The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Idk how to feel about that tbh. The one thing I liked about summoner was that your summon could tank FOR you, and it looks like that is going away. That just makes fighting mobs even more aggravating.
    Welcome to being every other Job in the game XD

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Debating about jumping back in again, I havent played since the end of Heavensward, how long is 60 to 70 now?
    i did it in 3 days, pretty easy

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't used titan to tank open world since lvl50/start of heavensward. Garuda/Ifrit+Chocobo and then most things are dead fairly quickly, I don't honestly expect things to be any different with the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Theres a lot of things i can compare and complain about WoW compared to FFXIV in terms of games design but the playerbase one -and it started around wrath with the dungeon finder and never got better- was the idea of "well we wiped once, time to leave the group, even if it means a debuff". I have never seen that behaviour in any game like WoW. At least in FFXIV's case the sprout icon and a simple "okay who doesnt know this fight?" works wonders but still lately i'll see some people say "i'm new but want to learn, please dont spoil this boss" because this deep into an expansion everyone else knows their role enough that a wipe has to be something like a healer dc or something and thats never a reason to ragequit. Especially if it was a long queue.
    While I rarely see someone leave a dungeon run for a single wipe (mostly due to sunk cost fallacy) in FF14, I can't say I see it very often in WoW either. At least in M+ people only really drop once it becomes a chore. I.e. multiple wipes, or a clear indication someone isn't up to par, etc.

I haven't done a non M+ dungeon since expansion dropped, so if that's where you see it, that makes sense why I don't.

In FF14 EX/Savage content it's fairly common to see people drop after a single wipe. People with ACT might see something they don't like (the BRD doing 900 DPS, other warning flags, etc.), a clear party that someone snuck into and butchered every single mechanic and clearly belong in a learning party, or a farm party that should know mechanics but wipes in phase 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I personally love seeing fights blind and figuring them out. Drives one of our FC members nuts since they want to read up and watch videos on everything before going into any of the content.
    Same here. It's why I love the day 1 EX trials.

One of my first dungeon runs back after a break in WoW was a 1 wipe and tank dropped, resulting in the group disbanding. It was disheartening to see the "well 1 error = go back in queue for 30+ minutes" situation, but I didn't have any issues after that. Honestly most of my return visit in Legion was pretty pleasant, though I will note that dungeon runs through Party Finder were 100% dead silent more often without even the cordial hellos at the start.
    Mind sharing some additional info into what kinda dungeon run and what the wipe looked like? I'm curious.

Most of my pug M+ are silent too, but that's no different than any EX roulette I go into though. I very rarely get people responding to me. I've been farming Orbonne for my Agrias gear, roughly 1/3 of my runs are dead silent. It's only when something goes wrong do people speak up or people just wanna chat and half ass it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I haven't decided which I'll level first, Dancer or Gunbreaker. Gunbreaker looks awesome, but I'm quite intrigued by Dancer and have a feeling a well played Dancer will be in demand for content later on.
    Do Dancer. Pick me as your partner. Yes I am a tank, but I'll probably outDPS most pug DPS anyway so do it!

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Just did a Ghimlyt Dark where a full 380 DRG didn't enter Life of the Dragoon a single time and was last dps during the full duration of the dungeon (reset before each boss).
    LOL. That's priceless, but not surprising. I've been doing leveling roulette lately and I remembered why I stopped doing it. I love helping new players, but a lot of people just don't care.

I had a SAM who wasn't using AOE, and I asked him if he was using AOE skills, all he said was sorry. He then proceeded to continue not using any AOE the entire dungeon. I noticed the other 2 were from the same server and I didn't feel like getting kicked so I backed off.

I had another with a sprout tank (synced down from 54 though) and they just sucked at getting aggro. I said, Hey xxx! For pulls with multiple mobs, try using Overpower it'll make it easier to grab multiple mobs this way you don't have to chase errant ones around with Tomahawk. Proceeds to completely ignore me, not say a word and body pull each pack...

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    i did it in 3 days, pretty easy
    Hours. Always measure these things in hours, not # of days. What you play in a day could be what some of us play in a week. Maybe even a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Mind sharing some additional info into what kinda dungeon run and what the wipe looked like? I'm curious.
    I forget which dungeon it was, but it was just one of those "something weird happened" situations where we died on an early trash pack. Nothing said, no comments, no questions, just an immediate drop group from the tank. Healer followed. DPS stuck around a moment with "Well that sucks" and we sat in queue a little bit to see if it would replenish until finally deciding to dissolve as well.

Come to think of it, I think the same happened to me once early in BfA with the manor dungeon in the Alliance area, except the healer stuck around after the tank dropped. We waited a little bit for a replacement before the healer dropped and same thing - the rest of us said it was probably best to just dissolve and try again fresh.

Most of my runs were straightforward, if silent, in BfA. People say hello in XIV at the start almost by default and I have more luck with some fun chat in roulettes. I say hello at the start of a dungeon in WoW and not one single person responds.

Alliance raids, on the other hand.... people are just chatty and weird in those a lot. I have no idea what they're talking about other than crazy talk.

- - - Updated - - -

Do Dancer. Pick me as your partner. Yes I am a tank, but I'll probably outDPS most pug DPS anyway so do it!
    But tanks aren't tanks now. They ARE just DPS with higher enmity.

Idk how to feel about that tbh. The one thing I liked about summoner was that your summon could tank FOR you, and it looks like that is going away. That just makes fighting mobs even more aggravating.
    We'll have to see, but Titan-Egi is getting a shield of some kind, so he's still intended to be the go-to egi for soloing.

I agree though, having a pet that took damage for you was a big part of the draw for me for soloing.

I'm still excited about the changes though, I couldn't stand the way it played in Stormblood, with how long it took to build up and prepare.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, Dancer will definitely get leveled, I'm just not sure it will get leveled first. If the trust system pans out so that people can take on the MSQ dungeons without a huge wait, I won't hesitate on Dancer but leveling as a Tank has a lot of perks as far as group content goes and I love DPS. With all of the stuff I've seen Gunbreaker really plays like a DPS, so I'm really excited about that.

The hype is real for me right now waiting for this expansion to drop.

LOL. That's priceless, but not surprising. I've been doing leveling roulette lately and I remembered why I stopped doing it. I love helping new players, but a lot of people just don't care.
    These are the kinds of people I want to vote kick for harassment. The ones who you give advice to, they acknowledge it but then proceed to act like they didn't hear what you said. One of the very few things in any MMO that truly irritates me, when people obviously ignore you or blatantly disregard the advice you give them to improve and they just keep on being terrible, not caring at all that they're a detriment to the group.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much, which has me even more excited about Gunbreaker. Not only are tanks just a DPS with a tank stance, but Gunbreaker is meant to play LIKE a DPS, at least as far as the footage and commentary I've read and watched so far about it.

Paladin felt DPS'ish this expansion with multiple combos and Rage of Halone always looked and felt like a DPS move to me. Dark Knight never felt like a DPS to me, too slow and the damage output compared to my actual DPS classes just felt SO much lower. Maybe that will change in Shadowbringers.

Pretty much, which has me even more excited about Gunbreaker. Not only are tanks just a DPS with a tank stance, but Gunbreaker is meant to play LIKE a DPS, at least as far as the footage and commentary I've read and watched so far about it.

Paladin felt DPS'ish this expansion with multiple combos and Rage of Halone always looked and felt like a DPS move to me. Dark Knight never felt like a DPS to me, too slow and the damage output compared to my actual DPS classes just felt SO much lower. Maybe that will change in Shadowbringers.
    I have a feeling we'll be seeing some Dante/Nero's with Gunbreaker. Pretty fitting that it's a tank then. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    In the overworld, at least, you have your chocobo to lean on for tanking, damage and healing.
    Chocobro can do many things but holding aggro is not one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

So the mob hits you a few times until it evaporates. Who cares. Crap dies fast anyway.

What's way more aggravating is that I can't dot half a camp and watch them die from DoTs alone like I could do with my raid geared SPriest.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    He's doing his best!! T-T

He's doing his best!! T-T
    A dual specced Healer/DPS chocobo is best chocobo....tank spec just seems useless, except to get the barding reward for maxing out the tank spec.

So the mob hits you a few times until it evaporates. Who cares. Crap dies fast anyway.
    I appreciated the fact that the pet could take hits because it meant I wasn't and could loot/ activate stuff in battle that other classes couldn't because of getting interrupted due to mobs hitting them. It made those kinds of quests super simple, because I didn't have to mow down a dozen mobs before clicking the "thing" for the quest, I could run in, have Titan gather up the mobs using Enkindle, throw up a Sustain, click the "thing" then sprint away while my floating chicken nugget takes a beating and I make my escape.

What's way more aggravating is that I can't dot half a camp and watch them die from DoTs alone like I could do with my raid geared SPriest.
    Yeah, gone are the days where a DoT class' abilities are strong enough and last long enough to take a mob from 100 to 0. I remember Vanilla WoW Warlocks being absolutely OP and despised in PvP because of how much damage they could cause if they found a hidey hole and just peppered every passer by with their DoTs.

As satisfying as that would be to have, it makes it a much more active class to play which I much prefer. I just want Summoner to end up with like a Bio-bomb ability that exploded after a certain time/ damage done that spread the DoT. Would fit the theme of the class and ability. Infusing the enemy with aether over time that damaged them internally until it reached a breaking point and exploded out of them causing the same affliction in everyone near them. Either that or la corpse explosion type enhancement that made the aether causing the DoT to "escape" after the target died.

I forget which dungeon it was, but it was just one of those "something weird happened" situations where we died on an early trash pack. Nothing said, no comments, no questions, just an immediate drop group from the tank. Healer followed. DPS stuck around a moment with "Well that sucks" and we sat in queue a little bit to see if it would replenish until finally deciding to dissolve as well.

Come to think of it, I think the same happened to me once early in BfA with the manor dungeon in the Alliance area, except the healer stuck around after the tank dropped. We waited a little bit for a replacement before the healer dropped and same thing - the rest of us said it was probably best to just dissolve and try again fresh.

Most of my runs were straightforward, if silent, in BfA. People say hello in XIV at the start almost by default and I have more luck with some fun chat in roulettes. I say hello at the start of a dungeon in WoW and not one single person responds.

Alliance raids, on the other hand.... people are just chatty and weird in those a lot. I have no idea what they're talking about other than crazy talk.
    Hmm.. I can't offer any insight. I legit haven't done a normal-mythic dungeon run since the expansion launched. If someone leaves in a M+ the key is dead (devolves now) so people don't do it unless it's a real loss.

I still don't get any real communication in FF14 though so maybe I'm just on a shitty DC (Primal)? As I said above, one third of my Orbonne runs are dead silent. The others 2/3 only have communication if shit goes wrong (4 fucking analysis' on Mustadio? what?) or it's the zany banter you mentioned.

Thank fucking god he said it. I'd tank regardless because PLD is my archetype, but I love that it's basically a melee DPS who doesn't have to do positionals, because fuck positionals.

LOL, Dancer will definitely get leveled, I'm just not sure it will get leveled first. If the trust system pans out so that people can take on the MSQ dungeons without a huge wait, I won't hesitate on Dancer but leveling as a Tank has a lot of perks as far as group content goes and I love DPS. With all of the stuff I've seen Gunbreaker really plays like a DPS, so I'm really excited about that.
    Oh it's getting leveled first if I have anything to say. Also you don't have to wait for dungeons. You have an insta-queue right here.

10+ Year Old Account
    A dual specced Healer/DPS chocobo is best chocobo....tank spec just seems useless, except to get the barding reward for maxing out the tank spec.
    Chocobro is lv 19, so I have pretty much all skills anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

because fuck positionals.
    I like positionals.
    Unless I have a random tank who makes it a sport to needlessly run and twist.

BTW: tanks have positionals too: It's called "Do not let the mouth or the butt of the dragon point towards the group"

- - - Updated - - -

As satisfying as that would be to have, it makes it a much more active class to play which I much prefer.
    Nothing feels more active than juggling DoTs on multiple targets. Tunneling on one and the same target is boring. :P

Thank fucking god he said it. I'd tank regardless because PLD is my archetype, but I love that it's basically a melee DPS who doesn't have to do positionals, because fuck positionals.
    I'll enjoy tanks being a DPS with enmity too, but positionals don't bother me that much....just when there's too many of them and the tanks an idiot that won't hold still. Monk is going to be a pain this expansion with the increase in attack speed alongside positionals. I've never mained it, but it's always been fun when I leveled it.

Oh it's getting leveled first if I have anything to say. Also you don't have to wait for dungeons. You have an insta-queue right here.
    Dancer will likely be first, so long as I enjoy it anyway, but you and I have different play schedules being on different sides of the country and all (last I checked anyway, I'm still on the West Coast).

Wouldn't want to tie myself to your schedule or vice versa you know? Regardless, leveling in the first few weeks of a launch was never that bad since there's tons of people moseying their way through the story and plenty of people are willing to help during that time period.

Don't worry...I'll be around =)

Chocobro is lv 19, so I have pretty much all skills anyway.
    Mines still only level 12 or so, I don't do enough outdoor content to get him leveled up that quick, and leveling him up just isn't reward enough to make it worthwhile on it's own. Perhaps in ShB with FATEs being a bigger thing I'll have reason to get him to 20 this xpack.

I like positionals.
    Unless I have a random tank who makes it a sport to needlessly run and twist.

BTW: tanks have positionals too: It's called "Do not let the mouth or the butt of the dragon point towards the group"
    Word.

Nothing feels more active than juggling DoTs on multiple targets. Tunneling on one and the same target is boring. :P
    Active yes, fun no. Tab -> 1, 2 Tab-> 1,2 Tab-> 1,2-> Repeat until everything is dead. Just meant I'd rather have more things to do besides applying DoT's. Tunneling on one mob on a primarily DoT class is pretty boring though, which is again why I'm excited for the way they're going with it where DoT's are a key component, but not the core of the class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Downloaded ACT and my first run I was doubling the damage of the other DPS and tripling on AOE. Which is weird, because I'm a purple/orange parser in WoW, but I definitely know that I'm not nearly as good at FF14 yet. I wonder how many people never find out what a proper rotation is because dps guides aren't as wide spread and they don't have ACT so they don't know that they aren't that good at the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Downloaded ACT and my first run I was doubling the damage of the other DPS and tripling on AOE. Which is weird, because I'm a purple/orange parser in WoW, but I definitely know that I'm not nearly as good at FF14 yet. I wonder how many people never find out what a proper rotation is because dps guides aren't as wide spread and they don't have ACT so they don't know that they aren't that good at the game.
    Not uncommon in dungeons, even I can double the damage of randoms since most people don't give a shit about DPS unless some enrage kills them.
    I AM bad as DPS (around 9-11K DPS on trash / 5-6 on bosses) b/c I dislike how DPS classes play in FF-XIV and their gear is rather "meh" atm.

Do savage raids and realize just how bad you are.

15+ Year Old Account
    Man, mobs in this game can be health sponges when you have no gear. I can't imagine what leveling as a caster/healer is going to be like in the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not too bad imo, granted I just have the level 20 chocobo out though to help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, mobs in this game can be health sponges when you have no gear. I can't imagine what leveling as a caster/healer is going to be like in the expansion.
    Not much of an issue there b/c contrary to WoW, SE doesn't force you to kill 100s of mobs. Typically you need very little side quests to level your first class.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Because the vast majority of the community simply don't care if they're bad, they play for fun, this isn't WoW where everyone has their heads up their own ass over how good they are and that's a damn good thing because that shit breeds toxicity and FFXIV doesn't need WoW's toxicity seeping in.

I'd also recommend not using ACT to mock people or mentioning ACT, it's not a popular addon for a lot of people and from what I've read on the reddit SE can suspend/ban you if you use ACT to abuse people over their performances, whether that's true or not, I don't know but be careful when using it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    What's the recommended way to gear up at lvl 70 according to MMO-Champion?
    Farm the yellow tomestones from the dungeons you can run (they have no weekly cap) and buy the appropriate gear from the vendor in Rhalgr's Reach.
    You should hit i360+ in a few days. The acquisition rate of "current Tier -1" raid-equivalent gear is pretty much on par with WoW and is the catch-up mechanic.

I do NOT recommend wasting time in Eureka unless you are done with the main story. Esp now when there are so few people actually doing the older versions of it and even fewer are willing to drag along and constantly rez any newbies that are instagib by virtually everything the fate mobs do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    and that's a damn good thing because that shit breeds toxicity and FFXIV doesn't need WoW's toxicity seeping in.
    Honestly? The only "toxicity" are people that play like the first humans, wipe pretty much every group they're in and then yap on about "Imma playin for FUUUN!!!11".

Yeah your "fun" stops when the endeavor starts to be a group effort. Pull your weight. No I don't mean salivating over orange E-Peen parses but doing the minimum the encounter requires in order to be killable should be an obvious common courtesy. If you can't: stay out of the content.

You are right on one account: it is unwise to mention the use of ACT to randoms. Some underperformer may get his feathers ruffled and go to the GMs to cry (and as usual in todays society, get coddled and told how "speshil" he is and how mean and toxic anyone that dares to criticize his gaming ability....).