Maybe but I find the memorization really tiresome. Esp when there is a CD involved.
    Not really a fan of how the Ninja mudras are done.

I definitely would not want that for core class abilities.

What Faroth is pitching is something they could absolutely go to in the future, in order to prevent button bloat. That would then invite the possible problem of having too many different combos of buttons to hit. It wouldn't be NIN Mudras per se where it's "hit a combination of these 3 buttons, then hit button 4 to actually do something", though. Basically, a middle ground between what we have in pve now and what we have with pvp. Wouldn't wanted it as pared down as pvp is, but they'll have to do something to prevent further button bloat else it's HW all over again.

Yeah, it's not really hugely different from now.

Example: two tank combos:
    1, 2, 3 = three attacks in a threat combo
    1, 4, 5 = three attacks in a damage combo

I'm saying that could become
    1, 2, 3 = three attacks for a threat combo
    3, 2, 1 = three attacks for a damage combo

You could also have a different order of 3 attacks apply a debuff.

So we've got 3 buttons, three abilities. But the order changes the end result.

It could be implemented as we've seen elsewhere with pushing a button changes the button to a new ability. You just have 3 base buttons and when you push one, they'll change to others so you can weave different combos from a small number of hotkeys. You'd also be able to get abilities without button bloat, but also without feeling like leveling rewards no new skills.

I'm just not a fan of the combos being "1 key changes 5 times and you press the same button over and over and over and that's the entirety of combat" designs.

Technically if you had the right timing, you just control moving and have one of those water dipping birds hit your hot key and you never have to bother with combat at all.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-09-21 at 02:31 PM.

4.1 preview page is up. Also a MSQ preview and dungeon preview.

Haven't had time to delve into them just yet...

I'm so anxious about getting a house in Shirogane.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I'm so anxious about getting a house in Shirogane.
    Good luck with that. No, really.

I'm almost tempted to take the day off work just to run around in the wards and soak up the rage induced tears. Maybe even fuck with people by running up to the plot signs as if I'm about to buy them, even though I'm not. I know, I'm a terrible human being.

Hmmm... as a mod, can I change user names... "EbilKazela"

"Adventurer squadrons".

Ugh God, not Garrison mission tables again. What is it with people and their facebook games? >.<

Raid looks interesting though. Guess we get to kick the ass of a theater crew in simulated battle or sth like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Yeah, it's not really hugely different from now.

Example: two tank combos:
    1, 2, 3 = three attacks in a threat combo
    1, 4, 5 = three attacks in a damage combo

I'm saying that could become
    1, 2, 3 = three attacks for a threat combo
    3, 2, 1 = three attacks for a damage combo

You could also have a different order of 3 attacks apply a debuff.

So we've got 3 buttons, three abilities. But the order changes the end result.

It could be implemented as we've seen elsewhere with pushing a button changes the button to a new ability. You just have 3 base buttons and when you push one, they'll change to others so you can weave different combos from a small number of hotkeys. You'd also be able to get abilities without button bloat, but also without feeling like leveling rewards no new skills.

I'm just not a fan of the combos being "1 key changes 5 times and you press the same button over and over and over and that's the entirety of combat" designs.

Technically if you had the right timing, you just control moving and have one of those water dipping birds hit your hot key and you never have to bother with combat at all.
    What you're talking about sounds almost identical to the Warden class in Lord of the Rings Online and its Gambit system. The idea is that they have core abilities they attack with and each ability corresponds to a different color, and each attack fills up a bar, in the order you perform the attack. Attacks are Red, Green or Yellow, with red being associated with straight damage, green being associated with defense and yellow being a potency increase or buffing type modifier and as you gain levels the bar grows from 3 to 5 spaces maximum and Gambit abilities require a minimum of 2. Like FFXIV Ninjas, after performing your core attacks you press another button that then activates the bar and executes the ability that corresponds to the combination currently in the bar. So the core game play of the Warden is to use the appropriate base attacks in the right sequence to activate the right Gambit ability to maximize your performance, as the Warden can be played as a Melee Tank, a Melee DPS or a Ranged DPS ON THE FLY depending on which abilities you use and which Gambits you favor/ prioritize.

Here's a wiki page with the abilities listed

I loved that gameplay because it was so flexible and made soloing so rewarding. It's very similar to a Samurai and Ninja combination, but not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    "Adventurer squadrons".

Ugh God, not Garrison mission tables again. What is it with people and their facebook games? >.<
    Unless they have a tangible benefit like being used in dungeons or the like, all I'll do is level them with daily training things and then go right back to forgetting they exist. I'm like you, it's just some pointless calculator bullshit I had to endure for my GC rank.

I remember they had talked about a FFXII-esque gambit system being evaluated and how it could be implemented. I assumed we'd be able to do solo dungeons with our squadrons at some point. Shame if this is just sending them on more missions like we basically already have.

Only nice thing about the squadrons is when you get them to roll bonuses that net you nice things like MGP, gatherer/crafter scripts, or gatherer/crafter materia; I've made roughly 100k MGP from my squadron over the past year...maybe more than that, actually. Piles of scrips, and the materia sells for a nice chunk as well. It's a bit tedious to get set up and going, but once it's done, it's literally 30 seconds a day spent. Meanwhile, I can vividly remember spending nearly a hour a day on garrison followers...I'll stop there with that topic.

You know what will be hilarious about squadron members being brought into dungeons? They'd probably be better than quite a lot of players.

More seriously, though, I'm not too keen on the idea of being able to lean on NPC's instead of other players for PvE content. I like the social interaction that comes with engaging other players. Though I suppose these days most people are just quiet anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    You know what will be hilarious about squadron members being brought into dungeons? They'd probably be better than quite a lot of players.

More seriously, though, I'm not too keen on the idea of being able to lean on NPC's instead of other players for PvE content. I like the social interaction that comes with engaging other players. Though I suppose these days most people are just quiet anyway...
    I'd be interested in seeing it if it were more a separate avenue rather than "run EX with your squad for tomestones" option. What, exactly, Squadron dungeon runs would lead to, reward-wise, I'm not sure, but I'd like them to be a new side category of stuff to do.

I assumed that squadron dungeons would be just you sending your squad to a named dungeon instead of sending them on missions. Maybe allow them to get gear from said dungeon and change their looks or stats. I don't think you would actually play alongside them.

Some sort of Final Fantasy Tactics style mini-game for Squadron members would be neat.

I hope we get another batch of potential recruits, too. There's only a couple that really appeal to me at the moment.

Right now I get GW1 vibes from the idea; you could run a significant portion of the content in that game using AI controlled NPCs as party members. It was only near the very end of the original GW1 story quests that their limitations became glaringly obvious (I believe you couldn't instruct them to stay put at a certain spot, for example). Later on, Arenanet made significant improvements to the AI and UI for managing those NPCs.

Unrelated note: FFXIV Census has a new batch of (unofficial) census numbers. Looking at this at face value, the free transfers, at least for NA realms, look to have been a huge success. Balmung actually still gained some numbers due to returning players, yet it's one of the two that people were allowed to flock from for free, and the original 4 recommended realms more than doubled in pop over the span of 3 months. Several other servers are starting to approach Gilgamesh in terms of population, though...so will those end up with the congested label, or could Greg manage to shed that label instead? Stay tuned for the next episode of...some random update on Lodestone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Right now I get GW1 vibes from the idea; you could run a significant portion of the content in that game using AI controlled NPCs as party members. It was only near the very end of the original GW1 story quests that their limitations became glaringly obvious (I believe you couldn't instruct them to stay put at a certain spot, for example). Later on, Arenanet made significant improvements to the AI and UI for managing those NPCs.
    Once they added Heroes and the ability to both group and individual flag AI party members, GW was night-and-day different. Things that had been a PITA to do in a group became faceroll easy when solo, though some of that was due to power creep as well. If I could take NPC's into POTD I would never group with another person again that wasn't a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Once they added Heroes and the ability to both group and individual flag AI party members, GW was night-and-day different. Things that had been a PITA to do in a group became faceroll easy when solo, though some of that was due to power creep as well. If I could take NPC's into POTD I would never group with another person again that wasn't a friend.
    The only reasons I'll ever go back to PotD now would be to have at least a 1-100 solo clear (which RDM pretty much trivializes) and to go with friends to push for 200 (which I only had one group of us do that during HW). Having every combat job at 60+ now has it's benefits, one of which being no more need to level via PotD. I mean, I could...but my current strat is to level my remaining jobs via pvp while simultaneously farming light for their animas. Currently on SCH, with MCH, DRG and NIN the only ones that would be left...oh, and SAM, but I'll run with friends who are leveling tanks/healers and slice 'n dice for them in roulettes.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I assumed that squadron dungeons would be just you sending your squad to a named dungeon instead of sending them on missions. Maybe allow them to get gear from said dungeon and change their looks or stats. I don't think you would actually play alongside them.
    We do know you'll be able to glamour your squadron. So...dismiss your current roster and build up your waifu/husbando harem if you wish!

My friend, unintentionally, realized he has a majority lalafell squadron.