Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I've always considered multiplayer games to be a living form of a gordian knot - Where 2, 4, 24, 40 players etc are all tugging at the knot in different ways trying to get it undone. (At least until some Macedonian power gamer comes along and slices it in half)

That kind of setup, in my opinion, creates a blank canvas for the players to tell their own stories within the game. And if the mechanics of Engles were to encourage class struggles and the prolatariat to overthrow the established order, I'd consider that a huge triumph of game design. I don't think symbolising the philosophy with boss model designs or a story that's additional to the gameplay are really as impactful as living out those ideas yourself.

I realise that is an unpopular view here where people tend to prefer the story to be front and center, but hopefully this gives you some insight into my point of view.
    I'm saying the game already embodies that exact thing though. Every piece of group content is that principal at work, where a group of people have to combine their strengths, while overcoming their weaknesses, in order to succeed and triumph.

Half the story of Heavensward was the proletariat struggling and overthrowing the established order. The entirety of Stormblood MSQ was that as well and the ARR touched on it many times.

Trying to cover those relatively esoteric concepts through the context of an MMO boss encounter would fall horribly flat because the context would be COMPLETELY overshadowed by the encounter mechanics (stannd there when X happens, dodge left when Y happens, etc...)and the boss fight itself. I'd like to say nobody, but I'm sure there's at least one person MIGHT thinks this way, so...I'm sure the vast majority of people don't give two shits about the story unfolding or concepts being presented within a boss encounter they care about successfully resolving the encounter mechanics, not dying, doing damage and getting loot. Any philosophical concepts presented would just be ignored for the sake of trying to successfully navigate the mechanics in order to down the boss. Any story presented is digested just before or rigth after the actual fighting is done, but usually not during when there's no pause in combat.

You've established multiple times how little you care about the story in this game, and it shows how little you payed attention to it while playing when the concepts you're saying you wish were in this game and explored, or saying they aren't there at all, are literally front and center of the narrative a lot of the time. Just because they don't put a big glowing arrow or in no uncertain terms outright state "hey the things going on in the narrative are Engles and Hobbes philosophies!" doesn't mean they're not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Low intensity is NOT sth that I would associate with the CTSS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Simulator) a.k.a. Eureka.
    I thought that one was way more intense than even savage raiding. Not on a skill front of course but in terms of repetitive combat actions, Eureka felt extremely taxing. Oo
    no idea what you were doing in eureka. i just enjoyed hanging around the huge zones and talking to people while we smacked some mini bosses down every once in awhile. probably my favorite part of stormblood tbh. it was way less taxing than old relic grinds which was just grinding recycled dungeons over and over with little interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Define intensity within the context of what you're saying? I think I may have a different definition, and thus I actually argue FF14 is overflowing with low-intensity content. I'd be curious.
    Low intensity content that isn't very hard, is easy to pick up and drop without significantly inconveniencing others. Content where it's fine if you go and check the stove every ten minutes or something. For example, in FFXIV, I'd say Beast Tribe dailies, gathering, FATEs, maybe hunts (depending on how exactly the hunt trains work these days).

Like in WoW, world quests, rep grinds, zones like Timeless Isle and Mechagon, and solo farming old raids. Generally, grinding has always been low intensity content, and it's good to have some amount of that. For the times when you log in late at night, or you just want to make a little progress on something without involving other people.

One of the problems I have with FFXIV is that if I log in and don't want to queue for something, there's very little to do.
    Last edited by RohanV; 2019-12-18 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    no idea what you were doing in eureka. i just enjoyed hanging around the huge zones and talking to people while we smacked some mini bosses down every once in awhile.
    Yeah Anemos was like that.
    Once Pagos was released, you had to chainkill mobs because Fates were pretty much nonexistent (and thus no Fate train either).

Anemos was indeed relaxed and fun. Pagos was Hell and I never got past it because my whole group just went "screw this shit".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I actually enjoyed Eureka. It was a great place to put on some music, sit on my sofa and veg out for a while.
    Yeah I guess that's an advantage if you play with a controller.

Hey everyone,

I just found an old time card of mine and so I am returning. I haven't played since the new expansion launched. And was wondering a few things:

1.) I lost my authenticator. How hellish is it to remove from my account, and how long will that take?
    2.) Did they make levelling your first class a bit faster towards the latest expansion? I remember doing the battle on the bridge with the dragon and taking 10-12 attempts because people can't think.
    3.) Is fishing still as awesome as it was?

(last time I played was a few patches before the end of Stormblood)

1) Oof. You'll probably have to contact CS and I would do that BEFORE I reactivate my account because with Christmas coming up, we have no clue as to the time it will take.

2) No, not really any faster but leveling always has been a piece of cake. People will be people but most old encounters had their balls torn off, so don't be afraid of poor Vishap.

3) Unknown, not into capital fishing past completing the questline. Fishing is pretty technical and you can save a lot of time/GP by interpreting rod movements correctly and keeping track of seconds till bite.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Low intensity content that isn't very hard, is easy to pick up and drop without significantly inconveniencing others. Content where it's fine if you go and check the stove every ten minutes or something. For example, in FFXIV, I'd say Beast Tribe dailies, gathering, FATEs, maybe hunts (depending on how exactly the hunt trains work these days).

Like in WoW, world quests, rep grinds, zones like Timeless Isle and Mechagon, and solo farming old raids. Generally, grinding has always been low intensity content, and it's good to have some amount of that. For the times when you log in late at night, or you just want to make a little progress on something without involving other people.

One of the problems I have with FFXIV is that if I log in and don't want to queue for something, there's very little to do.
    Ok fair enough - we're actually in agreement in definition and even in concept I think (let me explain). I actually think FF14 is overflowing with low-intensity content, but how much of it is interesting, repeatable/scalable, or actually fun? Once you remove that (for any given player) you may very well end up left with very little content to enjoy, ESPECIALLY if you don't want to impact other players via queues, etc.

To offer parity - I only enjoy high intensity stuff. There's not a lot of it in the game, what's worse is it's all relegated to the combat engine, which I've written essays about how much room it has for improvement. So while I love high intensity gaming I don't love it all. Take Ultimates for instance. I love the concept and enjoy the race, but I don't enjoy learning ultra long fights in this combat engine. It's exhausting and removes the fun from the encounter. It sucks because I'm more than capable of clearing them and I even have the time to invest to do it, but it's just not fun. Even some Savage encounters take wayy too freaking long (i.e. E2S...). That's why when I game I chase high-intensity stuff to entertain me. I can veg out via other hobbies/mediums.

I still cite some of the end gatekeep bosses (Exdeath/Kefka) as some of the most fun fights to learn because they're very short duration, high intensity encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Ok fair enough - we're actually in agreement in definition and even in concept I think (let me explain). I actually think FF14 is overflowing with low-intensity content, but how much of it is interesting, repeatable/scalable, or actually fun? Once you remove that (for any given player) you may very well end up left with very little content to enjoy, ESPECIALLY if you don't want to impact other players via queues, etc.

To offer parity - I only enjoy high intensity stuff. There's not a lot of it in the game, what's worse is it's all relegated to the combat engine, which I've written essays about how much room it has for improvement. So while I love high intensity gaming I don't love it all. Take Ultimates for instance. I love the concept and enjoy the race, but I don't enjoy learning ultra long fights in this combat engine. It's exhausting and removes the fun from the encounter. It sucks because I'm more than capable of clearing them and I even have the time to invest to do it, but it's just not fun. Even some Savage encounters take wayy too freaking long (i.e. E2S...). That's why when I game I chase high-intensity stuff to entertain me. I can veg out via other hobbies/mediums.

I still cite some of the end gatekeep bosses (Exdeath/Kefka) as some of the most fun fights to learn because they're very short duration, high intensity encounters.
    I think it's important for an MMO to have a range of intensity. I enjoy very high-intensity stuff too, but ideally only a couple times of week. Then lower-intensity stuff at different times. Sometimes you just want to fish for a bit and chat with your guild, for example. An ideal MMO makes you feel good about the low-intensity stuff. For example, fishing giving you mats to make feasts for raids. That's a good interaction between high and low intensity activities.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Hey everyone,

I just found an old time card of mine and so I am returning. I haven't played since the new expansion launched. And was wondering a few things:

1.) I lost my authenticator. How hellish is it to remove from my account, and how long will that take?
    2.) Did they make levelling your first class a bit faster towards the latest expansion? I remember doing the battle on the bridge with the dragon and taking 10-12 attempts because people can't think.
    3.) Is fishing still as awesome as it was?

(last time I played was a few patches before the end of Stormblood)
    CALL them, don't do it through automated electronic means.

I had to replace my phone and didn't have a chance to remove the old authenticator first so I had to remove it from my account before I could put it on my new phone.

The wait can be a while (30-45 minutes) but once you're on the phone with a person they can take care of it in minutes, after you verify that it's your account anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yeah Anemos was like that.
    Once Pagos was released, you had to chainkill mobs because Fates were pretty much nonexistent (and thus no Fate train either).

Anemos was indeed relaxed and fun. Pagos was Hell and I never got past it because my whole group just went "screw this shit".

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I guess that's an advantage if you play with a controller.
    yea that's fair. pagos was actual shit when it was first released. it wasn't too bad after they nerfed it though. pyros and hydatos were basically improved versions of anemos and that's mostly what I'm hoping for if they do the eureka style areas again.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Hey everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    CALL them, don't do it through automated electronic means.

I had to replace my phone and didn't have a chance to remove the old authenticator first so I had to remove it from my account before I could put it on my new phone.

The wait can be a while (30-45 minutes) but once you're on the phone with a person they can take care of it in minutes, after you verify that it's your account anyway.

Re 1. Mine took less than a week to remove. I just contacted customer service and provided the info they requested using the online submission route.

So Katchii's correct - same day via the phone, but not excruciating otherwise either from my experience (everyone's mileage may vary).

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Re 1. Mine took less than a week to remove. I just contacted customer service and provided the info they requested using the online submission route.

So Katchii's correct - same day via the phone, but not excruciating otherwise either from my experience (everyone's mileage may vary).
    Yeah, wasn't trying to insinuate that using the automated electronic system is a bad idea, just that calling them is MUCH faster. Automated service does it with a minimum of hassle, but takes days whereas a phone call can get it done in less than an hour, usually. It all just depends on how long you're willing to wait/ how impatient you are. Personally, I hate having to think about it for longer than I have to so having to check my e-mails multiple times a day for however many days it takes for them to respond/ fix it is just wasted energy and time I could have spent actually playing the game.

Being on hold on the phone isn't nearly as bad as it used to be with the fact that you can use a cell phone and headphones or whatever to carry on with whatever you were going to do anyway while you wait. The last time I had to call I was driving home from a visit to the zoo and had it all taken care of before I even pulled into my driveway.

My authenticator took a few minutes to remove when my phone broke and I didn't have a backup code for it. Contacted customer service over the internet and got in a live chat, and it was removed in minutes. But as people said mileage may vary.

I'm greatly enjoying the Mateus server at the moment, and seeing the live letter state that FFXIV now had over 18m registered accounts was awesome to hear, the game continues to grow. I just moved servers a year ago and already have 3 large houses on one of the more congested servers, 1 personal and 2 FCs. Though I'm having some trouble decorating them. There's so much room and not enough item budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post

Meh it took a week for me to remove it and I never put an authenticator back on. My work hours meant I never could get a chance to call them and the webform took quite a while to work things out.

Honestly I found it astounding that a company like Square can't have 24/7 support like Blizzard.

Herald of the Titans MrPaladinGuy's Avatar
    Just got the Shadowbringers Collectors Edition for $30 ! I still need to finish the Stormblood MSQ though.
    8600K @ 4.8 | 1080 Strix | 16GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 SSD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS | Oculus Rift CV1

Lancer seems like a lot of fun to play can't wait for more skills to use. Feels like I'm playing a bit of hack n slash dynasty warriors

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    Meh it took a week for me to remove it and I never put an authenticator back on. My work hours meant I never could get a chance to call them and the webform took quite a while to work things out.

Honestly I found it astounding that a company like Square can't have 24/7 support like Blizzard.
    Blizzard does not have 24/7 support for a majority of issues

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    Blizzard does not have 24/7 support for a majority of issues
    Blizz's quality of service for support has also drastically fallen since last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Lancer seems like a lot of fun to play can't wait for more skills to use. Feels like I'm playing a bit of hack n slash dynasty warriors
    No AoE until 40 is THE PITS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Blizz's quality of service for support has also drastically fallen since last year.
    haha it's not just the support that has fallen. I'd say the company as a whole pretty much has..

- - - Updated - - -

hmm..do you guys think Blue mage will ever get a 80lvl cap like other jobs or no? It's pretty dumb to raise the job cap slightly and not the same as every other job.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.