1. #49681
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    fps is trash (cpu optimization non-existant)
    no anti-aliasing
    need to turn off other players just to get fps (From max to med setting)
    hbao+ is 20% gpu load by itself
    50% of graphic settings literally change nothing. Nothing.
    Every time Yoshi-P gets asked about Glamour collection he cries on stream and at night cries in his pillow that engine is so bad.
    True, the engine has it's limitations but "many characters taxing the CPU" is basically a problem in every MMO I encountered, including WoW.
    I did not notice the hbao+ thing on my card. Oo

  2. #49682
    Herald of the Titans Daffan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Computer Chair
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    True, the engine has it's limitations but "many characters taxing the CPU" is basically a problem in every MMO I encountered, including WoW.
    I did not notice the hbao+ thing on my card. Oo
    I am on 3060 ti atm and in open world my GPU load goes from 42% to 63% when going from "off" to "hbao quality+". Zero effect on FPS because not hitting GPU bottleneck.

    Slight increase in visual quality (like <5%) with the added shading on objects/models.

    It's pretty anal to think about tbh. But it's interesting nonetheless. I only started investigating when my fps was trash in cities, but that's because of the player models and how bad cpu optimization is in this game.

    63% ish gpu load = 181 watts gpu
    42% ish gpu load = 127 watts gpu

    less power = less heat = less fan.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.
    Classic+ Retune/New Boss Abilities >>> #nochanges crowd

  3. #49683
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The thing is... he has an army of fans helping him at everything. Where's the incentive for learning to play WAR when other people basically carry you? He would need to get out of the comfort zone of streaming to get the real experience of learning the game and its mechanics.
    Yeah, that aint gonna happen because he only plays it for stream shekels

  4. #49684
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    Flat tires can be reinflated and things that blow up too quickly can burst, the FF 14 vs WOW idiocy is the playground of dumbasses afraid to enjoy multiple MMOs.
    I wish I was a kid with no responsibilities again. Multiple MMOs sounds like a dream.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    It was awesome, because if you see that picture, you have a bald fighter, the guy with the dark armor, an archer, a mage that looks like the classic old mage (awesome) and the lady with nature magic....etc.
    In your first post about FFXIV you were complaining about it having "children" and school uniforms. FF2 (4) has children characters. See there, at the bottom? They're literally small children in your party. Also don't get why the very existence of fun transmog/glamour ruins the game for you. There's 1000 battle hardened outfits in the game and one school uniform. I think you'll live.

    Also you say you basically played the game for a day and change. And from your text it seems as if you went into the game already expecting yourself to hate it. When you go in thinking "damn I'm gonna hate this" then yeah, you're going to spend most of your time wishing you were playing something else. That's what people mean when they say go into an experience with an open mind. Considering much of your recent post history is you dumping on FFXIV or WoW and every few posts saying you're playing ESO and touting how totally uber awesome ESO is... it becomes pretty clear what's going on.

    Random question: Are you still within the first month or two honeymoon of playing ESO? Because again, being excited about playing another game is going to SIGNIFICANTLY detract from the attention you'd put towards a game you were approaching with an open mind.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver

  5. #49685
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    I am on 3060 ti atm and in open world my GPU load goes from 42% to 63% when going from "off" to "hbao quality+". Zero effect on FPS because not hitting GPU bottleneck.
    Hmm my 1070 goes from 68% to 58% between these two settings.
    FPS is constant at 60.

    @4K GPU load stays at 100% (obviously) and the option costs me 8 FPS from 30 to 38.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2021-07-12 at 03:50 PM.

  6. #49686
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamhaoingaturlife View Post
    Its a PS3 game, and it will always be a PS3 game.
    You can run this perfectly on a shoebox pc
    High and Max graphic settings were never available for PS3. It's a game that at one time needed to run on PS3, so they created versions of the graphic settings that would not explode a PS3. It's no longer offered on the PS3.

    Also, the difference in texture quality between ARR and shadowbringers is jaw dropping. There's a reason they dropped PS3 support. Many reasons. But a big reason was allowing them to support more defined textures and higher polygons without having to create different textures and models for low settings. But every new player is going to be subjected to ARR leveling gear, so I can see why people who didn't play very long would think the graphics are "low". Lest we forget that the FFXIV 1.0 stuff (where a lot of ARR assets are pulled from) was released in 2010 and likely had the average MMO development cycle of 4-5 years, meaning they started on it in 2006ish.

    For me though, graphics aren't one of the big things I look at in MMOs. Other games sure. Though I dislike MMOs that have very clearly dated graphics (WoW, EQ, whatnot) MMOs are made with graphics often far below the current tech simply because an MMO needs to appeal to a wider audience of PC owners. Good graphics and eye candy are something nice to have in a game, but literally anyone who complains that any MMO's graphics don't measure up to the hottest new game that runs at 50 FPS on a 3090 GTX has either never played an MMO or is just looking for a reason to dump on an MMO and they can't find one so they whinge about the graphics.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver

  7. #49687
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Also you say you basically played the game for a day and change. And from your text it seems as if you went into the game already expecting yourself to hate it.
    Fun fact about first impressions: when I first tried XIV, I played BLM for 2 days, was super annoyed and thought it butt ugly. I started in Thanalan and dear Lord that was depressing.
    A couple of months later my Buddy begged me to give the game another chance and I did. This time I started as a WHM in Gridania and pretty much instantly fell in love.

    Still think Thanalan is ugly though.

  8. #49688
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Fun fact about first impressions: when I first tried XIV, I played BLM for 2 days, was super annoyed and thought it butt ugly. I started in Thanalan and dear Lord that was depressing.
    A couple of months later my Buddy begged me to give the game another chance and I did. This time I started as a WHM in Gridania and pretty much instantly fell in love.

    Still think Thanalan is ugly though.
    I quit the game two times during trial before I got hooked into it the third time. These were many months apart.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alamhaoingaturlife View Post
    Yeah, that aint gonna happen because he only plays it for stream shekels
    Possibly, but at some point he's going to start banging his head against the wall if he doesn't take the time to learn some basic stuff (like a rotation). One can get away with playing like shit as a dps but that ain't going to last forever as a tank.

  9. #49689
    Herald of the Titans Daffan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Computer Chair
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    High and Max graphic settings were never available for PS3. It's a game that at one time needed to run on PS3, so they created versions of the graphic settings that would not explode a PS3. It's no longer offered on the PS3.

    Also, the difference in texture quality between ARR and shadowbringers is jaw dropping. There's a reason they dropped PS3 support. Many reasons. But a big reason was allowing them to support more defined textures and higher polygons without having to create different textures and models for low settings. But every new player is going to be subjected to ARR leveling gear, so I can see why people who didn't play very long would think the graphics are "low". Lest we forget that the FFXIV 1.0 stuff (where a lot of ARR assets are pulled from) was released in 2010 and likely had the average MMO development cycle of 4-5 years, meaning they started on it in 2006ish.

    For me though, graphics aren't one of the big things I look at in MMOs. Other games sure. Though I dislike MMOs that have very clearly dated graphics (WoW, EQ, whatnot) MMOs are made with graphics often far below the current tech simply because an MMO needs to appeal to a wider audience of PC owners. Good graphics and eye candy are something nice to have in a game, but literally anyone who complains that any MMO's graphics don't measure up to the hottest new game that runs at 50 FPS on a 3090 GTX has either never played an MMO or is just looking for a reason to dump on an MMO and they can't find one so they whinge about the graphics.
    The problem with the graphics meta these days is that the mid and almost certainly endgame is all about fashion-frame/tmogs/glamour. So good quality gfx or having a very good aesthetic/art-style (Like WoW tbh) is way more important to a ton of people these days than ever before. FFXIV is pretty lucky because even though it has crap graphics it has that asian porn art style that old single men prefer.

    Also back than u had crap looking singleplayer rpgs that weren't really that much better than mmo's. Now you have things like Origins and Odyssey that honestly look like something from another planet. Than you have FFXIV that looks 5x worse than modern games while also performing horribly at same time.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.
    Classic+ Retune/New Boss Abilities >>> #nochanges crowd

  10. #49690
    After what seemed like an eternity, I finally obtained all the blue spells and cleared all of the carnival. God Gogo was TOUGH! But felt so amazing when I finally brought him down.


  11. #49691
    Im still worried about the games story moving forward. Between the news of the cutting of Ivalice and my general view of ShB's storytelling -- I am waiting but suspicious.

    Hope Reaper is fun.

  12. #49692
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    FFXIV is pretty lucky because even though it has crap graphics it has that asian porn art style that old single men prefer.
    Eeh are you referring to anime?

    That being said: while nudity is not natively in XIV, it can be added.
    Including *gasps* exposed feet w/o sandals!

  13. #49693
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Somewhat agree. FFXIV isn't really going to live up as a replacement for WoW as an MMO. The main selling point is the JRPG part. Trying to sell people on the MMO part is rather misleading.
    Sure has for me.

  14. #49694
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Fun fact about first impressions: when I first tried XIV, I played BLM for 2 days, was super annoyed and thought it butt ugly. I started in Thanalan and dear Lord that was depressing.
    I'm lucky I picked Lancer when I first started playing (Which had nothing to do with a certain rat knight nor that lancer was the edgiest class available at the time...). The prospect of starting in ul'dah or limsa makes me want to stab my eyes out.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  15. #49695
    If only there was a thread where people can mindlessly bitch and moan while making up nonsense.

    Hmmm.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    Sure has for me.
    Same.

    These people making these blanket statements sure are...interesting.

  16. #49696
    Quote Originally Posted by Drindorai View Post
    If only there was a thread where people can mindlessly bitch and moan while making up nonsense.

    Hmmm.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Same.

    These people making these blanket statements sure are...interesting.
    See: I dont mind criticism in this thread, I think having a healthy dose of it now and then is fine. Previously, some of us had talked about some bad points in the story (not going to go into spoilers). I think genuine bitching is unneeded though.

    As for making it a main game, I personally cant do it. I just dont find the endgame that enticing to maintain a subscription plus I got a six month wait for content (3 for FF15 event).

  17. #49697
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    See: I dont mind criticism in this thread, I think having a healthy dose of it now and then is fine. Previously, some of us had talked about some bad points in the story (not going to go into spoilers). I think genuine bitching is unneeded though.

    As for making it a main game, I personally cant do it. I just dont find the endgame that enticing to maintain a subscription plus I got a six month wait for content (3 for FF15 event).
    The fact that I can dip in and out of this game without feeling like I'm missing out is one of its strongest points for me personally.

    I mean I stopped playing for a year and was able to come back and do all the content I missed whereas in WoW old content pretty much gets shelved once something new comes out.

  18. #49698
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    Sure, but there's a thread specifically for that. This thread seems like somewhere to actually talk about the game and share tips, stories, glamours, and whatnot. Splitting out what people hate about the game or what WoW refugees specifically like about the game allows people who are not interested in negativity or WoW to enjoy this thread about FFXIV without dealing with things they're not interested in. Personally, I find it rude of someone to come into this thread with their bitchfest.
    I generally agree - however, we also have a noob advice thread and also a other FAQ threads. People come to this one because its the most active out of any of them.

    I find criticism fine here -- relentless bitching is questionable.

    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    The fact that I can dip in and out of this game without feeling like I'm missing out is one of its strongest points for me personally.

    I mean I stopped playing for a year and was able to come back and do all the content I missed whereas in WoW old content pretty much gets shelved once something new comes out.
    Sure, I agree. Though, i wouldnt say the same thing if i owned a housing plot -- since that requires an active sub.

  19. #49699
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    I generally agree - however, we also have a noob advice thread and also a other FAQ threads. People come to this one because its the most active out of any of them.

    I find criticism fine here -- relentless bitching is questionable.



    Sure, I agree. Though, i wouldnt say the same thing if i owned a housing plot -- since that requires an active sub.
    Oh no I agree, housing is one of this games biggest issues. Not only is it hard to get a plot but once you do you pretty much have to commit to a sub or lose it. It's total BS.

  20. #49700
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    Slut magician?...I mean, this is the problem with this game, it really fulfill male sexual desires. Japanese love to sexualize their games a lot. ESO doesnt abuse this, and WoW stop doing it after Vanilla. Only some parts of MOP i remember seeing slut transmog, but most of the time, is decent armor design.

    Yuck slut looking armor on female....
    You need to go out a bit more if showing a little leg is slutty in your eyes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •