extra button press on each one in my previous post.

Hehe, I'm not suggesting mudras go to 5, just the mudra concept of different orders lead to different combo finishers applied to standard job rotations.

And combo I described isn't the ONLY thing in PvP for Samurai, but that's how you get your 3 stacks to hit your strong combo (Midare Setsugekka), so you use it a lot.

I also made a mistake. It's 1,1 > 2, 2 > 3,3 I had an extra button press on each one in my previous post.
    Ok, I follow you now. The tanks work in a loosely similar way for pvp. PLD has 2 combos, both starting with Fast Blade, so by default you'll see 1 and 2 both set to Fast Blade. Doesn't matter which one you hit, really; 1 will go from Fast to Savage Blade, while 2 would turn to Riot Blade. So if you hit 1 for Fast Blade, but decided you wanted to do the Riot > Royal Authority combo instead, you can go 1 > 2 > 2 and it'll work just fine. Same applies for 2 > 1 > 1.

Having such mix and match combo possiblities for GCD-based actions could be pretty cool. It would be a way they could (re)introduce some complexity to the combat without adding to button bloat.

I actually find the PvP (corrected: )1, 1, > 2, 2 > 3, 3 on Samurai the absolute most boring thing I've ever played.
    1 -> 2 -> 3 is just as lame and boring as 1 -> 1 -> 1. It only takes up more keybinds.
    I rather have fewer abilities that are more powerful and more punishing if I mess up that a gazillion which individually do almost nothing.