Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Is it just lag or is the game supposed to make you still get hit from marked AoE abilities even if you've moved out of the zone for a solid second or two?
    It could be lag but a lot of the time it's just how the game works. If you're in the aoe when the marker disappears but before the effect goes off you'll still get hit by the aoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Well at least they're being honest now.

Can someone explain in a short and simple way how overmelding works?

for example, I have a 480 crafted ring - it has 1 slot. I can put one +60 in it, another +60 from overmelding?
    How many more?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Can someone explain in a short and simple way how overmelding works?

for example, I have a 480 crafted ring - it has 1 slot. I can put one +60 in it, another +60 from overmelding?
    How many more?
    So for crafted gear you can meld up to 5 slots (assuming it has meld slots and it doesn't have the "Advanced Melding Forbidden" tag). The ones shown on an item (by the green circles) are "assured" slots, so these are 100% melds. Any slots past those are overmeld, and with each additional materia you put in, the chance lowers. You can only overmeld 1 grade 6/8 materia. So if an item has 2 assured slots, you can meld 3 total, if it has 1, you can meld 2 total. After that you'll have to use grade 5/7 (or lower) materia instead.

Also keep in mind the stat caps when you're overmelding!
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2020-05-03 at 12:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps a bit of a random question but seeing as i now have passed level 60, would it be a good choice to pick up a tank or healer off spec?
    Also how do those jobs like gunblade work do they already start at 50?

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Perhaps a bit of a random question but seeing as i now have passed level 60, would it be a good choice to pick up a tank or healer off spec?
    Also how do those jobs like gunblade work do they already start at 50?
    Astrologian, Dark Knight and Machinist start at 30 (50 and access to Ishgard required to unlock)
    Red Mage and Samurai start at 50 (50 required to unlock)
    Dancer and Gunbreaker start at 60 (60 required to unlock)

I'd generally recommend at least trying the roles out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    Astrologian, Dark Knight and Machinist start at 30 (50 and access to Ishgard required to unlock)
    Red Mage and Samurai start at 50 (50 required to unlock)
    Dancer and Gunbreaker start at 60 (60 required to unlock)

I'd generally recommend at least trying the roles out.
    Aha, good to know thanks, time to see what interest me most although a big factor for me is also not having to restart from level 1 again.

Edit: Seems dungeons are finally starting to pick up in difficulty and thus becoming more interesting, just did Great Grubal Library not the most ranged friendly dungeon but short and 2 fun boss fights in there.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2020-05-03 at 04:29 PM.

If you want to do endgame raiding, then yes, having a tank or a healer job would be nice, as they will 1. obviously allow you to get into more groups, and 2. help you gear up faster (as when you queue for a roulette as a max level job, you get currency that can be used to buy endgame gear, and queuing as a tank or a healer let's you get into a roulette in 5 minutes or less).

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Any MMO's combat sucks until you get to max level and engage interesting bosses. More news at 11.
    I actually really enjoyed Blade and Soul's combat well before level cap. It was engaging to try and CC lock, while managing resources and DPS abilities and defensive attacks all simultaneously. It's however true that most MMO's have average combat pre max level, but the argument was that other games do a much better job at pacing than FF14.

Well.. even lancer had more than two buttons by lvl30, not to mention all the cross class stuff and cooldowns.
    But aside from that, It's not like classes like Hunter use much more in PvE. Especially not in Burning Crusader/WotLK
    You didn't even get your third combo hit until 26. Not only that, but it was optimal simply to repeatedly press impulse drive repeatedly over the 1-2 combo anyway back then before that point. I am not counting cooldowns. I'm counting buttons you push more frequently.

Regarding WoW I don't know why you're arguing something about old expansions. Has nothing to do with FF14.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If you want to do endgame raiding, then yes, having a tank or a healer job would be nice, as they will 1. obviously allow you to get into more groups, and 2. help you gear up faster (as when you queue for a roulette as a max level job, you get currency that can be used to buy endgame gear, and queuing as a tank or a healer let's you get into a roulette in 5 minutes or less).
    Nah don't play a tank if you want to do savage raiding. They're by far the most common thing. Healers are rarer, but even DPS, especially melee are often open are often sought after. If all you wanna do is casual stuff, healer is 100% the best bet for fast queues. Tank is good as well, except for alliance roulette.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I actually really enjoyed Blade and Soul's combat well before level cap. It was engaging to try and CC lock, while managing resources and DPS abilities and defensive attacks all simultaneously. It's however true that most MMO's have average combat pre max level, but the argument was that other games do a much better job at pacing than FF14.

You didn't even get your third combo hit until 26. Not only that, but it was optimal simply to repeatedly press impulse drive repeatedly over the 1-2 combo anyway back then before that point. I am not counting cooldowns. I'm counting buttons you push more frequently.

Regarding WoW I don't know why you're arguing something about old expansions. Has nothing to do with FF14.
    Uhm...
    You also had heavy thrust + impulse drive. And you would not spam impulse drive unless you are in a dungeon, due to the positional requirement. In which you weren't more than 50% of the time.
    And why wouldn't I argue about old expansions, FFXIV AAR Beta is old content and Classic and Burning Crusade are still loved by the community, which means the amount of buttons you press hardly means much.
    However, if I go by release date, maybe I should pick MoP I guess.

And as mentioned before, if I look at my hunter. I'm not pressing more than 2-3 buttons either, even at max level.
    KC, Cobra, Barbed. That's the hunter rotation on *max level* in BFA, the rest are cooldowns, which you won't count... so....
    That just means the amount of buttons you press doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-05-04 at 05:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Is it just lag or is the game supposed to make you still get hit from marked AoE abilities even if you've moved out of the zone for a solid second or two?
    It is not lag, it is SE's netcode.
    To put it simply: even if you have 40ms latency to the server, the information in your game client is out of date by around .5 seconds.
    You can feel that not only be AoEs hitting you (or not hitting you if you run in a tiny bit too early), you will also notice it when healing or dispelling debuffs very close to their expiration.

EG: There is one boss in one of the Ivalice raids, that stacks a debuff 5x and then hits the tank. Damage received, depends on the # of stacks the tank has when the attack hits.
    Dispel at 3 stacks and the tank barely takes damage (despite your client showing 2 remaining stacks), dispel at 4 and the tank will take a crapton of damage despite your client showing 0 stacks. What happens is, that serverside, the attack already happened if you dispel at 4, despite it not looking that way to you.

This can be pretty aggravating as a healer at times, esp in savage content that loves to cut down reaction time to a minimum.
    Over time you get used to the delay, similarly to how an organ player gets used to it. But now and then it still gets to you.

In this regard, WoW is infinitely more responsive.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Seems dungeons are finally starting to pick up in difficulty and thus becoming more interesting, just did Great Grubal Library not the most ranged friendly dungeon but short and 2 fun boss fights in there.
    Don't expect it to go further in terms of difficulty. Quite the contrary actually. Leveling dungeons are harder than max level dungeons.

If you want to play a tank at max level, be advised that the community expects you to pull wall to wall and people get pretty pissy if you start pulling groups solo.
    As a healer, you need to be able to compensate for a lot of fails but what else is new. I always chuckle when the gimping DPS (who seem to thing DPS is sth edible and pet bosses to death) typ "gg" or "great run" into the chat. Yeah buddy, lets see how great your run gets if you get a healer not capable of compensating for you standing in virtually everything.

10+ Year Old Account

Don't expect it to go further in terms of difficulty. Quite the contrary actually. Leveling dungeons are harder than max level dungeons.

If you want to play a tank at max level, be advised that the community expects you to pull wall to wall and people get pretty pissy if you start pulling groups solo.
    As a healer, you need to be able to compensate for a lot of fails but what else is new. I always chuckle when the gimping DPS (who seem to thing DPS is sth edible and pet bosses to death) typ "gg" or "great run" into the chat. Yeah buddy, lets see how great your run gets if you get a healer not capable of compensating for you standing in virtually everything.
    Wouldn't necessarily put it that way. While sure, all lvl 80 dungeons are easy, the bosses do have mechanics, and i regularly see people fail them and die. Personally i think bosses are harder than almost every leveling dungeon (starting with HW dungeons, but ramping up. I'd argue that ShB dungeons have the bosses with the most mechanics - still not hard)

I do enjoy some of the bosses - Aumarot for example.

Uhm.. You also had heavy thrust + impulse drive.
    Of which were not used in solo content due to positionals. So, if you were doing dungeons you had HT + ID. If you were doing solo content you had TT and VT.

Either way, 2 buttons. My point. To further elaborate on this, this remained true until HW when they removed the positional requirement for HT to gain the buff.

And why wouldn't I argue about old expansions, FFXIV AAR Beta is old content and Classic and Burning Crusade are still loved by the community, which means the amount of buttons you press hardly means much.
    However, if I go by release date, maybe I should pick MoP I guess.
    I cited the beta to explain how I felt at that given time about ability accrual, and to demonstrate that it has only minorly changed over the years.

You're getting hung up on the # of buttons discussion, when it's not the # of buttons issue we're actually discussing, but the leveling ability accrual curve and how bad it feels in FF14 and whether there is a better alternative.

d as mentioned before, if I look at my hunter. I'm not pressing more than 2-3 buttons either, even at max level.
    KC, Cobra, Barbed. That's the hunter rotation on *max level* in BFA, the rest are cooldowns, which you won't count... so....
    That just means the amount of buttons you press doesn't really matter.
    To be fair, you picked BM Hunter, the class whose fantasy is to AFK while their pet does all the work lol. You're not wrong, but I'm not intimately familiar with the class mechanics to offer a rebuttal, and for that I apologize. I specialize in melee roles and thus my experience is more relevant there.

10+ Year Old Account

A shame but to expected was told earlier that dungeons won't be that challenging. As for being a tank i generally play one and if i can handle the WOW community i am sure this won't bother me either, and it's not like i am thin skinned
    Personally i have found myself guilty of not always moving on my BLM because sometimes you would end up doing nothing at all, it's not that i intentionally run around rolling in all aoe possible though.

All tanks are sort of on the same line so i guess i just need to figure out what feels the most for me warrior has some BDK elements to it and so on.

To be fair, you picked BM Hunter, the class whose fantasy is to AFK while their pet does all the work lol. You're not wrong, but I'm not intimately familiar with the class mechanics to offer a rebuttal, and for that I apologize. I specialize in melee roles and thus my experience is more relevant there.
    To be fair though, the number of buttons used by any class in WoW now, is pretty much the same. BM Hunter uses maybe 2-4, and the fantasy is not to "afk and let your pet do all the work." That may have been somewhat true in Vanilla (which is still a gross exaggeration, IMO) But 2-4 buttons is the same as pretty much everyone else too. I get that the synergy is better with just those 4 buttons than in FFXIV, where the rotation is practically the same all the time, but it still gets incredibly boring after a while to hit the same 2-4 buttons.

Every class plays very similarly now as far as number of buttons, their synergy, and reacting rather than a rotation...at least as far as I can tell having every class to at least 110 and several at 120. So, you may not be intimate with that specific class mechanics, but you are familiar with the overall Blizzard mechanics of class design and game play.

You're getting hung up on the # of buttons discussion, when it's not the # of buttons issue we're actually discussing, but the leveling ability accrual curve and how bad it feels in FF14 and whether there is a better alternative.

I was just pointing out that the # of buttons hardly matters.
    I mean, it's not like Hunter is/was the only class.

Mages, Warlocks didn't press more than 2 buttons either in PvE.
    Most BC rotations where based around a single button + cooldowns on single target.

I'm just saying that it shows it's not really a deciding factor for lots of people, that is all

A shame but to expected was told earlier that dungeons won't be that challenging. As for being a tank i generally play one and if i can handle the WOW community i am sure this won't bother me either, and it's not like i am thin skinned
    Personally i have found myself guilty of not always moving on my BLM because sometimes you would end up doing nothing at all, it's not that i intentionally run around rolling in all aoe possible though.

All tanks are sort of on the same line so i guess i just need to figure out what feels the most for me warrior has some BDK elements to it and so on.
    Warrior is the sustain tank, and best maintank
    GNB is the dps tank
    DRK is the cheese tank
    PLD is the balanced tank

DRK and GNB weave like crazy, so they will have a hell of a learning curve for ya.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    Warrior is the sustain tank, and best maintank
    GNB is the dps tank
    DRK is the cheese tank
    PLD is the balanced tank

DRK and GNB weave like crazy, so they will have a hell of a learning curve for ya.
    Well people said the BLM was hard also and i am doing fine at 60, guess the best way to find out is to just try it.

Thanks for the short summary on all 4.

I was just pointing out that the # of buttons hardly matters.
    Sadly, it does. It does matter a lot when there are heaps of people complaining that a single story mission that makes you play as an NPC with only FOUR buttons is way too hard and that they can't complete it. So much that the devs were forced to add difficulty options to story missions.

I wouldn't worry about people complaining either, as soon as they do they will get crucified.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well people said the BLM was hard also and i am doing fine at 60, guess the best way to find out is to just try it.

My personal favorites from the tanks are PLD and DRK (I have WAR at 80 and the rest at 70). But that is because I find they fit with my playstyle better.

BLM is hard in high end content where if you try to turret, you, or your raid, will die cause of it.

They have High positional requirements.

GNB (haven't leveled drk yet) has periods of double weaving (hitting a gcd ability than 2 ogcds) and has involved combo rotations....while tanking

Not playing them again lel.