Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    How's playing Ps4? read a few postive reviews but still curious. For whatever reason i dont get on my gaming PC much anymore so using the same account on each has some draw to it.
    PS4 Player here.

Plays just fine. Is uncapped upto 60 fps which means it can drop below 30 (and it will sometimes on a base model). But more than playable.
    Is crossplay with PC (you need separate keys for PC and PS4) so don't worry about people to play with.
    Plays just fine with a controller (PS4 has kb/mouse support too).

All in all it's fine basically. . You will not be hampered at all by playing on PS4.

I was talking with a friend. He is somewhat interested in playing, but does not want to do the 1-60 grind, especially after reading about the post ARR quests before Heavensward. I think the game would greatly be served by by a complete edition of the game after the new expansion releases, that includes a job and story boost and the previous 2 expansions. If story is that important, they can include a "story so far" bit that maybe plays all the skipped cinematics, though i'd argue the story is not that important for ARR, as i skipped from 30 to Heavensward and do not feel like i missed anything of any importance.

I only kept playing past the 30s by sheer determination, i bought the boost to 60 and the ARR MSQ skip, and played through Heavensward, and am now working through SB. I know a lot of people would not like the idea of buying the game, 2 expansions, and being told it will be one to two months before you can participate with friends, and i am sure that there is a non-negligible percentage of people that stop playing because of ARR.
    " PC- i7-7700k, MSI 1070, 16gig DDR4 @ 3200MHz, Samsung Evo Pro 850 @ 250gb, Adata SSD @ 250gb, Seagate Barracuda @ 1tb.

I also own all the consoles and enjoy all of them (except the Wii U, that is trash).
    Proud member of the Gaming MasterRace.

To be fair, you can't play with your friends 95% of the game anyway if you consider having to go through ARR as "not being able to play with them", what with the MSQ's frequent solo duties that you can't do while in a group.

And I'm fine with that, honestly. When I sell FF14 to friends, I tell them it's a singleplayer RPG trying to pretend it's an MMO with a better story and better gameplay than we've gotten from the mainstream Final Fantasy games in over a decade now - because that's what it is. It's why the devs made the cutscenes in Meridianum and Praet unskippable when they have been for years before that. I know there are some players that mash the skip button whenever they can, but anyone who does is depriving themselves of 14's most standout feature. Especially people who skip ARR's ending. =p

I'd rather see them double down on the game's storytelling before handing out free MSQ skips.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    I was talking with a friend. He is somewhat interested in playing, but does not want to do the 1-60 grind, especially after reading about the post ARR quests before Heavensward. I think the game would greatly be served by by a complete edition of the game after the new expansion releases, that includes a job and story boost and the previous 2 expansions. If story is that important, they can include a "story so far" bit that maybe plays all the skipped cinematics, though i'd argue the story is not that important for ARR, as i skipped from 30 to Heavensward and do not feel like i missed anything of any importance.

I only kept playing past the 30s by sheer determination, i bought the boost to 60 and the ARR MSQ skip, and played through Heavensward, and am now working through SB. I know a lot of people would not like the idea of buying the game, 2 expansions, and being told it will be one to two months before you can participate with friends, and i am sure that there is a non-negligible percentage of people that stop playing because of ARR.
    100% agreed. Story skip and level boosts should be standard with every expansion from here on out specifically for this reason. Even as someone who is a huge story lover, the barrier of entry, for players wanting to play with friends or simply to see the current content, is just WAY too high without them. Especially since one of the features of Shadowbringers is to be able to go back and replay story missions, so players who use the skips can go back and experience the story if they so choose.

I'd wager that's exactly WHY they're putting this feature into Shadowbringers. With this feature, a MSQ revamp isn't really necessary, so long as they will provide a skip and level boost voucher (so you can choose which class to boost) with the expansions moving forward.

1). How does the purchasing work/what version of the hame/dlc should I get once I decide that I want to buy/sub?
    2). What will get a solo player faster groups? Healer or tank? And what is the wait time difference between a healer/tank and a dps for dungeons/raids?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCookieGod View Post
    To be fair, you can't play with your friends 95% of the game anyway if you consider having to go through ARR as "not being able to play with them", what with the MSQ's frequent solo duties that you can't do while in a group.

And I'm fine with that, honestly. When I sell FF14 to friends, I tell them it's a singleplayer RPG trying to pretend it's an MMO with a better story and better gameplay than we've gotten from the mainstream Final Fantasy games in over a decade now - because that's what it is. It's why the devs made the cutscenes in Meridianum and Praet unskippable when they have been for years before that. I know there are some players that mash the skip button whenever they can, but anyone who does is depriving themselves of 14's most standout feature. Especially people who skip ARR's ending. =p

I'd rather see them double down on the game's storytelling before handing out free MSQ skips.
    The story was alright in ARR (i went and watched the recap videos that people recommend), but the gameplay of ARR is awful. The quests are slow and boil down largely to talk to X teleport talk to y teleport talk to x, that coupled with most classes have half the abilities they would have 50+ you have slow combat and slow quests. ARR would not stand on its own a standalone Single Player RPG with the stripped down combat and bare bones questing. Now yes, the duties and primal fights are fun, but they are the exception not the rules.

If the early experience was similar to that of Heavensward forward, i don't think this is a conversation that anyone would be having, but right now, ARR is more of a burden on the New Player experience then its worth. You also want New Players for sustainability.

Quote Originally Posted by Fid View Post
    1). How does the purchasing work/what version of the hame/dlc should I get once I decide that I want to buy/sub?
    2). What will get a solo player faster groups? Healer or tank? And what is the wait time difference between a healer/tank and a dps for dungeons/raids?
    Thanks.
    Tank and healers seem to be about the same speed in early levels. For some of the group content you have to do, it seems tanks are the last one to fill most of the time. DPS queue times range from 10-25 minutes typically from my experience.
    " PC- i7-7700k, MSI 1070, 16gig DDR4 @ 3200MHz, Samsung Evo Pro 850 @ 250gb, Adata SSD @ 250gb, Seagate Barracuda @ 1tb.

I also own all the consoles and enjoy all of them (except the Wii U, that is trash).

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    PS4 Player here.

Plays just fine. Is uncapped upto 60 fps which means it can drop below 30 (and it will sometimes on a base model). But more than playable.
    Is crossplay with PC (you need separate keys for PC and PS4) so don't worry about people to play with.
    Plays just fine with a controller (PS4 has kb/mouse support too).

All in all it's fine basically. . You will not be hampered at all by playing on PS4.
    thanks! i'm thinking of getting keys for my PS4 to link to my account so i can slack off on the couch and play some vs the PC all the time.
    Member:BFA Alpha, Member since 2/7/2018

making skipping the MSQ super easy and such just basically kills it all together, the deimportance in lvling in WoW is totally different from in FF14, in FF14 you do that MSQ once and thats it its only required once you don't have to keep redoing it to lvl or do anything else. But in WoW you have to relvl each class as a different toon all together from scratch both story and narrative wise thats why if somebody says "I want to skip lvling and get to endgame" on a alt in WoW its whatever you probably already done it. But basically once you make MSQ not needed or required or skippable it leads to people not doing certain content which makes que times for example horrendus for people wanting to play organically.

I'm all for quests like again kill 10/10 sprites being cut down to like 2/2 or 4/4 something really fast and just adjust the exp but i'm not for it all being skipped on a easy free basis, if you really super wish to skip the story you pay for it which makes the impact lessened massively.

Lvling alt jobs is already ridiculously easy even without exp boosts and now we have tons.
    Last edited by Dugna; 2019-04-24 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugna View Post
    But basically once you make MSQ not needed or required or skippable it leads to people not doing certain content which makes que times for example horrendus for people wanting to play organically.
    Considering Leveling and MSQ are very worth it, I don't think that will ever be a problem

making skipping the MSQ super easy and such just basically kills it all together, the deimportance in lvling in WoW is totally different from in FF14, in FF14 you do that MSQ once and thats it its only required once you don't have to keep redoing it to lvl or do anything else. But in WoW you have to relvl each class as a different toon all together from scratch both story and narrative wise thats why if somebody says "I want to skip lvling and get to endgame" on a alt in WoW its whatever you probably already done it. But basically once you make MSQ not needed or required or skippable it leads to people not doing certain content which makes que times for example horrendus for people wanting to play organically.

I'm all for quests like again kill 10/10 sprites being cut down to like 2/2 or 4/4 something really fast and just adjust the exp but i'm not for it all being skipped on a easy free basis, if you really super wish to skip the story you pay for it which makes the impact lessened massively.

Lvling alt jobs is already ridiculously easy even without exp boosts and now we have tons.
    If they did something to speed it up, that might be better, but honestly, the MSQ is probably 70% talking and teleporting, with 30% of it actually do combat stuff. So even what you suggest would barely touch the speed of it. There are quests that literally have you talk to one NPC, walk 5 feet, talk to another NPC, then teleport away and talk to another NPC, then return to the original, and they barely progress the story during this process. Heavensward did a much better job of cutting a lot of that out and SB seems to be even more streamlined, both of which are examples of how the game should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Considering Leveling and MSQ are very worth it, I don't think that will ever be a problem
    k lets say every new person who purchased SHB got a skip to atleast patch 4.0 or heck even patch 4.4, now lets say thats about maybe 200-300k people, thats about 200-300k people who will have no investment no interest in the content because they don't know the story, so when SHB comes out they will skip everything bitch that things take to long and that the MSQ is "tedious" or not know the simple mechs of how quests even work in FF14, even worse they will not know a single thing bout their class/job at all. I remember when blizzard started giving out free boosts with expacs it lead to tons of people feeling entitled to clear everything and do everything with no effort at all. its much better to lets say have 50-100k steady interested users then 500k people who play for one week or 2 and then ditch for months on end not even completing a thing

k lets say every new person who purchased SHB got a skip to atleast patch 4.0 or heck even patch 4.4, now lets say thats about maybe 200-300k people, thats about 200-300k people who will have no investment no interest in the content because they don't know the story, so when SHB comes out they will skip everything bitch that things take to long and that the MSQ is "tedious" or not know the simple mechs of how quests even work in FF14, even worse they will not know a single thing bout their class/job at all. I remember when blizzard started giving out free boosts with expacs it lead to tons of people feeling entitled to clear everything and do everything with no effort at all. its much better to lets say have 50-100k steady interested users then 500k people who play for one week or 2 and then ditch for months on end not even completing a thing
    You're not going to lose your already established player base by giving new players an easy way to skip 2.0. 2.0 is awful, I love XIV, but 2.0 is just bad.

I had to DRAG my wife through it kicking and screaming, she loves the game now but if I didn't do that she would have never been playing and excited for ShB now.

I think you are over stating a lot. For one, the only thing needing to be skipped is ARR MSQ. That would not skip your class quests as the ARR skip is separate of a job boost. ARR MSQ is dull, runs on really dated quest mechanics (compared to SB and HS) and lacks almost all character abilities due to them coming into play post 50. People would still be required to level 1-50, but would have the option of doing it in other ways, and at their speed. They will still be required to complete class quests. They would even be able to group with friends who want to do POTD with them to level. There are a lot of benefits to giving option ARR skips to new players. A player is not going to be lost in the game if they just skipped ARR.

I think you are over stating a lot. For one, the only thing needing to be skipped is ARR MSQ. That would not skip your class quests as the ARR skip is separate of a job boost. ARR MSQ is dull, runs on really dated quest mechanics (compared to SB and HS) and lacks almost all character abilities due to them coming into play post 50. People would still be required to level 1-50, but would have the option of doing it in other ways, and at their speed. They will still be required to complete class quests. They would even be able to group with friends who want to do POTD with them to level. There are a lot of benefits to giving option ARR skips to new players. A player is not going to be lost in the game if they just skipped ARR.
    Honestly I really don't have an issue with 1-50 quests, its the post 50 to HW quests that are awful... I've done them 3 times.

Honestly I really don't have an issue with 1-50 quests, its the post 50 to HW quests that are awful... I've done them 3 times.
    I went mostly braindead right about the 30-40 area, the quests were dull, and they took place in zones that were half my level, so i could not even work on fates during it.

I went mostly braindead right about the 30-40 area, the quests were dull, and they took place in zones that were half my level, so i could not even work on fates during it.
    That's an issue with the "road to 60" buff, usually around 30-40 and then mid 40s you're starved for quests.

That's an issue with the "road to 60" buff, usually around 30-40 and then mid 40s you're starved for quests.
    That could of been it. I was constantly 2 levels above the MSQ quests, but after i read about the POST ARR MSQ stuff before Heavensward, i said fuck it, boost to Heavensward and boosted a job, and i am loving the game now, and feel like i understand the relatively simple class i chose (Bard) so i do not feel like a detriment to group i participate in, actually the opposite if my recent commendations are anything.

so then lvling then just becomes potd and class quests? thats the problem I was talking about, thats fine for alt jobs but for your main you would just be playing nonengaing both gameplaywise and narratively for many lvls just because some quests require you to read. Also that 30-40 chunk aka the Titan questline is mostly kill 10/10 of something and less talking to people its what made it tedious in anyway. ARR to HW post story content is what made HW even high accalimed in the first place, that buildup leading to HW only for basically all of It to payoff heavily in HW itself is great. If you go from You're the WoL dealing with gareleans to suddenly fighting a dragonwar you have no investment in, it creates the same problem wow has where you go from killing boars for 15 lvls in durotar to fighting Deadmines npcs across the world with no context at all cept that they are a Red UI frame and you must kill Red.

I can't give a single shit about BFA lore for example, because of those reasons.

so then lvling then just becomes potd and class quests? thats the problem I was talking about, thats fine for alt jobs but for your main you would just be playing nonengaing both gameplaywise and narratively for many lvls just because some quests require you to read. Also that 30-40 chunk aka the Titan questline is mostly kill 10/10 of something and less talking to people its what made it tedious in anyway. ARR to HW post story content is what made HW even high accalimed in the first place, that buildup leading to HW only for basically all of It to payoff heavily in HW itself is great. If you go from You're the WoL dealing with gareleans to suddenly fighting a dragonwar you have no investment in, it creates the same problem wow has where you go from killing boars for 15 lvls in durotar to fighting Deadmines npcs across the world with no context at all cept that they are a Red UI frame and you must kill Red.

I can't give a single shit about BFA lore for example, because of those reasons.
    I feel like you are the only person on these forums, or anywhere else that feels the 2.00.-2.xx patches are high points. Everywhere i read said that 100+ quests between 2.0 to 3.0 is the longest slog in the game. I feel no disconnect with my character after skipping to Heavensward when i was previously at the point of getting Cid's memories. Honestly i like my character in this game as much as some of my 10+ year WoW characters. The story in ARR just isn't that good compared to later storytelling. I loved the dragon war in Heavensward and did not feel confused or diminished at all considering i skipped from 35 to Heavensward.

I can't give a single shit about BfA lore because it IS literal shit. The only good wow lore is from a long time ago, a lot of it prior to even WoW existing.