1. #42841
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Nicest way I can put it: There’s far more important/valuable things to spend development resources on.
    I'd much rather they put the resources towards giving me the option to turn off all other player glamours. Then I don't have to look at whatever lulshit outfit someone put together and just adventure with 'generic race/sex job' party members.

  2. #42842
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The people who claim to not be able to use abilities in a dungeon because of 'RP' are almost certainly trolling...and likely aren't even role-players to begin with.
    But what if its Table Cloth getting her tomecap?
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  3. #42843
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    But what if its Table Cloth getting her tomecap?
    She's washed up and needs to be hung out to dry.

  4. #42844
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    She's washed up and needs to be hung out to dry.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme..._rip_in_peace/

    I can't believe her retirement was community news.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  5. #42845
    SAM question, if anyone knows this one...

    Few friends and I are farming Rathalos. At the start of the fight, as I head in I hit Third Eye. Rathalos roars for damage.
    This activates Open Eyes, but only Merciful Eyes (self heal) activates for use. Hissatsu: Seigan, which is an attack only usable under Open Eyes and shares a cool down with Merciful Eyes, doesn't trigger as being able to be used.

    Any ideas what I'm missing? I rarely remember to use Third Eye since I find it excessively situational and for the most part an utter waste of time, but this opening run is a situation I could make use of it and I'm just scratching my head with Seigan won't activate despite Merciful Eyes doing so.

  6. #42846
    Scarab Lord Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    4,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    SAM question, if anyone knows this one...

    Few friends and I are farming Rathalos. At the start of the fight, as I head in I hit Third Eye. Rathalos roars for damage.
    This activates Open Eyes, but only Merciful Eyes (self heal) activates for use. Hissatsu: Seigan, which is an attack only usable under Open Eyes and shares a cool down with Merciful Eyes, doesn't trigger as being able to be used.

    Any ideas what I'm missing? I rarely remember to use Third Eye since I find it excessively situational and for the most part an utter waste of time, but this opening run is a situation I could make use of it and I'm just scratching my head with Seigan won't activate despite Merciful Eyes doing so.
    Hm, not really a sam player much myself but the only thing i can think of is did you have the kenki to use it?

  7. #42847
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Hm, not really a sam player much myself but the only thing i can think of is did you have the kenki to use it?
    .....hahahahahah derp, yeah, it's the start of the fight. That's it!
    I knew I was overlooking something dumb. XD

  8. #42848
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    12,853
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme..._rip_in_peace/

    I can't believe her retirement was community news.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I never even knew this was a thing! I've missed out!

    I remember seeing another RPer similar to Table Cloth, though. A Lalafell named Door Stop that just sat at one of the doors of the inn, looking as if she was holding it open. I approve!

  9. #42849
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I never even knew this was a thing! I've missed out!

    I remember seeing another RPer similar to Table Cloth, though. A Lalafell named Door Stop that just sat at one of the doors of the inn, looking as if she was holding it open. I approve!
    Table Cloths legacy lives on!

    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  10. #42850
    Makes me think of a WoW character, Draenei named Pilot, title 'Of The Exodar', guild name <Unemployed>; or Homeless Krytan in GW 2, guild name Could You Spare A Coin [Poor].

  11. #42851
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    12,853
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Table Cloths legacy lives on!

    That's a high quality table-cloth right there.

  12. #42852
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    That's a high quality table-cloth right there.
    Looks like my kitchen counter when I drop a cloth or something on top of the potatoes I'm preparing.

  13. #42853
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I made a rather robust post on this one time.
    Points 3 and 4, while they would affect healers, would also have a noticable effect on other Jobs. They'd require a shift in the games design and demand that the players adjust, it's a radical depature from what FF14 currently is. I don't think it would be a bad idea at all, individual responsabilities tend to be downplayed outside

    As for 1 and 2, I think given the choice, I would go probably make healing powerful, but gate that power more behind cooldowns. For healing to be impactful there has to be a failure state where you're just unable to push out enough healing for the encounter. Having your main healing spells on, say, 15-20 second cooldowns automatically makes any heals a precious resource. Not enough to be punishing for a single mistake, but enough for cumulative mistakes to cause deaths and wipes.

    There should, imo, be a failure state where you're unable to hit the required HPS. For that to happen you need to be able to make mistakes with healing and right now unless you're outright ignoring your responsabilities it's extremely hard for a lack of healing to cause a wipe.

    Gating it behind MP means you have failure states where you can't keep the HPS required up for long enough to beat the encounter before you run out of MP, but that's an issue which can be solved by consumables, gear Raid buffs and so on. It's a failure state that quickly disapears as more gear enters the equation.

    I would also look to include more varied heals too, not just Fast/Slow and Expensive/Cheap etc, but things like the old Lightwell WoW Priests had, or being able to create healing zones and so on. Right now, things are very binary in FF14 outside of a few skills, rounding out the pool with more varied abilities allows a much larger range of healing niches to exist. Not just to shamelessly borrow from other games, but WoW's Chain Heal, Prayer of Mending and similar skills are much more interesting to work with than FF14's area heals.

    As for the final point, I've always been a fan of "soft enrage" type mechanics myself. They move the failure point depending on your group setup and experience which is infinately more interesting to play through than instant death hard enrages. Going as far as being able to adjust where that point is intentionally allows groups to come up with interesting stratergies for beating the encounter. Moroes in Karazahn was a great example of this - You had options that ranged from CCing all the adds to just brute forcing it and everything in between. You even had to change up most stratergies week by week depending on which Guests were at the party.

  14. #42854
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoco
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    That's a high quality table-cloth right there.
    Looks more like a potato to be peeled and cut.

  15. #42855
    Going to hit 70 with my Dragoon today. Love the gameplay and rotation, but I kinda dislike how long the Jump animations are and how easily it can clip into your GCD ability because of it. Not sure if this is the proper way, but I avoid using another oGCD when using Jumps just because of the long animation.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

    Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

  16. #42856
    Well the halloween event is a bit of a bust. The 'find 3 guys on this floor change' was a bit lame really and after the rising i was hoping for something better as the one and only event i missed due to a HDD failure was the new tower climb summer one. It just seems like a lot of events are 'hey heres a wind up-X' and stuff like mounts and costumes are starting to be RMT only, which no doubt will make a killing in its domestic market but when 'funpay minibuys' are a total 'not happening' situation it leaves you with very little reason to do events.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  17. #42857
    Scarab Lord Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    4,370
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Well the halloween event is a bit of a bust. The 'find 3 guys on this floor change' was a bit lame really and after the rising i was hoping for something better as the one and only event i missed due to a HDD failure was the new tower climb summer one. It just seems like a lot of events are 'hey heres a wind up-X' and stuff like mounts and costumes are starting to be RMT only, which no doubt will make a killing in its domestic market but when 'funpay minibuys' are a total 'not happening' situation it leaves you with very little reason to do events.
    Are you serious? We've gotten mounts from the valentione's day event, emotes from the little ladies' day event, and glamour from the heavensturn, moonfire faire and are going to get some for christmas. Holiday events have always been small little quest things that generally can be done with an hour or two of the first day. Some years, you get glamour, or maybe a mount, or just a minion. The idea that they're just pushing everything to the mogstation is flat out false, and most of the items on the mogstation either previous years' rewards or CN/KR exclusive items that are brought over. Very few of the items are unique to mogstation.

    I get that you may not like the rewards or find the event very fun this year, but this is no different than any other years' rewards/questline. Really no need to start crying about things because you're not happy freebie seasonal rewards.

  18. #42858
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Points 3 and 4, while they would affect healers, would also have a noticable effect on other Jobs. They'd require a shift in the games design and demand that the players adjust, it's a radical depature from what FF14 currently is. I don't think it would be a bad idea at all, individual responsabilities tend to be downplayed outside.
    Intended. I'm not entirely in agreement with the "radical" descriptor, but it'd certainly be a change. Otherwise we're on the same page.

    As for 1 and 2, I think given the choice, I would go probably make healing powerful, but gate that power more behind cooldowns. For healing to be impactful there has to be a failure state where you're just unable to push out enough healing for the encounter. Having your main healing spells on, say, 15-20 second cooldowns automatically makes any heals a precious resource. Not enough to be punishing for a single mistake, but enough for cumulative mistakes to cause deaths and wipes.

    There should, imo, be a failure state where you're unable to hit the required HPS. For that to happen you need to be able to make mistakes with healing and right now unless you're outright ignoring your responsabilities it's extremely hard for a lack of healing to cause a wipe.

    Gating it behind MP means you have failure states where you can't keep the HPS required up for long enough to beat the encounter before you run out of MP, but that's an issue which can be solved by consumables, gear Raid buffs and so on. It's a failure state that quickly disapears as more gear enters the equation.

    I would also look to include more varied heals too, not just Fast/Slow and Expensive/Cheap etc, but things like the old Lightwell WoW Priests had, or being able to create healing zones and so on. Right now, things are very binary in FF14 outside of a few skills, rounding out the pool with more varied abilities allows a much larger range of healing niches to exist. Not just to shamelessly borrow from other games, but WoW's Chain Heal, Prayer of Mending and similar skills are much more interesting to work with than FF14's area heals.
    Maybe I wasn't super clear, but this is nearly identical to what I was trying to propose. Not just binary fast/slow/expensive/cheap designations, but everywhere in between and interactive with oGCDs and CDs.

    You state that MP issues would be "quickly" overcome, but that's a tuning issue not a design one. The concept is still sound and I'd actually argue that it's the correct way to demonstrate power growth.

    As for the final point, I've always been a fan of "soft enrage" type mechanics myself. They move the failure point depending on your group setup and experience which is infinately more interesting to play through than instant death hard enrages. Going as far as being able to adjust where that point is intentionally allows groups to come up with interesting stratergies for beating the encounter. Moroes in Karazahn was a great example of this - You had options that ranged from CCing all the adds to just brute forcing it and everything in between. You even had to change up most stratergies week by week depending on which Guests were at the party.
    Agreed.

  19. #42859
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Are you serious? We've gotten mounts from the valentione's day event, emotes from the little ladies' day event, and glamour from the heavensturn, moonfire faire and are going to get some for christmas. Holiday events have always been small little quest things that generally can be done with an hour or two of the first day. Some years, you get glamour, or maybe a mount, or just a minion. The idea that they're just pushing everything to the mogstation is flat out false, and most of the items on the mogstation either previous years' rewards or CN/KR exclusive items that are brought over. Very few of the items are unique to mogstation.

    I get that you may not like the rewards or find the event very fun this year, but this is no different than any other years' rewards/questline. Really no need to start crying about things because you're not happy freebie seasonal rewards.
    Event rewards total per year, including lightning, garo, shantotto, maidens raphsody and hunt for rathalos
    2013
    28 outfit pieces
    8 weapons
    1 chocobo barding

    2014
    50 outfit pieces - 10 repeats
    8 weapons - 8 repeats
    8 minions - 2 repeats
    1 chocobo barding
    2 emotes
    1 unique dye
    13 housing none food/consumable pieces
    new facepaint styles

    2015
    29 outfit pieces
    4 minions
    3 mounts
    1 chocobo barding
    16 housing none food/consumable pieces

    2016
    15 outfit pieces
    16 minions
    11 housing none food/consumable pieces
    6 orchestrion rolls
    7 emotes

    2017
    104 outfit pieces
    3 minions
    5 mounts
    2 emotes
    18 housing none food/consumable pieces
    6 orchestrion roll
    1 haircut
    3 triple triad cards

    2018
    16 outfit pieces
    5 minions
    3 emotes
    3 mounts - 2 repeats
    5 orchestrion rolls
    7 housing none food/consumable pieces

    Here we are with 2 months left in the year and we have 8 times more mogstation updates in 2018 than ingame events adding a significant numbers of items, totalling more new ones than event rewards of the same type while things like seasonal chocobo bardings, weapons and things like unique character customisation options are just gone entirely from events.
    Just because you are cool with it doesn't mean there is not a noticeable decline in rewards while the number of cash shop rmts in the same time has only increased. Which would be fine if it were a F2P game but its not. A subscription fee is meant for two things: access to the developers product and to go towards the production of future content updates. Which this year has been smaller in number then ever as the cash shop exploded. I love the game but you would have to be straight up in denial or completely ignorant of the stark drop off in seasonal content to think its "crying over freebies".
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  20. #42860
    Scarab Lord Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    4,370
    There are only 24 CN/KR exclusive items and only 62 Mogstation specific items with 218 items being previous seasonal rewards. You are just crying about freebies. Considering that we don't get the same number of events each year, with only heavensturn/valentione's/little ladies'/hatching-tide/make it rain/moonfire/rising/saints/starlight being the assured events (make it rain being newer), it makes sense that some years will have more and some years will have less.

    Also how much of those items do you actively use? Most of them probably not. You probably only ever glamour the halloween glamours when its halloween and use the mounts when you get it via mount roulette. So I'm not really sure why there's a reason to throw a hissy fit over items you probably just end up throwing in the armoire and only using maybe once or twice, if that. "oh no, how dare i not get cool, new items i'm going to use a few items and then never again!!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •