Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    The bolded ones are wrong. They create key plot points 2 expansions ahead. They already thought up Shadowbringers when the HW patch cycle was happening. And if they did that then they already had plans for Emet. Maybe not in fine detail, sure. But key plot points already existed.
    I know from interviews that they create 1 expansion ahead (writing HW during ARR, writing Stormblood right after HW came out, writing Shadowbringers right after Stormblood came out), but I've never heard that they write 2 expansions ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerescape
    The development process for Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers started in Summer of 2017 shortly after the release of Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood. Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida approached the team with a few directives: “Let’s go to the First!”, and “It would be cool to add trusts and bring the Scions into the dungeons.”
    Link

According to the article, after Stormblood launched, Yoshida and Ishikawa and Oda went behind closed doors in an office and did a boot camp for a few days and brainstormed the story of Shadowbringers, and the 5.0 story went through several rewrites. Emet didn't even exist in the first draft (and this was AFTER Stormblood had launched, mind you, so there was absolutely no intention of Solus being Emet at the time of ARR and HW).

Her first draft of the full Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers main scenario had Ascians, Ardbert, the Crystal Exarch’s narrative and the Scions plot lines. An interesting omission from that draft was Vauthry’s sections, as the Sin Eaters were originally controlled by Eden. The idea of restoring night to the areas of the world one by one by defeating the Lightwardens was not featured at all. In fact, there was only Eden as the final boss.
    Link

Neither Emet-Selch nor Solus are mentioned in this first draft, not even as antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinfinite Interview
    Naoki Yoshida: Before Stormblood we thought that there should have been a link between the Ascians and Garlemald, and we realized that everything made more sense if Garlemald was actually a creation of the Ascian.

We had this ancient character, emperor Solus, and we thought that using him worked in our favor. That’s the background of the inception of the Ascian as they are now.

Also, Emperor Varis has been experimenting on creating clones in Garlemald, and he is involved with Solus as well.

Ishikawa-san wished to humanize the Ascians and Emet-Selch, and to explore them as characters instead of leaving their vision unclear.

The idea of Emet Selch drew inspiration from Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbeanm series, with the goal of adding more human elements on top of that.
    Link

Yoshida admits that Garlemald and Solus were not intended this way until they began writing Shadowbringers, when they retconned them because it was convenient.

As for the Crystal Tower series:

Gamer Escape: One of the bigger elements of Shadowbringers is the Crystal Exarch. When did you decide that you would bring back G’raha Tia?

Ishikawa: When we first introduced the Crystal Tower series and the conclusion it had, the team did have this feeling of “Oh we would love to have him come back in some way, some time” and we still hadn’t pinpointed when we wanted to introduce him back. Those two ideas existed and when Yoshida brought up the idea of Shadowbringers, when we were trying to decide on the story and the central gimmick of where we want to take the narrative, I felt it would click to have him come back and that it was the appropriate time.
    Link

It seems that the only thing that might have been planned since HW was the Warriors of Darkness/going to the First thing, which I can find no comment on.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-12-20 at 04:36 AM.

Just a nitpick, but we knew Solus was dead in ARR. Yugiri says as much in 2.2 when she's introduced, and the civil war is ended in....2.4? i can never remember which patch it is in, but Varius ascending to Emperor is established then.

Generally speaking, some aspects of the story are planned out in advance but others are just tweaked or expanded upon later in development. Some aspects of the story seem to be handled much better than others. In regards to the Ascians and Garlemald, I suspect something entirely different was planned for both but each has their roots firmly in 1.0 and one of the major writers who worked on 2.0 and 3.0 left the team at which point some of the dangled plot threats were abandoned almost entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Generally speaking, some aspects of the story are planned out in advance but others are just tweaked or expanded upon later in development. Some aspects of the story seem to be handled much better than others. In regards to the Ascians and Garlemald, I suspect something entirely different was planned for both but each has their roots firmly in 1.0 and one of the major writers who worked on 2.0 and 3.0 left the team at which point some of the dangled plot threats were abandoned almost entirely.
    Which plot points were dropped, again? I know that the Presence of Silver Tear Lake (which might be retconned into the Sound), and Roaille's insinuations never went anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Which plot points were dropped, again? I know that the Presence of Silver Tear Lake (which might be retconned into the Sound), and Roaille's insinuations never went anywhere.
    A lot of stuff related to Regula and Varis. They're described as firm friends with decades of history between them and Regula shows up during the 2.0 MSQ's on a handful of occasions. The Warring Triad quests pick up his story once more and leads to his death through a heroic - if unintended - sacrifice. We learn he's a very honourable guy and a reasonable fellow but he's not mentioned again in that context even when it makes sense to bring him up.

Personally I feel that's a major oversight, simply because the game often likes to reference even very minor characters later on such as Meffrid. At the very least, I think there should have been an option to mention Regula during the peace talks with Varis. It was also a missed opportunity to have Regula's data be used in the Sapphire Weapon but not have any acknowledgement of the character himself. Granted, both are among my favourite characters but I do feel as if they were genuinely done dirty in some ways.

Got Christmas gifts for my FF friends. They've become like family. I hope they like em!

I thought they were candies

Emet Selch grape? Azem Orange? Pashtarot Strawberry? Sign me up!

Looks cool. Do they come with implanted memories of ancient times?

What flavour is Lahabrea?

Stale lahabread I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Looks cool. Do they come with implanted memories of ancient times?
    They do. And let me tell you, they sucked! Healthcare good tho.

And now for a very special message from the one true god:

https://www.bluemountain.com/view/r4...paign=receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    And now for a very special message from the one true god:

https://www.bluemountain.com/view/r4...paign=receiver
    Haha

This is how I feel after finishing the MSQ.

Well, I ended up going back to Raen. I missed being tall and my friends convinced me to do so.

Hopefully the Ishgard reconstruction isn't too far off now that Christmas and the New Year are behind us. I'd like some fresh content to sink my teeth into and I'm eager to see what the final part of the restoration project will involve.

After getting my GSM title, I am fore sure not doing any more of them expert crafts.

The FFXIV livestream (presumed to be the 6.0 announcement) scheduled for February 6th has been cancelled due to lockdowns.

Well, on the bright side, at least that means the time between the 6.0 reveal and 6.0's launch won't be as long. Won't have to spend as much time trembling in anticipation after the 6.0 reveal happens.

I wonder if the 6.0 reveal will happen before or after 5.5's release, now.

Maybe we'll beat the 5.5 MSQ, and then at the very end, BAM 6.0 cinematic!

Hopefully they'll just announce stuff through the official site/social media. I've long felt that livestreams have been a waste of time. When Yoshi-P had more freedom to discuss future plans they were pretty great but they've become increasingly clinical. We know for example that we're getting new MSQ's in each patch, though they insist on spending valuable time informing us that such is happening.

Pit Lord
    The actual announcement will still be on that day (just without an audience), the thing that's actually been postponed is the annual 14 hour stream where they hang out with guests and such.