10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Piece of advice?
    Avoid the low end / budget stuff and go into the higher end Tier. Just not highest end (like socket 2011 back in the day), b/c then you pay the RnD idiot tax.
    To be fair, there was a point in time that the LGA2011 made more sense. Basically I bought my current CPU/MoBo set up at that point. Skylake came out, the 6700k was going for $400 inflated retail price and my old MoBo gave me the finger. The 5820k was going for $350 and MoBo about $180 iirc. So I ended up with a 6c/12t instead of 4c/8t CPU. IPC difference is negligible (4-5% average) and clock speed differences (400MHz max OC to max OC, which I don't bother anyways) weren't that much of a concern. End result was a bit cheaper set up with more cores and PCI-e lanes to play with.
    It was one of those weird moments though where the HEDT platform was cheaper.

That was 4 years ago though, so nowadays it's different.
    A R5 1600 or i5 8400 are decent mid range CPUs, can't really go wrong with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Piece of advice?
    Avoid the low end / budget stuff and go into the higher end Tier. Just not highest end (like socket 2011 back in the day), b/c then you pay the RnD idiot tax.
    To be honest as long as the new pc can run this on DX11 I'm happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Lucky you. :O
    I built my system (3570K) in early 2012, when Ivy was still warm.
    All I needed was a new GPU a year ago and, barring magic smoke appearing, I will continue to use the system OC'd to 4.6 till 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The Goblet seems to be the least popular location on pretty much every server - even after the housing district received a revamp.

I'll be honest, though. I dislike Ul'dah in general - I feel like it received far too much focus compared to Limsa and Gridania.
    i just want a medium house at this point in all honesty ^^'
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordin Solus View Post
    i just want a medium house at this point in all honesty ^^'
    Relocated to one in Goblet. It's just below the couple of houses as you enter the Goblet, go up the stairs and turn right. Kind of in it's own place which I like.

I'm broke as hell though from buying it but so worth it. Can just go farm and sell Fiend Saps if I need gil anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    To be honest as long as the new pc can run this on DX11 I'm happy.
    My 4-5 year old 4790k is still chewing this game up and spitting it out...although it’s also greatly aided by a 1080 Ti. Barring any hardware failures, I should be good even through the next xpac for this game.

Not to mention prices on some hardware as of late have been ridiculous...I’m looking at you, RAM. But if stuff breaks or isn’t up to snuff anymore, not much of a choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was 1 sticker away from 3 lines, the 3 line consecutive WT dream is dead.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    My 4-5 year old 4790k is still chewing this game up and spitting it out...although it’s also greatly aided by a 1080 Ti. Barring any hardware failures, I should be good even through the next xpac for this game.

Not to mention prices on some hardware as of late have been ridiculous...I’m looking at you, RAM. But if stuff breaks or isn’t up to snuff anymore, not much of a choice.
    My issue is I'm kind of forced onto the DX9 client. As I said from what I read it seems to be an unavoidable issue with some FX chips from AMD. I mean I'm glad I don't have the major issues anymore but alt tabbing in and out is a pain in the ass and some zones are a bit of an FPS hit. Fringes is a prime example. Stare at the wall at night it just dips to 40.

If I'd known this beforehand I wouldn't have picked a bloody FX chip .

I'm stuck with this pc until at least after 4.3 and before 4.4. I have the money to do so now but I like to strictly budget myself and put money aside monthly. Kind of a discipline thing.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-02-18 at 08:17 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, there was a point in time that the LGA2011 made more sense. Basically I bought my current CPU/MoBo set up at that point. Skylake came out, the 6700k was going for $400 inflated retail price and my old MoBo gave me the finger. The 5820k was going for $350 and MoBo about $180 iirc. So I ended up with a 6c/12t instead of 4c/8t CPU. IPC difference is negligible (4-5% average) and clock speed differences (400MHz max OC to max OC, which I don't bother anyways) weren't that much of a concern. End result was a bit cheaper set up with more cores and PCI-e lanes to play with.

That was 4 years ago though, so nowadays it's different.
    A R5 1600 or i5 8400 are decent mid range CPUs, can't really go wrong with either.
    Indeed, had a couple i5's before my current Ryzen 5 1600. Haven't been disappointed with any of them.
    Thread: Ranged vs Melee which is easier in PvE?
    'Originally Posted by Thelxi'
    Dragon farts stink so ranged

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manthis View Post
    Indeed, had a couple i5's before my current Ryzen 5 1600. Haven't been disappointed with any of them.
    Yeah my first gen i5 and third gen i5 (which is still in use) both ran ffxiv well.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Guess I'll give Intel a bash judging by the responses in this thread. Probably just get a previous gen I5 or a current gen I3 since they should be cheap. I don't need nothing high spec just something to run this and a few other games that are less demanding.

...and Byakko (EX) is down!

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I'm glad I don't have the major issues anymore but alt tabbing in and out is a pain in the ass
    Indeed, which is why I got used to playing in windowed mode many, many years ago.
    makes it so much easier to fluently go in and out of games.

Oftentimes I have FF-XIV running as a "desktop wallpaper" for half the day while doing other stuff.
    @Graeham: grats!
    Last edited by Granyala; 2018-02-19 at 04:24 PM.

My issue is I'm kind of forced onto the DX9 client. As I said from what I read it seems to be an unavoidable issue with some FX chips from AMD. I mean I'm glad I don't have the major issues anymore but alt tabbing in and out is a pain in the ass and some zones are a bit of an FPS hit. Fringes is a prime example. Stare at the wall at night it just dips to 40.

If I'd known this beforehand I wouldn't have picked a bloody FX chip .

I'm stuck with this pc until at least after 4.3 and before 4.4. I have the money to do so now but I like to strictly budget myself and put money aside monthly. Kind of a discipline thing.
    Reminds me of eons ago, when I heeded the advice of a friend and went with a Prescott P4 over an Athlon 64. Was upgrading from an Athlon XP system that was 4ish years old at the time. Ended up replacing that box with a laptop 2 years later that ran circles around the Prescott machine and managed to overheat even less...was still a bit miffed about that box, though with how poor it ended up running as it aged and continued to cook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can confirm, my R5 1600 (@3.7ghz) runs FFXIV and WoW like a champ at 1440p.

I will be swapping that one out for the upcoming Ryzen refresh though.

And today's round of Hunt Bills leaves me with 945 Aetheryte Tickets stored, so I think I'm good for now. Reckon I'll just collect those new emotes next while waiting to see if Eureka turns out to be something worth my time or not.

Nice, congrats!

Deleted
    about time

Thanks.

I would have gotten it done sooner, but playing RDM as my main makes it difficult to find 'no dupes' parties. Monster Hunter World has also been a huge distraction. >_<

to me o7s is being the current pain in pugs since every1 freaks out after virus...
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.