10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Also, we just wiped for the first time in a Critical Engagement. We were fighting Patriot. Half of the 48 man raid was wiped out by the lasers. We were waiting for rezzes that never came. No idea what the people who could rez were doing, but then the lasers hit again and there were four people left, and then they got lazered and that was GG.
    Yeah that one is annoying. We wiped twice on him but I think I got the mechanic now.
    Each cannon needs two tether connections either at the same time or in succession to fire. That way, you can predict and evade.

I should hit rank eight when next I play. I managed to get the robot cat minion and the mount from lockboxes.

I also finally updated my forum avatar since I haven't been playing a Hyur for months, now.

10+ Year Old Account
    And done with the relic.

Far more efficient to do it in HW content. Around 2hrs of FATEs + 6 dungeons.

apparently 15 is the cap and it just unlocks more powerful lost actions you need for star mobs and some solo engagements, everything else stops at 10 in terms of unlocks so if you just want the relic and the story thats where it ends, for now at least.

Dude. Come on. You guys have summoners who have Egis that fight for you. It's literally the same thing.
    It's really not. Egi's are only able to be summoned by those with the appropriate power and abilities, and ONLY because of that individuals power and abilities.

Machines are just built and programmed, no individual power or ability necessary, at least not on the front line, the creator sits back in a lab just cranking them out, whereas the summoner has to be right there fighting alongside them.

Also, we just wiped for the first time in a Critical Engagement. We were fighting Patriot. Half of the 48 man raid was wiped out by the lasers. We were waiting for rezzes that never came. No idea what the people who could rez were doing, but then the lasers hit again and there were four people left, and then they got lazered and that was GG.
    I'm noticing that everyone is leveling in Bozja, which I can't blame them for, but I see no healers which means very few rezzes outside of the Pheonix Down ability which has limited uses. That leaves very few people that can rez in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'm noticing that everyone is leveling in Bozja, which I can't blame them for, but I see no healers which means very few rezzes outside of the Pheonix Down ability which has limited uses. That leaves very few people that can rez in battle.
    Really? in my runs thus far its been almost entirely warriors, white mages and red mages with the odd one or two of every other job now and then. I've been seeing the 'res a stranger' acheivements popping constantly, especially in area two once the red chocobos show up.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Really? in my runs thus far its been almost entirely warriors, white mages and red mages with the odd one or two of every other job now and then. I've been seeing the 'res a stranger' acheivements popping constantly, especially in area two once the red chocobos show up.
    The one time I was there was almost entirely tanks (WAR and GNB specifically) and melee DPS, I've seen maybe 1-2 healers, and exactly 1 red mage.

Granted I was only in there like an hour or so yesterday, but it was during prime time and people were dying constantly which simply tells me there aren't enough (or any) healers. Luckily you can switch jobs there, so I'm sure those achievements you saw were from people who were asked for a rez and switched to a job that could and then immediately switched back once the rez was done.

The one time I was there was almost entirely tanks (WAR and GNB specifically) and melee DPS, I've seen maybe 1-2 healers, and exactly 1 red mage.

Granted I was only in there like an hour or so yesterday, but it was during prime time and people were dying constantly which simply tells me there aren't enough (or any) healers. Luckily you can switch jobs there, so I'm sure those achievements you saw were from people who were asked for a rez and switched to a job that could and then immediately switched back once the rez was done.
    I'd level a rezzer, but I already have Red Mage and White Mage at 80. Astrologian is at 30, and I haven't unlocked Scholar on my main yet (I levelled one one to 75 on my alt).

- - - Updated - - -

I love the new Lost action/item system in Bozja.

I can tank as a DPS. The taunt item even doubles as a tank mitigation ability!

I can DPS as a tank.

I can DPS as a healer.

I can go the high risk, high reward route by increasingly my DPS tremendously, but at the cost of gimping my health and defense. Only really do this if you have someone else to tank the mob's auto attacks and you've got the AoEs memorized. Kinda reminds me of how in Transistor, if you were really good at the game and wanted a challenge, you could gimp yourself (turn off abilities, lower your HP, etc) but gain more a huge amount of attack power, allowing you to tune the difficulty of the game without going the route of having artificial difficulty settings that just raise the numbers on the mobs.

I'm hoping that Bozja is being used as a test bed for this system, so next expansion these ideas could be carried over into open world and dungeon gameplay, really letting you mix and match your playstyle.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-10-14 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Losing progress from dying, why is it even in the game? I know it was in Eureka for example but it just doesn't make any sense in a game like FFXIV where combat is so unforgiving and deadly: Basically if you get hit you die in this content and can say goodbye to everything you've achieved in last 20 minutes. It's even worse with massive amount of players in the Fate and screen is cluttered and can't see anything.
    I think the game designers are trying to incentivize people to change classes to a rezzer and rez each other. Perhaps they're hoping that will help encourage people to group up.

Additionally the Chokepoints in the Bozja zone, it's way too difficult to travel from zone to zone when there is only one land route to the 2nd zone and only one Aetheryte which is for some reason at the same side where the chokepoint is. I'm not asking for flying but travelling via land from zone to zone should be at least an option. Now, if you start at the main hub of the zone, and the only Fate is on the 2nd zone above the main hub, good luck getting there in time...
    Agreed. The map is not well designed for easy travel from one event to the next like Timeless Isle. I think one of the things that made Timeless Isle work so well is that there weren't many obstructions to wherever you wanted to go. The only real problem was if you wanted to get to the upper area, so you would have to go all the way around to the ramp and slowly go up. But if there was an event down below and you were in the upper area, you could just jump down and pop a glider/slow fall or a shield, or jump from rock to rock to minimize fall damage.

Bozja's geography seems to increase in elevation as you go further in, but unlike Timeless Isle, you can't just jump down from a higher area to a lower area. There are barriers/invisible walls blocking your way, so you HAVE to either go all away around, or you have to go to the nearest aetheryte crystal and teleport.

Another thing that made Timeless Isle work was that it was relatively small. You could ride from one end of the map to another in under a minute, but in Bozja the map is really large and your mount speed is slow, and there are a lot of terrain obstacles in your way. It also doesn't help that you have to constantly go out of your way to avoid mobs, because the mobs will follow you very far (whereas in Timeless Isle, the only mob you had to worry about pulling where those Ordo Warbringers that would charge and stun you). At least Bozja doesn't have ludicrously dense mob packs like post MoP-zones or post PoF GW2, where you can't walk five feet without pulling some mob.

- - - Updated - - -

Death penalty

Hm... now that I think about it, the real reason why you lose a ton of mettle upon return is that the devs are probably trying to prevent people from just zerg rushing the FATEs.

In Timeless Isle and GW2, a lot of the mobs weren't designed well (early days of telegraphing attacks in MMOs and not all mobs used them, lots of auto attacks that hit hard and sudden attacks that hit everybody before anyone could reasonably react or know was coming), so a lot of people and died. They respawned, and just rushed back to the fight. So it wasn't really a matter of how skilled you were or how coordinated the group was (due to poor mob design), but a matter of your perseverance and whether or not you had to gold to pay the repair bill.

In FFXIV, your repair bill is ultra cheap, and you can immediately teleport to a nearby TP upon death. So a zerg rush is a valid concern. You can already see them trying to combat that by separating the Critical Engagements from everyone else.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    I'm leveling whm and every time I've been there all I see in and out of groups is other whm and tons of healers. I guess all your healers end up in my instances lol

I'm hoping that Bozja is being used as a test bed for this system, so next expansion these ideas could be carried over into open world and dungeon gameplay, really letting you mix and match your playstyle.
    Wasn't this system already in Eureka? I never got to play Eureka but just asking based on what I've seen people comment about Bojza and it being "recycled content."
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

I'd level a rezzer, but I already have Red Mage and White Mage at 80. Astrologian is at 30, and I haven't unlocked Scholar on my main yet (I levelled one one to 75 on my alt).

- - - Updated - - -

I love the new Lost action/item system in Bozja.

I can tank as a DPS. The taunt item even doubles as a tank mitigation ability!

I can DPS as a tank.

I can DPS as a healer.

I can go the high risk, high reward route by increasingly my DPS tremendously, but at the cost of gimping my health and defense. Only really do this if you have someone else to tank the mob's auto attacks and you've got the AoEs memorized. Kinda reminds me of how in Transistor, if you were really good at the game and wanted a challenge, you could gimp yourself (turn off abilities, lower your HP, etc) but gain more a huge amount of attack power, allowing you to tune the difficulty of the game without going the route of having artificial difficulty settings that just raise the numbers on the mobs.

All of those are the same as the logos actions from eureka. And while nice to play with should be left as is. They'd be terrible to try and balance.

It's really not. Egi's are only able to be summoned by those with the appropriate power and abilities, and ONLY because of that individuals power and abilities.

Machines are just built and programmed, no individual power or ability necessary, at least not on the front line, the creator sits back in a lab just cranking them out, whereas the summoner has to be right there fighting alongside them.
    To be fair, quite a few Garlean constructs are piloted directly. Furthermore, the vast majority of Pureblood Garleans cannot manipulate aether so it isn't 'cowardice' to make use of what tools they do have at their disposal. Interestingly enough, a large part as to why Garlemald even exists in its current form is due to its people being persecuted and driven to near extinction by their aether wielding neighbours.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    All of those are the same as the logos actions from eureka. And while nice to play with should be left as is. They'd be terrible to try and balance.
    I understand they would be broken and need a lot of balancing in instanced content but I think they would be fine in the open world.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    So the PvE content for this patch is just FATEs?
    There are new story quests for bozjan and a new step on the relic weapon, a new progression system for the Bozjan front and the zone itself. Theres also new steps on the Ishgard restoration, i believe.
    You seen many mmo's adding that much content on a .5 patch? Cause i haven't.
    5.4 is coming out in december with more raids and MSQ.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-10-15 at 01:00 AM.

Bozja rank 9 quest

Spoiler: 

So the lady general left Bozja, leaving the Elezen guy in charge. I'm guessing that the Elezen guy will be the final boss of the Bozja South Castrum. So that means... either the lady general dies in a quest and Noah is the final boss of Bozja North, or... she is the final boss of Bozja North, and Noah lives on to be dealt with in 6.0? I'd imagine that Noah will be defeated when Princess Ashe comes out of hiding and leads the Resistance to liberate Dalmasca, and so far there is no indication that Dalmasca will be liberated in the Bozja questline.

The female Hrothgar sorta look like the Sovanis from The Last Remnant. It's the ears and the curvature of the face, I think.

Wait, what happened to the original Queen? Did she go into hiding? Or did she commit suicide?

Holy crap it's Aulus' echo extractor, the thing that butchered hundreds and hundreds of people. RIP Makoto. Well, I guess Krile lived (because she had the echo?), so maybe Makoto will live?

- - - Updated - - -

Darn.

To do the final quest (rank 10), you need to do a critical engagement where you break into the Castrum. Except there are two problems. First, the engagement hardly ever pops. You'll have to pretty much just AFK in the instance waiting for it to pop, or hop from instance to instance hoping to catch the engagement in the recruitment phase. Second problem: not enough people to do it. Usually when I found the engagement, there were maybe 2 or 3 more people who signed up.

I then got really lucky and an engagement popped and 21 other people joined in. 21 out of 48 wasn't too bad. We communicated through /yell. The fight is like Galakras from Siege of Orgrimmar in that you need one party going up the towers to stop the artillery from firing down at us, while the rest of the raid is down below fighting the boss. We were doing really well. We downed the boss and entered the add phase, when the healer of the top group died. Apparently he was their only healer, so top wiped and then the Garleans fired artillery down upon us and that was GG. By this point, there was 9 minutes left and there wasn't enough time to redo the encounter, let alone any stuff that might come after.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    To be fair, quite a few Garlean constructs are piloted directly. Furthermore, the vast majority of Pureblood Garleans cannot manipulate aether so it isn't 'cowardice' to make use of what tools they do have at their disposal. Interestingly enough, a large part as to why Garlemald even exists in its current form is due to its people being persecuted and driven to near extinction by their aether wielding neighbours.
    I wasn't commenting on cowardice at least I wasn't meaning to, just that an Egi and a Machine are different things.

As many Garlean machines are piloted, there are many that are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Darn.

To do the final quest (rank 10), you need to do a critical engagement where you break into the Castrum. Except there are two problems. First, the engagement hardly ever pops. You'll have to pretty much just AFK in the instance waiting for it to pop, or hop from instance to instance hoping to catch the engagement in the recruitment phase. Second problem: not enough people to do it. Usually when I found the engagement, there were maybe 2 or 3 more people who signed up.

I then got really lucky and an engagement popped and 21 other people joined in. 21 out of 48 wasn't too bad. We communicated through /yell. The fight is like Galakras from Siege of Orgrimmar in that you need one party going up the towers to stop the artillery from firing down at us, while the rest of the raid is down below fighting the boss. We were doing really well. We downed the boss and entered the add phase, when the healer of the top group died. Apparently he was their only healer, so top wiped and then the Garleans fired artillery down upon us and that was GG. By this point, there was 9 minutes left and there wasn't enough time to redo the encounter, let alone any stuff that might come after.
    I hate to break it to you, but that's only the FIRST fight in that engagement. It's a full on raid "dungeon" with a total of 4 encounters.

Just watched a video about it to see what we were missing because the same basic thing happened where one group died and we wiped and my eyes popped out after seeing just how much more of the "critical engagement" there is.

After leveling from 5-10 today in ~4 hours, seeing people commenting on how difficult it is to find a group and how infrequently in pops, I'm not hopeful of being able to complete it anytime soon. With that said, the quest DOES say that the frequency of that engagement popping is entirely reliant on the number of people in the instance who are capable of doing it, so as time goes on and more people are Resistance Level 10+ the number of people in the instance that are that level will go up, which will increase the frequency it pops, and improve our chances of successfully completing it.....hopefully. The encounters don't look particularly difficult, so long as you have the required number of people to do them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Wasn't this system already in Eureka? I never got to play Eureka but just asking based on what I've seen people comment about Bojza and it being "recycled content."
    Yes. Most lost actions are carbon copies of Logos Actions.

LoL @ "high risk high reward route."
    What risk? Most stuff in the later critical engagements is instagib anyway, so you can down your defense all you like, it won't make much of a difference.
    What reward? Normal Skirmishes already die so fast that you often miss them and normal trashmobs are completely useless.

- - - Updated - - -

First, the engagement hardly ever pops.
    It will pop more often once more people level up. It's keyed to how many eligible people are in the zone.

Apparently clusters ONLY DROP from normal, non-FATE Garlean warmachines. So you need to either be apart of a cluster farm that only focuses on those mobs, or you need to try to aggro the warmachina into AoE mosh pits of the FATEs.

- - - Updated - - -

So I managed to get another Castrum group. We had 27 people. First attempt we had too many people on bottom, so the bottom boss was dying faster than top (which was at 40%). We had to say in /yell "STOP DPS ON BOSS!" at around 15%. Then the add phase began, which spawns a lot of adds that share the same model as the boss. The adds had to be killed quickly before they destroyed the battering ram (which was at 10% HP left because people weren't standing in the stack or catching the tethers). I think some people panicked, and just clicked anything that looked like an add... and inadvertently killed the boss. Since the bottom boss was dead and the top boss was still quite alive... yeah we wiped within seconds.

Second attempt. More people go up top. This time, however, we have too many people on top, so the top boss is down to 20% while the bottom boss is at 45%. Then something happened on bottom, and everyone except one healer wiped. The boss killed the last healer, and then we all wiped.

Feels like your need people in voice chat for this.

Feels like your need people in voice chat for this.
    That's my impression as well. The mechanics themselves do not appear to be exceptionally difficult, though everybody who is present needs to know what to do otherwise they risk causing a chain reaction that leads to a wipe. Which puts it in line with the Eureka dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    That's my impression as well. The mechanics themselves do not appear to be exceptionally difficult, though everybody who is present needs to know what to do otherwise they risk causing a chain reaction that leads to a wipe. Which puts it in line with the Eureka dungeon.
    It starts off not too bad but the end fight has a crazy high dps and heal check, on top of a ton of aoe dodging. Though that was only from my first impressions.