1. #48981
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Finally remembered /playtime exists. Total since 2013 is 5,722 hours and 17 minutes or 238 days. I think i've officially in both hours put in and years actually played FFXIV more than i played World of Warcraft as my main mmo. Boy that is a weird feeling.
    My FF14 is 500 hours.
    WoW is 5000 hours.

    Replay FF14 story takes forever. It is not very alt friendly.
    WoW gives away free level 80 to 110. I end up with lots of alt.

    The road to 70 is useless, because the content patch (2.1 to 2.5, etc) is too much.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2020-09-03 at 01:28 AM.

  2. #48982
    Bloodsail Admiral Dugna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Man i am shocked how quick the levelling in ARR is now. I made an alt just to see since my main is basically just capping tomes at this point and in 2 days i got from a sprout at lvl.1 in Limsa Lominsa to a lvl.49 Summoner in Mor Dhona doing the quests leading up to the Castrum and Preatorium. Granted thats still a lot of patch content between there and Heavensward bu man they really shaved it down time wise. It made it a lot easier to get through and revisit stuff i forgot like how there was a lot more scions back at the waking sands that all get murderered and you have to collect their bodies and take them to Thanalan for a burial. I know its been 7 years but that seems like something i would have thought i'd remember. Also super weird that Tataru, Thancred and Minfilia basically vanish just before titan and Yshtola and Alphinaux replace them. I wonder if thats some of the quest shaving down or i just never noticed the first time but its odd given how important they become later that they are just gone for half the levelling process of the base game.
    its how it was before, the first scion you meet is based off your starting zone, but after that you just join each one slowly and learn more about them as you go. Yshtola is more focused on limsa stuff at the time of ARR so her being the one you do the titan stuff with isn't all that odd, while Tataru/Thancred/Minfillia are Ul'dah. When you go to do quests in Gridania areas you team up with Yda/Papalmyo.

    Also the burial stuff is one of the small touches along the way that help establish Scions as not some all powerful thing. Theres alot of death throughout the story, but its usually only the main characters you remember.
    Last edited by Dugna; 2020-09-03 at 04:25 PM.

  3. #48983
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugna View Post
    its how it was before, the first scion you meet is based off your starting zone, but after that you just join each one slowly and learn more about them as you go. Yshtola is more focused on limsa stuff at the time of ARR so her being the one you do the titan stuff with isn't all that odd, while Tataru/Thancred/Minfillia are Ul'dah. When you go to do quests in Gridania areas you team up with Yda/Papalmyo.

    Also the burial stuff is one of the small touches along the way that help establish Scions as not some all powerful thing. Theres alot of death throughout the story, but its usually only the main characters you remember.
    Ah thats it. My main started in Uldah back in the day but i made this one in Limsa to get fast tank and heal jobs but man you forget how much certain characters like Thancred and Nanamo just don't show up much if you don't start in Uldah which at least story wise i do think is the better starting point for the story, particularly for all the Ala Mhigo stuff since Gridania and Limsa seem kind of forgotten to a degree after Ramuh and Leviathan.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  4. #48984
    I’m picking up where I left off: leveling a white mage in Stormblood. Anything I should know about the patch?
    Last edited by AryuFate; 2020-09-04 at 09:38 AM.

  5. #48985
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I’m picking up where I left off: leveling a white mage in Stormblood. Anything I should know about the patch?
    If you're in Stormblood then nothing has really affected you from the patch. If you haven't played since Stormblood then there are a couple of class changes that has happened, mainly how lilies are gained.

  6. #48986
    Bloodsail Admiral Dugna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Ah thats it. My main started in Uldah back in the day but i made this one in Limsa to get fast tank and heal jobs but man you forget how much certain characters like Thancred and Nanamo just don't show up much if you don't start in Uldah which at least story wise i do think is the better starting point for the story, particularly for all the Ala Mhigo stuff since Gridania and Limsa seem kind of forgotten to a degree after Ramuh and Leviathan.
    then further in ARR once you start doing quests in the zones that border each place you get mixed teams, its a nice touch overall.

  7. #48987
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,156
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I’m picking up where I left off: leveling a white mage in Stormblood. Anything I should know about the patch?
    Throw stones until your arm gets limp and then throw some more.
    If AoE: spam holy until your group goes blind and then spam some more.

    Only heal if absolutely necessary.

    Community accepted FF-XIV healer gameplay in a nutshell.

  8. #48988
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,860
    New Shadowbringers short story was posted this morning (spoilers for 5.3 MSQ)

    Spoiler: 
    If there was any doubt before, there is none now. The first Warrior of Light Elidibus was emulating - the figure he was flashing back to - was Azem, before the Sundering. Apparently Azem didn't wear his Amaurotine Mask (at least not while in that armor). Another reason why Azem was probably divisive.

    I wonder how many of the other primals were created by Lahabrea. I also wonder how the Amalj'aa came to learn of Ifrit and adopt him as their god. Obviously not all primals were based off of Lahabrea's ideas, as the Bismarck primal was based off of a real thing. Ramuh might have been an old wizard who was kind to the Sylphs. Titan seems abstract enough (the embodiment of earth) that I think he was a Lahabrea concept. Dunno about the rest.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  9. #48989
    Hythlodaeus tailors the gender of our old selves to the same gender of our playable character, so Azem can be female too. I guess then that it's a good thing most FF art of him is fairly androgynous, but the WoL still looks more masculine than feminine. Not a problem if your character is male though I suppose.

    While this is a pretty big reveal for our character, I cannot help but think this is also a reveal for Amautines as a whole. They were so massively tall that I could not possibly guess how they would have looked under their masks. But if Azem is any indication, they were basically just human but taller. This seems like the kind of stuff that should have been revealed in the MSQ rather than a short story only a tiny fraction of players will ever read.

  10. #48990
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Hythlodaeus tailors the gender of our old selves to the same gender of our playable character, so Azem can be female too. I guess then that it's a good thing most FF art of him is fairly androgynous, but the WoL still looks more masculine than feminine. Not a problem if your character is male though I suppose.

    While this is a pretty big reveal for our character, I cannot help but think this is also a reveal for Amautines as a whole. They were so massively tall that I could not possibly guess how they would have looked under their masks. But if Azem is any indication, they were basically just human but taller. This seems like the kind of stuff that should have been revealed in the MSQ rather than a short story only a tiny fraction of players will ever read.
    The MSQ in 5.3 does a pretty good job making that point clear, IMO. It doesn't spell it out explicitly, but the context and subtext going on in that stretch of quests when you return to Amaurot makes it seem like you wouldn't be experiencing those things, and hearing those things, or seeing those things unless you were someone who was intimately connected to the characters giving you those experiences, and there's only one logical reason for how that can be.

    The short story just solidified it.

  11. #48991
    Whoever thought that Warriors Nascent Flash shouldn't need a second target to cast on was absolutely correct. That is all.

  12. #48992
    I've been getting back into the FFTCG lately and saw this up for preorder, had no idea it was coming out but its apparently entirely shadowbringers themed rather than a soup of all the games like it was with earlier decks/sets?



    Kind of crazy to see them start putting out Emet Selch merch. Granted he's probably the most popular FF villain since Sepiroth or maybe Sin if you count it but still odd to see villains get merch outside of a brief period for Gabranth stuff. Hopefully he gets a bring arts figure.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  13. #48993
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,156
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Kind of crazy to see them start putting out Emet Selch merch. Granted he's probably the most popular FF villain...
    I do not see him as a villain at all. Merely an individual acting in self interest.

    He doesn't want to destroy worlds because he finds it fun, he does it because he deems it a necessity in order to restore his own.

  14. #48994
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I do not see him as a villain at all. Merely an individual acting in self interest.
    Isn't that a lot of FF villains though? just most of them go crazy along the way. I just look back and i think i've seen Ultamecia and Kuja get one figure each ever and thats about it. They have a line of XIV acrylic standees of the 'main party' and thats all the trust npcs from shadowbringers and emet as well. I'm not complaining since i think he is one of the better antagonists in the franchise and i would totally buy a figure of him like the one Yshtolas got coming i'm just used to the villains being kind of held back for dissidia cameos over the last twenty years.

    Like shit i don't think i've seen them make any merch for ardyn or any villains of FFXI for example.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  15. #48995
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I do not see him as a villain at all. Merely an individual acting in self interest.

    He doesn't want to destroy worlds because he finds it fun, he does it because he deems it a necessity in order to restore his own.
    Pretty sure a guy who wants to kill everyone living on all of the remaining shards for the chance that MAYBE Zodiark will bring his people back... is pretty evil? You realize that because your mind is warped and you have 'good intentions' it doesn't make what you're doing any less fucked up nor make you any less evil. Is it understandable? Yes, of course. His situation is very understandable. But keep in mind plenty of Emet's people did not agree with him and what he wanted to do, least of all Azem, who realized that Amaurotine's only cared about themselves, and their city, and thought nothing of sacrificing anything and everything else to their own selfish benefit.
    Last edited by La; 2020-09-17 at 10:59 AM.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

  16. #48996
    Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    least of all Azem, who realized that Amaurotine's only cared about themselves, and their city, and thought nothing of sacrificing anything and everything else to their own selfish benefit.
    This is stated nowhere in the game.

    Edit : Maybe you chose to interpret what we learn about them that way, but it certainly isn't the way I interpreted it.
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2020-09-17 at 11:40 AM.

  17. #48997
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I do not see him as a villain at all. Merely an individual acting in self interest.

    He doesn't want to destroy worlds because he finds it fun, he does it because he deems it a necessity in order to restore his own.
    That would be a villain.

  18. #48998
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    This is stated nowhere in the game.

    Edit : Maybe you chose to interpret what we learn about them that way, but it certainly isn't the way I interpreted it.
    Technically they do say the amourotines planned to foster the planet to be 'bursting with natural life' and then to sacrifice it to Zodiark to restore those who sacrificed themselves to summon him in the first place but a splinter group went against this saying the ancients had their time and instead of acting like gods it was better to let new life have a chance of their own. Along with all the "you are not fit to be the stewards of this star" and "you think your pale souls of equal worth to those i lost" certainly suggests the amourotines viewed themselves, in the majority at least, as something simply above all over life that only existed to service their own.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  19. #48999
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Technically they do say the amourotines planned to foster the planet to be 'bursting with natural life' and then to sacrifice it to Zodiark to restore those who sacrificed themselves to summon him in the first place but a splinter group went against this saying the ancients had their time and instead of acting like gods it was better to let new life have a chance of their own. Along with all the "you are not fit to be the stewards of this star" and "you think your pale souls of equal worth to those i lost" certainly suggests the amourotines viewed themselves, in the majority at least, as something simply above all over life that only existed to service their own.
    I thought the poster was saying that the Amaurotines thought of the other Ancients (the ones outside the capital) has inferiors.

    And also I really don't see where was the evil about their initial plan (before the Sundering). It is not stated that they would kill everyone all at the same time to revive their people. All they were going to do is no different than a farmer/sheperd tending to their crops/animals and recolting a part of it for food. (Maybe it's a harsh comparison but when they first appeared the new life forms probably looked the same to them as animals do to us.)

    And then a group of people went over everybodies head, against their government/the majority and decided to take a decision for the remaining of their people and dooming them. The real villains here are Venat and his comrades who summoned Hydaelyn and who started everything we have now.

    Edit : And of course they feel superior to us because objectively they are. Emet was in the right with what he was doing but we also were in the right in stopping him. That is what is so good about this storyline.
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2020-09-17 at 01:10 PM.

  20. #49000
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Apparently Azem didn't wear his Amaurotine Mask (at least not while in that armor).
    Wait, where does it say that? I've read all except Dream Partnership (and the one that just dropped today) and don't remember this being confirmed. Maybe I missed it or forgot.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    All they were going to do is no different than a farmer/sheperd tending to their crops/animals and recolting a part of it for food. (Maybe it's a harsh comparison but when they first appeared the new life forms probably looked the same to them as animals do to us.)

    And then a group of people went over everybodies head, against their government/the majority and decided to take a decision for the remaining of their people and dooming them. The real villains here are Venat and his comrades who summoned Hydaelyn and who started everything we have now.

    Edit : And of course they feel superior to us because objectively they are. Emet was in the right with what he was doing but we also were in the right in stopping him. That is what is so good about this storyline.
    This is disturbing. Doesn't matter how disabled a person may be it doesn't excuse treating them like cattle. Emet wasn't right to slaughter new generations of people because they didn't live up to his standards just to prop up his own. You are not right to murder your descendants because they don't live up to your standards or behave in a way you consider proper. Old generations die, new generations are born, the world only belongs to you for an instant before it's time to exit the stage and let the new actors continue the play. All you can do is hope they don't mess it up and hope you didn't mess it up either.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

    "If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •