10+ Year Old Account
    Pleasantly surprised that they are including all previous expansion with this, shame i never really went to max level in the vanilla game. The premise of a gunbreaker (assuming we are talking about Squall inspired job here) is something that looks interesting if not just for nostalgia reasons looking back at FF8.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    I feel like if you're not playing FF14 for the story then you're doing something wrong.

Also the idea that non-combat scenarios are "boring and tedious." The best part of the game is the story.
    that is just an opinion you have. i dont give 2 shits about or for the story. I play to prog my character and raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Make sure you redeem the pre-order bonus though for those items, specifically the Aetheryte earring, it's a HUGE bonus to have 30% bonus xp for everything below level 70.

To those who may not know, the earring (and any other +xp bonus thing that is level locked) applies whenever you are below the required level, so you can equip it in dungeons/ raids when you're synced at or below the require level and you'll get the bonus even if your actual job level is higher.

As to the expansion code, there's been an official announcement from SE saying the codes are going out and you should expect to see it by the 5th. Don't panic if you don't have it today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...ly_access_and/
    Thank you i came home to 2nd code on my account and got both codes to work
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    that is just an opinion you have. i dont give 2 shits about or for the story. I play to prog my character and raid.
    Then you are playing the wrong game lol.

So i finished MSQ, did all the 4 man and trials.

Heres my quick summary and rating: Im giving Shadowbringer start 9.5/10

I think its their best launch to date. This is from the perspective from someone that primary tank and heal.

Highlight:

-Tank changes overall, a lot of people were crying before even trying it. I was on the side of thinking its for the best, lets be real no real tank used those tanking combo 99.9% of the time. We all stacked direct hit and crit. Had they done it without actually making all the tank rotation more like warrior then sure it would have sucked. But they did make everyone more like warrior, aka actually fun to play. The biggest winner here is the Paladin, since it was by far the most boring tank job to grace the game, boosting it to be more fun to play is the biggest upgrade. Paladin with an actualy aoe rotation, flash can forever stay in hell. Warrior, simply buffing Fellcleave even further at 80, the appropriate move, you dont change what works. DK, again a big winner here the rotation before was involved unlike paladin, but still no very fun. People where scared the managing mana aspect would be gone, but whats the point of managing mana when the result is not fun. So they did just that you manage your mana, but its actually give you bad ass results?

-Questing, their best and most smooth MSQ yet. I was never bored. If i was to nitpick. Some of the scripted fight, like the one where you control thancred are simply too long for no reason. Its the one thing they need to think about. Most of these fights the HP could be cut in half and youd lose nothing. Its one thing to have scripted fights with your own character in a dps race, but these scripted fights with NPC character you control with 4-5 ability dont need to be long, they are not a race either because you cant play well, its too restricted in gameplay. On the bright side they learned what i wish every MMO did. Your side quest for killing x and picking up x sucks, dont make them long. Well they learned it, every single side quest i took for xp was done under 2 minutes. They usually are close by the NPC, only require picking one or two things or killing one of two mobs.

-Music, its already one of the best thing about this game. But somehow Shadowbringer does even better?

Now youll wonder where i took out those 5 points.

-The healers, this is as shitty as i expected. They went reverse on what they should have done. White mage was the only shitty non involved healer. Now everyone is shitty like white mage yay? The claim that healer would need to heal more is also bogus. I leveled paladin first. I can literally keep myself alive on any pull or any boss if i want to, never saw a single healer mana drop under 40%. In short what im saying is that healers heal the same. All they did was remove the DPS and utility of the good healers and made everyone a 3 button class. If you play scholar, the time you need to heal is the same as before, except unlike before where you could multidot pull and you know contribute to dps. You are just standing there spamming art of war. So in short this turned into wow healing. Im expecting this will be patched eventually. This is just not a good move, people dont want to heal anymore because its shit. They need to go back to the drawing board and simply do what should have originally be done, made white mage as involved into their dps and utility as the other two healers, instead of bringing the two other healers that were fantastic down the white mage level. I guess an argument could be made, well mabye someone wants to heal wow style in ff14, ok sure. Then leave white mage to them as it was? Why should every healer main suffer for this plan to make every healer just white mages?
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-07-03 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    Then you are playing the wrong game lol.
    no, i am playing a great game. I love doing the end game content, savage fights, extremes, ultimates. Just like i loved raiding in wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    thats called dinner time sir.

35minutes of cutscenes, 15 of play
    Pretty much, aye.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    Wile raiding is fun and all, I will never be able to fathom how people can play out of context and not care for the world in an RPG.
    I mean the combat/gameplay in an MMO isn't that great and tends to be fairly repetitive.

So for people leveling Dancer and GNB and want a break from HoH, you can start doing fates in lakeland at 65. Lots of groups and you easily survive/contribute.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really irritated by level gating on the msq. I'd really like for it to someday be possible to level through the story alone. Do roulette daily? Check. Still 30 million xp to grind until I can get to the next part? Check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fucking server went down and now I have a queue of over 3,000 waiting for me despite being on all day. This is super annoying especially since I need to beat the MSQ before tomorrow when I'll be going back to a 70 hour a week job.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Really irritated by level gating on the msq. I'd really like for it to someday be possible to level through the story alone. Do roulette daily? Check. Still 30 million xp to grind until I can get to the next part? Check.
    It seems like each MSQ step is a half level and then I have to do some roulletes and fates to do the second half then go back to MSQ.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Fucking server went down and now I have a queue of over 3,000 waiting for me despite being on all day. This is super annoying especially since I need to beat the MSQ before tomorrow when I'll be going back to a 70 hour a week job.
    Yeh I just got into a queue and got boss down to 25% and then server went down. I'm going to the gym.

OK, which one of you WoW fanboys DDoS'ed the servers again?

I only wish I were kidding, but part of me thinks this is exactly what's going on.
    "That shit went down faster than a gold digger on a dying rich dude".

7+ Year Old Account
    This expansion...is like what WOD should've been. An alternate universe. Where things are similar but different. But the story MATTERS and there is CONSEQUENCE to the main world.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    So i finished MSQ, did all the 4 man and trials.

Heres my quick summary and rating: Im giving Shadowbringer start 9.5/10

I think its their best launch to date. This is from the perspective from someone that primary tank and heal.

Highlight:

-Tank changes overall, a lot of people were crying before even trying it. I was on the side of thinking its for the best, lets be real no real tank used those tanking combo 99.9% of the time. We all stacked direct hit and crit. Had they done it without actually making all the tank rotation more like warrior then sure it would have sucked. But they did make everyone more like warrior, aka actually fun to play. The biggest winner here is the Paladin, since it was by far the most boring tank job to grace the game, boosting it to be more fun to play is the biggest upgrade. Paladin with an actualy aoe rotation, flash can forever stay in hell. Warrior, simply buffing Fellcleave even further at 80, the appropriate move, you dont change what works. DK, again a big winner here the rotation before was involved unlike paladin, but still no very fun. People where scared the managing mana aspect would be gone, but whats the point of managing mana when the result is not fun. So they did just that you manage your mana, but its actually give you bad ass results?

-Questing, their best and most smooth MSQ yet. I was never bored. If i was to nitpick. Some of the scripted fight, like the one where you control thancred are simply too long for no reason. Its the one thing they need to think about. Most of these fights the HP could be cut in half and youd lose nothing. Its one thing to have scripted fights with your own character in a dps race, but these scripted fights with NPC character you control with 4-5 ability dont need to be long, they are not a race either because you cant play well, its too restricted in gameplay. On the bright side they learned what i wish every MMO did. Your side quest for killing x and picking up x sucks, dont make them long. Well they learned it, every single side quest i took for xp was done under 2 minutes. They usually are close by the NPC, only require picking one or two things or killing one of two mobs.

-Music, its already one of the best thing about this game. But somehow Shadowbringer does even better?

Now youll wonder where i took out those 5 points.

-The healers, this is as shitty as i expected. They went reverse on what they should have done. White mage was the only shitty non involved healer. Now everyone is shitty like white mage yay? The claim that healer would need to heal more is also bogus. I leveled paladin first. I can literally keep myself alive on any pull or any boss if i want to, never saw a single healer mana drop under 40%. In short what im saying is that healers heal the same. All they did was remove the DPS and utility of the good healers and made everyone a 3 button class. If you play scholar, the time you need to heal is the same as before, except unlike before where you could multidot pull and you know contribute to dps. You are just standing there spamming art of war. So in short this turned into wow healing. Im expecting this will be patched eventually. This is just not a good move, people dont want to heal anymore because its shit. They need to go back to the drawing board and simply do what should have originally be done, made white mage as involved into their dps and utility as the other two healers, instead of bringing the two other healers that were fantastic down the white mage level. I guess an argument could be made, well mabye someone wants to heal wow style in ff14, ok sure. Then leave white mage to them as it was? Why should every healer main suffer for this plan to make every healer just white mages?
    I'm a huge fan of using defensive cds to boost offensive dmg and dark knight's new tbn is exactly that. I freaking love it, it's tons of fun. I've been leveling astro purely through roulettes that give the clusters and so far it feels the same. My main is dancer and it's super fun, but it has the same issues as mch did at launch of hw. It's too dependent on rng to do good damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    UUh something is wrong then. You should not miss much xp after doing the randoms.

Hell I'm 80 now and still doing lv 79 MSQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Wile raiding is fun and all, I will never be able to fathom how people can play out of context and not care for the world in an RPG.
    I mean the combat/gameplay in an MMO isn't that great and tends to be fairly repetitive.
    You'd be surprised how many people do that. Not just in FF14, ESO, WoW, etc, but in RPGs in general, both MP and SP. Your avg gamer doesn't really care about all that story stuff beyond the surface level. And this trend can be seen everywhere, most people don't know and don't care about chars' origins, overall story, and so on when they watch a Marvel/DC/other hero movie, fun and action is all they care about.

It's one of the reasons why there's such a huge emphasis on VO and turning stuff RPGs pretty much interactive movies, it even gets people who cba involved to a certain extent, but even then there's still plenty of people who just don't care and skip all the cutscenes and so on. They just play the game for its mechanics and systems.

So there's plenty of people who're playing your favourite RPGs, but don't know pretty much anything about or care about their lore.
    Last edited by ls-; 2019-07-04 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    healers, this is as shitty as i expected. They went reverse on what they should have done. White mage was the only shitty non involved healer. Now everyone is shitty like white mage yay? The claim that healer would need to heal more is also bogus. I leveled paladin first. I can literally keep myself alive on any pull or any boss if i want to, never saw a single healer mana drop under 40%. In short what im saying is that healers heal the same. All they did was remove the DPS and utility of the good healers and made everyone a 3 button class. If you play scholar, the time you need to heal is the same as before, except unlike before where you could multidot pull and you know contribute to dps. You are just standing there spamming art of war. So in short this turned into wow healing. Im expecting this will be patched eventually. This is just not a good move, people dont want to heal anymore because its shit. They need to go back to the drawing board and simply do what should have originally be done, made white mage as involved into their dps and utility as the other two healers, instead of bringing the two other healers that were fantastic down the white mage level. I guess an argument could be made, well mabye someone wants to heal wow style in ff14, ok sure. Then leave white mage to them as it was? Why should every healer main suffer for this plan to make every healer just white mages?
    As I have not really done much of the trails outside of what was needed for the MSQ Im still liking my AST. Our DPS has not changed we still have our old tool kit (combust then melif spam if possible). Just our card system has changed.
    The first few levels and instances it took me a bit to get the hang of what cards were 'ranged' and what cards were 'melee'. After that then it was seals. But I gotten to the point where im gonna put a card out no matter what seal it is. Just have to watch group comp. If I have a melee and ranged DPS I would want to put the proper cards on them. If not then screw it you get what I pull.

almost at 80
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    You'd be surprised how many people do that. Not just in FF14, ESO, WoW, etc, but in RPGs in general, both MP and SP. Your avg gamer doesn't really care about all that story stuff beyond the surface level. And this trend can be seen everywhere, most people don't know and don't care about chars' origins, overall story, and so on when they watch a Marvel/DC/other hero movie, fun and action is all they care about.

It's one of the reasons why there's such a huge emphasis on VO and turning stuff RPGs pretty much interactive movies, it even gets people who cba involved to a certain extent, but even then there's still plenty of people who just don't care and skip all the cutscenes and so on. They just play the game for its mechanics and systems.

So there's plenty of people who're playing your favourite RPGs, but don't know pretty much anything about or care about their lore.
    I can kind of see that. It reminds me of when I was watching a video game review program (Which has been cancelled for a few years now) here in Australia called Good Game, and one of the hosts was reviewing an RPG (I forget which one) and one of the criticisms he had was "Having to read so much stuff" and he went on to talk about how he just wanted to get on with the game.
    I cringed (And still feel it was a bit of a stupid thing to say, like wondering why you have to shoot people when you choose to play a shoot 'em up), but yea, I can see how players like that are out there.

Still...it seems crazy to me that somebody would be completely ignorant of the lore and story of a game like this, but do end game raids. You'd basically have to force yourself to ignore anything that wasn't gameplay related...and that really seems like it'd be MORE effort...I'd imagine such a person would also be causing wipes, because I just couldn't see someone having no info on basic stuff about world and lore or even just why they're in the raid/dungeon, even if it's just from the location, mobs and even stuff like NPC/mob voice acting. (Hell, sometimes even just the basic mechanics of a raid boss have a little bit of lore built into them)
    Last edited by Icaras; 2019-07-04 at 01:55 PM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I can kind of see that. It reminds me of when I was watching a video game review program (Which has been cancelled for a few years now) here in Australia called Good Game, and one of the hosts was reviewing an RPG (I forget which one) and one of the criticisms he had was "Having to read so much stuff" and he went on to talk about how he just wanted to get on with the game.
    I cringed (And still feel it was a bit of a stupid thing to say, like wondering why you have to shoot people when you choose to play a shoot 'em up), but yea, I can see how players like that are out there.

Still...it seems crazy to me that somebody would be completely ignorant of the lore and story of a game like this, but does end game raids. You'd basically have to force yourself to ignore anything that wasn't gameplay related...and that really seems like it'd be MORE effort...id' imagine such a person would also be causing wipes, because I just couldn't see someone at least having a basic idea of the world and lore and why they're in a raid/dungeons just from the location, mobs and even stuff like NPC/mob voice acting.
    It seems crazy to you, but they're everywhere. There's plenty of raiders in WoW, even among big streamers and/or WF raiders, who have no idea whatsoever who a boss they're fighting is in the lore, it's just a big bad #12345 they need to kill. It's unnecessary knowledge for them, game mechanics, as in boss' abilities, and lore are completely unrelated. Lore may explain why a boss has such and such abilities, but that's about it, what raiders need is raw data, what exactly a boss uses, how much dmg those abilities do, phases, etc. Lore doesn't really explain that a boss uses X ability every Y seconds that deals Z damage, and said ability should be either absorbed, or avoided, or whatever. So it's just some fluff that can be ignored. And even if it does explain such things, quite often it's too ambiguous and/or watered down, a proper boss guide does a much better job.
    Last edited by ls-; 2019-07-04 at 02:03 PM.