Plenty friendly, you can go after dungeon gear and follow the upgrade path through trials and raids and whatnot, or you could go to Eureka and get the Relic weapon and armor to help push yourself up.

Guys I have a dilemma,

I want to get back into FFXIV (I have a 50 scholar) but I don't want to pay for both the expasion + a month.

Is there ANY way to get the two xpacs + a month of time for $40?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lolbubble View Post
    I want to get back into FFXIV (I have a 50 scholar) but I don't want to pay for both the expasion + a month.

Is there ANY way to get the two xpacs + a month of time for $40?
    If you buy Stormblood, it comes with Heavensward included. It's currently $40. However you have to buy game time separately, so that's another $15.

Your best bet is to wait for a sale on Stormblood. There was one at the beginning of March, where it was 50% off. I don't know when the next sale will be, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I always circle back to this game because I thoroughly enjoyed it...

I haven't touched it since Stormblood launch because my group always seems to go back to WoW. Given that I am now playing things alone - I figured I might check out FFXIV once again.

How "returner" friendly is it now? When I played previously, it was essentially pug EX's or don't play. I started leveling alts because I had the highest IL I could from pugging as there were no raids out.

Is coming back and "catching up" possible still? Or should I be waiting for a specific point in time in the future to catch up.
    It’s pretty catchup friendly, imo. To get into savage at this point, I figure most groups would want ilvl 350 as a minimum, though...doable quickly if you have a crafting friend or a pile of gil. Otherwise you’re looking at grinding out a set from Eureka and getting accessories from normal Sigmascape.

Kinda went nuts with Eureka the last few days and am now level 10 with enough Anemos crystals to get to +2 on one class. I'm having fun in there for now and it's a really consistent, easy and relatively mindless way to get decent gear so I'll be hanging out a while. Plus I want to try and get the throwback gear that the NMs drop. Got me the Emperor's Hairpin and I got all nostalgic and hyped to get the others.

Now I just need to spend time outside of Eureka to get my other classes leveled up =( having too much fun in Eureka for now to want to spend that much time outside of it since roulettes are the best way to level and the only classes I have left are all DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Yeah, our first enrage was like 36% LOL. 2 healer lb3's and just deaths everywhere. Then it was 22%. Then it was 16% then it was 2%, then it was 897 HP. Yep 897...

Then we got it. We had a revolving door of BRDs which sucked, would teach them the fight then they left. You'll get it!
    We just got it in our next time in there! We went from seeing the enrage at 22% the last time we were there, to a 7% and then a kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Kinda went nuts with Eureka the last few days and am now level 10 with enough Anemos crystals to get to +2 on one class. I'm having fun in there for now and it's a really consistent, easy and relatively mindless way to get decent gear so I'll be hanging out a while. Plus I want to try and get the throwback gear that the NMs drop. Got me the Emperor's Hairpin and I got all nostalgic and hyped to get the others.

Now I just need to spend time outside of Eureka to get my other classes leveled up =( having too much fun in Eureka for now to want to spend that much time outside of it since roulettes are the best way to level and the only classes I have left are all DPS.
    Traitor. How dare you utter FUN and MINDLESS in the same sentence. Just so you know, I reported you in game for this statement. Enjoy your ban kid.

/s.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    We just got it in our next time in there! We went from seeing the enrage at 22% the last time we were there, to a 7% and then a kill.
    Awesome grats! What dropped? Don't you dare say PLD gear.

Traitor. How dare you utter FUN and MINDLESS in the same sentence. Just so you know, I reported you in game for this statement. Enjoy your ban kid.

/s.

Ha!

As part of the NM Train you zerg everything so that's not really "fun" as much as it is satisfying as I'm gaining a good amount of gil, xp, crystals, tomes, other random loot from those boxes and even some cool throwback gear from FFXI so the rewards are nice. Knowing my time spent in Eureka = rewards makes it "fun" though I'm not sure fun is the best word, because it really isn't engaging or overly fulfilling. The funnest, yet also most frustrating, part for me is navigating my way to the train solo through swarms of enemies that can one shot me without getting noticed.

I've had good experiences and bad, mostly good though. The place is great when you have someone on point with the tracker and the train is coordinated and all together and NMs are getting popped left and right. It's not so fun when it's the opposite, though I usually bail on those pretty quick because it's just a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Ha!

As part of the NM Train you zerg everything so that's not really "fun" as much as it is satisfying as I'm gaining a good amount of gil, xp, crystals, tomes, other random loot from those boxes and even some cool throwback gear from FFXI so the rewards are nice. Knowing my time spent in Eureka = rewards makes it "fun" though I'm not sure fun is the best word, because it really isn't engaging or overly fulfilling. The funnest, yet also most frustrating, part for me is navigating my way to the train solo through swarms of enemies that can one shot me without getting noticed.

I've had good experiences and bad, mostly good though. The place is great when you have someone on point with the tracker and the train is coordinated and all together and NMs are getting popped left and right. It's not so fun when it's the opposite, though I usually bail on those pretty quick because it's just a waste of time.
    I'd use the word rewarding, because the reward to effort ratio in Eureka is pretty wack, but I acknowledge that rewarding can have other contexts where it doesn't fit well.

On that note: if someone said stand in a line for 24 hours and you get a free car, the "contest" here isn't fun, but offers a great reward. It can be fun getting a reward, but the physical process in which the reward is earned is not fun.

Tricky stuff...

Speaking strictly personally, rewards are generally the least important determining factor for me as a player. The experience is always my prime focus. Like I don't do savage because I get 10ilvl more. I don't do savage because of a mount (becuase <3 chocobo). I don't do Savage because it lets me dye my gear (although, if ANY of the material rewards applied to me, it'd be this).

I do it because it engages me as a player.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2018-04-03 at 05:49 PM.

I'd use the word rewarding, because the reward to effort ratio in Eureka is pretty wack, but I acknowledge that rewarding can have other contexts where it doesn't fit well.

On that note: if someone said stand in a line for 24 hours and you get a free car, the "contest" here isn't fun, but offers a great reward. It can be fun getting a reward, but the physical process in which the reward is earned is not fun.

Tricky stuff...

Speaking strictly personally, rewards are generally the least important determining factor for me as a player. The experience is always my prime focus. Like I don't do savage because I get 10ilvl more. I don't do savage because of a mount (becuase <3 chocobo). I don't do Savage because it lets me dye my gear (although, if ANY of the material rewards applied to me, it'd be this).

I do it because it engages me as a player.
    My focus changes depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. For now, I'm WAAAY behind on gearing with my highest being only barely i330 and Eureka gives a really simple and effective way to get multiple rewards, which includes gear.

Once I have the gear to attempt the higher end stuff I'll take a stab at it, but my main driving force is still the reward. I am just not personally one to do do challenges for challenge sake in a game. I'll admit I have zero chill about this kind of stuff and multiple wipe attempts and things like that aren't satisfying at all and really only serve to irritate me, especially when the reason we're not clearing is somebody else's fault and I have very little if any control over that.

How to have fun in Eureka:

- Stand in middle of NM zerg
    - /em pokes you.
    - if enough people are around that player model culling is occurring, run away from the crowd...or stand in to see all the responses

All weapons and 2 armor sets done. Only going there now to help friends and to cap mendacity tomes asap.

RDM weapon and the Fending chest, and then we gave the coffer to our monk to help speed along future clears.

At least I got a piece of glamour so that's the real end game.

Haven't seen them posted here, and I'm certain most of us are aware, but come 4.3 we'll have men in bunny suits:

I'm somewhat indifferent, but that's easy to say when playing a female character. On one hand, there's a bunch of folks super excited for these outfits since they've been casually mentioned as a thing for what, 2 years? Then at the same time, for it having been that long, there's a lot of folks bummed out that the outfits are essentially copy/paste. I'm both glad for the folks that are happy and sympathetic to those who were hoping for something a wee bit different. No, I wouldn't have been upset at all if it was a male-only glam, either, although I kinda hope they'll get away from that habit at some point (gender-locked glams). I'd be happy to purchase the Aymeric outfit + hair were I actually able to wear the outfit...

10+ Year Old Account
    I fully expect to see men wearing that ridiculousness running around as servants in the Goldsaucer. If not, I will be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I fully expect to see men wearing that ridiculousness running around as servants in the Goldsaucer. If not, I will be disappointed!
    Friend of mine who plays male roe stated he would get the top at least and use some sort of speedo-looking “pants”. This same friend has/had a “postmaster” glam that looked like it belonged in a Village People video, so I expect to be amused.

If it’s rampant enough I may get the bunny outfit just for possible group photos and/or /gpose opportunities.

Like anything, you'll see it everywhere for a month and then it'll die back off. Just like when everyone was running around with those wolf-ears on their head. Or in the Christmas outfit.

Did they change the HW Hunt Bills? Cos I've been doing them for YEARS and today is the first time I EVER saw a Steinbock as a Hunt Mark.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Did they change the HW Hunt Bills? Cos I've been doing them for YEARS and today is the first time I EVER saw a Steinbock as a Hunt Mark.
    Not afaik, I've gotten the steinbocks a few times before.

Whomever decided that the Cutscenes for the dungeons at the end of the ARR MSQ should be unskippable needs to be dragged out of their office, forcefully, and unceremoneously thrown out on to the street. That level of idiocy should have gotten them fired long before it ever made it into the game, let alone this long after the content has faded into irrelevence. Especially when everyone in the group has already completed the dungeon in question. Spending an hour to complete 5 minutes of repeated content is not at all what I expect when I queue for the level 50-60 Roulette.

It's crap like this that makes me realise just how out of touch Squenix are sometimes.

I disagree, story takes precedence, that's always been their design goal, and I had a friend quit playing because of his experience trying to do those dungeons, everyone rushing ahead, leaving him unable to see what he'd spent all that time working towards, the dungeon as it was intended to be done. Now players are guaranteed that experience, at least.

It's unfortunate you got it in a roulette other than MSQ or Mentor, but...them's the breaks. You had the option to eat your deserter debuff and requeue, after all.