Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    How about adding a DoT spread to shadowbite that would fix multi DoTing.
    Fixing multi-dotting on BRD wouldn't make it playable for me, but it would be a great quality of life upgrade for the class. Might make it a little OP though, since the DoT ticks are tied to resetting Bloodletter and Rain of Arrows, so being able to instantly DoT up a whole pack for a bunch more CD resets would be pretty huge as far as DPS goes. Would be fun though.

I didn't like the ballad and song mechanic, with the voice gauge, just feels weird to me. It was interesting at first, but eventually just got cumbersome/ not fun. Between the three physical ranged classes I much prefer Dancer and Machinist over Bard. Dancer is my main class this expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    rdm is literally built with double weaving I mind

side note, the game has been near unplayable with constant dx11 crashes, apparently due to me having a 144hz monitor

What the shit
    What exactly is RDM double weaving? It doesn't have that many oGCD instant cast skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Fixing multi-dotting on BRD wouldn't make it playable for me, but it would be a great quality of life upgrade for the class. Might make it a little OP though, since the DoT ticks are tied to resetting Bloodletter and Rain of Arrows, so being able to instantly DoT up a whole pack for a bunch more CD resets would be pretty huge as far as DPS goes. Would be fun though.

I didn't like the ballad and song mechanic, with the voice gauge, just feels weird to me. It was interesting at first, but eventually just got cumbersome/ not fun. Between the three physical ranged classes I much prefer Dancer and Machinist over Bard. Dancer is my main class this expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

What exactly is RDM double weaving? It doesn't have that many oGCD instant cast skills.
    opener is hard cast a 5 second cast, instant cast the other, fleche and charge, hard cast instant cast the ogcd aoe spell flip, does that a few times in the first 22 seconds of the fight since manafication resets the cds of charge and flip

Last edited by Nasuuna; 2020-03-09 at 10:05 PM.

How is the game solo? I’ve been wanting a new mmo for awhile and I’m thinking about trying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    How is the game solo? I’ve been wanting a new mmo for awhile and I’m thinking about trying this one.
    The levelling and story is mostly solo. You will have to do some dungeons while going through the story, but you just sign up in the Duty Finder and you'll get matched with a group. FFXIV does a lot of level scaling, so it will throw higher levels in your group (scaled down). This means that groups always form reasonably quickly. (~15 min for DPS). Endgame is mostly running group content, or levelling a new class (on the same character).

Basically, the main story game is 95% solo, but that 5% is not optional.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    You can do pretty much all of the content without interacting with other people. Obviously, there are instances that you have to complete to progress through questlines, but there is a LFR (called "Duty Finder") that automatically places you in a group with other people, and the instances are really easy. FFXIV is more of a JRPG with some MMO-lite elements tacked on (based on WoW) then a MMO.

The bulk of the game's content is centered around the main story questline, or MSQ. It starts from the moment you first log in and continues through every patch. There is a tracker in the top left corner of your screen displaying which MSQ quest you are on.

You can switch jobs (classes) at any time, but the MSQ gives you slightly less then the amount of exp required to reach the level cap of that expansion (meaning you will probably have to do some sidequests or queue for some dungeons to get to the level cap of that expansion and continue the MSQ, which is level gated). As such, for your first playthrough, it is recommended that you stick with a single job. Any job can complete all content, even healers. However, tanks and healers get near instant queues for instanced content. If you don't want to wait 10-30 minutes every time you queue for an instance, consider going with a tank or healer job.

Due to the length of the MSQ, some parts of the story had to be split off into their own optional questlines for the sake of pacing, but they are still relevant to the MSQ story and should be completed. The order in which you should do those questlines is:

The FFXIV story order:
    • 2.0 A Realm Reborn MSQ
    • 2.1-2.55 ARR MSQ (do the Crystal Tower storyline during this, only takes a couple hours)
    • 3.0 Heavensward MSQ
    • 3.1-3.55 HW MSQ (do the Warring Triad and Alexander storylines during this. They each take only a few hours. After completing the 3.3 MSQ, talk to an NPC in Fortemps Manor to pick up the quest "The Paths We Walk". That questline only takes about an hour.)
    • 4.0 Stormblood MSQ
    • 4.1-4.55 SB MSQ (do the Omega and the Return to Ivalice storylines during this. This will take some time.
    • 5.0 Shadowbringers MSQ
    • 5.1-5.2 ShB MSQ (do the Eden, the Sorrow of Werlyt, and the Save the Queen: Blades of Gunnhildr storylines. If you're willing to level up alt jobs (one tank, one healer, one physical DPS, one caster), you can can do the Rolequests storylines, which are short.

The FFXIV story is probably going to end in 6.0 or 6.3. We'll get more content after that, but that will be the end of the saga that began in 2.0.

Additional questlines:

• Job questlines: each job in the game has its own questline. Yes, even the crafter classes. Like the MSQ, the job questlines are continued in every expansion up until Shadowbringers, which pretty much concludes all the job questlines. These vary in quality. IMO, the Lancer 1-30, Samurai 50-60, and Dark Knight questlines are pretty good.
    • Starting with the Heavensward expansion, each zone has a small side questline that is generally worth doing. The first quest in these questlines is denoted by a blue quest marker. Starting in Stormblood, there can be multiple side questlines per zone that, when completed, merge together into another side questline. Those can be really satisfying.
    • The Hildibrand questline: this is a lighthearted comedy questline that has nothing to do with anything else in the game. If you want to take a break from all the heaviness of the other questlines, you can hop into this one. You can begin once you have finished A Realm Reborn 2.0.
    • The Void Ark questline, which can be begun once you have completed the Heavensward 3.0 MSQ.
    • The Four Lords questline, which can be begun once you have completed the Stormblood 4.0 MSQ.
    • Beast tribe reputations, which operate just like the reputation storylines in WoW up to MoP: you can do dailies for a beast tribe and gain reputation. Once you have enough reputation, you unlock the next quest in their questline. The Gnath's are pretty interesting, for example.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-03-10 at 03:38 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    You can do pretty much all of the content without interacting with other people. Obviously, there are instances that you have to complete to progress through questlines, but there is a LFR (called "Duty Finder") that automatically places you in a group with other people, and the instances are really easy. FFXIV is more of a JRPG with some MMO-lite elements tacked on (based on WoW) then a MMO.

The bulk of the game's content is centered around the main story questline, or MSQ. It starts from the moment you first log in and continues through every patch. There is a tracker in the top left corner of your screen displaying which MSQ quest you are on.

You can switch jobs (classes) at any time, but the MSQ gives you slightly less then the amount of exp required to reach the level cap of that expansion (meaning you will probably have to do some sidequests or queue for some dungeons to get to the level cap of that expansion and continue the MSQ, which is level gated). As such, for your first playthrough, it is recommended that you stick with a single job. Any job can complete all content, even healers. However, tanks and healers get near instant queues for instanced content. If you don't want to wait 10-30 minutes every time you queue for an instance, consider going with a tank or healer job.

Due to the length of the MSQ, some parts of the story had to be split off into their own optional questlines for the sake of pacing, but they are still relevant to the MSQ story and should be completed. The order in which you should do those questlines is:

The FFXIV story order:
    • 2.0 A Realm Reborn MSQ
    • 2.1-2.55 ARR MSQ (do the Crystal Tower storyline during this, only takes a couple hours)
    • 3.0 Heavensward MSQ
    • 3.1-3.55 HW MSQ (do the Warring Triad and Alexander storylines during this. They each take only a few hours. After completing the 3.3 MSQ, talk to an NPC in Fortemps Manor to pick up the quest "The Paths We Walk". That questline only takes about an hour.)
    • 4.0 Stormblood MSQ
    • 4.1-4.55 SB MSQ (do the Omega and the Return to Ivalice storylines during this. This will take some time.
    • 5.0 Shadowbringers MSQ
    • 5.1-5.2 ShB MSQ (do the Eden and the Save the Queen: Blades of Gunnhildr storylines. If you're willing to level up alt jobs (one tank, one healer, one physical DPS, one caster), you can can do the Rolequests storylines, which are short.

The FFXIV story is probably going to end in 6.0 or 6.3. We'll get more content after that, but that will be the end of the saga that began in 2.0.
    Just like to note though Save the Queen: Blades of Gunnhildr is not out yet. (Unless you were meaning Nier/Ruby weapon? since Blades is relic weapon and Nier/ruby are the 24man/side trial series)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Just like to note though Save the Queen: Blades of Gunnhildr is not out yet. (Unless you were meaning Nier/Ruby weapon? since Blades is relic weapon and Nier/ruby are the 24man/side trial series)
    The Blades of Gunnhildr questline is going to come out in a few weeks. From what we know, it seems like it's going to be story relevant, with backstory on Cid, more on Garlemald, update on the Dalmasca subplot, etc.

I completely forgot about the trial questline. Will add that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

The Blades of Gunnhildr questline is going to come out in a few weeks. From what we know, it seems like it's going to be story relevant, with backstory on Cid, more on Garlemald, update on the Dalmasca subplot, etc.

I completely forgot about the trial questline. Will add that.
    Blades of Gunnhildir is going to be the relic weapon. We won't be getting it for atleast a month or so.

Blades of Gunnhildir is going to be the relic weapon. We won't be getting it for atleast a month or so.
    More like a couple of weeks if we go by the past, 3 at most

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    More like a couple of weeks if we go by the past, 3 at most
    Patch 5.11 was release nov 12, 5.15 was dec 10. Patch 4.55 was Feb 12, 4.56 was March 26. Patch 4.41 Oct 2, Patch 4.45 Nov 6. Patch 4.31 June 5, Patch 4.35 July 3. So if we are going by the past, then it'll be about a month or so.
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2020-03-10 at 04:52 AM.

Patch 5.11 was release nov 12, 5.15 was dec 10. Patch 4.55 was Feb 12, 4.56 was March 26. Patch 4.41 Oct 2, Patch 4.45 Nov 6. Patch 4.31 June 5, Patch 4.35 July 3. So if we are going by the past, then it'll be about a month or so.
    Seemed shorter, they should really hurry it up... waiting for the next relic weapons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do remember that part...it sucked. Especially when you got used to multi-DoTing on SMN which is just one button, and then having to press two buttons for every mob you wanted to put a DoT on.
    *chuckles* Yup but to be honest: it's not meant to be played that way. The procs do less damage than your normal skills and you can only weave so many of them until they end up in Nirvana. DoTs on 3-4 Mobs tops. More are not useful.

BTW: what's with the "mimimi I have to press more than one button to spread DoTs" dear lord people are spoiled these days. Never played a Shadowpriest, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    opener is hard cast a 5 second cast, instant cast the other, fleche and charge, hard cast instant cast the ogcd aoe spell flip, does that a few times in the first 22 seconds of the fight since manafication resets the cds of charge and flip
    That opener assumes that you go in with energy already built up?

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    That opener assumes that you go in with energy already built up?
    Seems like they're saying veraero hardcast, verthunder dualcast, fleche, corps-a-corps, jolt ii (or proc), verwhatever, contre sixte, displacement

You're not using your melee combo during that. It is a dps increase to use corps-a-corps and displacement on cd.

I actually really liked MCH, even the mash button window is fun. The issue I had with that is that it's optimal to double weave during that window, and I just can't do it consistently. Single weaving during that window feels good, double weaving feels frenetic and carpal tunnel inducing.
    I can't double weave either, 120ms+ on average from east coast. However, with Mudfish I can double weave and have room to spare. If you care to use a VPN (and your troubles are latency related because of SE's shit ass peer agreement) it does help tremendously. I put $5 in mudfish ages ago and I've only used like a $1 of it. I'ts pay for traffic so SUPER cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I think that FFXIV should formalize the second GCD. Have current "off-GCD" abilities trigger a common cooldown of 2.5s for all those abilities.That would make single weaving standard and common. And it makes it easier to explain: Main abilities use GCD-1, specials use GCD-2, you want to alternate between them.
    Do you mean have 2 independent GCDs? I.e. normal GCDs trigger the standard 2.xx and then oGCDs trigger a fixed 2.5s one independent of each other? That sounds wonky to me, but I'd love to play test it and see how it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I can't double weave either, 120ms+ on average from east coast. However, with Mudfish I can double weave and have room to spare. If you care to use a VPN (and your troubles are latency related because of SE's shit ass peer agreement) it does help tremendously. I put $5 in mudfish ages ago and I've only used like a $1 of it. I'ts pay for traffic so SUPER cheap.
    I'll check it out. It is mostly latency based issues since I have to mash the buttons to try and make them go off within the GCD, if my latency were smoother I'd likely only have to press it 1-2 times to have it go off on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post

Do you mean have 2 independent GCDs? I.e. normal GCDs trigger the standard 2.xx and then oGCDs trigger a fixed 2.5s one independent of each other? That sounds wonky to me, but I'd love to play test it and see how it feels.
    Yup, it's basically how single-weaving works now. GCD ability, oGCD ability, GCD ability, oGCD ability etc. Just formalize it with two common cooldowns, so that it's obvious how it works, and your rotation doesn't change with your latency.

Man it is so weird to see Eureka is a ghost town but Diadem is packed.

I like the mechanics of FFX (character switching and the battle system in general), some of the character designs, and some of the music, but overall the game is one of my least favorite in the franchise, and the sphere grid system can die in a fire. I still played the hell out of it, because it was the only PS2 game I had at the time and it was fun enough, but the thought of playing through the story again makes me cringe.

On another note, I've been leveling Black Mage and I still am not a fan. I love the aesthetic, and I honestly really like the game play....but trying to play it well in a dungeon with all the movement mechanics on a class that literally cannot move in order to perform well, and can lose a ton of throughput if you have to move at the wrong time because Enochian falls off, is fucking awful. I can't wait to be done with it. Serious props to those who play it as a main, because after playing mainly as either Dancer and Red Mage....I just can't cope with how immobile Black Mage is in comparison.
    Haven't you heard ? As a black mage you're not supposed to move. It's the healers fault for not healing through the damage you're taking because you're a devastation machine. Your job is to dish out oblivion.

Can you even blame the boss? He's trying to stay alive by focusing on you. Your team mates are to blame if you ever feel threatened while doing what you're meant to do.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Haven't you heard ? As a black mage you're not supposed to move. It's the healers fault for not healing through the damage you're taking because you're a devastation machine. Your job is to dish out oblivion.

Can you even blame the boss? He's trying to stay alive by focusing on you. Your team mates are to blame if you ever feel threatened while doing what you're meant to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    "Healers adjust!!!"
    The sad part...it's not always wrong to do that. It is sometimes more optimal for the group to allow a DPS or two to eat an AoE and let the healer heal them back than it would be to make them move. The loss of DPS has more of an impact on the fight than requiring the healer to adjust.

As a DRK, I know I sometimes would intentionally stand in stuff so it could trigger the blackest night...feels weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sad part...it's not always wrong to do that. It is sometimes more optimal for the group to allow a DPS or two to eat an AoE and let the healer heal them back than it would be to make them move.
    Rarely the case because
    a) Vulnerability stacks are a serious issue in savage and can easily lead to death in following mechanics
    b) most heavy hits interrupt you as a caster, negating the advantage you might get.

Regarding your DRK example: that only applies to normal mode content, where incoming DPS is so ridiculously low that mobs often don't manage to burst your bubble in time. Also not an issue in content where DPS actually matters.

No, skillfull use of triple casts / instant cast combined with proper movement are infinitely more useful.