Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Leveling DRG right now, definitely the most annoying skill and the one I forget most. It just doesn't fit. Stands out like a sore thumb.
    Agree, it just doesn't fit into the rotation at all, which I guess is kind of the point as it's a thing you have to pay attention to for refreshing....I really wish they'd get rid of their obsession with that kind of crap. Why does almost every single DPS class have some kind of buff or debuff to track for maximizing DPS. Again, the only one I can think of that doesn't is RDM, lol, yet another reason I love the class so much.

Why can't classes just be about the rotation/ abilities themselves?

That's how I understood it. Kinda the way BM hunter used to be played.
    Yes, the class is absolutely hideous to play. Feels frantic, disorganized... and way too RNG influenced.
    I agree with how RNG it feels, doesn't feel great, but it was tolerable given how quickly the reload/ quick reload abilities are off cooldown. I honestly REALLY just liked the visual and audio effects for the "hot" abilities, they felt satisfying to use. But If the game play is built around purposely overheating and then scrambling to get stuff done in that window, that's awful.

I prefer smooth game play, not a lot of clunkyness, maybe a proc here and there. I really liked Bard, Summoner standard rotation (can't stand how reliant it is on Bahamut ability though), and of course Red Mage. Samurai isn't bad either, as it's pretty smooth and consistent, I just typically prefer ranged classes because of how frantic melee DPS in encounters can be due to dodging PBAoE's and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    You TRY to line it up with things, but it's basically a frantic 10 seconds with 60 seconds of buildup, constantly, throughout the whole fight, it's why you don't see many MCH.
    Yeah that sounds terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    i dont get why botd even has a timer still. you should just be able to hold your eyes infinitely like samurai's combo points, and only have a timer when you go into nastrond mode.
    The only point of timer is difference between two or three Nastronds depending on how you maintained rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Agree, it just doesn't fit into the rotation at all, which I guess is kind of the point as it's a thing you have to pay attention to for refreshing....I really wish they'd get rid of their obsession with that kind of crap. Why does almost every single DPS class have some kind of buff or debuff to track for maximizing DPS. Again, the only one I can think of that doesn't is RDM, lol, yet another reason I love the class so much.

With Lance Mastery you just refresh Heavy Thrust after your two combos, so it doesn't really stand out that much. I agree on the rest of your post though, if the game has some buff or debuff you are expected to maintain 100% of the time, what's even the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    With Lance Mastery you just refresh Heavy Thrust after your two combos, so it doesn't really stand out that much. I agree on the rest of your post though, if the game has some buff or debuff you are expected to maintain 100% of the time, what's even the point?
    To create a dps gap between people who maintain it and the ones who don't ?

Why does almost every single DPS class have some kind of buff or debuff to track for maximizing DPS. Again, the only one I can think of that doesn't is RDM, lol, yet another reason I love the class so much.

Probably balancing reasons.
    Classes are ridiculously similar in this game (like every class has a +% you need to keep up, every class has some kind of DoT etc... and that makes it easier to balance.

Another reason I really enjoy RDM.
    I really hope RDM is the standard to which they make future classes (at least from a DPS perspective). In terms of damage rotation. It's the right amount of rotation + randomness, with a satisfying set of finishers that don't take two minutes to set up.

Servers are up for anybody following this thread. New MSQ and everything
    Patch notes

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    A lot of the people asking for Viera men to be added legitimately disgust me and I wish I could say more to counter them on the official forum without getting banned. I hope Yoshi-P doesn't appease them and instead adds Viera men that look like muscular adults if the gender lock is ever removed. Japan in general has started to - thankfully - move away from certain aesthetics, so I don't see a hugely successful game like FFXIV resorting to adding what those players desire. If they ever were added, I'd likely quit.
    Honestly I'd prefer if they were effeminate (relatively) speaking male, not because of any fetish but because it'd be a better contrast to typical stereotype. Like Granyala said, a reverse to the Au Ra would be more unique as opposed to more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I agree on the rest of your post though, if the game has some buff or debuff you are expected to maintain 100% of the time, what's even the point?
    There can be some interesting play in these types of things. Like a WoW Rogues Slice and Dice (Or roll the bones, whatever it is now) buff, where the play is in keeping the buff running while also using your combo points on your other finishers. That creates an interesting dynamic, where you've got to decide if you've got enough time to build combo points for another finisher, should pool your energy and wait for your current Slice and Dice to run out to recast, or as in previous expansions, use a finisher with less than 5 points so as not to waste your combo points.

Obviously that example relies on other core class mechanics to make it work, but having those mechanics tied to an important buff makes it an interesting and crucial part of your gameplay. Simple maintainance buffs/debuffs can be an important part of the overall package.

The problem FF14 has is that not many of it's Jobs have their own unique mechanics, most usually have unique gimicks, but not actual mechanical differences. The only way they can really add these kinds of buffs is as "Press this button once every 30 seconds" type skills. That doesn't make for an interesting decision regarding how you're going to allocate your resources the same way Combo Points and Energy do, it reduces the play around the ability to pressing it pre-determined intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    To create a dps gap between people who maintain it and the ones who don't ?
    While a fair point, if that's the ONLY reason, that's a pretty terrible reason IMO. If they have to have something like this for whatever reason, at least make it interesting to use. As it is now, it's an annoying upkeep type of ability that only ever gets used to keep the buff up, that's not interesting or fun IMO. The effect and positional requirement could easily be baked into Vorpal Thrust or Heavy Thrust and game play would hardly change at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Probably balancing reasons.
    Classes are ridiculously similar in this game (like every class has a +% you need to keep up, every class has some kind of DoT etc... and that makes it easier to balance.
    This may be a stupid question, but why couldn't they just balance a class around NOT having something like that to upkeep? Or would that just skew the DPS because that class would outperform everything else because of it's lack of upkeep, because it's "easier" than the others that do have an upkeep mechanic?

I really do hope SE gets away from that style of class design, everything is far too similar. The only two I ever felt stood out as a bit different were RDM and SAM. RDM has no upkeep mechanic of any kind and SAM upkeep flows naturally as you do your rotation. Everything else requires you to pay attention and use an ability or skill chain you wouldn't normally use to maintain a buff/debuff.

The classes still feel fine, it's just so obvious how similar they are in their design with these maintenance/upkeep mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    I really hope RDM is the standard to which they make future classes (at least from a DPS perspective). In terms of damage rotation. It's the right amount of rotation + randomness, with a satisfying set of finishers that don't take two minutes to set up.
    Agreed, I just really like how straight forward it is to play and how much utility it has. The dualcast mechanic just clicked with me and I love it. I can't even count how many wipes I've prevented or clutch saves I've done with RDM and it's heals and resurrection along with it's Mana Shift ability to give healers mana as they get rezzed. Plus, I really like their aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    There can be some interesting play in these types of things. Like a WoW Rogues Slice and Dice (Or roll the bones, whatever it is now) buff, where the play is in keeping the buff running while also using your combo points on your other finishers. That creates an interesting dynamic, where you've got to decide if you've got enough time to build combo points for another finisher, should pool your energy and wait for your current Slice and Dice to run out to recast, or as in previous expansions, use a finisher with less than 5 points so as not to waste your combo points.

Obviously that example relies on other core class mechanics to make it work, but having those mechanics tied to an important buff makes it an interesting and crucial part of your gameplay. Simple maintainance buffs/debuffs can be an important part of the overall package.

The problem FF14 has is that not many of it's Jobs have their own unique mechanics, most usually have unique gimicks, but not actual mechanical differences. The only way they can really add these kinds of buffs is as "Press this button once every 30 seconds" type skills. That doesn't make for an interesting decision regarding how you're going to allocate your resources the same way Combo Points and Energy do, it reduces the play around the ability to pressing it pre-determined intervals.
    Agreed on all accounts, just want to add I think the other problem FFXIV has is that too many of the classes have the same mechanic. It doesn't even feel different between classes.

Having a buff to maintain is fine, it CAN be part of the core class mechanics, but not THE core class mechanic. However, having the buff/debuff be applied by a single button press that does nothing else is pretty boring. Your Rogue example is a good one, because it's a decision: spend combo points on buff refresh/maintenance or spend on another finisher? In FFXIV, some classes have the buff maintained by a combo, which isn't bad either, but if that's the only reason you ever do the combo, IMO, it's just a longer button press, it's not really a decision (insofar as the decision is binary: have DPS drop or put up the buff...the answer is obvious) and therefore uninteresting or fun, it FEELS like maintenance.

Samurai does it well I think, because the buffs/debuffs you maintain are applied naturally as you do your combos to build for the big hit (forget what the points and sword draw ability is called), so eve though you're maintaining them, it's not cumbersome and doesn't disrupt the flow of the class game play.

Again though, I don't think it would feel so bad if not every DPS class had something like this, but almost all do, with RDM being the only exception.

Boy the credits to the MSQ rolled real early this time, but the final shot makes me wonder Is he actually crazy, like multiple personality crazy?
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

Has anyone else put themselves on the waiting list for the Shadowbringers Physical Collector's Edition for PC? Been on it a couple weeks and am just wondering if anyone did it earlier and been notified of additional stock. Getting a bit anxious at this point since I haven't seen anything online or on the store page regarding replenishment happening at a certain time. I know there's plenty of time...just getting excited and want to have it ordered ASAP.

I know they're working on it, or at least assuming they are because this happened last year. I just haven't heard anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Boy the credits to the MSQ rolled real early this time, but the final shot makes me wonder Is he actually crazy, like multiple personality crazy?
    He's likely being possessed by Solus to sow the seeds of chaos against his will.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    He's likely being possessed by Solus to sow the seeds of chaos against his will.
    Tinfoil hat theory: The Garlean flag is one big joke, with two black things closing in around a white one its the third eye representing the puppet on the throne and the ascians around them, but in this case its more literal with the two bodyguards whispering in his ear like Xorne and Thorne in FFIX
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

Hildi : It was me, Greg!

MSQ : What is truly behind the mind of Creepy Daddy ? And ma boi Real!Zenos will stall Garlemald during our travel to the first shard, The Truest of Bro right here.
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2019-03-26 at 06:26 PM.

Yeah after the credits i was like "oh, they DID remember him!"

MSQ The ending of SB was anticlimatic and disappointing to say the least and we got nothing for the how or the why we're going to the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    MSQ The ending of SB was anticlimatic and disappointing to say the least and we got nothing for the how or the why we're going to the 1st.
    I may be remembering incorrectly, but I don't remember us (as the player character) knowing we'd be heading to Doma after Heavensward. All signs pointed to Ala Mhigo. The story may have hinted we MIGHT go there with the story with Gosetsu and Yugiri, but nothing in stone. The only reason we really knew about it was because of information being circulated about Stormblood showing us we would certainly go to Doma, but the MSQ didn't bring up us going to Doma until a little ways into the Stormblood MSQ. Again, as I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    I think thats why this one felt so short. In the last two there was an undetermined amount of time between turning the last quest in and when you got to ishgard or the war to free ala mihgo or sail to kugane began. By the looks of things Stormblood ends and you are straight up outside the location searching for the maguffin to 'throw wide the gates' immediately. Considering where we are going and how we are story wise going to be very separate from home this is the only way to do it and still have your character bumming around Eorzea for 3 months. In the future though its probably going to feel a lot more fluid while as time goes on i imagine going from ARR to HW must feel a lot more like a time skip or fast forward by comparison.

So apparently the FFXV event stuff has been datamined and the regalia is going to cost 200k MGP.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post

Also @Katchii

Speaking personally - I don't really think anything that qualifies as a maintenance buff as good design. Even if there's a binary choice associated. I look at something like DRG and I see Heavy Thrust. This is a pointless button. We all agree there, but there's still so much room for improvement (if the goal is engagement/depth). Jumps shouldn't be just bland DPS buttons to press on CD. Not only that, they should be used much more frequently and there should be methods to accrue, save, or dump them as necessary. That should be the DRGs main focus. Look at BotD. It doesn't even need to be a button anymore. Just make it a passive in combat.

I could go on, but the issue IMO is that it all stems back to encounter design. You can design jobs with more decision points/trees, but if encounters never utilize them, they're irrelevant (see half of each jobs kit). I honestly think the game needs a shift in design where the mechanics are much more varied and frequent with lower stakes.

Pushing a button should always allow you to do something you couldn't otherwise. Unlocking skills/abilities, resource management, utility/mobility. If it's a pointless number change that you cannot feel, it's a pointless button IMO.