10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I do still play, though less often than I used to. Fitting it in around work is tough at times, made harder by the fact that my neighbours on both sides have small babies, and I have an acoustic so headphones aren't an option. It's still my go-to chill out hobby though, I find strumming to be very relaxing.

As for being any good... Yes and no. I can play reasonably well, but I never really had the drive to exceptional at it. For me it was something I did to unwind. While I can certainly play well enough alone, I very rarely get the chance to play with other people. Those are two different beasts entirely. I did consider teaching how to play as a side-gig at one point, but I never really had the time to fully commit to doing it. For the time being, it's relegated to being a hobby more than anything else.
    Heh I can understand that. Trying to fit in the practice when one is beat from working is indeed tough.
    Playing with others is tough in the beginning. It's slowly getting easier after 3 years but depending on what my teacher does at the piano I still get confused very easily.
    I too play strictly for personal enjoyment, though I'm still a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I've never noticed gaming to be putting any more, or really any less, strain on my hands than playing the guitar. I did try set up common binds so my hands and fingers would be in a similar position though. It wasn't always possible, but I tried my best to make my binds as comfortable as I could. I also tend to take the time to stretch my hands and fingers before I start gaming, as well as when I get small breaks between rounds, while loading, looting etc. I'm not sure if it helps but it's never hurt (pun intended).

That's not to say I won't ever get RSI, but my current set up hasn't ever given me any problems. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
    I honestly never took the time to make my binds more comfortable, I didn't think I could. The size of my hand (it's not huge, but my palm is pretty big and my fingers are somewhat short) and the position of the modifier keys (left ctrl, alt and shift) made it so my thumb and pinky on my left hand were being used constantly in pretty tight positions with consistent pressures to hold the keys down, usually sideways rather than normal movement "up+down" so to speak. The motions weren't at all like playing guitar, for me.

With the gaming keypad, the positions and types of movement are a lot more consistent with how I play guitar.

I'm glad you're not having issues and can enjoy the way you play. As you said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Mine was apparently broken and it took some peripherals to fix it. I just try to advocate for people to not be afraid of spending money if they have to, to fix it, you're better off in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I honestly never took the time to make my binds more comfortable, I didn't think I could. The size of my hand (it's not huge, but my palm is pretty big and my fingers are somewhat short) and the position of the modifier keys (left ctrl, alt and shift) made it so my thumb and pinky on my left hand were being used constantly in pretty tight positions with consistent pressures to hold the keys down, usually sideways rather than normal movement "up+down" so to speak. The motions weren't at all like playing guitar, for me.
    I never could get modifier keybinds to work. I used shift for out of combat stuff but felt uncomfortable using it constantly. That's why a mouse with more buttons is necessary to me but I never went so far as to get a Naga.

Got WAR to 70, thought i was finally done levelling again. Then realised i totally forgot PLD was still at 60. Well thats another bunch of roullettes to waste

10+ Year Old Account
    I still have 6 classes left, currently on bard.

Just got DRG to 70, just have NIN left.

Bard is pretty awesome IMO. One of my favorites.

NIN is okay till it gets its big new mechanic and then just falls off a cliff, and i mained NIN from 2.whatever to the launch of stormblood.

I honestly never took the time to make my binds more comfortable, I didn't think I could.
    -snip-
    I just try to advocate for people to not be afraid of spending money if they have to, to fix it, you're better off in the long run.
    Mine came about as a result of trial and error. I started off just binding things wherever, which resulted in some pretty stupid ones like Shift + O and Alt + F3. The ones I realised were bad quickly got changed to something better, and from there they gradually shifted over the years into what I use now.

The skill lay outs have undergone a lot of itterations too, but I'm at the point now where I have a loose system of sorts. For example, survival cooldowns are on my F key, Shift + F, Ctrl + F etc from shortest cooldown to longest. That way it's always the same button no matter the Game/Class. Sometimes you don't have one and it just goes unused. I found what works for me and I stick to it.

As for peripherals, in general they tend to always be worth the investment. I built my own Arcade Stick ~8 or so years ago now for about £120. It's still in perfect working order despite the repeated abuse it gets whenever I play. It will likely still be in working order 8 years further down the line from now. Admitedly, I have gone through three different chassis that I made myself for it, but those were largely due artistic choice. I mean, who else do you know who showed up to FGC events with a stick that had a drinks cup holder?

The same is true for most other devices - Quality ones will survive pretty much anything you can throw at them with normal usage. You may be spending £100 on it now, but you'll still have it years from now. You definately get what you pay for. The exception, seemingly, being Xbox controllers - I used to break those like it was going out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Got WAR to 70, thought i was finally done levelling again. Then realised i totally forgot PLD was still at 60. Well thats another bunch of roullettes to waste
    Count yourself lucky, I've got just 4 Jobs at 70. Most are under 30 still. I do keep meaning to go finish off leveling with the 30% EXP preorder earing, but I can't seem to find the time or motivation to do it.

I did finish WAR though, and, to be honest, I might just leave it at that. It's a fun job and tanks are always in demand .

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    NIN is okay till it gets its big new mechanic and then just falls off a cliff, and i mained NIN from 2.whatever to the launch of stormblood.
    Oh man that sucks, I was planning on NIN being my next job and my first melee job. Would you recommend any other melee jobs instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Oh man that sucks, I was planning on NIN being my next job and my first melee job. Would you recommend any other melee jobs instead?
    I find dragoon really solid and fun, though the way that Life of the Dragon builds can be a bit frustrating and it suffers the same issue as monk where dropping your stacks (and losing blood of the dragon, but timing has to be really bad for that to happen) just kills your DPS.

I haven't played Monk so I can't give an opinion on that.

Samurai is probably the "safest" melee DPS, the requirements on positionals is lenient (Resource generation, not damage), their rotation is very simple and set it stone, and their kit pulls together. The only warning is that Samurai tends to be unfavorite because they have zero party utility, just aggressively high damage, and even then mastering it and learning how to spend your resources and balance you Iajutsu at a competitive level is a bit more nuanced and research-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    I find dragoon really solid and fun, though the way that Life of the Dragon builds can be a bit frustrating and it suffers the same issue as monk where dropping your stacks (and losing blood of the dragon, but timing has to be really bad for that to happen) just kills your DPS.

I haven't played Monk so I can't give an opinion on that.

Samurai is probably the "safest" melee DPS, the requirements on positionals is lenient (Resource generation, not damage), their rotation is very simple and set it stone, and their kit pulls together. The only warning is that Samurai tends to be unfavorite because they have zero party utility, just aggressively high damage, and even then mastering it and learning how to spend your resources and balance you Iajutsu at a competitive level is a bit more nuanced and research-worthy.
    Nice, thanks for the advice! I think I'll go with the DRG next then as well as BRD on the side. It's honestly really awesome how you can level them all on a single character. I've been neglecting the MSQ and so much else just because I've been having so much fun trying out all the jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    I’m leveling NIN now as my last job to 70. The new mechanics are fine IMO, and don’t really change up the play style that much. It adds a couple new buttons to press instead of your normal combos and the level 70 skill (leveling in HoH so I’ve used it) isn’t bad, just weird to use. I’m enjoying it so far. Saying it falls off a cliff once you get the new skills seems a bit overstated, IMO. I “liked” all of the melee DPS, with Monk being the least and Samurai my most liked. None of them are bad. That said, it’s really easy to test drive them in Palace of the Dead or Heaven on High. I personally prefer SAM because of how fluidly it flows together, though DRG and NIN aren’t far behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bard is pretty awesome IMO. One of my favorites.
    Well so far (lv 50-60 duties) it feels disjointed, confused and annoying. Lets see if things get better later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well so far (lv 50-60 duties) it feels disjointed, confused and annoying. Lets see if things get better later on.
    Yeah, sadly that's pretty standard for a lot of the classes prior to getting their latest and greatest expansion mechanics.

The only classes I felt didn't really suffer from that, at least from ~50-70 were DRG and NIN, the new mechanics/ abilities are just added on top of what they already do, they don't gut the class into feeling weird until you get them. Bard from 60-70 was fun to me. I max out all my classes each expansion so I just had to take everything from 60 to 70 so I started the NEW Bard (since it got overhauled for Stormblood) at 60 and it was fun to me from the start...once I got the hang of it.

It really is pretty sad that most classes don't really start FEELING complete until they're max level, with many of them feeling disjointed and weird until then. Biggest offender for me was DRK, which felt awful until ~66 when you really start taking advantage of the Black Blood mechanic, but even then, it felt like it was missing something until ~68. SE needs to take a page from the WoW play book here and get a much more well defined class design early on and add to it rather than take away from it to make it meaty at the end...it's like having a burrito with all the good stuff stuffed into the bottom of it and not evenly distributed throughout.

I disagree with some few exceptions, almost every class I've played (everything sans mch and monk) feels complete at 50. The core mechanics that classes will use at level 70 are in place at level 50 for *most* classes and in place at level 60 for the remaining ones, and while play style may shift on the road to 70, that's different from being incomplete.

I like the way 14 feels right now, levelling up matters and there's a clear sense of progression and growing power that WoW lacks. Hell, recent expansions, you actually grow weaker when you level thanks to zone scaling. For the most part, 14 does a good job of giving us new toys to play with as we level while keeping the old ones as essential and a core part of playing the class well (or at all).

I do think this design won't be viable forever, though, and depending on how Shadowbringers handles new class abilities with the spread of active vs passive skills, it'll happen with ShB or in 6.0 for the classes it's not already a problem for. That said, the significantly slower gcd makes having a small army of buttons to hit easier to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCookieGod View Post
    I disagree with some few exceptions, almost every class I've played (everything sans mch and monk) feels complete at 50. The core mechanics that classes will use at level 70 are in place at level 50 for *most* classes and in place at level 60 for the remaining ones, and while play style may shift on the road to 70, that's different from being incomplete.

I like the way 14 feels right now, levelling up matters and there's a clear sense of progression and growing power that WoW lacks. Hell, recent expansions, you actually grow weaker when you level thanks to zone scaling. For the most part, 14 does a good job of giving us new toys to play with as we level while keeping the old ones as essential and a core part of playing the class well (or at all).

I do think this design won't be viable forever, though, and depending on how Shadowbringers handles new class abilities with the spread of active vs passive skills, it'll happen with ShB or in 6.0 for the classes it's not already a problem for. That said, the significantly slower gcd makes having a small army of buttons to hit easier to manage.
    Maybe I overstated how many classes have the problem, but there are some that feel like they're missing something when compared to other classes, especially at 50. Dark Knight for example, just feels so bare bones compared to Warrior and Paladin at 50 it's crazy and doesn't even get one of it's class mechanics until level 64 I think? Up until that point it feels lacking and somewhat boring to play compared to WAR and PLD. The base classes don't really seem to have this problem, now that I think about it, it's all the classes that have been added since ARR (MCH, DRK, AST, SAM and RDM) which really just happen to be the ones that are fresher in my mind. DRK and AST are the healer and tank I play, RDM is my main and SAM is my favorite melee class to play so those all just stuck out in my mind. I have no idea how BRD feels leveling up since the overhaul, mine was at 60 when the overhaul happened so I can't comment on it before then, but it didn't really feel like it was incomplete at 60 though it didn't get fully fleshed out until my road to 70.

I agree that I don't this design will be viable forever, you can't just continue adding new abilities continuously and expect things to work well in the long run. The classes NEED to get overhauled at some point to accommodate that. We'll see what happens with the Shadowbringers battle system changes.

I'll agree drk is the worst offender of "everything changes" post 60. Hopefully, it sees the same shine and attention that drg got in HW and mnk/sam got for SB with a good revamp. I really liked what the revamping for Paladin post-SB did for its early levelling experience and hope they can bring something of that to Drk. I'm extremely curious how merging TP and MP will affect drk in particular, given its very specific playstyle since it's my main tank class as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCookieGod View Post
    I'll agree drk is the worst offender of "everything changes" post 60. Hopefully, it sees the same shine and attention that drg got in HW and mnk/sam got for SB with a good revamp. I really liked what the revamping for Paladin post-SB did for its early levelling experience and hope they can bring something of that to Drk. I'm extremely curious how merging TP and MP will affect drk in particular, given its very specific playstyle since it's my main tank class as well.
    Yoshi-P basically said since DRK is the iconic class for Shadowbringers it will definitely be getting some love, on top of whatever design changes were already slated due to the MP/TP revamp. DRK is likely to be getting an overhaul.

I won't complain, so long as it's still fun. DRK is my main tanking class as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking forward to the storyline more then rework for DRK same with most of the other jobs I just love how lots of jobs both combat and Hand/Land interact with each other and reference things like "ohh hey, whatcha doing making plants now? you're multi talented definitely"

MIN and BTN in SB for example that kinda stuff.

Or when you lvl RDM you interact with the BLM npcs and can get extra dialogue because of that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugna View Post
    I'm looking forward to the storyline more then rework for DRK same with most of the other jobs I just love how lots of jobs both combat and Hand/Land interact with each other and reference things like "ohh hey, whatcha doing making plants now? you're multi talented definitely"

MIN and BTN in SB for example that kinda stuff.

Or when you lvl RDM you interact with the BLM npcs and can get extra dialogue because of that.
    Or how estinien already knows you if you leveled drg when he gets introduced in the MSQ.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"