Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Urianger is the most expendable of the main cast.
    His use of the English language is the most fun, so I disagree here.
    Take Thancred. Dude should have died during MSQ anyway.

Urianger is the most expendable of the main cast.
    • Alphinaud is the pretty much the main character of FFXIV after the WoL. Good chance of him being our adventuring buddies in further adventures after 6.0.
    • Alisae is an adventuring buddy, also is treated as a waifu as of 5.0, and waifus are seldom ever killed off.
    • Y'shtola has been treated as the poster girl for FFXIV, is very popular, has also been waifu-ized, so she won't die.
    • G'raha Tia already had a climatic "death scene". Killing him in 6.0 after 5.3 would receive a lot of backlash for milking. He's also too popular, has been husbando-ed.
    Urianger is pretty smart though. We're definitelly going to need him when we eventually go to Sharlayan.

That just leaves Thancred and Urianger. Thancred is more popular than Urianger, and is in a good position to peacefully retire his character after 6.0. Or he could be brought back for further adventures.

Urianger, on the other hand, doesn't have much going for him once the story ends. He is unlikely to go adventuring with the player after 6.0, and killing him off won't cause backlash. So if anyone dies in 6.0, it'll be him (and maybe Gaius).
    I honestly don't think anyone should die anyway.

Hydaelyn is a loose end and the writers probably don't want to write around her going forward. She's been oddly used; she regularly contacted the player in 2.0, but fell off of the map after that and the writers kept having to contrive reasons to justify why she wasn't involved as she should have been. "Oh, she doesn't have enough power to talk to us!". They've even used Hydaelyn to get rid of characters the writers found no use for, such as Minfillia. I think the FFXIV team wants to move past the Hydaelyn-Zodiark stuff to new, fresh territory after 6.0, so she's going to get axed. Not like it matters anyway since, again, no one cares about her as a character. They've already teased that she might get axed as of the 5.0 ending.
    But this whole past expansion was based on the events caused by Hydaelyn. The Sundering and the Ascians motivations because of it.

And tbh before ShB the Ascians were kinda the same. Appear here and there, more like sunday morning cartoon villains than proper ones, but then ShB happened and it remedied all that.

I think 6.0 will be focused on fixing the source of the sound. Already in 5.2 and 5.3, the Scions have been hearing the sound, and in 4.5 Matoya's magics were shorting out. I think the source of the sound will get worse. The Scions will go to Sharlayan (might be the next big city) and we will get a story about Sharlayan breaking out of their self isolationism and trying to help.
    Wait, when did that happen? Cause now I'm confused.

Afaik 6.0 will be the end of the Zodiark/Hydaelyn plot. I don't think the sound will get fixed that soon. Especially since the Amaurotines couldn't do it it seems weird that we'd be able to. I think that plot will take a few expansions to solve just like the Zodiark/Hydaelyn plot has.

Zenos/Fandaniel fully bring about the Final Days and an apocalypse occurs across Aldenard (maybe all of the Source?). The WoL faces Zenos in a 1 vs 1 duel and loses. Zenos and Fandaniel retreat to the last zone, which will either be the center of the planet, where the Source of the Sound and the Lifestream are, or they go to the Moon where Zodiark's essence is. Scions and WoL follow them and beat them. Then they fix the Source of the Sound (I don't think it's going to be the final boss). Hydaelyn either dies protecting the WoL from Zenos and/or Zodiark, or dies undoing the Source of the Sound, or something. Somewhere in here Urianger dies.
    I honestly hope that Zenos trying to merge with Zodiark will make Zodiark squash him like the little bug he is. And maybe we get to fight a weakened Zodiark with the help of Hydaelyn and after Zodiark is gone she will fade away because, her purpose being to serve as his shackles is no longer needed, and because of the lack of aether which will eventually get used up to help us fight him.

But tbh the devs will think of something else entirely.

Also, not sure how with Hydaelyn gone the shards will be affected. There's simply no way there's gonna be a mass rejoining for gameplay reasons.

Also, the source of the sound should also be shattered like everything else so it's probably dormant aswell. But maybe with Zodiark gone it will regain its power somehow?

People seem to speculate it's either Jenova or a big bad from Chrono Trigger (forgot the name).

That would be Lavos. =) And I much rather would have had a Chrono Trigger crossover than Nier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Afaik 6.0 will be the end of the Zodiark/Hydaelyn plot. I don't think the sound will get fixed that soon. Especially since the Amaurotines couldn't do it it seems weird that we'd be able to. I think that plot will take a few expansions to solve just like the Zodiark/Hydaelyn plot has.
    Amaurotines couldn't invent a time machine either when Graha did. Which is pretty surprising considering I suspect not even Allag tech is an even match for the ancients'. But my point is, just because the ancients couldn't do it doesn't mean we can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    That would be Lavos. =) And I much rather would have had a Chrono Trigger crossover than Nier.

Amaurotines couldn't invent a time machine either when Graha did. Which is pretty surprising considering I suspect not even Allag tech is an even match for the ancients'. But my point is, just because the ancients couldn't do it doesn't mean we can't.
    That's true however I still think it would be too early. I hope they build it up a bit before we tackle it. In the meantime we could go to Sharlayan, fully explore Ilsabard and hopefully go south to Meracydia? Though that could just be a wasteland if the Allagans glassed it. There's an island east of Shirogane and small islands between Aldenard and Othard like Thavnair. We could get an island hoping expansion. There's also the "New World" but I'm not sure what that is exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Wait, when did that happen? Cause now I'm confused.
    Here.

- - - Updated - - -

The Sound is going to be dealt with in 6.0. It's return was already imminent before Zenos decided "I'm going to reenact the Final Days". And Fandaniel is almost certainly the Convocation member who was twisted by the Sound during the summoning of Zodiark, as per the Ascian stones you pick up in 5.3. Resolving the Sound goes hand in hand with Zodiark and Hydaelyn.

Out of the Loop: Apparently I've completely missed something since I haven't been playing much of Shadowbringers due to time constraints. What's "the sound" again? Did I miss some overarching part of the MSQ somehow?
    FFXIV: Zelliaind Rageborne - "FC Daddy" of Log Horizon <Lv??> on US-Leviathan
    FFXIV: Nihzoh'sae Grimwolfe - Co-Lead of Crimson Lotus Rebirth <_Ryu_> on US-Malboro

Quote Originally Posted by Zelliaind View Post
    Out of the Loop: Apparently I've completely missed something since I haven't been playing much of Shadowbringers due to time constraints. What's "the sound" again? Did I miss some overarching part of the MSQ somehow?
    5.0 MSQ ending
    Spoiler: 

Everything was peaceful until the Ancients started hearing a "Sound" from beneath the center of the earth, a sickness of the planet. The Sound distorted the creation magics that the Ancients wielded, eventually resulting the Final Days as their magics spun out of control. In a last ditch attempt to save themselves, the surviving Ancients sacrificed half of what remained of themselves to summon Zodiark, which rewrote the laws of reality on the planet to prevent the use of creation magics. But the Source of the Sound was not fixed and as of 4.5 it's starting to come back again, which magic going haywire. Worse, is that the Sundering of the planet into 14 pieces hasn't stopped the Sound, as in 5.2 the Scions are hearing the Sound even while on another shard.

In 5.3 we found out that during the summoning of Zodiark, one of the convocation members apparently got screwed up, probably by the Sound. Said convocation member is almost certainly Fandaniel. Zenos wants to recreate the Final Days, and he's now working with Fandaniel. It seems pretty obvious that 6.0 is going to culminate in us confronting the Source of the Sound.

One of the reported trademark names for the 6.0 FFXIV expansion is "Forspoken", which means to curse or enchant or bewitch something or someone. That'd line up with 6.0 being about the Sound and its effect on the planet. It's even addressed as a sickness by Lahabrea in 2.0.

5.0 MSQ ending
    Spoiler: 

Everything was peaceful until the Ancients started hearing a "Sound" from beneath the center of the earth, a sickness of the planet. The Sound distorted the creation magics that the Ancients wielded, eventually resulting the Final Days as their magics spun out of control. In a last ditch attempt to save themselves, the surviving Ancients sacrificed half of what remained of themselves to summon Zodiark, which rewrote the laws of reality on the planet to prevent the use of creation magics. But the Source of the Sound was not fixed and as of 4.5 it's starting to come back again, which magic going haywire. Worse, is that the Sundering of the planet into 14 pieces hasn't stopped the Sound, as in 5.2 the Scions are hearing the Sound even while on another shard.

In 5.3 we found out that during the summoning of Zodiark, one of the convocation members apparently got screwed up, probably by the Sound. Said convocation member is almost certainly Fandaniel. Zenos wants to recreate the Final Days, and he's now working with Fandaniel. It seems pretty obvious that 6.0 is going to culminate in us confronting the Source of the Sound.

One of the reported trademark names for the 6.0 FFXIV expansion is "Forspoken", which means to curse or enchant or bewitch something or someone. That'd line up with 6.0 being about the Sound and its effect on the planet. It's even addressed as a sickness by Lahabrea in 2.0.

Yet ha ha bread accuses Hyda as being the root of it rather than the sound.

One day left. Pretty hyped. Mostly about the Eden finale though, since the MSQ is an entry to a new chapter I'm leaving it for last. Still though, can't wait to see where it leads.

24hour maintenance tomorrow though.

I logged off inside my house so I can preview the new furniture...

After that, I'll tackle the MSQ's, then Eden and lastly the new trial. Cyberpunk will be distracting me not long after the patch itself, though I'll be back to check out the new Ishgard and Bozja stuff.

I might have a static this time around.
    So my unlimited amounts of wipes on Shiva/Raid endbosses might come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I might have a static this time around.
    So my unlimited amounts of wipes on Shiva/Raid endbosses might come to an end.
    hehe - you might be surprised Week 1 pugs are some of the best players I've played with in Savage. better than my static, but we also have a pretty solid static this time, except I have a new co-tank, but he's also 95%+ so this should be a good tier for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    hehe - you might be surprised Week 1 pugs are some of the best players I've played with in Savage. better than my static, but we also have a pretty solid static this time, except I have a new co-tank, but he's also 95%+ so this should be a good tier for us.
    I'm too much of an introvert to look for random players all the time.
    I've always been playing with friends but we never got a full group and the 7th and 8th player has always been missing and it always takes so long to fill the slots and most of them are not willing to wipe either or are just on a different progress level, so it always feels like a full reset every week.

I hate that.

Hmmm gotta say the monk changes look pretty nice.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Hmmm gotta say the monk changes look pretty nice.
    As someone who wanted to play monk, but steered away from it due to design, I don't see any significant changes. Baseline GCD is 2 seconds now and main combos had their potency buffed, but nothing really changed. Am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    As someone who wanted to play monk, but steered away from it due to design, I don't see any significant changes. Baseline GCD is 2 seconds now and main combos had their potency buffed, but nothing really changed. Am I missing something?
    What was the design reason that made you shy away from playing monk (or do you mean style?).

I think that not having to maintain greased lightning stacks anymore is pretty big. Even if it happens naturally.
    But I never really played monk, but it seems to be a lot "easier" now? At least that's the impression I get (from a true non-monk player's point of view who has no idea about how the job plays out post Vanilla) when I read these patchnotes. Some RNG elements have been reduced too?

I'm actually pretty interested in trying it out now, since I'm playing SAM and they share gear anyway.
    (Eden gear is shared, right? Only currency gear is not? God it's been so long)
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-12-08 at 06:13 AM.

Seeing friends drop Shadowlands the day the raid comes out because of a XIV patch is a total mirror world scenario to a few years ago. The fact that i know they are all FF8 marks explains it though, a crumb, a drip of man with a machine gun please milord.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

What was the design reason that made you shy away from playing monk (or do you mean style?).

I think that not having to maintain greased lightning stacks anymore is pretty big. Even if it happens naturally.
    But I never really played monk, but it seems to be a lot "easier" now? At least that's the impression I get (from a true non-monk player's point of view who has no idea about how the job plays out post Vanilla) when I read these patchnotes. Some RNG elements have been reduced too?
    Maintenance buffs annoy me much less than heavy reliance of positionals and strange design of the rest of the class.
    Looking for Raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Maintenance buffs annoy me much less than heavy reliance of positionals and strange design of the rest of the class.
    Is there a DPS class in FFXIV that doesn't have some kind of maintenance buff/debuffs/DoTs? Aside from Red Mage?

Just curious, but what classes do you play?

With that said, Greased Lightning as a "maintenance buff" is gone which was the biggest thing the player had to watch out for really. Yes the baseline GCD is 2 seconds but now Greased Lightning is a trait you earn as you level, which means at max level the "baseline" GCD is less than 2 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually pretty interested in trying it out now, since I'm playing SAM and they share gear anyway.
    (Eden gear is shared, right? Only currency gear is not? God it's been so long)
    Most gear is shared across at least 2 classes, with the exceptions being Dragoon and Ninja.

Fending is for all tanks
    Healing is for all Healers
    Aiming is for Ranged Physical DPS
    Casting is for Ranged Magic DPS
    Striking is for Monks and Samurai
    Maiming is for Dragoon
    Scouting is for Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Is there a DPS class in FFXIV that doesn't have some kind of maintenance buff/debuffs/DoTs? Aside from Red Mage?

Just curious, but what classes do you play?

With that said, Greased Lightning as a "maintenance buff" is gone which was the biggest thing the player had to watch out for really. Yes the baseline GCD is 2 seconds but now Greased Lightning is a trait you earn as you level, which means at max level the "baseline" GCD is less than 2 seconds.
    Currently nothing, I've tried every class, but was bored of every single one eventually. That's why I was looking forward to revamp, but eh, probably shouldn't bother until they announce something for 6.0.

2 seconds I've mentioned are with the last tier of the trait (-20%), so I'm not sure why you say GCD is less than 2 seconds. Unless you mean that everyone has at least some skill speed on their gear.
    Looking for Raid.