Umbrellas were mentioned ages ago as a potential mount, so I'd wager that's what is being referred to this time around as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    • 30% off sale on Mogstation items
    [/list]

Ended at 10:30 PM PST
    When is the mogstation sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    When is the mogstation sale?
    Until Monday, January 19, 2020. Don't know when the start date is.

hope we get a eureka-like area this patch. need a new time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    hope we get a eureka-like area this patch. need a new time sink.
    Damn, you must be desperate if you want such a grindfest only to spend time in a videogame.

God...damnit. I was googling artists that drew FFXIV player characters so I could commission a piece for my small group of friends and one of the links players suggested in an old thread lead to a twitter account of a very skilled artist that had announced he was committing suicide. Of which, he apparently followed through on according to the comments. I feel so fucking depressed right now...

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    [SNIP]
    As @Faroth already said though, those principals and everything you're describing are already clearly on display in pretty much every MMO out there through the construct of the game itself as a function of the grouping system and having to work together to clear the content.

The only ting they would have needed to do was have the dialogue call it out so that you paid attention to it, but IMO that would have been incredibly contrived and honestly most players would ignore it or just not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    As @Faroth already said though, those principals and everything you're describing are already clearly on display in pretty much every MMO out there through the construct of the game itself as a function of the grouping system and having to work together to clear the content.
    I would argue that those are a function of the game systems, not expressed though the mechanics. It's hard to examine the flaws and where those ideas break down through an automated system, where you can look at ways we take those ideas for granted and examine edge cases where those social rules break through a boss encounter.

I agree that it wouldn't be easy to do it, but it's absolutely something that is possible - And only possible in an environment where you're forced to interact with other players. Most of whom are complete strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    God...damnit. I was googling artists that drew FFXIV player characters so I could commission a piece for my small group of friends and one of the links players suggested in an old thread lead to a twitter account of a very skilled artist that had announced he was committing suicide. Of which, he apparently followed through on according to the comments. I feel so fucking depressed right now...
    ouch. thats absolutely terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Damn, you must be desperate if you want such a grindfest only to spend time in a videogame.
    I think MMOs work best when they have content of varying "intensity". FFXIV is currently lacking in low-intensity content, other than maybe hunts, and that was niche Eureka filled. If FATEs were more active, they'd be a good substitute, but they seem to have died down.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I think MMOs work best when they have content of varying "intensity". FFXIV is currently lacking in low-intensity content, other than maybe hunts, and that was niche Eureka filled. If FATEs were more active, they'd be a good substitute, but they seem to have died down.
    Define intensity within the context of what you're saying? I think I may have a different definition, and thus I actually argue FF14 is overflowing with low-intensity content. I'd be curious.

I would argue that those are a function of the game systems, not expressed though the mechanics. It's hard to examine the flaws and where those ideas break down through an automated system, where you can look at ways we take those ideas for granted and examine edge cases where those social rules break through a boss encounter.

I agree that it wouldn't be easy to do it, but it's absolutely something that is possible - And only possible in an environment where you're forced to interact with other players. Most of whom are complete strangers.
    I'd rather they try and capture these concepts through a story rather than through an encounter as the nuances and concepts would likely be lost on the vast majority of players if they were discussed or covered within the encounter itself.

To your point though, whether it's a function of the game system or not, the concepts already exist within the game, they're just not discussed within the context of those ideologies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Low intensity is NOT sth that I would associate with the CTSS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Simulator) a.k.a. Eureka.
    I thought that one was way more intense than even savage raiding. Not on a skill front of course but in terms of repetitive combat actions, Eureka felt extremely taxing. Oo

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'd rather they try and capture these concepts through a story rather than through an encounter as the nuances and concepts would likely be lost on the vast majority of players if they were discussed or covered within the encounter itself.

To your point though, whether it's a function of the game system or not, the concepts already exist within the game, they're just not discussed within the context of those ideologies.
    I've always considered multiplayer games to be a living form of a gordian knot - Where 2, 4, 24, 40 players etc are all tugging at the knot in different ways trying to get it undone. (At least until some Macedonian power gamer comes along and slices it in half)

That kind of setup, in my opinion, creates a blank canvas for the players to tell their own stories within the game. And if the mechanics of Engles were to encourage class struggles and the prolatariat to overthrow the established order, I'd consider that a huge triumph of game design. I don't think symbolising the philosophy with boss model designs or a story that's additional to the gameplay are really as impactful as living out those ideas yourself.

I realise that is an unpopular view here where people tend to prefer the story to be front and center, but hopefully this gives you some insight into my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Define intensity within the context of what you're saying? I think I may have a different definition, and thus I actually argue FF14 is overflowing with low-intensity content. I'd be curious.
    I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but FF14 is my go to low intensity game. Then again, I don't really bother raiding, my gear is always the bare minimum for content I'm doing and has no materia in at all. It's a nice way just to switch off and just do whatever for an hour or so.

I realise that some of the Savage and EX modes are more intense content, and it's not that I consider myself incapable for completing them - In fact I'm 100% sure I could get them done, but I've done the hardcore raiding thing in WoW and I don't have the time or the patience for it anymore .

That kind of intense content is very sparse however. The vast majority of content requires very little of me and I'm perfectly okay with that.

Not on a skill front of course but in terms of repetitive combat actions, Eureka felt extremely taxing. Oo
    I actually enjoyed Eureka. It was a great place to put on some music, sit on my sofa and veg out for a while. That being said, I only did it in small doses. I can see why it would get tedious maxing everything out every week, especially on multiple jobs
    Last edited by StrawberryZebra; 2019-12-17 at 09:54 PM.

I've always considered multiplayer games to be a living form of a gordian knot - Where 2, 4, 24, 40 players etc are all tugging at the knot in different ways trying to get it undone. (At least until some Macedonian power gamer comes along and slices it in half)

That kind of setup, in my opinion, creates a blank canvas for the players to tell their own stories within the game. And if the mechanics of Engles were to encourage class struggles and the prolatariat to overthrow the established order, I'd consider that a huge triumph of game design. I don't think symbolising the philosophy with boss model designs or a story that's additional to the gameplay are really as impactful as living out those ideas yourself.

I realise that is an unpopular view here where people tend to prefer the story to be front and center, but hopefully this gives you some insight into my point of view.
    I'm saying the game already embodies that exact thing though. Every piece of group content is that principal at work, where a group of people have to combine their strengths, while overcoming their weaknesses, in order to succeed and triumph.

Half the story of Heavensward was the proletariat struggling and overthrowing the established order. The entirety of Stormblood MSQ was that as well and the ARR touched on it many times.

Trying to cover those relatively esoteric concepts through the context of an MMO boss encounter would fall horribly flat because the context would be COMPLETELY overshadowed by the encounter mechanics (stannd there when X happens, dodge left when Y happens, etc...)and the boss fight itself. I'd like to say nobody, but I'm sure there's at least one person MIGHT thinks this way, so...I'm sure the vast majority of people don't give two shits about the story unfolding or concepts being presented within a boss encounter they care about successfully resolving the encounter mechanics, not dying, doing damage and getting loot. Any philosophical concepts presented would just be ignored for the sake of trying to successfully navigate the mechanics in order to down the boss. Any story presented is digested just before or rigth after the actual fighting is done, but usually not during when there's no pause in combat.

You've established multiple times how little you care about the story in this game, and it shows how little you payed attention to it while playing when the concepts you're saying you wish were in this game and explored, or saying they aren't there at all, are literally front and center of the narrative a lot of the time. Just because they don't put a big glowing arrow or in no uncertain terms outright state "hey the things going on in the narrative are Engles and Hobbes philosophies!" doesn't mean they're not there.

Low intensity is NOT sth that I would associate with the CTSS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Simulator) a.k.a. Eureka.
    I thought that one was way more intense than even savage raiding. Not on a skill front of course but in terms of repetitive combat actions, Eureka felt extremely taxing. Oo
    no idea what you were doing in eureka. i just enjoyed hanging around the huge zones and talking to people while we smacked some mini bosses down every once in awhile. probably my favorite part of stormblood tbh. it was way less taxing than old relic grinds which was just grinding recycled dungeons over and over with little interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Low intensity content that isn't very hard, is easy to pick up and drop without significantly inconveniencing others. Content where it's fine if you go and check the stove every ten minutes or something. For example, in FFXIV, I'd say Beast Tribe dailies, gathering, FATEs, maybe hunts (depending on how exactly the hunt trains work these days).

Like in WoW, world quests, rep grinds, zones like Timeless Isle and Mechagon, and solo farming old raids. Generally, grinding has always been low intensity content, and it's good to have some amount of that. For the times when you log in late at night, or you just want to make a little progress on something without involving other people.

One of the problems I have with FFXIV is that if I log in and don't want to queue for something, there's very little to do.
    Last edited by RohanV; 2019-12-18 at 12:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    no idea what you were doing in eureka. i just enjoyed hanging around the huge zones and talking to people while we smacked some mini bosses down every once in awhile.
    Yeah Anemos was like that.
    Once Pagos was released, you had to chainkill mobs because Fates were pretty much nonexistent (and thus no Fate train either).

Anemos was indeed relaxed and fun. Pagos was Hell and I never got past it because my whole group just went "screw this shit".

- - - Updated - - -

I actually enjoyed Eureka. It was a great place to put on some music, sit on my sofa and veg out for a while.
    Yeah I guess that's an advantage if you play with a controller.

Hey everyone,

I just found an old time card of mine and so I am returning. I haven't played since the new expansion launched. And was wondering a few things:

1.) I lost my authenticator. How hellish is it to remove from my account, and how long will that take?
    2.) Did they make levelling your first class a bit faster towards the latest expansion? I remember doing the battle on the bridge with the dragon and taking 10-12 attempts because people can't think.
    3.) Is fishing still as awesome as it was?

(last time I played was a few patches before the end of Stormblood)

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Oof. You'll probably have to contact CS and I would do that BEFORE I reactivate my account because with Christmas coming up, we have no clue as to the time it will take.

2) No, not really any faster but leveling always has been a piece of cake. People will be people but most old encounters had their balls torn off, so don't be afraid of poor Vishap.

3) Unknown, not into capital fishing past completing the questline. Fishing is pretty technical and you can save a lot of time/GP by interpreting rod movements correctly and keeping track of seconds till bite.