Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    MSQ 5.4 spoilers
    Spoiler: 

Most of the 13 Ascians are dead/seats vacant.

• Lahabrea: his grief drove him to become detached and insane, permakilled by Thordan in 3.0.
    • Nabriales: was permakilled by the Scions in 2.5.
    • Igeyorhm: permakilled by the WoL in 3.0.
    • Emmerololth: permakilled by Sharlayans when the Isle of Val was teleported into the Lifestream during the ARR patches.
    • Emet-Selch: permakilled by the WoL and Scions in 5.0.
    • Elidibus: permakilled by the WoL in 5.3.
    • Mitron: Sacrificed himself in 5.4 for Loghrif.

For the sundered Ascians, Elidibus and Emet-Selch could have found other shards to uplift and fill those seats, but we know that the FFXIV story in universe takes place over a small amount of time, and the unsundered were so busy there is pretty much no way that they would have the time to run their evil empires on the Source AND go to other worlds looking for another fragment to uplift. Nor does the story ever say seats are refilled during the story.

IIRC there are only 5 Ascians left.

• Fandaniel: gone rogue
    • Deudalaphon: status unknown
    • Pashtarot: status unknown
    • Halmarut: status unknown
    • Altima: status unknown

With the unsundered dead, I'm guessing that the Ascians have broken down and the 5 survivors are waltzing off to do their own thing. Fandaniel appears to be the only Ascian left who is actively antagonizing the Scions. For all I know the other 4 could have gone back to blend into society, or are trying to mess with other worlds, but they're not stirring stuff up on the Source. The resurrect Zodiark plan is over.
    But that's the thing, if Deudalaphon, Pashtarot, Halmarut and/or Altima are still on the source, Fannies schemes seem to stand in contrast to the idea of blending back into society if society is going to be wiped out by the second coming of the final days. So that leaves scheming on other worlds. But they know as well as fanny does from their last convocation meeting that Elidibus and Emet Selch are gone. And there is no reason for further scheming on other worlds to cause a rejoining if the source is about to be destroyed. If I'm a sundered ascian and I just want to retire or I want more rejoinings, it doesn't seem like I would have the luxury to sit idly by while fanny burns Eorzea. It's even possible that the Sound exists in some form in the core of all the other sundered worlds as well, making even them a risky bet for retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Polearms and Scythes aren't the same thing though. Polesarms are piercing weapons and scythes are slashing weapons.
    Polearms are all kinds of weapons, not just the type with pointy ends.
    But you are right. Scythes aren't Polearms, because a Scythe isn't a weapon, it's a farming tool.

The blade of a scythe however has been used on a pole(arm) - just not perpendicular to the pole.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-02-16 at 06:19 AM.

MSQ 5.4 spoilers
    Spoiler: 

Most of the 13 Ascians are dead/seats vacant.

• Lahabrea: his grief drove him to become detached and insane, permakilled by Thordan in 3.0.
    • Nabriales: was permakilled by the Scions in 2.5.
    • Igeyorhm: permakilled by the WoL in 3.0.
    • Emmerololth: permakilled by Sharlayans when the Isle of Val was teleported into the Lifestream during the ARR patches.
    • Emet-Selch: permakilled by the WoL and Scions in 5.0.
    • Elidibus: permakilled by the WoL in 5.3.
    • Mitron: Sacrificed himself in 5.4 for Loghrif.

For the sundered Ascians, Elidibus and Emet-Selch could have found other shards to uplift and fill those seats, but we know that the FFXIV story in universe takes place over a small amount of time, and the unsundered were so busy there is pretty much no way that they would have the time to run their evil empires on the Source AND go to other worlds looking for another fragment to uplift. Nor does the story ever say seats are refilled during the story.

IIRC there are only 5 Ascians left.

• Fandaniel: gone rogue
    • Deudalaphon: status unknown
    • Pashtarot: status unknown
    • Halmarut: status unknown
    • Altima: status unknown

With the unsundered dead, I'm guessing that the Ascians have broken down and the 5 survivors are waltzing off to do their own thing. Fandaniel appears to be the only Ascian left who is actively antagonizing the Scions. For all I know the other 4 could have gone back to blend into society, or are trying to mess with other worlds, but they're not stirring stuff up on the Source. The resurrect Zodiark plan is over.

- - - Updated - - -

There is some overlap between some classes.

Samurai and Dragoon both have abilities with cherry blossoms VFX.
    Samurai and White Mage both have abilities with a blooming flower motif.
    Samurai and Astrologian both have abilities with a moon motif.
    Paladin and White Mage both have abilities that use a light aspected elemental magic spell.
    Ninja and Black Mage both have fire, ice, and thunder elemental magic spells.
    Dark Knight and Ninja both have abilities that deal shadow damage.

A moon themed job is completely within the realm of possibility, but I'd associate a death themed scythe wielder with the underworld (which FFXIV literally has in the form of the Lifestream, literally located underneath the world, at the center of the planet), not the moon.
    Spoilers about what you said:
    Spoiler: 

So Gaius was hunting Ascians and collected some masks but actually he did not kill any of them or they were another kind of people?

Polearms and Scythes aren't the same thing though. Polesarms are piercing weapons and scythes are slashing weapons.
    Yes, but actually not quite. I kinda feel like we need to point out that many polearms (it's a pretty wide category which contains more than just spears) were often used more like axes or pike variants to get over defensive lines and split some heads from above, while scythes are mostly farming tools that can't really be used to properly slash nor stab in a thrusting motion. Only the inside of a scythe is usually sharp, so unless you get in really close and guide it close to your body it wouldn't really be much of a slashing motion.

But since this is all about anime fighting, while both of them can probably fill the same niche of spinning/sweeping attacks, because dragoon already has the piercing/thrusting angle covered it would most likely be more sweeping stuff.

While I'm not a huge fan of warhammers (or maces, what ever you wanna call it), I think a class centered around that could be interesting as well. It's another one of the classical fantasy anime motives (usually offensive dwarven blacksmiths) that isn't really represented in FFXIV yet. If they were to do something like that I just hope they won't pigeon hole such a class into just earth elemental damage/visuals, as that is often kinda underwhelming. But personally I'm still hoping for an offensive 2h dark melee class, which a scythe user would fit better.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShinobi View Post
    Spoilers about what you said:
    Spoiler: 

So Gaius was hunting Ascians and collected some masks but actually he did not kill any of them or they were another kind of people?
    Those were black masks, not the red masks of the 13 overlords. Black masks are just random people uplifted by the overlords to become their minions. You kill several of them in ARR city state intro questlines. The entire Summoner questline is about killing one. Thancred kills several offscreen during the Shadowbringers patches.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-02-16 at 05:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was talking about in the context of Final Fantasy, since both of these weapons have existed for some time in the series. Polearms in FF's case are spears/lances and scythes are legit weapons in the series and were the signature weapons of Dark Knights in FF11.

New Bozja changes

• The drop rate for loathsome memories of the dying has been increased for critical engagements in the Bozjan southern front.
    • The drop rates for haunting memories of the dying and vexatious memories of the dying have been increased for FATEs in applicable areas.

Here's the juicy part.
    • The number of loathsome memories of the dying obtained upon completion of the critical engagement “The Battle of Castrum Lacus Litore” in the Bozjan southern front has been increased from 1 to 5.
    • The number of Bozjan coins that can be obtained from personal spoils in the critical engagement “The Battle of Castrum Lacus Litore” in the Bozjan southern front has been increased from a total of 26 to a maximum of 100.

Well, nice to know that the coin grind goes 4 time faster. Doesn't change the fact that the current method of trying to get into Castrum is awful.

I was talking about in the context of Final Fantasy, since both of these weapons have existed for some time in the series. Polearms in FF's case are spears/lances and scythes are legit weapons in the series and were the signature weapons of Dark Knights in FF11.
    And the signature "weapons" of BTN in FFXIV

Those were black masks, not the red masks of the 13 overlords. Black masks are just random people uplifted by the overlords to become their minions. You kill several of them in ARR city state intro questlines. The entire Summoner questline is about killing one. Thancred kills several offscreen during the Shadowbringers patches.
    He does have a couple red masks, including Fandaniel's but since he never used white auracite they didn't really die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    And the signature "weapons" of BTN in FFXIV
    Another of BTN's signature weapons is a 2 hand axe, just like Warrior, so they obviously don't care if DoH/DoL have similar weapons to DoW/DoM.

I'm proud of myself. I managed to make it through the new raid without a single death.

Another of BTN's signature weapons is a 2 hand axe, just like Warrior, so they obviously don't care if DoH/DoL have similar weapons to DoW/DoM.
    Well, to be precise, the hatchet is a 1h-axe.
    Either way, as I said everything goes.
    I just think that 2 DPS classes using a polearm when there are so many more weapon types is a bit underwhelming to me.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-02-17 at 06:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I'm proud of myself. I managed to make it through the new raid without a single death.
    Wee, congrats. I still friggin hate the arrow mechanic on the second to last boss.

Well, to be precise, the hatchet is a 1h-axe.
    Either way, as I said everything goes.
    I just think that 2 DPS classes using a polearm when there are so many more weapon types is a bit underwhelming to me.
    While I'm not opposed to having different jobs use similar weapons, I struggle thinking of "many more" weapon types that make sense within non-present job archetypes. I feel like they've hit *almost* all of the low hanging fruit so any new jobs are going to start requiring genuine effort to differentiate them. The core to any job requires a thematic, mechanical, and weapon archetype.

The big issue is that new jobs are the second biggest feature of any new expansion and I believe they are going to start needing more development time when they have to create ideas from scratch rather re-purposing them from other source material.

I think they REALLY missed a cool opportunity with Blue Mage not being a whip wielding MP flavored tank by using Enemy Skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    While I'm not opposed to having different jobs use similar weapons, I struggle thinking of "many more" weapon types that make sense within non-present job archetypes. I feel like they've hit *almost* all of the low hanging fruit so any new jobs are going to start requiring genuine effort to differentiate them. The core to any job requires a thematic, mechanical, and weapon archetype.

The big issue is that new jobs are the second biggest feature of any new expansion and I believe they are going to start needing more development time when they have to create ideas from scratch rather re-purposing them from other source material.

I think they REALLY missed a cool opportunity with Blue Mage not being a whip wielding MP flavored tank by using Enemy Skills.
    I can't think of "many more" either, it's just that the most baseline of all weapons isn't even in there yet and since we are looking at Melee DPS I'd prefer maces over something exotic as a scythe which would also fit casters really well.

The only other unique weapon type I could think of would be indeed whips.

Casters can obviously use all kinds of weapons and be unique... like a "brush" for "Ink-Mages" or something.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-02-17 at 02:18 PM.

I can't think of "many more" either, it's just that the most baseline of all weapons isn't even in there yet and since we are looking at Melee DPS I'd prefer maces over something exotic as a scythe which would also fit casters really well.

Casters can obviously use all kinds of weapons and be unique... like a "brush" for "Ink-Mages" or something.
    Aside from the whip there are a couple weapons they don't have, like a mace, a flail, a bo staff, nunchacku, rope dart, meteor hammer, and of course the scythe to name a few. There are technically lots more, but the game has already included them as variations of already existing weapons, like the naginata as a DRG weapon. I'd personally be happy to see a nunchaku or rope dart wielding class because I'd love to see the animations for it.

They have a lot more leeway when it comes to caster weapons because they don't have to actually be practical, because....magic.

Hammer/mace would be quite an obvious choice. Its a standard weapon that still doesnt exist in this game minus one axe variation fom the dwarves.

But Ink Mage sounds fucking stupid and should not be a thing. IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Aside from the whip there are a couple weapons they don't have, like a mace, a flail, a bo staff, nunchacku, rope dart, meteor hammer, and of course the scythe to name a few. There are technically lots more, but the game has already included them as variations of already existing weapons, like the naginata as a DRG weapon. I'd personally be happy to see a nunchaku or rope dart wielding class because I'd love to see the animations for it.

They have a lot more leeway when it comes to caster weapons because they don't have to actually be practical, because....magic.
    Agreed on Casters for sure. However, a bo staff has a lot of identical animations as DRG and a meteor Hammer would use a ton of overlapping WAR animations.

Then when you marry these weapons with a theme or archetype they fall even more flat. What job would use Nunchucks? The two that instantly come to my mind are already in the game. How do you marry the weapons with a theme and differentiate it from existing jobs? Rope Dart IMO would be better served as a whip archetype or Kusarigama (which COULD have been NINs weapon and twin daggers given very easily to numerous other jobs)

I'm kinda at the point where a new job is significantly less exciting, but the idea of expanding existing jobs with varying abilities/roles would be more interesting to me. I'd love to play a Sword Saint iteration of PLD as a melee DPS with more focus on magical sword attacks. Give me my Agrias/Beatrix please.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Agreed on Casters for sure. However, a bo staff has a lot of identical animations as DRG and a meteor Hammer would use a ton of overlapping WAR animations.
    Different aesthetic for a bo staff though, many of the DRG animations always end with a stabby stabby kind of thing where a bo staff would almost always end with an impact on the side. Though I do see how all the flippy flashy stuff would overlap.

The meteor hammer I was referring to was THIS, so it wouldn't overlap at all with WAR.

Then when you marry these weapons with a theme or archetype they fall even more flat. What job would use Nunchucks? The two that instantly come to my mind are already in the game. How do you marry the weapons with a theme and differentiate it from existing jobs? Rope Dart IMO would be better served as a whip archetype or Kusarigama (which COULD have been NINs weapon and twin daggers given very easily to numerous other jobs)
    Good questions, and you hit on why they likely won't happen, I was just saying I'd love to see them animate it and be able to see it in game.

I'm kinda at the point where a new job is significantly less exciting, but the idea of expanding existing jobs with varying abilities/roles would be more interesting to me. I'd love to play a Sword Saint iteration of PLD as a melee DPS with more focus on magical sword attacks. Give me my Agrias/Beatrix please.
    A new class is always exciting to me as it just means more options, new aesthetic, new class story, etc...but if they were to allow for jobs to hold different roles and change their move set, like a DPS PLD Tank SAM, Melee RDM, or Caster NIN or something I'd be super excited about that too, even more excited than a new job because it would provide even more options.

Yoshi-P is so popular that even mobile gacha games add characters inspired by his wisdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though