1. #44521
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I honestly enjoyed MCH from 60-70, or at least ~64?-70 when you get the enhanced, "hot" version of the shots and legit manage your heat. I still don't like the random shot enhancement procs, but the new animations and heat management make the job a lot more satisfying and interesting to play than it was previously. I couldn't stand it in Heavensward.
    I wonder if they'll do anything with it at max... I know one of the main things people hate about mch is.... do a rotation do a rotation AHHHH OVERHEAT PRESS ALL THE BUTTONS IN A PERFECT SEQUENCE BUT YOU ONLY HAVE 10 SECONDS do a rotation do a rotation, repeat.

  2. #44522
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    A lot of the people asking for Viera men to be added legitimately disgust me and I wish I could say more to counter them on the official forum without getting banned. I hope Yoshi-P doesn't appease them and instead adds Viera men that look like muscular adults if the gender lock is ever removed. Japan in general has started to - thankfully - move away from certain aesthetics, so I don't see a hugely successful game like FFXIV resorting to adding what those players desire. If they ever were added, I'd likely quit.
    I'm not sure how Square Enix could appease the people who want male Viera. Whenever I go into threads asking for male Viera, it appears that everyone has a different idea in their head. Some people want cute little bunny boys like moogles from XII, while others appear to just want male Miq'ote with bunny ears, while others want something cool and sleak, so even if they picked one design, they might leave fans of another design unsatisfied.

    Granblue Fantasy has a few cool looking male Erune characters.

    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2019-03-25 at 04:59 PM.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  3. #44523
    The real travesty is that FFXIV will go down in history as yet another MMO that did not give me a playable fox race. For a bit, I thought WoW was going to beat 'em to the punch, but it's looking more likely that theirs will remain an NPC race after all.

    So far Vanguard is the only MMO that had the option. Sadly, Vanguard wanted to fly immediately into the sun from the get go and was doomed from the start.

    Gimme a fox tailed race, demmit.

    Additionally, I wish they'd go back and recode the fox ears from the FATE to work like the wolf ears from Halloween. Miqo look ridiculous wearing the fox ears and having 4 ears as a result while everyone else can actually wear 'em and look reasonable. T-T

  4. #44524
    Rewatching/reading the Lore about the Crystal Tower in the inn before the big finale tomorrow because I don't remember shit from it.

  5. #44525
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Balthier on the other hand is charming, a master of witty repartee and all wrapped up in a Han Solo package. He embodies about what 3/5ths of the internet wish they were, in other words. He's got more broad character appeal rather than just pure sex appeal. It's why I figure he'll be along at some point in the story, FF14 hasn't ever really had a character like him.
    Thancred kind of fills that role, though he's more Lando than Han. He's at least witty and charming, just not as gritty and swashbuckler-y.

  6. #44526
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I honestly enjoyed MCH from 60-70, or at least ~64?-70 when you get the enhanced, "hot" version of the shots and legit manage your heat. I still don't like the random shot enhancement procs, but the new animations and heat management make the job a lot more satisfying and interesting to play than it was previously. I couldn't stand it in Heavensward.
    Mine is currently only in the 40's, and the job is absolutely awful to play. I've never held "it gets better at end game" to be a reasonable argument in it's favour - Having to slog through a broken mess to get to the "good" part of a job is just terrible for the player.

    I've always maintained that a Job, Class or whatever nomenclature your game decides to go with, should be fun right from the off. It should sell you on the premise by the time you're, say... Level 10 at the latest. It's where FF14's more modular design lets it down, the Jobs get mechanics added on in "stages" as you complete the expansions rather than making the important abilities available earlier on for a more cohesive experience.

    I'm hoping they choose to revisit that too in Shadowbringers. Making jobs that are fun and playable at all levels should be a priority, especially when you'll be doing roulettes and can lose key abilities as a result.

    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Granblue Fantasy has a few cool looking male Erune characters.
    On that note, I'm quite looking forwards to seeing what ArcSys can do with Granblue Fantasy Versus later this year. Lowain has already been confirmed, probably with more Fox-boys to follow later on.

    And yes, I'm prepared for the inevitable BlazBlue/Granblue crossover, with Arcana Heart and Jaune from RWBY thrown in as guest characters from lootboxes, of course. Cygames tend to take monetisation to the absolute extreme, even for mobile games.

  7. #44527
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I wonder if they'll do anything with it at max... I know one of the main things people hate about mch is.... do a rotation do a rotation AHHHH OVERHEAT PRESS ALL THE BUTTONS IN A PERFECT SEQUENCE BUT YOU ONLY HAVE 10 SECONDS do a rotation do a rotation, repeat.
    I don't remember that being the case with the rotation. Granted, I didn't play it seriously or try to min max performance, but is purposely overheating a thing? I'd expect that properly managing your heat would be more beneficial because once you overheat, you get that 10 second buffed window followed by 10 seconds of no Gauss Barrel and no increased ability potency or heat generation whatsoever. That would feel clunky AF to me.

    As it worked at max, I thought it was rather elegant, but more importantly to me, was that the abilities were satisfying to use. The visual and sound effect felt good and were quite appealing.

    I just couldn't choose to play MCH over my RDM though. RDM just feels so much better to me with all the utility it has. Now that I can't stand SMN game play, RDM is my new main I think. Will have to wait and see how DNC ends up measuring up.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Mine is currently only in the 40's, and the job is absolutely awful to play. I've never held "it gets better at end game" to be a reasonable argument in it's favour - Having to slog through a broken mess to get to the "good" part of a job is just terrible for the player.

    I've always maintained that a Job, Class or whatever nomenclature your game decides to go with, should be fun right from the off. It should sell you on the premise by the time you're, say... Level 10 at the latest. It's where FF14's more modular design lets it down, the Jobs get mechanics added on in "stages" as you complete the expansions rather than making the important abilities available earlier on for a more cohesive experience.

    I'm hoping they choose to revisit that too in Shadowbringers. Making jobs that are fun and playable at all levels should be a priority, especially when you'll be doing roulettes and can lose key abilities as a result.
    Complete agree on the concept. FFXIV suffers heavily from this. The classes/jobs feel severely lacking at lower levels. However, I can say with certainty that every job DOES get better as you get higher level. I have all but DRG and NIN at 70, but even they are 62 and 60 respectively. Everything gets a more fleshed out kit as you level and things mesh well (though the design across classes is pretty similar) and you feel more active in battle. You just have to get all the synergistic abilities, which really sucks, because some don't get those until WAY late.

    This is one area where FFXIV could do better. I understand they're trying to introduce mechanics slowly, and space out abilities so that you don't have too many, but the core game play of some classes changes multiple times as you level up, which is ridiculous.

    Hopefully this is something that gets addressed in the combat update. The core game play of a class should get introduced relatively early with any new skills just adding to it, not fundamentally changing how you play the class. Black Mage was one of my most hated classes to level because of how differently it okays depending on what level you are/ what dungeon you get synced to.

  8. #44528
    IMO biggest change for DRG is Lance Mastery, it makes rotation much smoother. Mirage Dive and BotD/LotD can go die in the fire though, especially on bosses that love to fly around for a minute doing pretty much nothing, while you are looking at ticking timer and shout "Just fucking land".
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  9. #44529
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    IMO biggest change for DRG is Lance Mastery, it makes rotation much smoother. Mirage Dive and BotD/LotD can go die in the fire though, especially on bosses that love to fly around for a minute doing pretty much nothing, while you are looking at ticking timer and shout "Just fucking land".
    Yup. If they're going to continue to implement encounters with mechanics like this, why the fuck do they keep creating classes with skills and rotations that so heavily rely on shit like this. DRG isn't the only one that has this problem.

  10. #44530
    Completely abandoned WoW to give FF 14 a go. Been playing for the past 2 weeks, with a kind fella giving me Heaven and Blood for free -- kinda overwhelmed with the amount of things to do.

    Thoroughly enjoying it though.

  11. #44531
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Completely abandoned WoW to give FF 14 a go. Been playing for the past 2 weeks, with a kind fella giving me Heaven and Blood for free -- kinda overwhelmed with the amount of things to do.

    Thoroughly enjoying it though.
    Glad you're enjoying it! Give the Gold Saucer a go if you haven't already

    Quick tip: You can easily acquire great level 50/60/70 gear by simply queuing for your daily Frontline challenge (unlocked at level 30), which is a fun ten minute long PvP battleground. You're guaranteed 1000 PvP marks win or lose, and it only costs about 10k marks to fully gear yourself. The moment I dinged 50 on my Dragoon, I ported straight to the Wolves Den and bought myself a full set of 110 gear.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2019-03-25 at 07:01 PM.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  12. #44532
    Scarab Lord Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    4,367
    Don't really need to do that, unless you really want to. Lv50/60/70 job quests give you gear, plus the post msq for arr and hw also give you gear. sb post msq will give gear when shadowbringers launches. Not to mention that stormblood's pvp gear is lvl 1 glamour stuff so that's not an option for lvl 70.
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2019-03-25 at 07:49 PM.

  13. #44533
    Without going too crazy in depth, yes, to get the best dps you are on an overheat rotation, with wildfire

  14. #44534
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Without going too crazy in depth, yes, to get the best dps you are on an overheat rotation, with wildfire
    Timed with certain phases of the fight I'm assuming? Or just timing your Overheat window with Wildfire and other cooldowns to give a 10 second window of crazy burst, followed by a 10 second window of sub par DPS? If that's the math, that's how it works, but that sounds awful to play as IMO.

    That's part of why I stopped playing SMN even though I love the aesthetic and the overall gameplay, because of how heavily the entire class leans on that ~15 second window with Bahamut that takes 90 seconds, at best, to reach. I just can't play a class with mechanics built like that in a game where most of the boss encounters have windows of invulnerability that render that amazing game play cooldown completely useless or pointless.

    Another reason I really enjoy RDM.

  15. #44535
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Yup. If they're going to continue to implement encounters with mechanics like this, why the fuck do they keep creating classes with skills and rotations that so heavily rely on shit like this. DRG isn't the only one that has this problem.
    At the very least I want skills like Heavy Thrust removed and the damage baked into the job. Skills like that serve no purpose in a rotation outside having a button just for the sake of having a button.

  16. #44536
    Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    At the very least I want skills like Heavy Thrust removed and the damage baked into the job. Skills like that serve no purpose in a rotation outside having a button just for the sake of having a button.
    They should bake that damage into Vorpal Thrust or Full Thrust, just like the DoT is baked into Chaos Thrust. Single one-off abilities like that, that are only used to apply a buff or debuff every 30 seconds, should just be baked into other abilities.

  17. #44537
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,059
    Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    At the very least I want skills like Heavy Thrust removed and the damage baked into the job. Skills like that serve no purpose in a rotation outside having a button just for the sake of having a button.
    Leveling DRG right now, definitely the most annoying skill and the one I forget most. It just doesn't fit. Stands out like a sore thumb.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Timed with certain phases of the fight I'm assuming? Or just timing your Overheat window with Wildfire and other cooldowns to give a 10 second window of crazy burst, followed by a 10 second window of sub par DPS? If that's the math, that's how it works, but that sounds awful to play as IMO.
    That's how I understood it. Kinda the way BM hunter used to be played.
    Yes, the class is absolutely hideous to play. Feels frantic, disorganized... and way too RNG influenced.

  18. #44538
    This may be a bit odd but one of the things I really hope for...is a good paladin story this time around.

    In ARR, it was decent. Not great but not bad. It was interesting that we didn't get the sword back but the moral of the story was that the sword didn't really matter.

    Then come HW apparantly the sword does matter, enough so that the same guy fakes his death in a weird and convoluted plot not to get the sword back, that happened off screen, but to get it to glow again?

    Then come SB and...it's a tournament arc with 0 stakes. As a GLADIATOR story it was okay I guess and fun to see the gladiator characters again, but as a paladin story it fell flat.

    I really hope in ShB we get to go out and do some good, maybe get up to some knight errantry helping people. Do some actual good, help somebody, not run around with our thumbs up our asses not accomplishing anything.

  19. #44539
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Timed with certain phases of the fight I'm assuming? Or just timing your Overheat window with Wildfire and other cooldowns to give a 10 second window of crazy burst, followed by a 10 second window of sub par DPS? If that's the math, that's how it works, but that sounds awful to play as IMO.

    That's part of why I stopped playing SMN even though I love the aesthetic and the overall gameplay, because of how heavily the entire class leans on that ~15 second window with Bahamut that takes 90 seconds, at best, to reach. I just can't play a class with mechanics built like that in a game where most of the boss encounters have windows of invulnerability that render that amazing game play cooldown completely useless or pointless.

    Another reason I really enjoy RDM.
    You TRY to line it up with things, but it's basically a frantic 10 seconds with 60 seconds of buildup, constantly, throughout the whole fight, it's why you don't see many MCH.

  20. #44540
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    IMO biggest change for DRG is Lance Mastery, it makes rotation much smoother. Mirage Dive and BotD/LotD can go die in the fire though, especially on bosses that love to fly around for a minute doing pretty much nothing, while you are looking at ticking timer and shout "Just fucking land".
    i dont get why botd even has a timer still. you should just be able to hold your eyes infinitely like samurai's combo points, and only have a timer when you go into nastrond mode.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •