1. #47021
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Should be able to get Warrior to 70 this week and I'll have all tanks at the same range (GBR is 80), so I can level them alongside one another and save some inventory space.

    Unlocked Machinist so I could do the same with it & bard and forgot it starts at 30.... *cries*

    All my magic jobs and healing are sub 30.

    Dang Amaro reward.... I wants it, though. T-T
    I've been working on that, sorta. Almost have every job at 60+, many at 70+. A few at 80. (Not counting crafters/gatherers, which are all 80. Except FSH.)

    But damn, some jobs are frankly just boring to level. Got SCH to 80 so was working on WHM/AST. Got them both to 60 but frankly AST is just a bore compared to the others. Why the fuck do I wanna dick around with these cards to pad some random DPS and likely interrupt what I'm doing when I can just destroy everything myself with Holy/Assize and probably out-damage the DPS on every trash pack while still healing and preventing a fuckton of damage with the stuns?

    (Granted, nothing is gonna be balanced around trash pulls in dungeons, but that's all I can do right now, so hey!)

    Also bugs me that Gravity is a target AoE and not PBAoE like Holy and Art of War. It's convenient to be blowing up the mobs while having the tank targeted so I can just press some oGCD heal between attacks. Yes, I could make some macros or use Focus target or something and blah blah, but meh.

    And no, it's not just because of ShB changes. The entire concept of cards is just boring as shit.

    Anyway, gripefest over.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    To be fair, while Eldibus and Emet-Selch are both unsundered ascians, that doesn't mean that they're of comparable power. While we'd generally think the last one left is the most powerful, it could be that in terms of sheer combat power Emet-Selch is Vegeta and Elidibus is Nappa.
    Possibly. It could also be that he was significantly weaker due to "hopping bodies", which is how Emet-Selch explained away Lahabrea being such a putz.

  2. #47022
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I think where most people make the error is that they confuse creativity with technical difficulty.

    Could someone execute X? Sure.

    Did that person think to create X? Apparently not.

    The creation is where we really place value, and rightfully so. But some people forget about the creation altogether and get wrapped up in this idea that it's just about executing something. Probably because most people will never actually create anything.
    While a fair point, I think it still comes down to complexity. I made the mistake many times when the band I was in first started and we were wiring our own songs where I thought the song had to have so many chord changes and parts to make it unique, amazing or enjoyable, when that's just simply not true.

    Your point about creativity is true though, for people who focus on the execution rather than the creation it's easy to completely miss how challenging simply creating something can be.

  3. #47023
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    But trying to insinuate that it should or shouldn't be called music is just pretentious.
    You do realize that I wrote "to my ears", right?
    I have no influence on what my ears perceive as musical or not. It's not as if I could convince them to like sth.
    To me, the linked video sound like random noises and repeated until you hit ALT+F4.

    Playing two instruments myself, I know full well how deceptively simple melodies can sound until you try to play them yourself.

    Just as food for thought: at what point would we stop calling sth music? If I intermingle 2 sine waves of different frequencies in a random pattern, would it still be music?
    Last edited by Granyala; 2019-09-09 at 08:20 PM.

  4. #47024
    Fluffy Kitten Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoco
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    While a fair point, I think it still comes down to complexity. I made the mistake many times when the band I was in first started and we were wiring our own songs where I thought the song had to have so many chord changes and parts to make it unique, amazing or enjoyable, when that's just simply not true.

    Your point about creativity is true though, for people who focus on the execution rather than the creation it's easy to completely miss how challenging simply creating something can be.
    It's kind of a mix for me. I am very picky in terms of music and even the aforementioned weird ones in 70s I don't get either.
    I get creating something, like making my own recipe, drawing and programming games (albeit briefly on this). However it doesn't mean it will be good or enjoyable or what not. I can commend the act of making something and publishing it, doesn't mean it'll be something I find good. In terms of the one linked, it's what I don't like and find very unappealing cause it's just mainly just overpowering bass, which I get some people like... but... ehh...
    I also don't really put a big emphasis on just creating something anyways. If someone makes something bad, it's still going to be bad, you don't get brownie points for making something bad. It may be because I've come mainly from a cooking / culinary background so making your own thing, as everyone that wants to graduate has to anyways, isn't exactly something we get brownie points for. You get judged for your end product.

    Unsure if just me but creativity would denote being more unique and playful with the medium as opposed to formulaic. Typically in media more creative things aren't as enjoyed (in the mass) as compared to formulaic ones.


    Also been leveling up a tank (finally?). Weird to tank things after not tanking since WotLK.

  5. #47025
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I've been working on that, sorta. Almost have every job at 60+, many at 70+. A few at 80. (Not counting crafters/gatherers, which are all 80. Except FSH.)

    But damn, some jobs are frankly just boring to level.
    Some of them I will get to 50 and just let them hit MSQ roulette while I do stuff on a second monitor and let them level quite slowly. Some of the DPS will maximize FATEs and Trust leveling to get the NPCs leveled up.

    I used to do a lot of leveling with beast tribe quests in HW & SB and still using SB ones. Need to remember to do my hunts too. I keep forgetting about those.

    There are jobs I have no interest on with my main character and am only leveling them for the reward. I would rather level some of those jobs on alts, to be honest because it fits a character concept I had when making them.

  6. #47026
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It's kind of a mix for me. I am very picky in terms of music and even the aforementioned weird ones in 70s I don't get either.
    I get creating something, like making my own recipe, drawing and programming games (albeit briefly on this). However it doesn't mean it will be good or enjoyable or what not. I can commend the act of making something and publishing it, doesn't mean it'll be something I find good. In terms of the one linked, it's what I don't like and find very unappealing cause it's just mainly just overpowering bass, which I get some people like... but... ehh...
    I also don't really put a big emphasis on just creating something anyways. If someone makes something bad, it's still going to be bad, you don't get brownie points for making something bad. It may be because I've come mainly from a cooking / culinary background so making your own thing, as everyone that wants to graduate has to anyways, isn't exactly something we get brownie points for. You get judged for your end product.

    Unsure if just me but creativity would denote being more unique and playful with the medium as opposed to formulaic. Typically in media more creative things aren't as enjoyed (in the mass) as compared to formulaic ones.
    Honestly, almost any kind of creation trumps just executing what's been done before. Even if that means combining existing things into something new, as is often the case with music.

    Sure, we can sit back and say, "But that's easy!" or "I coulda done that!" every time someone invents something new, makes a new song, has a new idea, writes a new story, but clearly we didn't or we'd be doing it. No matter how basic it seems.

  7. #47027
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You do realize that I wrote "to my ears", right?
    I have no influence on what my ears perceive as musical or not.
    Then you're not very musically inclined for someone who plays two instruments. I'ma just leave it at that though, you can have the last word there or keep it going with Katchii as this convo is very off topic and there's little value in keeping it going.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

  8. #47028
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Then you're not very musically inclined for someone who plays two instruments.
    What a nonsensical statement.

    Every musician has stuff he detests, professional musicians have to play it anyway because for them it's a job.
    Luckily I don't have to. There is plenty of stuff out there that is both beautiful and musical to my ears, just because I dislike certain things (like Remilia said: the song in question is mainly overpowering bass) doesn't make me "not musically inclined".

    BTW: don't act all high and mighty regarding the off topic nature of this discussion, it was you who started it.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2019-09-10 at 04:02 AM.

  9. #47029
    Fluffy Kitten Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoco
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Honestly, almost any kind of creation trumps just executing what's been done before. Even if that means combining existing things into something new, as is often the case with music.

    Sure, we can sit back and say, "But that's easy!" or "I coulda done that!" every time someone invents something new, makes a new song, has a new idea, writes a new story, but clearly we didn't or we'd be doing it. No matter how basic it seems.
    No where did I say that about saying that? I just don't give much credence to people creating something just cause they did. No where did I say anything about "I could've done that" or "it's easy".

  10. #47030
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    No where did I say that about saying that? I just don't give much credence to people creating something just cause they did. No where did I say anything about "I could've done that" or "it's easy".
    Nor did I say you specifically did? You're not the only other person in the world, ya know.

  11. #47031
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You do realize that I wrote "to my ears", right?
    I have no influence on what my ears perceive as musical or not. It's not as if I could convince them to like sth.
    To me, the linked video sound like random noises and repeated until you hit ALT+F4.

    Playing two instruments myself, I know full well how deceptively simple melodies can sound until you try to play them yourself.

    Just as food for thought: at what point would we stop calling sth music? If I intermingle 2 sine waves of different frequencies in a random pattern, would it still be music?
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    What a nonsensical statement.

    Every musician has stuff he detests, professional musicians have to play it anyway because for them it's a job.
    Luckily I don't have to. There is plenty of stuff out there that is both beautiful and musical to my ears, just because I dislike certain things (like Remilia said: the song in question is mainly overpowering bass) doesn't make me "not musically inclined".

    BTW: don't act all high and mighty regarding the off topic nature of this discussion, it was you who started it.
    Never meant to insinuate that having the opinion in and of itself is bad or pretentious (it is a little...but maybe elitist is a better word) but SAYING it out loud is IMO quite pretentious. Everyone obviously has things they like and don't like for various reasons, I just think statements like that are pointless and serve no purpose except to highlight your (general your) elitist view, or make you sound superior, which just makes you look like a twat IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    No where did I say that about saying that? I just don't give much credence to people creating something just cause they did. No where did I say anything about "I could've done that" or "it's easy".
    Simply creating something is not really anything special, creating something that people like is. Even if you (general you) don't like something, you should still be able to recognize that other people do and at least respect the creator for having the skill and ability to make something other people enjoy.

  12. #47032
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Never meant to insinuate that having the opinion in and of itself is bad or pretentious (it is a little...but maybe elitist is a better word) but SAYING it out loud is IMO quite pretentious. Everyone obviously has things they like and don't like for various reasons, I just think statements like that are pointless and serve no purpose except to highlight your (general your) elitist view, or make you sound superior, which just makes you look like a twat IMO.
    People are free to state if they dislike sth.
    Just b/c sth is a mainstream hit, doesn't mean it's a paragon of quality.

    Yes I know it comes across as snobby/edgy but what can I say: my ears apparently ARE snobs. I'm very happy that we have no blaring radio at work, I'd be tempted to come up with 10000 ways to destroy the darn thing and execute half of them. (Making it look like an accident of course)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Simply creating something is not really anything special, creating something that people like is. Even if you (general you) don't like something, you should still be able to recognize that other people do and at least respect the creator for having the skill and ability to make something other people enjoy.
    Humans are WILDLY different. It's pretty irrelevant what you create, someone is bound to like it.
    Just look at modern art. Boggles my mind, doesn't compute but people go nuts over it.

  13. #47033
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    People are free to state if they dislike sth.
    Just b/c sth is a mainstream hit, doesn't mean it's a paragon of quality.

    Yes I know it comes across as snobby/edgy but what can I say: my ears apparently ARE snobs. I'm very happy that we have no blaring radio at work, I'd be tempted to come up with 10000 ways to destroy the darn thing and execute half of them. (Making it look like an accident of course)
    People can be snobs, people can be elitist, that isn't the problem. Being an elitist or a "snob" isn't inherently bad, those are the kinds of people that usually drive higher quality things within their genre. It's when they announce to the world that they are a snob and an elitist and that other forms of things they deal are "less than" when people take issue with it, and for good reason IMO. Talking down to something serves no other purpose than to try and tell the world you're above it. If someone is truly above it, they just ARE above it, they don't need to convince or announce to anybody else that they are.

    Some opinions, while obviously 100% valid, don't need to be made public information. Nothing good comes from some of them, and this is one of those situations IMO.

    Humans are WILDLY different. It's pretty irrelevant what you create, someone is bound to like it.
    Just look at modern art. Boggles my mind, doesn't compute but people go nuts over it.
    I don't understand modern art either, and after having a discussion about it with someone who is a HUGE fan, it's even more mind boggling. According to him, it's not really even about the art it's about the state of mind of the artist at the time and the kinds of things they're trying to evoke in the viewer/consumer. The actual piece of art could be literal garbage, but because of the context of it and what the artist was trying to convey with it...it's not the art, it's the story and feelings of why the piece is what it is. In short...it's a conversation starter about whatever topic the artist wants people to have based on that art piece. It has very little, if anything, to do with how complicated, complex, etc...it is.

    I think they're all nutcases, specifically the people who willingly spend the money on that stuff. Doesn't mean I can't respect the artist for doing what they do, even if I will never really appreciate they're "thing" I can appreciate the fact that they're making a living from it.

  14. #47034
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I think they're all nutcases, specifically the people who willingly spend the money on that stuff. Doesn't mean I can't respect the artist for doing what they do, even if I will never really appreciate they're "thing" I can appreciate the fact that they're making a living from it.
    You mean "I can appreciate the fact that they're making a killing from it."
    Last time I checked, these artworks are bloody expensive, once your name is known.

    I'll be honest though: I cannot see them as artists (don't ask me why, I just can't). I see them as clever people that exploit trends. Business people, if you so will. The lady that made the annoying song falls into that category.

  15. #47035
    Fluffy Kitten Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoco
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Nor did I say you specifically did? You're not the only other person in the world, ya know.
    Why quote me and use the inclusive we then? Seeing as it has no bearing to what I said then.

  16. #47036
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You mean "I can appreciate the fact that they're making a killing from it."
    Last time I checked, these artworks are bloody expensive, once your name is known.

    I'll be honest though: I cannot see them as artists (don't ask me why, I just can't). I see them as clever people that exploit trends. Business people, if you so will. The lady that made the annoying song falls into that category.
    Depending on the "artist," I wouldn't say they're making a killing. On each art piece maybe, but are they creating and selling enough to "make a killing" in general...I'm not sure. I understated it to emphasize that as long as they're able to live decently off of their work, they're doing pretty good.

    Call them whatever you want though, the title doesn't really have any impact on the fact that they're successful at it. I'll at least give them props for that. They're obviously doing SOMETHING right. Whether an individual appreciates that "something" is irrelevant, but they should still be able to appreciate, or at least acknowledge, their success.

  17. #47037
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Why quote me and use the inclusive we then? Seeing as it has no bearing to what I said then.
    By that logic I would also be saying that I'm saying the very same thing that I'm putting in a negative light.

    Or maybe not everything that's said in a conversation is about you personally and it was a generic reference and you don't need to switch your controls to Extreme Defensive Measures Mode for no sensible reason whatsoever.

    It's one of those two options. I'll leave it in your capable hands.

  18. #47038
    Fluffy Kitten Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoco
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    By that logic I would also be saying that I'm saying the very same thing that I'm putting in a negative light.

    Or maybe not everything that's said in a conversation is about you personally and it was a generic reference and you don't need to switch your controls to Extreme Defensive Measures Mode for no sensible reason whatsoever.

    It's one of those two options. I'll leave it in your capable hands.
    If it delights you to have a sense of superiority then sure whatever. I've asked what that has to do with what I posted as I've not said anything of that nature. If you think that's extreme defensive mode... then... sure I guess. You're talking like everyone can read minds.

  19. #47039
    Well, looks like I'm going to have to move to an EU server if I do decide to continue playing FFXIV.

    My night owl schedule is no more and my only free time between work/studies is going to be during weekends and evenings.

  20. #47040
    Bloodsail Admiral Dugna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    1,086
    so on the topic of the game, DNC is lvl 73 and is the last one I need for my camel bird, excited for this weekend to finally also take a short break from this game

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •