1. #39941
    Pandaren Monk The Casualty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,968
    Outside of kicking people who logged out of the game and clearly aren't coming back, I have rarely ever seen people get kicked.

    I can think of only 2 in recent memory. One was one of the healers in Rabanastre who made it abundantly clear after being dead weight from the beginning all the way through Hashmal where they died 7-8 times that they were just not interested in putting in any effort, and the other one was a WHM in Skalla who was just being a jerk. I shrugged off their insults to my tanking (but I have no idea where he thinks I was losing aggro to his SO who was a NIN doing ~1000 DPS on AOE - personally I think they were just standing in shit), but he starting flinging insults at the other DPS that I brought after we wiped to the final boss because he insisted the center of the room proximity AoE was just a stack mechanic. So naturally he died ~20 seconds into the fight and threw a fit.

    I think the only time before that was some time in the middle of Heavensward. Really, as long as you can halfway do your job outside of the harder content and keep either silent or have a good demeanor, you aren't going to get kicked. And I've seen RDMs in Main Scenario use ONLY Scatter - literally, for the entire dungeon - and as long as they weren't dying to other shit, w/e. I mean it's all giant pulls anyways and the bosses melt fast enough with only a few people trying.

    edit:

    Now I do remember seeing the thread on the official forums, and I think they since closed off their FFlogs, but this was the PLD who was doing 9th percentile on Shinryu. While I sincerely doubt that they were kicked from Hunts, I can completely understand a group expecting better performance in Shinryu. They must have been only beating people who were dead large segments of the fight.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2017-11-18 at 01:20 AM.

  2. #39942
    Over 9000! Graeham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    9,880
    FFXIV's official forums are a wild ride at times. I've seen people permanently banned for posts that really didn't deserve to be treated so harshly...and a lot of people posting there have a strong allergy to the approach of agreeing to disagree. I've even had to report someone for hurling death threats my way in-game because they accused me of hijacking the lore forum to create a cult praising Garlemald.


  3. #39943
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,604
    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    Outside of kicking people who logged out of the game and clearly aren't coming back, I have rarely ever seen people get kicked.
    I got kicked recently because I rezzed a healer from another group (both healers of that group were down, so in my book they had the highest priority) on the second boss in Rabanastre while our own second healer was down. Incoming damage was fairly minimal, so I didn't notice it straight away because I was too focused on other things.

    Naturally people started calling me an idiot immediately, when I told them that they have to wait for another swiftcast b/c there was 0 chance of getting a 10s cast through they apparently started raging.

    For the record: If people were to stand correctly and grouped up, I could easily solo heal that boss.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    because he insisted the center of the room proximity AoE was just a stack mechanic.
    Lol. Some people can only learn through pain, I guess.

  4. #39944
    Pandaren Monk The Casualty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    accused me of hijacking the lore forum to create a cult praising Garlemald.
    I wish you had.

  5. #39945
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    FFXIV's official forums are a wild ride at times. I've seen people permanently banned for posts that really didn't deserve to be treated so harshly...and a lot of people posting there have a strong allergy to the approach of agreeing to disagree. I've even had to report someone for hurling death threats my way in-game because they accused me of hijacking the lore forum to create a cult praising Garlemald.

    Do what? I’d love to see a screenshot of that if you have it (the death threat). Just as a daily reminder that people are stupid. Names not needed; I don’t have the time nor ever care to witch hunt.

  6. #39946
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoco
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I got kicked recently because I rezzed a healer from another group (both healers of that group were down, so in my book they had the highest priority) on the second boss in Rabanastre while our own second healer was down. Incoming damage was fairly minimal, so I didn't notice it straight away because I was too focused on other things.

    Naturally people started calling me an idiot immediately, when I told them that they have to wait for another swiftcast b/c there was 0 chance of getting a 10s cast through they apparently started raging.

    For the record: If people were to stand correctly and grouped up, I could easily solo heal that boss.
    As someone that's had to hardcast a res to get my other healer up, /facepalm.

  7. #39947
    Over 9000! Graeham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    9,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Do what? I’d love to see a screenshot of that if you have it (the death threat). Just as a daily reminder that people are stupid. Names not needed; I don’t have the time nor ever care to witch hunt.
    Alas, most of my screenshots are on my old PC. I was dumb and didn't transfer over my screenshots or anything else when I got a new PC a few months ago so I had to set everything up from scratch which was painful.

  8. #39948
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    As someone that's had to hardcast a res to get my other healer up, /facepalm.
    I still don't see how I can stand around and cast for 10s w/o being forced to either move or rescue some idiots butt that failed to move.

  9. #39949
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoco
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I still don't see how I can stand around and cast for 10s w/o being forced to either move or rescue some idiots butt that failed to move.
    The fairy does things. Fairryyyyyy
    Granted it's not a guaranteed hardcast but hey it happens once in a while.

  10. #39950
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The fairy does things. Fairryyyyyy
    Darn cheaters :<

  11. #39951
    Over 9000! Graeham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    9,880
    Ugh.

    Some mentors really are jerks - signing up to the mentor roulette and then leaving if they get something even remotely difficult.

    Granted, I do prefer it when I get something easy like a guildhest through it but last night I ended up with Thornmarch (EX) and a tank, DPS and healer immediately left. I felt bad for those who remained so although I signed up as a RDM I said I'd leave and rejoin. I came back as a PLD, we got another healer and DPS and then after a wipe we managed to get it down.

    They really should add a longer penalty for leaving a mentor roulette immediately, though.

  12. #39952
    The whole mentor roulette mount reward thing remains pretty controversial, and I don't know what SE could ever do about it that's not going to send a flood of tears flying out of the playerbase. They can't eliminate the mount, and making it easier to get weakens the roulette and to some extent the mount's value. However, it does incentivize the highly selfish behavior evinced by those who ditch out the second they get something that, as you say, is even remotely difficult.

    Increasing the Deserter debuff could work, but how far can you push that before it starts to negatively impact what mentors are supposed to provide? I guess only SE has the numbers, and as long as those numbers don't suggest otherwise, making the mount reward easier or penalizing leavers harder isn't in the cards. But SE has of course proven itself to be just as fallible as the rest of us.

  13. #39953
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Alas, most of my screenshots are on my old PC. I was dumb and didn't transfer over my screenshots or anything else when I got a new PC a few months ago so I had to set everything up from scratch which was painful.
    All the reason I make a backup onto an external drive of all documents/data/etc.

    I don't keep a bunch of games installed for that reason too; even if I were to have them on another drive, takes forever to copy them back over.

    Besides, I generally only play 1-2 games at a time, maaaaaybe 3 if I'm feeling frisky. Kinda got into a habit of that thanks to the days of much smaller SSD drive capacity.

  14. #39954
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    All the reason I make a backup onto an external drive of all documents/data/etc.
    I prefer double redundancy when it comes to backups.
    I mirror my data to a second internal drive and then upload that copy into the cloud as off-site backup.

    Sync is initiated manually, so whenever I screw up I can restore from the other drive immediately.

  15. #39955
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I prefer double redundancy when it comes to backups.
    I mirror my data to a second internal drive and then upload that copy into the cloud as off-site backup.

    Sync is initiated manually, so whenever I screw up I can restore from the other drive immediately.
    I'm too paranoid to do cloud backups.

    I have 2 externals for back up in addition to the copy that resides on the internal HDD I have (the latter of which frees up my SSD to be nothing but OS + software).

  16. #39956
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I think that OP there is partially blowing smoke up folk's ass because I've never seen someone booted from a hunt party because of their dps. Only time I've seen or done that was if they went afk and didn't respond when asked if they were back or whatever.
    I agree. I just cannot believe the OP's story. It just doesn't make sense outside of Shinryu. The only way it could/would make sense is if they were just afk leeching (bare minimum like only hitting a few abilities then idling) and someone got mad, in which case they deserve it.

    They also mention that it happens frequently and "only" to them. You know my adage, there's a clear common denominator there and it isn't "elitists" or "pro-log asshats".

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Same applies to dungeons, honestly; the only time I've ever seen another player give someone shit in a random DF group was maybe 8 months ago, when my friend and I ran an expert roulette and we had a DRG who just started raging at my friend (also a DRG) about dps and "go read the guide" became a running joke between us, because I think that's about the full extent of that guy's vocabulary. Considering my friend was 200-300 dps behind while in ilvl 250ish gear at the time (he had just started playing again after several months away for school) against an ilvl 270 DRG...we just laughed it off.
    One major downside to ACT is its semi-complicated setup. This ends up with people who THINK they have good data, but don't understand what they're reading. He could be reading one pull and seeing your friends DPS is low, or one boss, but on overall he's doing double the total damage, etc.

    I've seen and been kicked from dungeons before (more than WoW actually, but that's because the type of dungeons I do, kicking someone is incredibly counterproductive to all parties involved).

    It's still rareish, but usually because I get vocal (as nicely as possible) about the SAM who isn't AOEing, or the zDPS healer, even worse when it is a WHM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I won't go beyond that, though, since I've still gotta clear Shin EX myself. I've got all of maybe a dozen attempts on it, with a fair portion of them being ruined due to DDoS last weekend, weeee.
    This DDoS shit is pretty annoying for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    Outside of kicking people who logged out of the game and clearly aren't coming back, I have rarely ever seen people get kicked.
    My experience echo's this. I've seen kicks in DF content, they're not super rare, but they aren't common either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I got kicked recently because I rezzed a healer from another group (both healers of that group were down, so in my book they had the highest priority) on the second boss in Rabanastre while our own second healer was down. Incoming damage was fairly minimal, so I didn't notice it straight away because I was too focused on other things.

    Naturally people started calling me an idiot immediately, when I told them that they have to wait for another swiftcast b/c there was 0 chance of getting a 10s cast through they apparently started raging.

    For the record: If people were to stand correctly and grouped up, I could easily solo heal that boss.
    2 Questions:

    1) Do your AOE heals hit other alliance members or strictly PT members?

    2) I genuinely don't understand the rage in your example. Your party was mad you raised another alliance healer instead of your co-healer who was dead?

    If so, they're complete fucking idiots (not surprising it is 24 man). If they want the highest success chance any idiot with a brain could see that raising the alliance healers that have 0 is better way to go.

    You probably could have gotten a hard-casted raise off though. You'd just have to time it well (i.e. immediately after an AOE).

  17. #39957
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I have 2 externals for back up in addition to the copy that resides on the internal HDD I have (the latter of which frees up my SSD to be nothing but OS + software).
    *shrug* 1TB SSD here.
    While I wouldn't dump video/Audio data onto it (imho that would just be a decadent waste of expensive hardware, SSD space is reserved for stuff that actually benefits from it), as far as games or installed programs are concerned: I don't need to care.
    Although my system itself is on a 120GB SSD that eventually got too small for OS + 2 MMO clients.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    2 Questions:
    1) Do your AOE heals hit other alliance members or strictly PT members?
    2) I genuinely don't understand the rage in your example. Your party was mad you raised another alliance healer instead of your co-healer who was dead?

    If so, they're complete fucking idiots (not surprising it is 24 man). If they want the highest success chance any idiot with a brain could see that raising the alliance healers that have 0 is better way to go.
    You probably could have gotten a hard-casted raise off though. You'd just have to time it well (i.e. immediately after an AOE).
    1)I believe there is no AoE effect/Buff/Debuff that crosses the boundaries of the 8 man party into another. While I do keep an eye on all 24 members (used to it from WoW) I am restricted to single target heals in order to save many a butt from fire.
    2) The rage came because people were playing like cave men, standing EVERYWHERE, despite there being marks. Naturally I cannot keep them alive indefinitely if they force me to use ST heals b/c they refuse to get into AoE range.

    Considering though that they spammed me and called me an idiot (remember, we are talking about a time window of less than 30 seconds after the first chat announcement, Swiftcasts CD was about half way through IIRC), I do believe that it was no big loss that they kicked me. Esp since I got a subsequent run that started on the last boss and finished that one in the first pull.

    As for the hard cast: no I could not. It was a phase in which I had co constantly move AND save as many behinds as I could (because moving is apparently hard for DPS). Had I hard casted, all of them would have been dead by the time I rezzed our healer.

  18. #39958
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I agree. I just cannot believe the OP's story. It just doesn't make sense outside of Shinryu. The only way it could/would make sense is if they were just afk leeching (bare minimum like only hitting a few abilities then idling) and someone got mad, in which case they deserve it.

    They also mention that it happens frequently and "only" to them. You know my adage, there's a clear common denominator there and it isn't "elitists" or "pro-log asshats".



    One major downside to ACT is its semi-complicated setup. This ends up with people who THINK they have good data, but don't understand what they're reading. He could be reading one pull and seeing your friends DPS is low, or one boss, but on overall he's doing double the total damage, etc.

    I've seen and been kicked from dungeons before (more than WoW actually, but that's because the type of dungeons I do, kicking someone is incredibly counterproductive to all parties involved).

    It's still rareish, but usually because I get vocal (as nicely as possible) about the SAM who isn't AOEing, or the zDPS healer, even worse when it is a WHM.



    This DDoS shit is pretty annoying for sure.
    If it's the same one I'm remembering (trying to avoid OF at this point due to how aneurysm-inducing it seems at times), I recall that OP mentioning grey parses, so essentially the worst of the worst. Given the lengths people go on that forum to defend poor play, it comes as no surprise.

    ACT being a bit of a PITA to set up is a double-edged sword. If someone really REALLY wants to know combat stats and such, they'll go through the necessary hoops to get it installed and working. At the same time, wouldn't people want that sort of data to be readily accessible? I'm fortunate enough I'm able to set it up on my second monitor, so I use an overlay for it on part of the screen while I keep browser tabs open for things like hunt trackers, XIVDB to look up items, etc.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    *shrug* 1TB SSD here.
    While I wouldn't dump video/Audio data onto it (imho that would just be a decadent waste of expensive hardware, SSD space is reserved for stuff that actually benefits from it), as far as games or installed programs are concerned: I don't need to care.
    Although my system itself is on a 120GB SSD that eventually got too small for OS + 2 MMO clients.
    I have a 512 gb SSD now, yet I'm still a scrooge when it comes to drive space.

    Even funnier: I still, to this day, will not use a custom wallpaper. Nothing but a blank black background. This stems from the old adage years ago that having a custom background would eat up VRAM that could be used in games or elsewhere. Considering I have a card that has more VRAM than many PCs have actual RAM, it's comical...

    On the AoE heals note: Yup, they won't apply to people in other alliances, otherwise AoE heals would be brokenly powerful and we'd have "healers" who do nothing but spam AoE heals because that would get them through on 24 man raids.

  19. #39959
    Sidenote: Stolas is hilarious to solo. 'I put you to sleep! I awaken you! I put you to sleep! I awaken you!'

    So far, the sidequest stories have been okay. I'd mostly forgotten the Fringes and Peaks low-level cos I did a bunch of them while trying to get past the Raublock. The Ruby Sea ones were decent, the chain around Isari Village was interesting, I enjoyed the low-level Yanxia ones and the way they tied together. I notice they're pushing more of these 'you will get no assistance from the map' quests. Okay, Internet says I don't need that anyway, I just need to tab to a search engine for the answer. I guess some people find that 'figure it out' shit fun; I don't.

  20. #39960
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,604
    I could not live w/o my Draenei on my Desktop. She sits there since 2008 and keeps me company.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    On the AoE heals note: Yup, they won't apply to people in other alliances, otherwise AoE heals would be brokenly powerful and we'd have "healers" who do nothing but spam AoE heals because that would get them through on 24 man raids.
    Haha, imagine that threat generation when doing overheal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •