b a l a n c e d

[IMG][/IMG]

tfw you finally spot a Miqo'te again in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    tfw you finally spot a Miqo'te again in the wild.
    My wife went back to miq'ote first day, she didn't like that viera couldn't use her favorite hairstyle. I'm still hrothgar but the lack of hats is starting to bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    This is the second time I have to link the video in this thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQvSbjjFvCY
    I don't know GW2, but that looks like a lot of outdoor group content. Which would be equivalent more to the elite hunts in FFXIV.

I was there when HoT launched. The problem was that the time for enemies to kill you was so low that you almost never had a chance to do anything. Did you aggro a pack of Pocket Raptors? You'll be dead in a couple seconds. Were you gliding and aggroed a Mordrem sniper? You'll be oneshotted, plain and simple. Did you mis time a dodge roll to a dinosaur? There goes 70% of your health, oh and he's still rolling so if you get hit again in another half second you'll have died in less than a second anyway. Then there was the fact that mobs were damage sponges; Hero Point mobs would take upwards of five minutes to kill, and combine that with the fact that if you even got as much as hit you were almost certainly dead. You didn't adopt new strategies to counter these mobs; at the end of the day the solution boiled down to "group up and continue zerging as usual". it was simple unenjoyable to play.

I think my only real complaint about FFXIV is the crafting system just fucking god awful. No idea why it gets so much praise. Maybe it's better at max level, but I'll probably never know because I'd rather do literally anything else than level professions.

The actual crafting of items was made a little better in Shadowbringers, but gathering is still boring as all fuck with a massive time waste mechanic(GP).

I'm completely at a loss for why anyone would enjoy such a poorly design system that's clearly only made to waste your time. But it's frequently mentioned as one of the highlights of FFXIV and I just don't get it.

Because it's an actual gameplay system instead of clicking a single button and automatically succeeding. That's easy but boring.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I'm completely at a loss for why anyone would enjoy such a poorly design system that's clearly only made to waste your time. But it's frequently mentioned as one of the highlights of FFXIV and I just don't get it.
    Well what game in your opinion has a great crafting system?

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    Well what game in your opinion has a great crafting system?
    None. Crafting in every MMO I've played has been boring and time consuming. If crafting disappeared entirely from MMOs I'd be just fine with it.

ARR crafting is fine, people who complain about it just have no idea what they're doing. Shadowbringers crafting is dead. "We want to make it more accessible." Imagine the reaction people would have if Yoshi came out and said "we want to take steps to make savage more accessible" and then deleted it and made ex the highest difficulty.

Heaven forbid something in the game be difficult or slightly exclusive. If Savage becomes the only thing in the game that requires any effort, FFXIV will have devolved into becoming retail WoW. Having a better story isn't the sole thing to keep an MMO running, people praise the game for having more than just top end raiding to do, keep pruning away those options and it's just World of Final Fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestNoob View Post
    ARR crafting is fine, people who complain about it just have no idea what they're doing. Shadowbringers crafting is dead. "We want to make it more accessible." Imagine the reaction people would have if Yoshi came out and said "we want to take steps to make savage more accessible" and then deleted it and made ex the highest difficulty.

Heaven forbid something in the game be difficult or slightly exclusive. If Savage becomes the only thing in the game that requires any effort, FFXIV will have devolved into becoming retail WoW. Having a better story isn't the sole thing to keep an MMO running, people praise the game for having more than just top end raiding to do, keep pruning away those options and it's just World of Final Fantasy.
    Nothing I've seen in crafting has been difficult. Just tedious, time consuming, and mind numbingly boring.

I don't really understand how they made crafting easier.

I don't know GW2, but that looks like a lot of outdoor group content. Which would be equivalent more to the elite hunts in FFXIV.
    No, that's how normal overworld zones work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    GW2 is a different beast, though.

Those fights aren't "hard" by any means, it's just the nature of the game that you get downed at the drop of a hat sometimes. Hell, sometimes it's even just unavoidable.

"Downed" doesn't mean you're dead, though. You'll instantly get back up if a nearby enemy dies, and people can just heal you back up in a second. Or you just die and run back and everything is fine because you're not gonna fail the event anyway. That and the events require no coordination or anything 99.9% of the time.

So no, it's not "hard outdoor content" or anything. I don't know why Rog keeps linking that video like it's proving something.
    I mean yeah, if you don't want to learn how game works, you can get carried by people around you. That works for any non-savage content in FFXIV.
    Last edited by Rogalicus; 2019-07-15 at 04:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    b a l a n c e d
    WTF what did they feed that White Mage? 8.4K O_o

- - - Updated - - -

The actual crafting of items was made a little better in Shadowbringers, but gathering is still boring as all fuck with a massive time waste mechanic(GP).
    Yeah crafting is cool. I like to do it myself. I do share the frustration if waiting for SP though to be honest: once your crafters have better gear, you don't need to rely on HQ mats that much and you mostly gather from timed nodes (once every half RL hour), from that point onwards, gathering is the quick part and waiting for SP rarely happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    I don't really understand how they made crafting easier.
    Easier to HQ, less grind, no reliance on desynthesis, better access to materia, easy way to earn scrip similar to dungeon tomestones.

They did A LOT in Stormblood to cut down on the time wasting aspect and I enjoy crafting since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yeah crafting is cool. I like to do it myself. I do share the frustration if waiting for SP though to be honest: once your crafters have better gear, you don't need to rely on HQ mats that much and you mostly gather from timed nodes (once every half RL hour), from that point onwards, gathering is the quick part and waiting for SP rarely happens.
    Entirely possible it gets better later on, but I've been in the low 60s on botanist for months since every time I try to level it I get bored and the exp gains are so painfully slow that I don't feel like I'm making any meaningful progress. I try leveling it for a day or 2, then drop it for weeks or months before trying again.

I completely leveled cooking to 70 off of the wheat in the Fringes from the leve, while botanist's exp has barely even budged.

Entirely possible it gets better later on, but I've been in the low 60s on botanist for months since every time I try to level it I get bored and the exp gains are so painfully slow that I don't feel like I'm making any meaningful progress. I try leveling it for a day or 2, then drop it for weeks or months before trying again.

I completely leveled cooking to 70 off of the wheat in the Fringes from the leve, while botanist's exp has barely even budged.
    I would look into unlocking Namazu.

5+ Year Old Account
    If you're just straight grinding to level a gatherer, then yeah you're gonna have a really, really bad time generally.

It's slightly less bad with manuals, but still pretty bad.

Just cycle through some ephemeral nodes and turn in collectibles and you're just sailing through levels.
    Leves help a lot too. I do each one at least once for the achievement credit.

If you're just straight grinding to level a gatherer, then yeah you're gonna have a really, really bad time generally.

It's slightly less bad with manuals, but still pretty bad.

Just cycle through some ephemeral nodes and turn in collectibles and you're just sailing through levels.
    I did look at collectibles, but that looks a lot like waiting for several minutes after each node for GP to replenish.

Sure, you can throw around some snark to avoid the topic, but the reality is that you're not really making the point you think you're making by posting a video of people being downed in GW2. You're especially not fooling anyone that actually played it.
    Well, first you started a strawman about me calling GW2 content "hard" when I replied to post claiming that "it's impossible to design exciting and entertaining overworld content in MMO", which I'm pretty sure is different. Then you proceed with telling how "everything oneshots you" and "just get ressed by someone or WP", which shows me extent of your knowledge of game and extent of your effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did look at collectibles, but that looks a lot like waiting for several minutes after each node for GP to replenish.
    Try this Website to track Collectibles. https://www.ffxivclock.com/#/ It works well enough that you can do things inbetween collectible nodes and 99% of the time will have all your GP back to start again.