Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    This says more about quests than it does about FATEs.

It should not take the entire MSQ for your level, several dungeons, and 30 fates to level once. Side quest XP is also terrible, worse than FATEs, and should also be buffed. Side quests are entirely not worth the effort in FFXIV unless they reward a unique emote.
    I agree with side quests. While you can finish an entire zone of side quests in little under half an hour it's still not that much exp. I did all the side quests in Kholusia on my Bard and I think I only got around 40% of my whole level. I doubt I'd even get three levels if I did all the zones on a single job. They really need to at least increase it by 50% or make quests benefit from the armoury bonus.

Fates I'm mostly fine with. The only change I'd probably want is to make bonus exp and forlorn spawns a bit more frequent.

Having said all that... both me and all my friends only did the occasional roulette plus some fates along the way between quest objectives. I don't understand where this "several dungeons plus a crap ton of fates to level once" comes from. Heck one friend was two levels ahead of the MSQ because every day he did leveling plus alliance.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2019-07-08 at 09:15 AM.

I did the main scenario duty roulette once per day, other than that I just did enough fates to get to rank 2 of every zone for the speed increase, and I never once hit a level wall.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you ask me, the cost and fate rank for the speed increase is way too high.
    By the time I managed to snag 6 fates I was almost done with the zone anyway (I always got flight attunement right after the MSQ quest that gave the Aeother thingy).

Waste of perfectly good crystals, if you ask me.

Well we have another 2 years of the expansion where you will undoubtedly be returning to those zones, as well as if you just want to keep playing in the current time post-MSQ. Plus it gives you some exp to avoid hitting a level wall.

Not really a reason to NOT do them. Especially with how much exp fates give now.

Plus I want those pets from Rank 3.

People are reporting that if you just do FATES to get the 60 needed to hit rank 3 in each zone as a 70 job, you can get all the way to 80 on those alone.

So there's also that.
    Last edited by Yoshingo; 2019-07-08 at 02:33 PM.

It should not take the entire MSQ for your level, several dungeons, and 30 fates to level once. Side quest XP is also terrible, worse than FATEs, and should also be buffed. Side quests are entirely not worth the effort in FFXIV unless they reward a unique emote.
    People are certainly doing things wrong.

I still have *all* (with the execption of maybe ~10 when I wanted to try them out again) sidequests available, I am still sub Fate Rank 3 (and only did rank 2 recently in some zones) and I have 2 lvl 80 characters.

The leveling process was a joke compared to how I remembered it in the other addons.

I agree with sidequests being bad and dumb if you are looking for XP.... but it's not like you need them to get enough XP for level ups.
    Main Scenario roulettes grants ~13m XP for example... and you need like 23(?) to get from 79 to 80?
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-07-08 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys, Ill look into it more in a few when I wake up some lol.

Also question and it may be a dumb one but, Is there a tank spec that plays more like a Prot Paladin now?

Dark Knight was ok-ish for me before but did they make holding argo and all much easier? I wouldn't mind a "Tanking for dummies" class lol.
    I'd say the simplest tank is Paladin, though Warrior comes close, but none of them are THAT complicated. As with any of the classes, they just take a little getting used to if they have more abilities to use.

They basically got rid of aggro management, so all tanks need to do now is stay in tank stance and make sure they hit the mobs with a couple abilities and not tunnel vision on one.

In short.

Pro Paladin was, Throw out my shield to grab the group then AOE to keep argo. Use Def cooldown's when Needed. I can't remember how Dark Knight played before but I may check it out.

I'm just kinda looking for something I enjoy that is also simple. Wouldn't mind a simple tank cause of que times.
    If you're looking for short queue times, Healer is your best bet, as tank queues for some of the roulettes is pretty long. DPS queues are normal.

Honestly each class I look at seems a bit overwhelming.

Its here is a bunch of ability's now learn all of them and their order. Even RDM feels that way to me, kinda wish it started at level 1 so I could just get use to it as I go and not be handled a lot of stuff at once.

Considered SAM as well and after looking at this I just said nope cause all of it went over my head lol.
    https://i.imgur.com/DVnJ2BD.png

Just trying to find something that doesn't feel overwhelming at the start, I'm likely overreacting a bit I admit.
    All classes just have a lot of abilities, but they flow really easily once you get used to it. I get what you mean about getting thrown into the deep end of the pool though.

As dull as it seems, taking a little time to read the tool tips helps a lot. Once you get the hang of how abilities are meant to flow together it makes setting up your bars a lot easier and once your bars are set up, things get WAY smoother.

For DPS, I still say stick with Red Mage.

The casting rhythm is ALWAYS 2 second cast (Jolt/JoltII, Verstone or Verfire for ST, and Verthunder 2 or Veraera II for AoE)-> instant cast of a 4.5 second cast spell (Verthunder or Veraero for ST and Scatter/Impact for AoE). Switch back and forth using the spells that build up the mana you have less of until you reach minimum of 80/80 (though you want one to be higher than the other). Once you have 80/80 you use the charge ability (Corp-a-corp) to get in close, do the 3 part melee combo then use Displacement to get out and the hit either Flare or Holy (once you reach 70 that is, as you don't get both in your kit until 70), as both are instant cast. The one you cast is based on which of your black/white mana is lower, You cast Holy if White is lower, and Flare if Black is lower as doing so give you an automatic proc of Verstone ready or Verfire ready to make getting to 80/80 faster next time.

If all you're doing is questing to level up during the MSQ, you're doing it wrong IMO. If you do roulettes as you're questing you'll be fine. I did 50/60/70, Leveling, Main Story and Alliance Raid roulette every day while leveling and never had an issue. If you're worried about the queue popping mid cutscene, just accept the queue and don't exit or skip the cutscene. If you get into the dungeon/raid during the cutscene the quest you're on doesn't complete/progress, so when you get back from the dungeon you just talk to the NPC again and restart the cutscene.

As for side quests not giving enough xp, I agree. I use them as something to do while waiting in queue now that I've completed my MSQ. They keep me busy and add to the lore of this beautiful expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    I agree with side quests. While you can finish an entire zone of side quests in little under half an hour it's still not that much exp. I did all the side quests in Kholusia on my Bard and I think I only got around 40% of my whole level. I doubt I'd even get three levels if I did all the zones on a single job. They really need to at least increase it by 50% or make quests benefit from the armoury bonus.

Fates I'm mostly fine with. The only change I'd probably want is to make bonus exp and forlorn spawns a bit more frequent.

Having said all that... both me and all my friends only did the occasional roulette plus some fates along the way between quest objectives. I don't understand where this "several dungeons plus a crap ton of fates to level once" comes from. Heck one friend was two levels ahead of the MSQ because every day he did leveling plus alliance.
    FATEs are fine, but completely agree side quests give FAR too little xp to be a viable method of leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    I did the main scenario duty roulette once per day, other than that I just did enough fates to get to rank 2 of every zone for the speed increase, and I never once hit a level wall.
    I did FATEs if they were near me as I was questing and did roulettes and never had an issue with level gating on the MSQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    By the time I managed to snag 6 fates I was almost done with the zone anyway (I always got flight attunement right after the MSQ quest that gave the Aeother thingy).

I agree, I focused on the MSQ and finding the aether currents as I went along so by the time I finished a zone I hadn't done enough FATEs to hit Rank 2 but had flying already making the speed increase redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    Well we have another 2 years of the expansion where you will undoubtedly be returning to those zones, as well as if you just want to keep playing in the current time post-MSQ. Plus it gives you some exp to avoid hitting a level wall.

Not really a reason to NOT do them. Especially with how much exp fates give now.

Plus I want those pets from Rank 3.

People are reporting that if you just do FATES to get the 60 needed to hit rank 3 in each zone as a 70 job, you can get all the way to 80 on those alone.

So there's also that.
    One good thing about all this is that FATE groups are a thing now so there's a relatively reliable way to level alts that way. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm likely just going to try and hit 71 in whatever way I can and then grind the shit out of the Trust system since it's reliable, you get gear, xp and you level your Trust NPCs that way.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    People are certainly doing things wrong.

I still have *all* (with the execption of maybe ~10 when I wanted to try them out again) sidequests available, I am still sub Fate Rank 3 (and only did rank 2 recently in some zones) and I have 2 lvl 80 characters.

The leveling process was a joke compared to how I remembered it in the other addons.

I agree with sidequests being bad and dumb if you are looking for XP.... but it's not like you need them to get enough XP for level ups.
    Main Scenario roulettes grants ~13m XP for example... and you need like 23(?) to get from 79 to 80?
    I did all my roulettes each day for 4 days, about 3 FATEs per zone (had to go back to get the first rank), and only the MSQ. I did side quest chains to completion if the first quest gave an aether current because I wanted to know the end of that little side story.

I hit the level block once. I picked up a quest at 79 but I had to complete role quest at 80 to continue the MSQ. I was 12 million short of 80 and hadn't run roulettes for the day. Two roulettes had me at 80 for the final run.

Side quests are fine for what they offer. They're fleshing out the zone stories and they're a fine way to spend time on a DPS job between FATEs and waiting for a queue to pop.

I've been doing them on NIN and I'm at 76 now. But I'm admittedly a lore hound, so I enjoy seeing the little side stories in the zones that flesh out the people and places a little bit.

Amaro, aka feathered camel dragons, are best friends and I'm going to finally level every job to 80 just to get one (while cursing Yoshida for putting that carrot in front of me).
    Last edited by Faroth; 2019-07-08 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Amaro, aka feathered camel dragons, are best friends and I'm going to finally level every job to 80 just to get one (while cursing Yoshida for putting that carrot in front of me).
    How do you earn one? Is it an achievement reward or something?

Nevermind, looked it up. Yeah...will be working on that anyway. I'll get it eventually.

https://twinfinite.net/2019/07/ffxiv...e-gwiber-more/
    Last edited by Katchii; 2019-07-08 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Personally SMN is quite fun/nice.
    I know I gave the Summoner a lot of flak during Stormblood for being a confused hybrid of a DoT mage and a Pet Job, but this time around Squenix have done oh so much better with it. There's a much stronger theme and identity running throughout the job and it really shows, It has a much better flow to it now too, having three distinct phases for it's DPS gives it some great high points. It's a much more fun job to play now than it was in Stormblood.

There's a lot of utility in there too, Devotion is still a good raid buff, the ability to shield people with Titan is handy, the HoT from Phoenix is nice and as always the extra res is helpful if the worst happens.

What I worry about though is more it's usefulness during raiding. Ideally, you'd want to use those higher DPS phases for parts of the fight that require more in the way of burst or are on strict timers. but they might not always line up well with where you are during your rotation. You'd either have to deliberately delay a phase, or else hope to push through it with your lower DPS. While it does present an interesting theoretical challenge, on paper you're looking at it being somewhat impractical.

Personally I'm not a fan of having to do all the basic pet attacks manually now. Makes the class feel like whack-a-mole. Insta summon is cool though.
    You do them manually to grant charges of Greater Ruin though. It gives you a lot more fine control when leading up to Bahamut to maximise your Wyrmwave casts.

Also the Garuda AoE one is both super easy to mess up, but absolutely amazing when you nail it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I've already covered that earlier in the thread. You can make good story driven game or you can make player read walls of filler text ad infinitum while unvoiced models spam three emotes. ARR story (which is the only one he played through) is entirely this and the story itself is pretty shitty too. If my friend, who started playing a little bit earlier, didn't keep telling me that the game gets better, I wouldn't even make it to level 20.

- - - Updated - - -

He already made two videos about the game.

Looks like he removed these too lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly each class I look at seems a bit overwhelming.

Its here is a bunch of ability's now learn all of them and their order. Even RDM feels that way to me, kinda wish it started at level 1 so I could just get use to it as I go and not be handled a lot of stuff at once.

Considered SAM as well and after looking at this I just said nope cause all of it went over my head lol.
    https://i.imgur.com/DVnJ2BD.png

Just trying to find something that doesn't feel overwhelming at the start, I'm likely overreacting a bit I admit.
    I felt the same way when I first looked at SAM but when you read the skills and place them on your hotbar accordingly it starts to make sense.

I feel like people undervalue proper hot bar placement. It makes a world of difference I find. For example on my Machinist Heat Blast is E while Gauss Round is one of the two side buttons on my Deathadder. This way I can fire off both repeatability with ease.

5+ Year Old Account
    I had to order a new mouse since mine gave out today.

The '1' on the side saw too much use.

Titania might be in my top 5 favorite bosses of all time.

The soundtrack was even better than the fight.

do they only increase ground speed? i bought one and couldn't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    do they only increase ground speed? i bought one and couldn't tell the difference.
    Pretty sure it's ground speed only, which makes it useless for the most part, but not the vendors! Good lord when I saw you could buy mob drops off the vendors I was in heaven

Some of the materials sell for decent amount. I forgot which one but one of the skins sells for 70K for a stack of 25. Not bad for some free extra money while leveling jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    Titania might be in my top 5 favorite bosses of all time.

The soundtrack was even better than the fight.
    I...think it's intentional, but I'm not 100% sure, but her boss music drives me slightly insane every time I hear it due to how long her fight is and how much it repeats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    You do them manually to grant charges of Greater Ruin though. It gives you a lot more fine control when leading up to Bahamut to maximise your Wyrmwave casts.
    Also the Garuda AoE one is both super easy to mess up, but absolutely amazing when you nail it!
    Greater Ruin (or Ruin IV) is on the GCD, so umm... how would you be able to maximize Bahamuts actions if you are locked to 1 per GCD?

Never used Garuda, always use Ifrit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    1st visit: WTF is this music?
    2nd visit: Hmm this is not half bad...
    3rd visit: lalalala

Insanity is definitely contagious.
    @Onikaroshi: precisely why I call the riding map waste of gems.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should be using both now. Garuda is your AoE pet, Ifrit your single target.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    You should be using both now. Garuda is your AoE pet, Ifrit your single target.
    So what happened with Titan in the end? i was expecting it to become the pvp egi.