Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I think WoW has proven with Darnassus that it can indeed be done.
    The problem is, as you already state, DEV effort. It just doesn't seem to be feasible to follow through to the end, incl. recouping, building them NE's a new city etc.
    Indeed, it's a big chunk of work.

Absolutely but why did you feel that way? Because NPCs were threatened. NPCs we came to care about. That's basically the only thing left to an MMO, since they can't ever actually harm the player character. In that regard, SE did a wonderful job in ShB so far. I just wish there would be consequences for Ifalna. E.g. psychological scars or anything to indicate that it was actually quite horrible what she had to go through. Imho more so than the usual horrors of war my little kitten has to witness on a daily basis.
    The NPC's, indeed. But also because they did a really good job of setting up the atmosphere and feeling that I was really being forced out of everything I was accustomed to and into this new land with an uncertain future and unsteady ground under my feet.

Of course, there weren't really any gameplay changes. And every new expansion in every MMO generally has you going to "a new land". But it was just done masterfully. It didn't feel nearly as empty as MMO storytelling usually does, and maybe for just a minute it made me forget about stats and loot and farming and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    and maybe for just a minute it made me forget about stats and loot and farming and shit.
    Haha, well, being retired from raiding I rarely think about these things, esp during leveling.

I felt that ShB did a good job with the "weird new land" too, imho they should have restricted porting back into the first far longer. Basically trap the player there until the story is concluded. Though I don't doubt that would cause major forum drama.

Given FFXIV's hesitance to do anything with drastic consequences (the Seventh Calamity didn't wipe out any of the city states or major characters, all characters deaths and implied deaths in the 2.55 ending were retconned in HW, the cataclysmic battle between Shinryu and Omega left no apparent devastation in Ala Mhigo, Ala Mhigo and Doma are casually liberated overnight with few casualties, the Empire decides to get series and sends a mass invasion fleet but nobody dies, etc). Sure, the First or a city state could be lost, but at this point I doubt it will happen.

I think at most, we will see a few character deaths in the final stretch of the story... which would be an odd place to put it. IMO, if you want to do character deaths, you want to do them in the middle part of the story. If you want a feel good happy ending, you don't want to backload character deaths, or otherwise the audience will walk away with a more bitter sweet feeling with the character deaths still in recent memory.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

how is the patch looking for february?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    how is the patch looking for february?
    • Continuation of the MSQ
    • New dungeon
    • New beast tribe
    • New trial
    • + another secret trial (possibly MSQ related?)
    • Eden wing 2 (+ 4 new boss fights)
    • New upgradeable equipment quest, set in Hrothgar capital
    • Ishgard restoration continues
    • Miscellaneous: Diadem reworked, upgradeable tools for crafters, Ocean fishing, new Leap of Faith puzzles

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    • Continuation of the MSQ
    • New dungeon
    • New beast tribe
    • New trial
    • + another secret trial (possibly MSQ related?)
    • Eden wing 2 (+ 4 new boss fights)
    • New upgradeable equipment quest, set in Hrothgar capital
    • Ishgard restoration continues
    • Miscellaneous: Diadem reworked, upgradeable tools for crafters, Ocean fishing, new Leap of Faith puzzles
    ooh thanks!

I have a question about boss fate loot cooldown. Is there one and if so..what's the timer?

Only boss fate loot of relevance I'm aware of are guaranteed drops of the really big ones (if you manage gold participation) and with these the CD is the fate spawn timer itself.

Only boss fate loot of relevance I'm aware of are guaranteed drops of the really big ones (if you manage gold participation) and with these the CD is the fate spawn timer itself.
    I was told archaeotonia had a 72h loot timer. So it's only by spawn timer? what if you kill arch then find him up on another server, can you loot both or have to wait?

I was told archaeotonia had a 72h loot timer. So it's only by spawn timer? what if you kill arch then find him up on another server, can you loot both or have to wait?
    That I cannot answer, I've never tried server hopping.
    It's quite possible that they implemented a loot timer with the world visit feature.

There is no loot timer on the boss fates. The only timer on it is the spawn timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post

Sure, but all that is pointless in the face of Garlean air superiority. Which is a topic that really hasn't been addressed much in the story, honestly. We just kinda pretend they're too busy with other stuff all the time.
    Their air superiority ended in the pre-1.0 stuff, the Agrias was their haymaker and it and most of their air support got taken down by Middy when they woke him up from his nap and he sent the dravanians after the Garlean airship fleet. And then Cid comes along not much longer and gives them knowledge of airships, how to make them, and probably what their weaknesses are. Their air force is still dangerous, but it's not at the point of ending wars before they begin like it was for the Isenbard settlements, Doma, and Ala Mhigo.

Edit: Didn't see I skipped a page full of people saying the same stuff as me, whoops

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I can accept the WoL casually smashing up Magitek Scorpions that would otherwise obliterate entire armies. The problem arises when you're doing it alongside three other players, and the narrative keeps insisting that their involvement as "your adventurer friends" is in fact canon, which implies that adventurers too can casually smash up Magitek Scorpions.
    The way they used to phrase it in 1.0, and attempted to phrase it in 2.0 onward but have forgotten and remembered about it as-needed. The viewpoint character/player/warrior of light is just the strongest of the chosen ones, but there's still other chosen ones.

The Echo is relatively common among people with high enough aether concentration to already be out there making a name for themselves and showing off power, and itself acts as kinda of a capacity upgrade for their aetherpool putting them a level above your normal adventurer.

And then you throw in the Blessing of Light proper, which is what makes the Warrior of Light such an unholy monstrosity that gods are in awe of us by the end of Heavensward alone, but other adventurers do also have the Blessing of Light/Echo combo supercharging them, just not as crazily as the Warrior does.

I treat it with Jojo logic; Strong people with strong powers find themselves drawn to each other.

Shadowbringers at least dances around all of it though, canonically presumably all the mandatory dungeons from here on out will be done with Trusts.
    Last edited by Veluren; 2020-01-14 at 08:56 AM.

5.2 website is up.

Can't wait for more Elidibus.

btw if I create a new recruitment code but the previous one wasnt used yet, does it eliminate the older one?

Anybody still alive here?

Apart from me doing the pixie quests to level secondary classes, my cat is having a really nice vacation.

I would like to say yes. The honest answer is no.

There's no mindless abnegation content in Shadowbringers yet. I don't care at all for the Nier themed 24 man content, nor the other features like Ishgard Restoration and especially not New Game Plus - without XP, there's no incentive for me to bother with it at all. I've always considered player housing to be a complete and utter waste of time.

I never bothered joining a FC, have exactly zero people on my friends list and never wanted to commit to joining a static to do raiding content. It leaves me with no social ties to the game at all.

I'm at a place now where I've got little left to really log in for. Shadowbringers has taken too many steps in the wrong directions for me to enjoy it. So I unsubbed, and quite frankly I can't see myself ever coming back.

Apart from me doing the pixie quests to level secondary classes, my cat is having a really nice vacation.
    I'm still doing some stuff but mostly this time of year i'm catching up on all the stuff i missed in the 2019 churn like Outer Worlds, Surge 2, A Plagues Tale and so on.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

I'm around, I just don't tend to post as much these days. I'm still playing the game but it's mostly just a case of going through the motions until 5.2 is here. I'm looking forward to the patch and have been working on getting all my crafters and gatherers to 80 in preparation for the new Ishgard restoration content. I just have LTW and ARM left and they're both in the mid 70's.

I'm curious as to what additional information we'll be getting about 5.2 during the upcoming Live Letter.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I would like to say yes. The honest answer is no.

There's no mindless abnegation content in Shadowbringers yet. I don't care at all for the Nier themed 24 man content, nor the other features like Ishgard Restoration and especially not New Game Plus - without XP, there's no incentive for me to bother with it at all. I've always considered player housing to be a complete and utter waste of time.

I never bothered joining a FC, have exactly zero people on my friends list and never wanted to commit to joining a static to do raiding content. It leaves me with no social ties to the game at all.

I'm at a place now where I've got little left to really log in for. Shadowbringers has taken too many steps in the wrong directions for me to enjoy it. So I unsubbed, and quite frankly I can't see myself ever coming back.
    any MMO is designed to be played with friends/guidlies otherwise things get boring way too fast as there is only so much you can do on your own, playing with other people is what keeps many interesting in playing games.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    any MMO is designed to be played with friends/guidlies otherwise things get boring way too fast as there is only so much you can do on your own, playing with other people is what keeps many interesting in playing games.
    Yup, MMOs pretty much suck as a single player game.
    Since I quit savage raiding, FF-XIV sure has become more single-player for me because my raid group has been pretty much inactive since.
    Hence the vacation for my cat.

Anyhow I managed to finish Xenoblade Chronicles and am not tackling Xenoblade Chronicles X. Emulators are a blessing, can't wait for Yuzu to be ready for XBC 2.